Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008

theshim posted:

I'll second The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. It uses a system of color magic that I describe to my friends as Sandersonesque - by which I mean it's got consistent rules and a full system all planned out ahead of time, just like Sanderson's magic systems (or at least it sure seems so). And this is color magic where different colors all do different things, as opposed to Warbreaker where it was simply color in general.

I'll Third The Black Prism and its sequel The Blinding Knife. More gritty then Sanderson's work while maintaining similar conventions. The second book was much more engrossing then the first.

On another note, Despite the awful title Blood Song by Anthony Ryan was amazing and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Weeks, Ryan, and Sanderson are pretty much my "I will buy anything they publish the day they release it without a second thought or the slightest look at the blurb/reviews" authors. Black Prism and the sequel are amazing - like, I haven't been that into a book since Wheel of Time.

Having met him at one of the Wheel of Time book signings he really comes across as a super nice guy, and not at all insane like some other Mormon author's. Is it just me or did the last three books of Wheel of Time read faster than any other in the series?

Speaking of insanity "Ender's Game" is the go to for most people as an easy sci-fi intro book, and I used to think "Speaker for the Dead" was a masterpiece. maybe I need to go home and rethink my life.

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008
Shallan grew on me over time, i think on my second read of WoK i was paying much closer attention to her point of view than i was Keladin's.