Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I really can't wait for this book to be released. I'm a huge Sanderson fan; he's extremely good at avoiding the problems that often hit other genre writers and his characters, plots, and worlds are extremely well thought out. He's rarely overly descriptive and never overly wordy.

I'm basically a huge Sanderson fan. How are his YA books, though? I haven't read them but I'm thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!

Streebs posted:

I'm not sure that Dragonsteel is the book/series that he will connect all the shards but it's definitely a planned world he wants to write about. Actually I'm fairly certain Sanderson already wrote Dragonsteel as his thesis at BYU. It's in the BYU library and you can get them to send it to another library if you really want to read it. I read on Sanderson's forums some people that have done exactly that.
Unfortunately, it now appears to be missing from BYU's library. I decided to look it up and see if there was a way to borrow it and its status says it's lost.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
A new Alloy of Law sample is up: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/07/the-alloy-of-law-chapter-four

I'm immensely excited for this novella. And Stormlight Archives 2. And pretty much anything Brandon Sanderson writes.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Well, The Emperor's Soul arrived in the mail today. I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it so far, though not much has "happened."

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!

Kreeblah posted:

Did you order yours from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm kind of annoyed that my copy hasn't even shipped yet since it means I won't have time to pick it up from my apartment's leasing office until next weekend. :sigh:

I preordered it on Amazon back in June. As far as I know there isn't an ebook.

Anyway, I enjoyed the novella (and its afterword, which just further demonstrates how crazy Sanderson is when it comes to his inspirations), but of course it left me wanting more. Unsurprisingly, the characters weren't as fleshed out as those in his longer works, but his maturation as a writer (from Elantris to the present) is still pretty clear. I'm so excited for Stormlight 2.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I can appreciate a lot of Sanderson's humor. From my perspective, a lot of Shallan's jokes are flat-out terrible, both inside and outside the context of the universe, but I think that's part of the point. On the other hand, I found Lightsong to be hilarious, probably because I love dad humor.

On another note, who else would love to see an HBO-quality series based on something by Sanderson? When I was reading White Sand a few years ago I thought it could be an excellent work to adapt since it's unpublished and, therefore, highly malleable without upsetting fans. Of course, there wouldn't be any sex unless HBO shoe-horned a bunch of it in, so who knows how that would go.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Just read Sixth of the Dusk. I really enjoyed it, but it left me wanting much more, of course. Is it set on Hoid's world? And does Sanderson have anything else planned that's directly connected to this short story?

Edit: Upon further reading, it looks like Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell may be the one set on Hoid's world. So what's the deal with Sixth?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I ended up staying up really late last night reading Perfect State and drat, was it worth it. I feel like Sanderson has come so far since Elantris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Finished Shadows of Self a few days ago, after a re-read of Alloy of Law to refresh my memory of the characters. I actually enjoyed Alloy of Law a lot more this time around--when I read it post-release in 2011, I think I was a bit disappointed by its smaller scope, but I enjoyed the less epic nature of it this time around.

I enjoyed Shadows of Self, too, though I don't think I was blown away by too many moments. The ending revelation about Lessie was a great twist. I wonder if this was Sanderson's original intent when writing Alloy of Law... It seems like Wax will be able to properly grieve/get over Lessie now, and I'm interested to see how his relationship develops with Sterris. I can take or leave Marasi, for the most part. She's fine, but not an incredibly interesting character, I think.

I'm a pretty non-critical reader of genre fiction, and I love Sanderson's works, but I do have to make an extra effort to not find Wayne annoying... His personality is one thing, but the fact that a grown adult can't understand why "borrowing" things isn't okay means there must be something wrong with him. I don't know if Sanderson is consciously writing him this way, but I feel like he has to be somewhere on the autism spectrum.

Really getting spoiled by the January release date of Bands of Mourning.