Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I remember finding out about this series shortly after finishing the Mistborn trilogy. At the time I only found one blog entry about The Way of Kings and thought that was the series title.

Since reading the preview chapters, August 31st cant come fast enough.

A little off topic:
Does anyone know where I can find more information on his futuristic book that he is planning to write as well? I might be wrong in thinking it was Brandon Sanderson who mentioned the series, if I am I think it was Jim Butcher who said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Lzn64 posted:

Yeah Breeze and Sazed in particular are very well done I think.

It's the same guy that does the wheel of time series. I actually listened to all 13 books so far in audio format, I don't think I could have done that without someone as talented as him doing the narration.

Edit: God drat I just checked and thats just short of 420 hours of braid tugging in audio format.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said it's the same guy/world.

Yea, I remember reading something about all his books taking place in the same world just 1000's of years apart.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

arioch posted:

In Stormlight the Radiants, the angel analogues, give up on the war and told their people a lie about the war being over and that they finally won. Then the closest thing to a priesthood in that setting the Knights Radiant completely abandon their duties as well.

Wasn't there a priesthood who tried to take over politics and were overthrown and that's why they can't own anything now?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I was looking at that blog you posted for up coming books and noticed this: Steelheart (Superhero apocalypse.)

Its under the might come out list, its only partially written but I really want to see this finished.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Vaniljcola posted:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/06/the-alloy-of-law-excerpt
Prologue and first chapter from The Alloy of Law.

Only read the first few chapters so far and I cant wait for the book now.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Last Line of the prologue: “The best performances,” Tan said, smiling and looking down at Lessie’s figure, “are those that can only be performed once.”

Thats some dark stuff, I know the first Mistborn wasn't all flowers and rainbows but I didn't expect this and can't wait to get my hands on the whole book.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is it really steampunk though? The only engines described so far run off oil. Do people keep referring to this as steampunk due to the cover art or was there something in the story I missed?

So far we have gun powder, electricity and combustion engines right?

vvv yea its been referred to as steampunk almost everywhere I look just didn't know why, if Brandon referred to it as steampunk thats the answer right there. Also the victorian era thing you mentioned as well.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 16, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Affi posted:

But.. that is book 1 of 10 right? Which ones are finished? Warbreaker is complete right? That's only one book right? I somehow don't want to read Elantris.. so i'll postpone it.

Warbreaker and Elantris are complete, he might release follow ups later on but right now they are stand alone books. Warbreaker is free on his site and Elantris was his first book. People say Elantris is his weakest book but it is my favorite book next to The Way of Kings.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I would agree that Warbreaker is my least favorite book of his but It is still a really good book. The sequel to that book is the one I am most looking forward to though.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

If you want my opinion, go with his first book, Elantris, then move on to Warbreaker, and finish up with The Way of Kings.

This is the order I would go in as well, also Warbreaker is free on his site if you dont mind ebooks.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
If you want something a little darker I would suggest The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It starts with The Blade Itself.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3293685

If you want something lighter I'd suggest The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417391

There is a thread for both here in the Book Barn.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's darker, but unlike GRRM

Also no rape like GRRM.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

crazylakerfan posted:

:aaaaa:

Speaking of things, in the climax of Mystborn, how did they know to capture the Renault barge? I mean we were supposed to think that Marsh told them, but we later learn he didn't. Was it ever explained?

Captured soldiers from the battle that killed most of their army.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea the haze killers were troops trained specifically for fighting allowmancers and would use wood shields and staffs or clubs.

I thought I remembered them mentioning that the Ska solders that stabbed the lord ruler were using spears with stone or obsidian tips but I just checked and they don't say one way or the other. The Lord Rulers solders did have metal weapons during that fight though.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
He sets writing goals for himself and when he meets them his prize is to open a pack of Magic The Gathering cards.

He is a really big nerd if you haven't realized yet.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
So I just finished my re-read of the mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law. The witty comebacks and sayings were really bad in Alloy of Law. A lot worst then they were in his earlier books like Elantris and Warbreaker. It felt like he might of rushed the book a little bit and didn't have time to revise those sections.

I did really love Wayne's inner dialog and the way he thought as if he were the person he was impersonating. One little bit that got me thinking was how he always thought in third person when playing a role but he also thought that way when he wasn't playing a role. Almost as if Wayne was a role he played as well.

The action on the other hand was really great. Having Twinborns in the story made the action so much better.

I thought I remember Brandon confirming that this will not be a trilogy and no other books will take place right after this story but the way this book ended makes me really want to read more from this time period and see what happens next.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
There were some points where it was funny but then there are others that just fell flat. I feel he is getting better but had to rush this book so he couldn't go back and rewrite the really weak points like below.

“It’s all right, Wayne,” Waxillium said softly. “I’ve made a promise. I told Lord Harms I’d return Steris to him. And I will. That is that.”

“Then I will remain and help,” Marasi said. “That is that.”

“And I could really use some food,” Wayne added. “Fat is fat.”

Edit: On the other hand I found parts where he wasn't trying to be witty to actually be funny, like in The Well of Ascension when Eland went into the Koloss camp. On the way out decided to kill one to get one of their pouches so he can figure out what was in them. After he killed the Koloss the rest stood around waiting for him to explain why he killed the other Koloss. He ends up saying "He ate my horse". I don't know if it was intended to be funny but the way it was delivered actually had me laughing.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 5, 2012

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

syphon posted:

I can't identify exactly where the series went downhill, but it's fair to say I enjoyed it at first.

For me it was after he got tortured by a pain dildo and a little girl asked to join in, he then decided the best way to save her from torturing him was to kick her in the face hard enough to shatter her jaw.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Monolith. posted:

Not to distract from the Mistborn discussion but Way of Kings is 900+ pages? Holy moly. Should I read Elantis before that or after?

Elantris is his first book and it shows in some places, I personally love the book but a few people have told me it is their least favorite of his books. If you ask me The Way of Kings is his best book so far but if only being able to read the first book of a 12 book series will bother you then read Elantris first, if not start with The Way of Kings.

On the other hand Mistborn is a really good introduction to his work and the first trilogy is complete so if you haven't read those that might be a better place to start.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

How many conventions has this man been to this year? I swear every other week he's releasing a new book, attending a con, and playing magic tournaments with his fans. Burnout is for lesser men. :black101:

So is sleep apparently, I don't understand how he has so much time on his hands.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I laughed several times during Alloy of Law and and The Way of Kings but my humor might be broken.

If you go into knowing that the humor is bad it takes on a new light and seems intentional at that point and it starts to get funny. Almost as if the characters are self aware of how bad their jokes are and go with it.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

I hope this isn't a glitch, I would of been willing to spend a credit on this book but I hope this was Brandon's idea.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahahaha, first thing Sanderson says: "I love endings. I write everything towards the ending" Would never have guessed. :v:

Sanderson looks like someone I could meet at my office (I'm a programmer). On the other hand, Rothfuss looks exactly like I thought he would.

I didn't like the 2nd one and that might have been due to the fact that I only knew of one of the authors he had on as guests but the first Story Board was really good as well. So if you liked this one go check out the first one as well.

Edit: Best part is Jim Butcher is in some kind of hut out in the woods since he was currently on a LARPing trip.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 5, 2012

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Wrestler The Big Show was just name dropping Brandon Sanderson and how much he loves his books on Opie and Anthony. Also Brent Weeks but hey they can't all be winners.

He said that Brandon sent him a full set of Wheel of Time autographed and all his own books Autographed.

Even Brandon said he likes Brent Weeks, he mentions that if he had to pick someone to finish his Stormlight Archive series it would be Weeks.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
He also had child rape in his first book.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
The Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch is a good alternative if you want something like Dresden that is more serious.

Since we are in the Sanderson thread I should suggest The Grimnoir Chronicles. Takes place after world war one with a really detailed magic system. I had a lot of fun reading the first two books.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea that is odd, wouldn't Surgebinding drain the Shardplate of it's Stormlight? During the book it is shown that Shardplate with drained gems didn't function correctly and couldn't regrow.

Unless the Knights Radiant don't need Stormlight to Surgebind since they get their powers from Honorspren?

It's been to long since I have read this book, I want to start a re-read but I know I will be kicking myself when done since the new book wont be out for some time now.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

That whole whispersync thing is actually what got me to sign up for a free Audible account in the first place... but for some reason I just don't like the female narrator as much as the main one :geno:

Kate Reading? I felt the same for the entire WOT series but I like Michael Kramer to much so I just end up dealing with it. It did make me hate most of the female characters though.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

subx posted:

The only reader I've really had trouble with is Ralph Lister, the narrator for Malazan Book 1.

Its odd that you say that, I was upset to find out that Ralph Lister wont be finishing the series, he did the first 3 books and Michael Kramer will be finishing the series.

Now I have no issue with Michael and he was one of the first narrators I ever listened to (WOT) but I hate when the narrator is changed half way through a series.

I also think it might be the books and not the narrator, while everyone has different tastes I felt that Ralph Lister was one of the best narrators I have ever listened too and I have over 300 audiobooks in my audible library.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Someone in this thread described it best for me, Lightsong was the god of dad humor. I hosed loved that character's cheesy as jokes but there might be something wrong with me.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Audible has a preview of the first 5 chapters of Steelheart for free right now.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Sanderson has actually said if he ever dies before he finishes The Stormlight Archives he wants Weeks to finish the series.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

mewse posted:

I don't think bloody tan was anything supernatural, Lessie could have jerked into the path of the bullet to fake her death according to harmony's plan

that also fits with harmony saying he didn't make her do anything he just pushed her really hard

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Yarrbossa posted:

He's probably had the morbid thought as well (having completed WoT off Jordan's notes) that if he ever kicks the bucket prematurely, there's enough source material for someone else to step up and do the same for him. If that's in his wishes anyways.

He has actually already said if he died early and had the choice he would go with Brent Weeks to complete his works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks...

Did you read the light bringer series or his older work? The older stuff isn't that great but I loved his current series.