Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the characters will probably do some worldhopping by the midpoint, or shortly after, if this is truly some kind of opus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

crem and cremlings are weird as hell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the cool things i like about stormlight chronicles are that its typical shounen superpower stuff written by a mormon fantasy author and set on a hosed up alien planet constantly circled by a giant storm that rains wet cement and all the native life is bugs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

makes sense he would track cultivation down as the best choice to have nightblood. too bad

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

You say all this like it's a bad thing. As mysterious and intriguing as Hoid is, I would LOVE to see him taken down a peg or two.

Wayne is probably my favorite Sanderson character. As of the end of Bands of Mourning, I'm pretty sure that it's Wayne, not Wax, who will be best-remembered and celebrated by future generations. His philanthropic efforts in pushing scientific progress will revolutionize Scadriel. Wax will be remembered as a Wyatt Earp type, a folk hero, but Wayne is going to be their Edison.

edison was a fucker who sucked

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chernabog posted:

She is like the medieval version of "t3H p3nGu1n 0f d0oM"

ya it rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

rule 1 of reading any novel is Always Skip The Prologue, the Way of Kings just has like three prologues

wtf.....?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

basically brandon got told epic fantasy doesn't sell anymore, so he decided to go as self-indulgent and epic fantasy as possible for stormlight

Three prologues! Thirty magic systems! One thousand plus page books, limited only by the physical size of the publisher's printing press! Nine secret societies!

et cetera

why would u skip the first chapter of a book though lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

if it were important it'd be called chapter 1, calling it a prologue indicates the author secretly knows this poo poo is superfluous to telling a good story

this is so dumb......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

can you name a book that was significantly improved by a prologue?

There are a lot where the prologue makes the book worse (easy examples are lensmen, and szeth's tutorial mission in stormlight).

To further attest to the prologue's status as a book's vestigial organ (a status it ironically does not share with the appendix, which is sometimes useful), literary agents commonly skip the prologue when reading samples.

ah....i see. u are a retard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

[guy posting in the reading books section]: anyone else do this cool trick where u dont read the first part of the book in case its bad
[dozens of other people]: yes absolutely. here is our strategy for judging whether or not to read the first parts of books by looking at their covers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

couldn't think of any examples, could you?

literally every book with a prologue, guy. every part of a book is essential

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dbz rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Stormlight is basically western High Fantasy viewed through an anime lens...so yeah. Spot on.

imo, its anime viewed through a western high fantasy lens

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I enjoy me some video games, but I haven't gotten hyped about a video game since Diablo 3, which was a crushing disappointment. If we got a game like The Witcher 3 but in Roshar I'd pre-order that poo poo and go to the midnight release so hard.

It would need to be based on original characters rather than Kaladin or anyone we know, but drat it would be so cool.

And living with the knowledge/presumption it'll never happen, or it will probably be some budget studio to make a Cosmere game, is bumming me out. Like I'm super skeptical about that Chinese company working on the movies.

check out bloodborne

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

is there really a character named sean-chan

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not a character, an empire. And apparently it's pronounced "Shawn-chan" which makes it even dumber.

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

they cant produce a tv show w/ an empire named shawn-chan

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

angus-kun

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

they speak in a new orleans patois and wear aztec ceremonial robes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ya after reading One Piece its like, of course its long. it has to be that long or it wouldnt be perfect

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

eke out posted:

BOTL can you share which Brandon Sanderson character you'd enjoy see bone down the most?

dalinar

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pole's essentially a mute Irish girl in not-France so everyone calls her a savage like how other nations refer to each other as barbarians. She's also literally so powerful that gods are afraid of her and even Taniel is to some extent because blood magic doesn't gently caress around in this setting. Vlora is treated pretty terribly in the first trilogy and the only real upside to her cheating on Taniel is they both eventually accept that maybe they weren't in love with each other like they thought (and they were mainly together in the first place because of Tamas).

The second series (10 or so years after the first trilogy) is better if someone wants a nice treatment of characters these aren't the books to read. Still a better series than anything Abercrombie has written at least.

abercrombie kicks rear end

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

waveform is the shape parshendi take to surf

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

When will I learn who Hoid is? Which series is he part of? Stormlight?

hes you, the reader,

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

So then it's a budget problem and not with the medium itself

uhh.....yeah lol. any b sanderson adaptation would have to have a massive budget to work in live action and it would inevitably have most action sequences cut down or outright removed to save money

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

If the show is just going to be a CGI fest, I'd rather just have any adaptations of the books be completely animated.

Here's a shocking fact for you: the MCU films look like complete dogshit.

cgi is, by definition, animation, so for a consistent visual presentation they should have the whole project be animated instead of just the action sequences

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Again, taste is subjective.

It's cool if you guys like it, but that art style isn't my bag. Regardless of taste, saying that's the only way his stuff can be adapted to the screen is OBJECTIVELY not true.

the most appropriate format would probably be cgi series like star wars the clone wars

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

That's a weird way to spell 'whoever made Castlevania for Netflix'

Clone wars style animation for SLA though, that I could get behind. Fits the tone better IMO

yeah i was thinking of stormlight. mistborn is absolutely anime

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I'd much rather see something animated so it doesn't have to cleverly hide the fantasy elements (or cleverly hide the fact that half the actors aren't trained to do stunts). Even prestige TV like Game of Thrones or the Expanse limits the effects shots and action choreography because of budget and production quality. Regular stuff like The Flash is 90% talking heads because action scenes are too difficult to do properly.

Anime is poo poo, but there is animation that's not anime. Just don't make it horny and it's 80% of the way to not being garbage.

anime isnt poo poo. look at this https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/117031

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

seeing stormlight animated with the level of care given to demon slayer is about a million times more appealing than seeing a bunch of mediocre tv actors running around in styrofoam armor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

One Punch Man season 1 single-handedly changed my entire opinion on anime, the animation was INCREDIBLE. The manga is even better, the artist conveys motion through still pictures so well.

yeah saying “anime is poo poo” is a dead giveaway that the only anime youve ever seen in saturday morning cartoon trash like pokemon and dragonball z

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

like cmon this is brandon sanderson superpower fight bs as gently caress https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/114116

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Anime isn't poo poo because the animation is bad. Anime is poo poo because of weird horny tropes, shy/antisocial weirdo main characters who are clearly self-inserts for a maladjusted audience, and an insistence on both reducing every character to a single personality trait, and having every character narrate every emotion they experience instead of just showing us.

every medium has trash in it. you dont see me posting in the kingkiller chronicles thread

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

brandon sanderson’s books are for real the most shounen-rear end literature ive ever read, in every single aspect. if you love cosmere books but hate anime you are deluding yourself

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The “anime is poo poo” take is not only incredibly stupid and ignorant, but also bordering on racist.

its basically the same as saying western fantasy literature is poo poo because ancient but beautiful elves sleeping with normal aged humans is gross and orcs are a metaphor for foreigners and minorities

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lift is actually the only good character

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

eke out posted:

it's a fun theory but i think, after book 4, we know pretty explicitly that Lift's wish that she believed should stop her from aging was actually interpreted differently by Cultivation, which is why she's in such denial/so unhappy about hitting puberty and it becoming obvious that she IS in fact changing.

just how metabolizing food into Lifelight stops her from changing in a way that technically fulfills her request is an open question, of course

i suspect lifts boon is that her lifelight metabolizing power will allow her to never grow old, which is distinctly different from what she wanted, which was to remain a child

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Within the book, Raoden uses Elantris magic as an illusion to disguise him as a Dula named Kaloo. The Dula are constantly described as having dark skin. When playing the role, he plays to the stereotypes of Dula. Sarene even mentions how Kaloo feels like a perfect walking stereotype of everything people say about Dula.

How is this not blackface?

i guess it is blackface, if youre a reductive moron that ignores context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

this backs up my belief that audiobooks are an insanely bad way to read books