Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So in the past month I've gone through the entire Mistborn series and just finished Alloy of Law today. I really enjoyed the series. Does anyone know what his publication plan is right now? In the foreword to Alloy of Law, he mentioned that he envisioned a present and future set trilogy in the same universe and that the Alloy of Law series is a side bar to this plan, but it seems like he's setting up for a trilogy here first. Is he still planning on 8 more books? Also, is this his main focus right now or is he working on Stormlight Archives now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

BranSan is very open about his writing process. his website has a counter on the top-right that tells you his current progress. And yes, SA is supposed to be 10 books long, and there are meant to be a trilogy of trilogy set in the Mistborn universe (not including Alloy of Law, which is a separate thing from the main story and will possibly also be a trilogy)

Oh that's really neat. Digging around online on wikis I see that all his works share the same collective universe? Cool. Guess it's worth it to work my way through his older stuff.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I just finished Elantris. I found it fine but dull. It had it's moments but for the most part I just plodded along. Certainly I can cut him some slack because it's his first published novel. I'm also not sure if it suffered because I listened to the audiobook and it had a lot of made up words and names, as well as being my first audiobook experience (I mainly listen to podcasts). I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy and the steampunk spinoff though. So where do I go from here? Jump into Stomrlight Archive? I kind of want to "save it" so maybe something else first?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp I just devoured The Way of Kings. Last time I was in this thread, I complained about how dull and plodding Elantris was. I've since gone through Warbreaker, Emperor's Soul and The Way of Kings. I enjoyed Warbreaker and was glad I read it, since I only did so originally out of a Cosmere completionist streak and an alleged Stormlight 2 tie in. It was a shame that the book ended just as things were getting good and Vivenna finally stopped being a lousy character. I don't have many more hot-takes since it's been a while. I loved Emperor's Soul, though maybe the frequent posts about how amazing it is gave me unreasonable expectations but it was really good and am looking forward to a sequel. Not sure what its link to Elantris was beyond being in the same world? I think I recognized some races and I guess the magic systems are kinda an extension? Maybe I'll go root around a wiki but I'm gonna wait til I finish Stormlight 2 to avoid major Cosmere spoilers.

I really enjoyed Stormlight 1. I think I saw someone post in the Dresden thread and warned about it starting off really bad and slow but gets really good after. Good thing my expectations were dampened because that Szeth assassination was kinda dull. Its a good thing the ending fights were much better. In the first part of the book, I really didn't enjoy how Sanderson kept bouncing POVs because all I wanted was to forward Kaladin's story and boy did I not care about Shellan at all. Its a good thing that I got some payoff and some lore dump at the end but I was real glad when she got bedridden in the hospital and we didn't go back to her until the end. I often would keep reading until a Kaladin bit would end. Dalinar storyline started slowly and I was worried but thankfully it got good fairly quickly and ended great. I get the converging storyline thing and don't usually mind it as much, but I just wanted more Kaladin story.

I also enjoyed all the world building but kept waiting for the power ups to our main characters to happen. I got a good payoff at the end but man I hope that in Book 2, we get treated to a training montage and then Kaladin wrecking poo poo with his powers. I didn't expect the twists in the Part 5 Epilogue. They were some good hooks and can't wait to get started on Book 2. I'm looking forward to some info being shed on Hoid and the Parshendi Shardbearer guy.

After I finish Book 2, where do I go from here? I've read all 4 Mistborn books already and enjoyed them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp. Had free time so I finished Stormlight 2 less than a week after the first one. Had the same problem as in the first book in that I just wanted Kaladin all the time, but at least Shallan got better after she stopped blushing and doing dumb naive things every other paragraph. I was just about to give up on my promised Warbreaker tie-in as well, but I'm glad it paid off. How exactly are you supposed to piece together the whole Cosmere interconnection between Mistborn, Stormlight and Warbreaker anyway? Except for the explicit link between Stormlight 2 and Warbreaker, I would never have guessed they're all in different planes of the same universe or whatever. Cosmere was namedropped once in Stormlight 1 and that's it. Is this something that has been pieced together from Sanderson's public commentary? I guess I can figure it out myself since I can now dive into wikis while fearing minimal spoilers. Now all I have to read are short stories. :(

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

If you're looking for it, some things are obvious (like Hoid and the guys in one of TWOK's interludes). A lot of the rest is interview-fuelled.

drat I completely missed the Hoid connections. I was trying too hard to see how he fit in the Stormlight mythology. Which dudes in the TWOK interludes are you referring to?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

There's a lake with magic fish, and some out of place guys who are trying to find someone else. It's pretty obvious they're looking for Hoid, and that they're not local.

In WoR, there's a set of trophies that look like they're each from a different world as well.

Ah that makes sense. I had that scene pegged as people searching for Szeth. I hope I remember most of these details when I reread the books down the line.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally finished Shadows of Self so I can pop back into this thread and caught up with the CIA documents. I like AoL better, but that might be because it was such a refreshing change of pace from the original Mistborn trilogy. Man there are so many things I haven't caught from the books and would never know where it not for this thread, the wiki and answers from Sanderson at book signings.

Is SoS one of the books with the more overt inter-book/world connections or is it just because I have been on the lookout for them now? Has Sanderson talked about how he's gonna play out his world crossovers? I expect that since his WoR series to be the largest, that's where his Cosmere endgame is gonna play out, but he sure does have a lot of Mistborn books planned.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

:eyepop:

Now I want to see the version where he links all his Cosmere books...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So many months later, I finally finished Stormlight 3. Does anyone have a handy resource that explains all the Cosmere links? I always end up forgetting the other books as I read up on them, but especially I want the Warbreaker links to Stormlight 3 explained.