Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hi! I’m listening to the Mistborn audiobook and am enjoying it a lot!! I’ve never experienced any Sanderson, but this book is pretty loving good so far and I’m only a few chapters in.

I wish I wouldn’t have seen the spoiler that Kelsier dies at some point while looking up the book originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

eke out posted:

also you can kinda intuit that he's the wizard sent to guide the main character and therefore must die due to fantasy genre conventions lol

(definitely do not mouse over any of the spoilers on the last page where we were talking about that series though)

Yeah, when I started the books, I didn't know anything about them other than the "imagine if Frodo kept the ring and became and immortal tyrant" premise, so based off the prologue, I thought Kelsier was the main character and Vin was going to be like the main sidekick or something.

I'm only through Chapter 3 in the book and I'm loving stoked to continue it.

I was talking about my journey to this place in the general discussion thread. I'd been in grad school for years and generally busy so I've only personally read a handful of books in the last 5-6 years. I've started a gently caress ton of books, but ended up getting bored/distracted by them. Nothing really has hooked me too much. I think the last book I finished to completion myself was The Name of the Rose and that was like 5 years ago.

Due to my industry still being completely decimated from COVID, I recently took up delivery driving. I've never been an audiobook person before, so I decided to give it a shot. Which book did I pick first? One that has been sitting on my book shelf untouched for nearly a decade: Perdido Street Station. Boy was that like jumping into the loving deep end of the ocean as someone who hasn't read in a while. I got about 90 minutes in and was tremendously bored. The book isn't bad and I fully intend to get back to it someday but boy is that not the book to listen to while doing deliveries where you may be constantly interrupted. That book requires a relaxing quiet place, a glass of wine, and no distractions.

I refunded that audible credit and picked another book. Ended up landing on Mistborn. I've never read any Sanderson before, but I remember someone on one of the podcasts I listen to mentioning that he enjoyed the book.

From the very prologue with Tresling, I was on the edge of my loving seat. It's fun, fast, easy, and pulpy. Exactly what I needed. I don't mean any of those descriptors in a negative way.

Maybe I just appreciate that the book is fairly easy to follow. I'm sure there's some nuance along the way, but in a way, it feels more like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. "This is a big, obviously evil empire. These other people are the good guys. Now get to it."

Needless to say, I'm gushing over this book and look forward to exploring the rest of the series as well as, hopefully, some of Sanderson's other works. I'm only like 2.5 hours into this audiobook and I'm hooked harder by this book than I have been in a long time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

eke out posted:

lol yeah i love those books and i still couldn't imagine trying to keep track of Mieville's language while being distracted with anything else, there's too much 'puissance' everywhere

I mean, not to mention that in the first 90 minutes of the audiobook (which is about the first 50 pages of the paperback), nothing loving happens. And I constantly find myself skipping back 30 seconds to re-listen to parts because it's just a bunch of CONTEXTLESS NOUN. I feel like The Name of the Rose would be easier to digest in audiobook than Perdido - maybe just barely.

For now, I'm trying to keep myself to only listening to Mistborn while doing my drives but boy is that hard. It is an intensely satisfying book that gives me exactly what I desire. When Camon was abusing Vin, I was able to think "oh, he's gonna get it" which, he did. And that owns. It was the same for Tresling in the prologue. It isn't, so far, very complex or anything in a way that I appreciate. I'm sure that the complexity builds over time, but right now there are characters that are obviously mustache-twirlingly evil and so there isn't any question that they're the "bad guys." It's just immensely satisfying.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Not reading and spoilers or anything but just wanted to say that y’all weren’t kidding about the first Mistborn novel feeling like a heist film. I just met the crew.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like the audiobook only helps heighten the feeling of it being a heist film as well. The narrator does well giving each prominent character a different accent so it feels like a ragtag group of diverse individuals. Despite it being a fantasy novel, it almost feels very sleek and... modern?

It’s very good and I’m only at about 5 of 25 hours in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finished part one of the book. Really enjoying it. Was worried that Kelsier’s cavalier puckish rogue attitude as going to grate on me. It comes close at times but there’s enough sincerity there that I don’t mind it.

I hope that we get to a point where every scene isn’t just *stuff happens* and “Vin reacts with distrustful suspicion.” That’s getting tiresome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm definitely ready for The Final Empire to pick up. Ever since Vin and Kelsier linked up, it's been... a bit slow. Not bad, by any means, but her spending time with the crew and stuff has started to make things feel so far removed from the fear and horrors of the first few chapters. I mean, the book starts out with Lord Tresling's plantation and you get to see this poo poo slave world where lives are meaningless. Then with Camon there's just brutality and the constant fear of inquisitors. Then Kelsier comes on the scene and while Vin is distrustful, things have been far too chill. It's been like 6 chapters with no tension.

Currently - my main fears are possible events that would cause character regression for Vin. I worry that 1 - someone on the team will betray them, causing Vin to become more distrustful again or 2 - Reen will reappear and cause regression for Vin.

Any type of character regression to her being more paranoid around people again would just be boring because we know she'll get over it win in the end. I just really hate drawn out character regression.

I'm still really really enjoying the book. I've listened to 7.5 hours with 17 hours remaining. I'm just excited for things to pop off again.

ALSO - I really like how alloymancy is explained. In a way, it feels kind of video-gamey and I mean that as a compliment. It's just concrete and easy to understand.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Progress report on Mistborn - just wrapped up chapter 14, putting me at about 10/25 hours in. It’s where Kelsier and Vin infiltrate Kredik Shaw.

Question about these Steel Inquisitors - Has no one thought to use alloymancy to pull the spikes from their face? This book is very videogamey and that feels like the video game solution to these seemingly immortal beings. Rip those spikes out of their face and watch their brains spill out or something. I feel like this is an obvious solution.

With regard to the hard rules on the magic - I like that because it turns the story into more of a puzzle. I know what can and can happen because of these rules so nothing is a surprise (in a good way).

At this point - I’m waiting for two alloymancy things to happen: someone using impure metals and someone overloading. Perhaps Vin defeats the Lord Ruler by tricking him into using impure Atium or something. But the only reason I can speculate on this is because the world operates based on well defined rules.

Basically - I really love this book.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It was part of kelsier's infodump in chapter 8 - stuff that's inside the body isn't viable, so you can't do that thing from X-men and rip the metals out of someone's stomach to tear them apart. Even being partly inside (like the big eye spikes) makes it nonviable.

DOH! I already completely forgot about that! But see, this is what I'm talking about - there are rules that answer these questions. I much prefer magic systems with hard rules since it reduces the chance of the story being "Oh yeah and a wizard comes in and does random magic to save the day!"

I enjoyed the infiltration of Kredik Shaw because it brought the tension back that has been missing for the last 10 or so chapters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

Well of Ascension is gonna blow your mind!

I look forward to it. I'm getting through about 2-3 hours a day of this book. So I suspect I'll be done by the end of next week. This book is a blast. I have zero clue about anything that will happen in this book or later ones (other than the deaths of Kelsier and the Lord Ruler). I'm steering clear of anything regarding this book (thank gently caress I can post my thoughts/questions in this thread).

I really really like the strict rules of the system since it turns the book almost into a puzzle to be solved.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

What do you think of the parties?

The balls? Only had the ball at House Venture so far. Don't trust that House Venture heir who was reading the book. I have the feeling Vin is going to let her guard down around him and gently caress things up and it's going to make my eyes roll out of my head. I hope this doesn't happen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So far, the book hasn't done it, but I just get so nervous when I see potential pitfalls.

Like, I hope there's not a character regression period for Vin. I'm sure there will be betrayals and there is a zero percent chance Reen doesn't appear in her life again (and probably betray her again), but I just don't want her to be like "Oh yup. I'm better alone. I can't trust anyone anymore. I was stupid to trust people." or poo poo like that. It's just the boring kind of drama because you' know it's only temporary and they'll get past it and it feels like padding.

I hope the book guy, heir to House Venture, doesn't turn into the stupid trope of "Oh he befriended you and you gave him your secrets now he betrayed you, proving that noblemen suck." Because that would diminish Vin's character, I feel.

I hope Sanderson is a better writer than that, the book as been fun as gently caress so far. If those things happened, it wouldn't completely ruin the book for me, but it would dampen my enthusiasm for it.

Also - Camon's death ruled.

Also also - one of my favorite things are the flashback interludes of the Lord Ruler pre-ascension.

Also also also - "The Sliver of Infinity" is a rad loving title.

Also also also also - Another theory of mine is that he didn't destroy the Deepness. He either absorbed it (Diablo 2 style) or enslaved it in the Pits of Hassynth and is milking it for Atium like they milk slugs for Slurm in Futurama. Maybe a mixture of both. I get real Diablo 2 vibes from everything regarding the Lord Ruler.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 4, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So someone just tell me. Elend Venture - is he cool or does he suck?

Because on one hand, death to all noblemen. But on the other hand it would be nice to have a nobleman who actually was cool. At the part where there were more balls, winter is ending, and Kelsier is about to leave to see the army. (I'm ready for the action to pick up again.)

I just at this point am so distracted by Elend Venture, nothing about him in particular, but his character role in whether he's a potential love interest or he's a betrayer and we're going to have to go through that drama. It's distracting because the story is just in this waiting dread period of "is Vin gonna make a series of bad choices and get hosed over by Elend?"

So is he cool or does he suck? That's all I want to know. That way I can just enjoy the story more.

They already had a meetcute! I hope he doesn't suck.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

Read and find out :sun:

I hope I find out definitively sooner rather than later. I really dislike the whole will they/won’t they kinda stuff.

I’m just past half way through. I’m addicted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

I couldn’t shake the feeling that Elend was a wish fulfillment character for book reading nerds like myself

I kind of got that as well, which is why I initially assumed that despite everything he was cool and good.

I feel like Kelsier is trying to set himself up as a savior/martyr figure.

He’s making a whole lotta noise and really trying to expand his reputation. While everyone around him assumes it is just because of his ego and how much he loves attention, I feel like he is going in to this intending to die but setting himself up so that the rebellion will see him as a martyr and only become more passionate with his death.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is there any way you can listen faster? I’m TVIVing this and it’s so much fun.

Lol. I’m glad my constant posting hasn’t been annoying. I’ve just been listening to a few hours a day while doing deliveries. On chapter 21 right now. Hope to finish part three today.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

While I am loving this book, I do have a single criticism. The pacing is kind of funky? I just mean that there seems to be a whole lot more talking than there is action. I feel like there will be an action sequence and then the equivalent of 100 pages of characters just standing around and talking with each other. It makes me itch for more action.

Not to say it is bad. It just makes it feel like the book is 10% action and 90% people standing around and talking.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

This is a fair criticism of Sanderson's works. He's known for the "Sanderson Avalanche", where the last part of his book devolves into super frenzied action. It's pretty cool, but you pay for that with non-ideal pacing earlier in the books. He's gotten better about that in his latest works.

Yeah, I’m excited to see how this all plays out. There have just definitely been moments where I feel like I’m tapping my foot waiting for something to happen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Is Wheel of Time any good? I feel like every teenager who is in the fantasy novels will at one point come to a cross roads. Down one path is the Wheel of Time. Down the other path, a path covered in spikes and filled with libertarians, is the Sword of Truth. I made the wrong choice when I was a teenager. I read The Sword of Truth, at least the original 11 books of it - hating the series by the end but having to see the conclusion. But I would often hear the books mentioned in the same breath (mainly accusing Goodkind of ripping off WoT when writing SoT).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Uh oh. Everyone is in Clubs’ shop cracking jokes. poo poo is about to get bad I feel.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

God Yiden is a dumbass.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

A lot of weird cringey gender stuff that is very offputting today

Sounds like Sword of Truth really did rip it off. :laffo:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

WoT is still great, but you will have to remember that 11/14ths of it was written by a white guy in the 90's who is not very subtle about his bdsm fetish and has weird ideas about gender dynamics. So there are a few bits you just have to roll your eyes at and skim over.

Holy poo poo. WoT really is the same book as SoT. The protag of Sword of Truth is a Just Man who is always right, he is the Ayn Randian ubermensch and he keeps a bunch of BDSM ladies at his disposal that can torture people with wands.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT lovely BOOKS.

I have finished Part 3 of Mistborn

I'm just going to put this all in spoiler tags because that way it's just one big block of black instead of an annoying CIA document.

Well Part 3 certainly ended with more of a whisper than a bang. I feel like this has to be the calm before the storm.

There's 8 hours left in the audiobook. That means I'm already almost 17 hours in. Despite being 2/3 of the way through this book, I feel like I could count the number of "major events" on one hand. Treslings farm, Camon's scamming, Kelsier attacking House Venture, Camon's crew getting wiped out, the infiltration of Kredik Shaw, and... that's about it.

There are certainly things happening in the background, but it's mostly spoken about. Not really shown to much detail. I do find it hilarious when a roadblock comes up and one character is like "Oh well this is a problem with the plan" and another character immediately offers a solution and things just keep moving.

I believe I'm right before the point where Kelsier is going to die. Dunno how/why that will happen, I hope it's cool and not stupid. From that point, I assume all the crew members are going to be like "welp" and go their separate ways, which will lead Vin to having no one. From there she'll go find Elend and they'll unite to overthrow everything. With only 1/3 of the book remaining, I could totally understand how a Sanderlanche is going to happen in that time.

Yiden is dead and boy was he a dumbass. I started to wonder if he would betray them or something. Turns out he just sucks and got everyone murdered. Not mourning his death at all. gently caress him.

I'm still very curious about Lord Reneaux and what his magical existence secret is. They mentioned something about bones at one point. Marsh seems cool and I hope he reappears in a big way.

Overall, boy did a whole lot not happen in Part 3.

Maybe it is just because I'm listening to an audiobook, but the writing in this is so breezy and easy that it feels like both a video game and a TV show all in one (just in the way that the writing for games and TV shows is often brisker/breezier than novels). Even with like Seyzin's storing abilities/attributes in metal. It's the most video game-rear end poo poo ever and I love it. I feel like it would be super easy to make a tabletop RPG set in this universe. There has to be one, right? If not - missed opportunity.

I feel like I'm at the point in the story where something needs to happen (which, I guess since I'm on chapter 26, that means Kelsier's death) to spark the next stages of the story. Because right now it's just like "Okay... and now what?"

Things I still want from this novel/series:
- To learn the secrets of/how to kill Steel Inquisitors
- To see the Pits of Hathsyn
- Reen to reappear/try to screw over Vin and Vin to dunk on him
- Something to happen with a Mist Wraith. They've been kind of... nothing? so far.
- Someone to push too hard with a metal in a way that fucks them up.
- Someone to use an impure metal and have things go fucky.
- I'd be curious to learn more about Vin's mother and why she went crazy, but I'm not sure if that's important or will get touched on again

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Mordiceius, you will soon learn what a Sanderson Avalanche is. Enjoy the ride.

Without comment on the accuracy of your predictions, I will say that you are a very astute listener/reader and have caught themes and ideas that I certainly missed on my first read. Please keep it up and get to the Stormlight Archive. You would be a great addition to the thread.

Thanks. I look forward to exploring the entire Sanderson collection.

Oh and unless I've missed something, they still haven't gone into detail on the two greater metals yet.

Listening to the audio book while doing deliveries has been just incredible. It makes the day fly by and I'm driving so I can easily focus on an audiobook with minimal distraction. Makes it feel like I'm barely working at all.

I'm also excited to finally see the Lord Ruler in the flesh. I like that we haven't even had a glimpse of him so far because it's been building that anticipation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oh gently caress. Marsh is going to betray Kelsier isn’t he? Or marsh is already dead and this is a trap

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Was not expecting to get an Elond POV chapter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think I know one of the twists. The Lord Ruler is Rashik, isn’t he? I don’t know what bearing this has on the story but this is my current guess.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

You are a very astute reader and I love reading your reactions.

I appreciate it. I attribute it more to Sanderson’s writing not being tricky for the sake of being tricky. People don’t just immediately change personalities. So when you have a journal where two characters are featured - one humble, one who believes in superiority/domination/extermination, there are only so many conclusion to draw.

People act how you could reasonably expect them to. Maybe it makes it easier to “solve” the story, maybe not. I really like his writing though because it doesn’t feel like he’s ever trying to intentionally deceive the reader.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

There are layers upon layers of hidden/secret stuff. There are some parts of books 1-3 that didn't fully make sense until mistborn: secret history (Mordiceius, if you're in book 1 now then I think secret history is like... Book 6 or 7, because it also contains spoilers for era 2 of mistborn.)

Yeah. That totally makes sense. I just meant that with regard to the main plot for this book, it doesn't feel like he's being intentionally deceptive toward the reader. Compare to something like a Dan Brown book where the books often intentionally deceive you. With Sanderson, I feel like is giving you all the pieces, and whether you can fit those pieces together before the story does, then good on you.

I feel like it's a much more satisfying reading experience.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

quote:

The original trilogy was the first in what Sanderson used to call a "trilogy of trilogies." The original second trilogy was to be set in an urban setting, featuring modern technology, and the third trilogy was to be a science fiction series, set in the far future.[2] However, this structure changed with the release of The Alloy of Law, which began a new series set between the original trilogy and the planned second trilogy. After some confusion, Sanderson decided to refer to the overall series in terms of four eras, with Era 1 being the original trilogy, Era 2 being the four books starting with The Alloy of Law, and Eras 3 and 4 being the other originally planned trilogies.[48] Era 2 consists of The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, The Bands of Mourning, and a forthcoming book.[49] Sanderson announced in July 2020 that he will begin writing this fourth book of Era 2, Mistborn: The Lost Metal, in January 2021.[50]

There is no scheduled release date for the contemporary trilogy or the science fiction trilogy.[2]

I just wanted to say that Sanderson is a madman.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mistborn question - I’m at what seems like the final ball at House Venture. How close am I to the avalanche? Exactly 5 hours 30 min left in the audio book. Plan on getting through most of it tomorrow (I’ll probably end up binging it all).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well that's good to know. I guess I'm heading hard into it immediately tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I only allow myself to listen while driving to keep it sacred and force me not to binge, so I've been excited for it all weekend.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This book just made me a shout out OH gently caress and I’m still at the ball.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The stuff with Shan was the dopest poo poo and what a loving perfect reveal and amazing way to handle that plot thread.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

The conversation with Elend, or with Kliss?

Everything Kliss revealed.

EDIT: Can you flare Atium and Gold? I don’t think that’s been addressed.

Also just got to the Pits. gently caress yes. Glad to get to see this.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 9, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Okay, finished part 4 and the first chapter of part 5.

I really like how Kelsier's death was handled. I was worried it was going to be incredibly melodramatic but it was brutal, sudden, and efficient. I didn't want him to end up in a situation like Marsh. Gruesome deaths always feel really lovely when they happen to main characters. I'm glad it was quick.

The skaa rising up after Kelsier's death worked really well. I had expected that this is what Kelsier's plan was all along, building himself into a messiah figure. I just didn't have the full picture. But there was a lot of foreshadowing for this when twice the book mentioned the old religion that had to be genocided due to the fact they would fight to the last man.

The reveal of what a Condra is was dope af and ties in me wanting mistwraiths to have more of a role. They were all along and I just never knew! Really really like that reveal.

The first chapter of part 5 feels like the point in a heist film where we're shown the mastermind's plan. Very cool. Very emotional. Definitely got some a "gently caress yeah!" from me.

I've realized something about these books (and why I feel they work particularly well as audiobooks) - Maybe it's just because I'm coming off trying to listen to the audiobook of Perdido Street Station, but Sanderson's writing reminds me more of TV/film screenwriting. There's a very cinematic quality to the way he writes. He gives you enough detail picture a scene but doesn't get overly descriptive in a way that makes you feel like you're spending multiple pages learning about a vine growing up a wall. Combine this with listening to an audiobook, and it just makes the entire novel feel incredibly cinematic.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sanderson is 100000% a writer who plots out mechanics like he's designing a video game and a Mistborn game that plays like Spiderman (or Crackdown :v:) would either be a massive trainwreck or an amazing game.

Or Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell as a stealth/horror game.

I imagine a Mistborn game basically being a better Dishonored.

I have two chapters (and the epilogue) left for me to finish tomorrow. I have no idea how all of this resolves in 80 minutes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m at the point in the story where the music swells and the lyrics kick in.

Edit: I’m still waiting for this earring to be important.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 10, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Haha. That's kind of what I suspect. Maybe not this book, but I feel like it'll be important eventually! (Plus, Vin's mom going crazy definitely needs an explanation. I'm sure this will all be important in a later book as I only have 45 minutes left in this one.)

I think that listening to an audiobook definitely helps me pick up on details more since if I was reading this book myself, I'd probably be done in like 10 hours and the audiobook is 25. It gives me time to really ingest and think about every word. It allows me to more easily pick up on things that are often quickly mentioned once and then not mentioned again for chapters. I feel like Sanderson almost built this book like a puzzlebox (I'm assuming his other works are somewhat similar) in that he gives you most of the pieces, but just not the information on how they fit together. Throughout this entire book, I've never felt like I've been duped or lied to. Have there been deceptions and red herrings? Sure, absolutely. But it has never been a situation where "oh this character swoops in with an unknown power/item that has never been mentioned to completely turn the situation around/save the day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It is done. What you have all been waiting for - I have finished Mistborn: The Final Empire. What a complete loving delight that was.

Earlier, I had mentioned the things I wanted to see in the novel:

1- To learn the secrets of/how to kill Steel Inquisitors
2- To see the Pits of Hathsyn
3- Reen to reappear/try to screw over Vin and Vin to dunk on him
4- Something to happen with a Mist Wraith. They've been kind of... nothing? so far.
5- Someone to push too hard with a metal in a way that fucks them up.
6- Someone to use an impure metal and have things go fucky.
7- I'd be curious to learn more about Vin's mother and why she went crazy, but I'm not sure if that's important or will get touched on again

We got #1 at the end. I was satisfied with how #2 was handled as it didn't need to be prolonged sequence there. Just a taste. #3 was even more satisfying. I like that ending for Reen. We got #4 with the Condra. #5, #6, #7 are all ones that were not in this novel but they feel too important to not show up in later novels.

The ending definitely feels like it is setting up The Deepness to return in books 2 & 3. I assume that, from the titles of the next couple novels, Vin will become the Hero of Ages and vanquish the Deepness in book 3.

I really liked the parallel narratives in this novel. I feel like it made things super unique. In a way, it made Rashik feel almost otherworldly because he was the villain of someone else's story.

The Marsh reveal was so loving good. I really liked Marsh and was bummed out by his "death."

Seyzid saving Vin from the prison was great. When she got her metals back and leapt into the fight with the guards to saved Elond, it felt like the moment in a videogame or anime where the lyrics kick in. It was a very good moment.

I've mentioned before that maybe it is just because I listened to the audiobook, but this novel felt incredibly cinematic. There's an... efficiency with the way Sanderson writes. It almost feels detail-lite compared to novels I'm used to (and I mean, to be fair, I haven't read many novels in the past decade). What I mean by "detail-lite" is that I never felt bogged down by scene descriptions. He would give you enough to picture the scene and then it was more about the action. And when I say "the action" in this context, I also mean the dialog.

One of my favorite books is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. It's a beautiful book with an awesome mystery. But that book also spends at least 50% of the time talking about details. I remember there's like a ten page section in the paperback where he just describes a stained glass window. That's cool and all, but maybe just due to my ADHD, I don't often have the patience for that. I think it is why Perdido Street Station felt so impenetrable to leap into after a long break from books. I work in film and went to undergrad and grad school for it, and Sanderson's writing often makes me think of the pace and flow of screenwriting. Again, maybe it was just due to the audiobook nature of things, but the experience of going through this book felt more like a good TV series than a novel.

Hopes/Expectations/Predictions for the rest of the trilogy.
Like mentioned above, I want to learn more of Vin's mother/the earring. I also want to see someone burn impure metals as well as someone flare too hard with a metal.

In one of my first posts, I mentioned how I got some Diablo 2 vibes from the Lord Ruler. That definitely was enhanced by his final words. My assumption as this point is that The Deepness is still out there either placated or imprisoned somehow.

I assume Atium has something to do with this, as the Lord Ruler's treasury was empty. The book mentioned that the Lord Ruler kept 90% of the Atium. Was this used to empower the seal on The Deepness? Or perhaps The Deepness is sentient and would remain passive so long as it received Atium.

I can only assume that the mists are directly tied to The Deepness. I question if Alloymancy is as well. But I know the later series also has alloymancy, so I question that connection. If book 3 ends with the destruction of The Deepness, then what would that mean for Alloymancy? But again, this is all based off my assumptions of how the series will go.

Also - my fantasy casting (Younger versions of some these actors, obviously):

Kelsier - Kenneth Branagh
Dockson - Stanley Tucci
Breeze - Alfred Molina
Ham - Dave Bautista
Seyzid - Ken Watanabe