Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a Robert Jordan or Wheel of Time thread somewhere? I went back a few pages in the forum and couldn't find anything...

Or should I just ask if the books get any less word vomit as the series goes on? I'm going to guess no. Currently listening to the series on audiobook (just started book 5) during my work commute, and I'm enjoying it, but goddrat are there tons of chapters that just bore me to tears. The complete Aiel history in Shadow Rising and all the Rhuidean stuff just killed me, especially when some chapters introduce 400 extra characters that all sound the same.

Perrin's chapters are easily the best so far.

Totally enjoying the overall story, but man there's some parts that are just a slog to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's actually the general feeling I've gotten from talking to a couple friends about the series. Blah middle, but the last books get really really good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

To be fair, WoT is the first audiobook I've ever listened to. Between life/wife/kids, I don't get much time to actually read during the day, but I do have a 40-50 minute commute to and from work every day, so audiobooks make sense. I've been reading the Dark Tower series while I brush my teeth and before bed, and listening to WoT in the car.

I'm actually enjoying the audiobook format, but the lady who does the Aes Sedai stuff is a bit bland. At least the dude tries to mix up the voices. The voice for Loial is pretty funny. I think the most annoying part is I have no idea how all the character names and places are spelled.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Khizan posted:

Once Perrin meets Faile all of his sections become absolutely loving insufferable.

A lot of it is bad, especially their interactions, but Perrin commanding the armies of the Two Rivers vs the Trollocs is pretty decent.

BananaNutkins posted:

I have to stop being an alone wolf hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooowl

This is one thing that I'm not enjoying. He has these cool-rear end wolf powers, but is actively refusing to use them now. Lame. Bring back Elyas at least so he can give me some rad wolf action.

BananaNutkins posted:

EYE of the World is the best book, but also the one that is an inferior clone of Fellowship of the Ring. The boys leaving Two Rivers mirrors the journey out of hobbiton almost perfectly. But female Gandalf.

Yeah, Eye was really good. I love the traveling and exploring a world I know nothing about stuff. The Hunt was great because of the same reasons as well, especially when they go into that portal stone world with the Grolms or whatever they are. That was super interesting.

When they're sitting in one place for 700 pages at a time generally doing nothing is what is killing me. I just listened to Chapter 7 of Fires on the way to work. It was 25 minutes of Egwene rambling on about literally nothing at all other than reflecting on how her relationship with Rand has changed. Boring, and nothing new that wasn't said multiple times already throughout the past couple books. That could have been summarized in like 2 pages. Give me more melting Darkhounds with Balefire!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 13, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

26 chapters into Fires of Heaven.

Holy gently caress this is boring as hell, ughhhhhh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Really? I liked that book.

You get a big confrontation with the Shaido later on, and the next "action scene" starts in about 5 chapters.

I assumed they’d catch up with the Shaido sooner or later. I guess the trolloc attack while there in the pass was cool but it lasted like 43 seconds.

I think I’m more annoyed that they just spend a stupid amount of time on the Aes Sedai stuff, which takes forever to go anywhere.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

You get a big confrontation with the Shaido later on, and the next "action scene" starts in about 5 chapters.

Ha, it appears I spoke too soon. Just got a couple good chapters finally! And Rand finally got to get it on with Aviendha!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

That happens first in Winter's Heart, doesn't it? I thought that one was pretty good in parts. I liked all the build up to the black tower and arming everyone with crossbows on the battlefield.

She took her portal to some mystery winter Seanchan land and they boned after he saved her life. All because she's dumb and ran away after he saw her naked.

Must have not gotten to whatever that black tower thing is yet... Them and the Aiel were about to head to Cairhein to stop the Shaido from attacking the city.

On a side note, it's annoying that I have to keep googling how to spell everything because I'm listening to the audiobook. I didn't even know how to start spelling what the dream world was called. Telirunriod. Tel'aran'rhiod. Close enough.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boo wish I hadn’t read that. Oh well.

Almost done with Fires of Heaven. The Cairehen stuff was cool. The Aes Sedai stuff is still boring as all hell but I suppose got a smidge better when Nynaeve/Elayne meet back up with Suane.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Fires of Heaven. Last half of the book was actually really good. Hard to believe that the incredibly boring-as-hell first half was part of the same book. Just started Lord of Chaos, and the stuff about the "Great"/Dark Lord in the prologue is pretty cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I like that I'm finally getting some behind the scenes stuff from the forsaken. Seeing their point of view and their plots is pretty rad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you're doing audiobooks the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie has a fantastic narrator. Start with The Blade Itself.

Yes, this trilogy loving owns. The 3 books after are good too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First half of book 5 was boring as hell, but the second half pretty much owned.

Book 7 is..... ok, halfway through.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Spoilers for the 4 books I guess:

1) I started with Sanderson, and knowing Sanderson finished the series (and also always just hearing how good it is) I was really let down with the magic. It's not very well explained. A mile wide and a foot deep. Again, coming from a Sanderson book I was expecting it to be much more concrete.

2) I really don't like any of the characters. Nynaeve is a stubborn jerk, Perrin doesn't want to be able to talk to wolves, Matt doesn't want to be a lucky son of a bitch, and Rand doesn't want to kill all his friends. I get Rand and Matt's perspectives but the other two I don't. Egwene isn't bad and I really liked Loial. I don't much care for Elayne or Min though, they both met Rand like once and can't stop thinking about banging him. Or now in book 5, Aviendha is like "I hate you I hate you I hate you.. Oh I just woke up with hypothermia after teleporting to the arctic waste and falling into a river. Let's bang". And every male being like, "Ugh women are so confusing" and every female being like, "Ugh men are as dumb as oxen" is really not interesting.

3) I find the Aiel wholly uninteresting, and The Faith Militant is a tired trope by now. Maybe it was more interesting back when this was written, but... And also gently caress that one Whitecloak who is so insistent Perrin is a Darkfriend but then he himself doesn't do anything about the Trollocs in Emon's Field.

4) Every single encounter with the Forsaken was very unrewarding. Rand just effortlessly kills 4 of them in the first 4 books, culminating with Asmodean just running away while Rand chases him down. Every other character makes them out to be these big terrifying badasses and he just squashes them like bugs. Also Moghedien showing up in whatever town Nynaeve was in at the end of #4 and it's like, oh hey by the way mind control powers that make it so you can't lie or really remember any of this is a thing.

So ultimately it just boils down to I went in expecting something very similar to Sanderson and instead I just got a really slow series full of miserable characters in a world that happens to have magic.

I do really like the general notion of wheel of time and the cyclical nature of everything, I like all the ouroboros imagery, but I everything I do really like just isn't fleshed out. So really it's just lowering my expectations of how anything works and instead just trying to focus on Rand turning into a badass.

Also I think it was because I read 4 books straight expecting to learn more about the magic and it just doesn't happen. So now I'm probably just going to rotate 1 WoT book then something else.

I do actually really like Siuan's arc and look forward to how it works out.

:lol:

This post is like super spot on. I'm currently halfway through Lord of Chaos (I won't spoil anything) and although I pretty much agree with everything you posted, I think the overall story is pretty rad.

All the women are written pretty awfully, although I am interested in Siuan's arc. I think Elayne is becoming more interesting, and I like how we're finally starting to see some behind the scenes stuff with the Forsaken and the Dark Lord. I get all giddy when I finally get to a 3-paragraph section on Padan Fain every other book.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lord of Chaos: Egwene being raised as Amyrlin came out of loving nowhere and still has me wondering what the gently caress a couple chapters later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Lord of Chaos. Those last 5ish chapters were great :hellyeah:

And it's about goddamn time that Perrin started using his wolf powers again. Goddamn that took way too long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

rule 1 of reading any novel is Always Skip The Prologue, the Way of Kings just has like three prologues

A Crown of Swords has 2 hours worth of Prologues in the audiobook. Gross.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is that Elayne? Cause.... drat.

Seeing the cover art pop up on the Apple Books when I get to a new WOT book always gets a nice laugh. Like this one... what the hell?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh I assumed it was an angreal she made, or the bracelet for Moghedien.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You're confusing her with Siuan. It's definitely Moiraine due to the visual clues and also considering the biggest moment of FoH: when Rand is getting dunked on by a ragingly jealous Lanfear and can't bring himself to hurt her to defend himself, so Moiraine suicide tackles her into the doorway Ter`angreal and is gone until Sanderson takes the series over.

Noooooo, wish I hadn't read the last part of that spoiler. Although it was fairly obvious that she'd be back eventually.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I thought I saw a post recently where someone finished WoT #6 and said the last 5 chapters were great.

I just finished the book and that was a pretty badass last chapter with the expanding ring of body bursting :black101:

Did not like the epilogue though 🙄 Moghedian gets rescued easily from her adam for no apparent reason other than Jordan needs an additional bad guy I guess . Like this poo poo is what makes me not like this series.

I think starting with Sanderson as my gateway to reading has just ruined every other author for me.

55 chapters, 700 pages and... A 2 paragraph plot synopsis on Wikipedia :v: Cool things happened in this book but also nothing happens in this book.

Yeah that was me. Last few chapters were great, and yeah I thought your spoilered part was kind of dumb as gently caress too.

I'm 12 chapters into book 7 currently, and hoooooooolllllllllllyyyyyyyy poo poo the Aes Sedai chapters are AWFUL so far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

22 chapters into Crown of Swords. This book is absolutely awful so far.

I can’t even think of the last time a trolloc was even mentioned. Fires of Heaven, maybe?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Crown of Swords. That book is one colossal turd. The only redeeming factors are Tylin constantly trying to bang Mat and the introduction of the gholams.

The last handful of books have followed the formula of:
- people talking
- Nynaeve being an awful character
- introduce 200 more characters that I can’t keep the names straight
- more people talking
- Nynaeve being an awful character
- Rand travels to $random_city and “conquers” it while killing a wet fart of a foresaken in the process.

In Lord of Chaos, substitute “rad as gently caress last 5 chapters” for my last bullet point.

I’m determined to slog through these next few books before the Sanderson ones but goddamn, the signal-to-noise ratio is really bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ever since book 3 or so I’ve been listening to the audiobooks during my 45-minute work commute. The dude is good and his voice for Loiel is hilarious, but the lady just about puts me to sleep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First 10 chapters of Path of Daggers are absolute garbage so far, other than the 5 minutes they spent on the Seanchan. They rule so much and I hope they're a big part of the story going forward.

e: TV series of this would rule. They'd absolutely have to cut the fat and not leave 14 episodes of skirt-smoothing or braid-pulling in.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You mentioned Eye of the World so I clicked your spoiler. gently caress!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

:(

How far in are you right now? Getting through The Path of Daggers?

It's not a big deal really, he's a super minor character as far as I can tell.

I think I'm on chapter 13 in Path. It's really bad so far. Looking forward to these finally picking up in a book or two.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:stonklol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kindle e-books of Stormlight Archives are on sale for $3 each:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12170704-brandon-sanderson-the-stormlight-archive-kindle-ebooks-3-each

If I enjoy WOT, but am currently actively hating reading the books in the middle, would I also enjoy these? I've never read Sanderson.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Book 1: 1009 pages. Holy moly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yup, I just bought all 3. When I get through WOT in 2 years, I'll start on them :v:

2/3 through book 8 and it's complete garbage. Although, there was just a Seanchan battle, so at least something happened.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Mashadar got him.

Even though I'm on the next book, I still had to look this up on the WoT fandom page wiki thingy, and I think I saw a spoiler about Shadar Logoth. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

hot date tonight! posted:

I just made it through book 5 of WoT, the one where Nynaeve and Elayne join the circus. These books really didn't need this many words.

:lol: That was only 3 books ago for me, but I totally forgot about that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

enigma105 posted:

The Wheel of Time has 2782 named characters, 147 have a PoV.

:eyepop:

And a bunch of them have aliases they go by, which is something that confuses me all the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finished WOT book 8 today. Like 7, it was garbage. With the exception of the Seanchan and the 3 pages of Rand being attacked by the Asha’man.

*fart*

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The last book isn’t good?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm like 1/3 through Winter's Heart. It's bad. I can't even having to imagine reading this while it was still being written. How infuriating was it when you'd wait a year (or whatever), and you get poo poo book after poo poo book like 4 times in a row?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel Winter's Heart is giving me false hope. Around the midpoint of the book, there's more and more words about the Seanchan and the gholam, and is giving me excitement for something actually possibly happening soon!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also from a practical standpoint, not including sexual content gives you a wider audience. My 12 year old is reading Sanderson's YA stuff and loving it, but I'm waiting a little bit to give him Mistborn because of the whole thing where nobles rape and then kill their skaa workers to prevent half blood misting babies.

Yeah, this is exactly why I'm trying to get my 13 and 11-year olds to read WoT. They like reading fantasy stuff.

My 13yo finished the Prologue to WoT book 1 and was like "uhhh I have no idea what I just read" lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chapter 35 of Winter’s Heart and I’m so loving excited stuff is actually happening before the last chapter :wow:

e: :lol: I didn’t realize that 35 is the last chapter.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 18, 2019