Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Dude. You guys. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Man, from the moment in the interlude before part 5 when you really get inside Taravagahaffliggnian's head, all the way to the end of the book, it's like Sanderson took a goddamn humor class and passed with a solid C-. I actually smiled once or twice, and didn't get knocked out of the story once.

I still say the book would be notably improved by replacing all of Wit's lovely jokes with Dangerfield, and "Storms!" with "gently caress!" but if he can keep up with how he finished WoR as far as making people seem natural, I'll be very happy.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

That last quote is a pretty massive spoiler. It's the sword from Warbreaker, and for anyone who read it, that's a massive holy gently caress moment. Please spoiler it.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Fair to Midland posted:

No I'm saying he himself has said he doesn't clear that.

e: And I know anyone can call bullshit, which is fair, it's in http://www.theoryland.com/wheel-of-time-interview-search.php somewhere.

e2: Oh poo poo I didn't realize this quote site had more than one page.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/16482835-words-of-radiance

Okay sorry I'm done, tl;dr like his stories hate his dialogue/humor. Honestly can't wait for more short stories cause I think those are his strengths.

Aw, come on! Gaz's line at the end is one of the few genuinely good jokes. I thought it was perfectly understated, the terrible lead-up notwithstanding.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

treeboy posted:

Firstly this quote isn't a joke, it's not meant to be funny in even the least degree, it's holy poo poo because It's a semi-retarded sentient sword who likes to kill bad guys and is a total name drop from another book. (though apparently Nightblood is smarter than we've been lead to believe

Secondly I gotta ask how Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, or Dalinar are any worse than Tyrion, Cersei, Eddard, Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Taran, Elonwy, Ged, or any other fantasy name out there to *such* an extent that it actually damages the story.

And not only that, WB:but it's an insanely powerful sword even compared to shardblades in its own universe, and is now practically bathing in its previously-scarce food. Also it might just be my favorite Sanderson character.

As for the nitpicking, look at every sci-fi/fantasy thread dude. We're all a bunch of nerds trying to pretend we're not that nerd. These arguments are the result of conflicting defense mechanisms. It's static. Getting involved is...

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

2 was the worst by a pretty fair margin imo and Stormlight seems like the work of a 30-year-old that wrote Mistborn at 15.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Except for that part where Vin and emo guy raze the guy's manor. That was p cool.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Kruller posted:

Everything Kaladin did in both Stormlight books leads to where he is now. He earns his power. It just so happens that his power is super anime. Jasnah and Shallan both have some pretty incredible power as well, it's just not quite as flashy.

Oh, I don't know, a lightning bolt turning dudes to crystal is pretty bad-rear end, and if you can think of a way to get more flashy than lightning and crystals, I'd like to hear it.

Those two are going to get up to some seriously cool stuff, and I can't wait.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Democratic Pirate posted:

He also said that we've met a few worldhoppers from Roshar in his other works.

Aw great. Now I have to read EVERY LAST BOOK ALL OVER AGAIN. I mean--

Aww, great! Now I'm gonna read every last book all over again!

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Pwnstar posted:

So here's a theory I have about the Diagram, maybe I'm an idiot though Taravangian asked for the capacity to save mankind. I think that capacity is related to his empathy, rather than his intelligence. Since when he is incredibly clever he basically becomes a sociopath, I don't think the Diagram is a guide to saving the world at all. I think at one point when he is "dumb" he is going to rebel against the grand plan and let someone live who was supposed to die or something (or destroy the diagram?) which will allow for the day to actually be saved, as he was before he never would have been empathic enough to give up that amount of power.

Yeah I like that a lot.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Hasn't Sanderson already said that Adolin will have a book in the second series? I wouldn't say that's proof that he won't be an antagonist, but it's definitely not his style to spend a ton of time in antagonists' heads. I'd really, really love this if it were the case, but if someone's a bad guy or going to turn into a bad guy, it's usually pretty clear, and he writes the characters with a particular voice if they get a PoV. And, unfortunately, has never fleshed them out to near the detail that he has Adolin. Heck, Demandred was his most interesting and sympathetic bad guy ever.

So yeah. I'd love it and think it'd be something Sanderson could easily write, but I don't see it happening.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Khizan posted:

Hrathen is pretty much the only Sanderson character that I actually like. I think he's easily the best written character he's ever done.

I'll agree with the goon hive mind in as far as he's the most character-driven character Sanderson's written. My theory is that he's kind of a self-insert, much like Sazed, who's also relatively driven by his internal world more than the plot.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Wolpertinger posted:

yeah, but having two separate shards balancing each other out seems to always end badly as they tend to fight and squabble and kill each other - I was more thinking which shards you'd combine to make less terrible gods. If you kill them, they splinter into a million little malevolent spirits, if you take their shard by itself you become the next Odium, so, yeah. As far as combinations go, honor and odium would make some sort of strange, malevolent god that has a strict code of behavior but still hates you and wants you dead. Compassion or love or something would maybe create a god of passion or emotion which would probably be less awful. Autonomy and Odium would probably create a god of violent revolution or something, haha. I don't think Harmony could absorb Odium without going crazy since it would be so contradictory without some sort of balancing emotion.

I do really wonder what's going to happen once we start getting the bigger cosmere stuff and all these gods start fighting, it'll be fun.

Compassion and Odium seems like it'd make something like the Inchori from Prince of Nothing.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

lolasaurusrex posted:

Just finished Mistborn. Thought it was pretty good. Characters were pretty 2D (can't help liking Kelsier despite how thin he is) but the magic system is pretty amazing. I've never read a novel that had anything like that (fantasy newbie).

How much has BS came along as an author since Mistborn?

Incredibly far. Noticeably with every book, everything Stormlight and after is ... fantastic.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

LolitaSama posted:

So, this post shows up on the first page of google for me when I was researching if I should continue with the Mistborn trilogy.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...is-coming-from/

This dude really rails against the author here. Was wondering if other goons feel this way and if I should just stick to what I know, star wars novels, instead.

There's a lot of valid points against Sanderson and Mistborn, but this post hits one or two of them, completely accidentally, in the process of constructing a weird straw-man character that's an unintentional author (of the post) stand-in.

If you're giving any credence to this stupid loving post, I don't really know what to tell you other than stop reading reviews, or even better, Reddit, until you can make up your own mind, because you are vulnerable as gently caress to suggestion and reading Reddit will turn you into a lovely person very fast.

That aside, Mistborn is fairly juvenile, although it's deep as hell compared to a lot of books written for the same age range, to the point that I don't think it's silly for adults to enjoy it too, as opposed to David Eddings. And Stormlight, while still a little ... I don't know. Something. ... Is head and shoulders above Mistborn. Mistborn could be enjoyed by a gifted 12-year-old. Stormlight would take a very gifted 13-year-old. Because they're pretty simple, both could make insecure stupid manbabys get mad at being "manipulated" because it's their first experience with being able to track the construction of a story's emotional arc consciously.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

ConfusedUs posted:

Brent Weeks has a really bad habit of trying to make things "badass" or "dark," but can only do so from the perspective of an angry 14-year-old boy.

It sometimes works, mostly when the POV of the scene in question is actually that of an angry teenage boy. Sadly he can't just limit it to that. Everything is written that way, even scenes featuring nothing but adults, even elderly people. They still interact with each other as if they're angry teenage boys.

Man, either you're young enough to idealize being "an adult", or you have a life, friends, and family I'd be insanely envious of if I actually believed people acted any different from 25 to death. Not to get political, but for gently caress's sake, look at our president and ... anyone. Hell, :toxx:, name one single googlable person and I will link some incredibly weird and childish poo poo they've done in the last 10 years or 10 years of their life. Supid poo poo never stops being our most powerful driver.

Lightbringer is really mediocre in the beginning, occasionally very bad and occasionally very good. It gets better as it goes, but you always need to read it with an uncritical eye or you're not gonna have a good time.

Re: another post, I kind of like Kip. As someone with a gigantic, incredibly kind and gentle, brilliant little brother that's diagnosed spectrum, he rings true.

Anyway, I have high hopes that book 5 will be what book 5 in The Dark Tower should have been--a return to form with an extremely stepped-up game that makes everything better in retrospect by building off the really great and needed characterization in the fourth, and the end of the series.

e: gah! I had a point that wasn't quite a derail. If you like or got through Sanderson's early stuff, there's a very good chance you'll like or get through Lightbringer.

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 15, 2017

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Phummus posted:

Wayne Gretzky
Father Nelson Baker

Source: wikipedia, and only wikipedia

Gretzky: Throws fits about randoms not respecting his very important sports prowess and is a staunch conservative.
Baker: He was a priest, and was into miracles. Come on. That is some baby-rear end playing make-believe poo poo.

For Gretzky, the closest I could come by skimming wikipedia is 11 years ago, but come on, he didn't suddenly grow up and become more mature than LITERALLY EVERY PERSON ON EARTH betweek 11 and 10 years ago.

Point is, we're all dumb babies, myself included for making a toxx post to bolster a stupid case about a dumb argument on the internet--also most things I've ever done. And to address the other post, the angry teenager thing is you projecting.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Tunicate posted:

Fred McFeely Rogers

fuuuuuuuuck.

Will report back in 24h but I do not have a good feeling about this.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Journey before destination. :colbert:

Eh, gently caress that. Whenís the last time Sanderson tipped his hand?

Yeah, heís thinking of this as his magnum opus, it seems, and thatís led lots of more-talented people to failureóbut Iím going with the 1.000 batting average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Barreft posted:

Dalinar is aggressively boring to me. I loved the first book in the series, second was good, but this one is really giving me a hard time. I'm 15% in and not feeling any stakes, should I? Maybe I'm just missing details but gently caress me is Dalinar boring to read.

I've been reading Edgedancer and like it more. Dalinar is like a PG version Ned Stark that doesn't die before you get sick of his loving honor and whatever.

hahaha ... I know it's far, but stick with it until "I Am an Animal".