Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This book has given me two sleepless nights but drat if they weren't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Superstring posted:

Just finished reading this the other day. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but it wasn't until I finished it that I realized that it was pretty loving awesome. The wait for the next part's going to be horrible.

On the Voidbringers:On the surface there's no reason to doubt Jasnah's conclusions right now. But I'm skeptical if only for the fact that I know Brandon has to have a lot more curveballs up his sleeve. For the secret of the Voidbringers to be revealed so early, it can't stick. I also have no doubt that they're not as evil as they seem. Dalinar and Kaladin repeatedly mention how they respect the Parshendi.

More or less my thoughts exactly. It wouldn't be Sanderson if there wasn't more to an early plot point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kreeblah posted:

Uh, bad news, guys. It looks like the Sanderson writing machine is going to be slowing down for the foreseeable future. :(

At least I can expect him to get something out eventually, he's not GRRM after all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than ten books in the end. Ideas are cut or rewritten, etc. There's still the subplots to consider, especially since it's epic fantasy. There's four principle characters so far and a lot of questions, but there's a lot of other things that can happen that can take a lot of page space.

Dalinar promised to get shardplate for his younger son, so that's still up in the air, as are the consequences of him getting it, nevermind the methods Dalinar goes through to get it. King Elhokar is still paranoid and isn't likely to just let Dalinar become the Highprince of War without some sort of struggle, though whether the resolve comes from within or from another source (Sadeas probably) is also up in the air. Kaladin's crew are no longer bridgemen so there needs to be some time devoted to show the transition in their lives as well as on the field. Keep in mind that as bridgemen, they never really had to fight before.

And there's always the possibility of one mystery leading to another, which is almost a given. Shallan and Jasnah are currently just looking into the matter of the Parshendi and their motivations. There's still a lot of mystery concerning the past that they haven't even mentioned yet, like all the questions raised in the prologue, Shadesmar, etc.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You'll find his commentaries on his site. http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They talked about that scene in a recent podcast. Summed up, scenes like that only work with appropriate build up. If you didn't understand how Allomancy works, then it loses its impact, but if you can build up to such a moment, it gets awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, in the end the magic systems are kind of like technobabble, only because it involves a magic system he created rather than trying to bullshit physics, they can make sense and be less of a bullshit explanation.

But yeah, the focus on the mystery of the inner workings of magic were rather big points in Elantris and Mistborn, and sometimes overshadowed everything else. In WAy of Kings, it's definitely starting out slower and the magic they've used so far has generally been built into equipment so there's less... Manipulation of it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Black Griffon posted:

Have any of you read Gaunt's Ghosts? Would you compare it to how Abnett's first Ghosts book is incredibly clunky compared to the next ones?

I'd say somewhat. First and Only tackled problems in a manner that felt overly ambitious and somewhat cliche. Elantris suffers somewhat by giving three viewpoints about equal screen time and it didn't feel like it paid off.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hopefully. I don't have a Kindle and I live in Canada so I'm out of luck.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Krakkles posted:

I just finished Elantris, and now I have nothing to read. Dammit, Sanderson, write more books!

He is, the publishers just can't keep up with him.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just read the Emperor's Soul. Definitely enjoyed it and the magic system. The inspiration for the system amused me.

I'm rather enjoying these very short but sweet stories Brandon is putting out. Short enough for a very quick read but long enough for him to fit a good story and even a mini-avalanche.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

404GoonNotFound posted:

"So I was visiting a museum and then HOLY CRAP HISTORYMANCY!"

Between this and coming up with a Supervillain Universe after a case of road rage, I have come to the conclusion that Brandon has the most awesome "mundane" life ever. Every little thing becomes a complete, fleshed-out fantasy universe.

It helps that he's got a very strong drive to flesh things out beyond their inspiration due to his career.

Going from stuff like this to historymancy is amazing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tunicate posted:

EDIT: I just spammed half the thread in PMs. I hope this is acceptable - I heard apparently they look down on people begging publicly or something.

Any chance I could get one my way?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Used to read Sanderson, not really sure why I stopped. At the time I didn't have a Kindle and his books were getting huge so that might be a factor.

Lately I've been enjoying the Cradle series by Will Wight. First book is Unsouled. He builds a magic system in a similar vein as Sanderson, laying lots of hints and foreshadowing here and there, but I don't feel like it ever forms the cornerstone of the story or plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Silver2195 posted:

I like Cradle too, and I've discussed it a bit in ADTRW's webnovels thread. Cradle is an actually decent series in a generally terrible subgenre.

He also wrote the Traveler's Gate books, which I'm more ambivalent towards; they feel kind of...YAish, and there's some intangible elements to the characterization that don't quite work. Also, while some may think it odd to criticize an F/SF series for not having enough exposition, there really isn't enough exposition, particularly in situations where you'd expect the characters to be demanding and giving clear explanations for things. (This does get lampshaded a bit later on.) Wight has admitted that House of Blades in particular suffered from his desire to keep the plot moving, at the cost of both exposition and character development. On the other hand, there's some really neat setting elements; the short stories do a good job of fleshing out the Territories that only appear in passing in the main novels. Also some cool fights.

Yeah, that's more or less my feelings on Traveler's Gate. It's similar to Mistborn in the initial non-standard premise and that did draw me in initially but it ran into issues.