Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished Bands of Mourning.

Overall it was enjoyable. It was cool to see Sanderson finally explore what can be done with the weirder metallic powers, like Investiture and Connection - I was really scratching my head about those, after reading about htem in the appendices.

The end left a extremely sour taste in my mouth. Introducing a new Cosmic Enemy Who Wants To Destroy The World in the last ten pages, presumably to set the stage for the final book, is such an obvious afterthought. It's also one of the most common and tired tropes in fantasy literature, and very hard to do properly. It's one of the things which has put me off Jim Butcher's writing in the past few years, because he seems totally incapable of writing a book without reaching for that tired, threadbare trope.

He already explored that trope with Ruin in the first Mistborn trilogy, and did it very well. The second trilogy had so far been on a much more human level, with the struggles being between human adversaries with differing views on the world, instead of a cosmic battle between good and evil. The cosmic battle was taken care of, and now we were exploring what happens after the Angels win, which was, to me, one of the things that made the Wax/Wayne series so very enjoyable. But now, in the last ten pages, as an afterthought, we find out that Suit/Set has been working for this new, spooky Cosmic Enemy this whole time.

It really, really strains the suspension of disbelief that this Red Mist or whatever has been lurking in the background this whole time. Sazed doesn't even mention it in the chapters where he's ascending to become Harmony, despite being a omniscient god-being. Did he just not feel it was important? Until now, the Mistborn world has felt fantastically solid, and consistent - It's felt like a very real world that Sanderson is exploring, instead of making it up as he goes.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That's correct, also people have since pointed out to me that it's all part of Sanderson's giant meta-series, which apparently encompasses almost all his books, and will at some point intertwine more heavily. I still don't like it. :shrug: