Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

As someone in the industry, most companies start out making lovely shovelware until they land their first nice contract. That doesn't necessarily mean this will be good, but this kind of stuff is fairly common.

My main issue is that I really have trouble seeing the market for this. Unless Sanderson has a far larger appeal than I think he has, I have trouble seeing this game being able to recoup a 5-10 million dollar investment.

I can't say that this is 100% on my buy list, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

IRQ posted:

Under a year of development time? Eurgh.

Fall 2013 is a year and a half away.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

How the hell did I never catch that the Lord Ruler spiked Kelsier like that?

That is A Thing with capital letters.

:aaaaa:

Speaking of things, in the climax of Mystborn, how did they know to capture the Renault barge? I mean we were supposed to think that Marsh told them, but we later learn he didn't. Was it ever explained?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

I get more and more excited every time I read more about Sanderson's whole Cosmere thing. This quote:
made me want to get my books out and start clue hunting.

Also, this whole answer (MISTBORN SPOILERS)
is just..goddamn it Sanderson.

So we can get the ghost of Kelsier, with direct contact to a friendly god, guiding future mistborns :hawaaaafap:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Amarkov posted:

I mean, I wouldn't say Goku sucks as a character either.

Can I then?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I would say that while WoK is definitely the best written book, my favorite is Mistborn by a wide margin. From about halfway through, it was the embodiment of :tviv:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cthulwho posted:

Am i on my own in thinking the mistborn trilogy were bad, bad books?

They aren't exactly high literature, but I find them (the first one especially) to be very fun books.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Above Our Own posted:

He's supposed to be witty. He isn't.

I got the impression that he gave up on being witty and just decided to see how much of a douchebag he could be before someone killed him

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hey, I just reread Mistborn a bit back, and something occured to me. How did they know to arrest the Renoux barge? I mean, I highly doubt that they would have made Marsh an Inquisitor if he had admitted to be being a Skaa thief. It seems like the kind of thing that makes sense when you think they killed him, but not in retrospect.

Did I miss something or has Brandon addressed this?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I've been meaning to post this for a while since I reread WoK, but I just noticed that Elhokar paranoia is caused by him seeing the same symbol headed spren that Shallan saw.

This was probably obvious to most people, but I managed to completely miss it the first time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/the-title-for-brandon-sandersons-second-stormlight-archive-book-has-been-revealed

I much, much preferred "The Book of Endless Pages" for a number of reasons. But who cares? Book's gonna own no matter what words are on the cover.

Until recently, I hadn't realized "The Book of Endless Pages" was an actual thing given to Shallan

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I hadn't heard that before but that is a pretty neat idea, it will be great to see how it plays out. There is something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread before that I'm sure people will freak out over, everyone remembers the three mysterious men hunting Hoid from one of the early interludes right? Well two of those men have had their identities confirmed by Sanderson, and they are Galladon from Elantris and Demoux from Mistborn. For me, something that major being in a short interlude in the first book has me really excited to see where the series goes.

:aaaaa:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

thecallahan posted:

That's actually the one thing I picked up the first time through, rather early on. Now, the other stuff, not so much but granted, the only Sanderson I've read (and loved) has been his Mistborn stuff.

Yeah, I guessed that one super early. I guess he wanted to give us an easy one to make us feel smart.

Also, Wit's entire conversation to Dalinar before he leaves. Holy poo poo, I don't know how that one went by without me noticing it the first time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Forget about another reread for a while, I just started to read TWOT series

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

drat, I saw 30 new posts and had hoped they had announced a publication date for Stormlight 2

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

Yeah... there are some hints the 'mistborn in space' trilogy will start a lot of meeting up with other shardworlds, and that's scheduled for... let's see...

Rithmatist is coming out in like two days
Steelheart comes out September, and it's the first in the (non-cosmere) trilogy, so three books there.
Words of Radiance (October/November)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (Short Story in the Dangerous Women Anthology )- May 2014
Then the dialogue for Mistborn: Birthright... again in 2014
Alcatraz 5 sometime in 2014
Elantris II sometime in 2015
Shadows of Self (Alloy of Law Sequel) sometime around then.

Then there's Nightblood (warbreaker II) 8 more Stormlight Archive novels, the second mistborn trilogy (set between stormlight 5 and 6), and probably a reworking of some of the other Cosmere novel drafts like Silence Divine or Liar of Partinel... and there will obviously be noncosmere stuff interspersed in that...

So that's what, 23 books we can guarantee will come out before the crossovers start happening as part of the plot? I think the original plan was for 38 books total in the shard universe, but stuff like Alloy of Law and Emperor's Soul seem to be pretty organic and spontaneous, so I'm not sure they count.

But yeah Sanderson is like the Rock Lee of novel writing.

Jesus, I never really realized how many books he has already written and intends to write.

Its unreal

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

calandryll posted:

I wish I could write 2000 words in 3 hours, it would make writing my papers so much easier. I am curious how many of those words end up in the final draft.

I'm lucky to get 3000 words in 3 days :smith:

I am a slow writer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

On the other hand, I don't necessarily expect a major twist in book 1 of a giant series to come out of no where. You can get away with that when you have a ton of books with clues that make sense in retrospect, but pull that in book 1 and it seems like your pulling things out of your rear end

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Xachariah posted:

More disabilities amongst the people in Sanderson's books would be fairly refreshing. I mean, for being dystopias the people in the Mistborn and Reckoner's worlds are perplexingly perfect. No one has survived a disease or gotten into an accident or anything? No one happens to have a mental illness or genetic disorder? No asthma, back pains or deafness due to industrial machinery?

I know that the same thing is true for most non-Sanderson media too, but it seems to be more prominent to me when you're in a dystopia with no prevalent miracle healing.

There was plenty of discussion about beggers in Mistborn being the people who had gotten into accidents and lost limbs or had mental issues.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

Thanks. Any idea what you're going to ask him?

I checked out a couple of signing reports from last week. The Mistborn video game has been pushed back to 2015, but the Mistborn TV rights just got sold, so that's cool.

YES!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mortanis posted:

Edit: Honestly, I love all three Mistborn novels, but I'd rather see The Final Empire done as a single mini-series, full stop. I'm not sure how well the other two books would work out on the small screen and still keep up viewer interest without heavy alterations. The Final Empire would work well with the heist aspect and Vin's training, culminating in the tear down of the Lord Ruler. It's got the right number of main characters for a starring cast, is almost serialized for a week to week viewing with the balls and training happening in sequence, and doesn't have a lot of expensive on-location shooting. Well of Ascension? Hero of Ages? I love them, but no, please don't try to wrangle them onto the screen.

Yeah, I agree. A 10 episode treatment of the Final Empire could really be amazing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I really want to learn more about some of these characters in the interludes. Especially, the one with the woman who was destroying the art.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

OK fine, if she isn't a mystery, then how about the weird guy who studied spren. I always smile when I get to his part.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Having re-read it a few months ago, you are going to want to do a re-read. It felt like an entirely different book, and I picked up so much more.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BananaNutkins posted:

I take back what I said about Powder Mage being bad in this thread. Turns out it's just got a crappy first chapter. On chapter 9 now and it's written at least as well as Sanderson prose, with equal amounts of action.

Yeah, its not high fiction, but it is well written enough and a unique enough magic system

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shakugan posted:

Speaking of the WoR cover art, it's funny in a way that it's a Kaladin cover given this is supposedly the/a Shallan book (haven't read the preview chapters). Sort of implies that the publishers realise that it's in their best interests to trick people into thinking it's a Kaladin focused book. I can't say I blaim them, Shallan is a terribly dull character, certainly in comparison to Kaladin and Dalinar, and it's a shame we're getting a book focused on her so soon... or at all really. I trust that it's happening for world building purposes and will all work out. But yeah, if it's necessary, it's a necessary evil.

I really hope that Sanderson doesn't write himself into a Rand-esque corner where where we only get a handful of chapters from the perspective of everyone's favorite character and/or the protagonist per book. World building is great and all, but world building using uninteresting characters, especially when it takes up a large part of a book, is one of the most frustrating things about epic fantasy.

Without spoiling anything, the Shallan chapters from the previews have actually been my favorite. It seems like he has actually found a voice for her that isn't just really awkward word play, like in the first book.

And yeah, it seems like having a book based on a character just means that they get the focus and the backstory. We still got to know Shallan and Dalinar very well in the first book, despite it being Kaladin's book.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

When does he sleep? He is ridiculous amazing

Also, I love how Mistborn is supposed to be three sets of trilogies, and then he just starts adding in more books, unrelated from the actual intended story.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I'm still waiting for the Kelsier focused prequel

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Benson Cunningham posted:

I took Wednesday off work to read this book. Being an adult is phenomenal.

I'm heavily considering doing the same

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

So, I just saw that on thursday, Brandon is doing a book signing literally less than two blocks from where I live. Guess I'll just have to take a long lunch break that day :v:

EDIT: Just downloaded to my Kindle :hellyeah:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 4, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I'm in california and it still downloaded at 9:00PM for me.

Also, holy poo poo this book is amazing. Too short though, I'm already a quarter way through it :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Shallan is 100% my favorite character in this series now. Like with zero question

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

What the gently caress was up with I-9. So we have Judge Dredd and a girl who is basically Vin, without the super obvious trauma. Plus it was long as gently caress. But I guess we learned about a few more powers

EDIT: VVV Yeah, I recognized him from the one with the cobbler, but he actually had screentime in this one

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 5, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jesus christ, chapter 80 is heart wrenching. I feel so bad for Elhohar :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jesus, that was one hell of an ending.

So when does the next book come out?

Edit: I wonder what Elhokar's truth will be to become a light weaver

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 5, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

api call girl posted:

worldbuilding, end of book I figure chapter 80 might count.

I doubt it, because he probably hasn't said the first words. Though he did mention to Kaladin that the symbolheads did go away after Kaladin appeared, so maybe.

Also, what are the first words, because I've been up until 2AM reading two nights in a row and now I can't think for poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Don't read this post till you've finished the book

Velius posted:

Other spoilerish thouhts:
There are a ton of different groups working at cross purposes. Ghostbloods, the Sons of Honor, that Herald killing radiants, Taft's family, the Seventeenth Shard folks, Wit/Hoid. It kind of boggles the mind. It's particularly weird since I never really got a sense from my readings of the true scope of the threat of Odium or the Voidbringers, much less what would motivate so many disparate secret societies to choose different ends-justify-the-means routes to prevent them from coming back. Sure, the visions were dark, but even if the Voidbringers are returning, the impression we're left with after WoR is that even 'ordinary' shardbearers can fight them on a scope of hundreds to one, and the Radiants are coming back. The Everstorm in particular didn't seem all that scary as written. I guess we'll have to see the scope of the desolation more explicitly in the next book, in a couple years.

Yeah, I have the same feeling to some extent. Throughout the entire first book, the Everstorm and the Voidbringers seemed like these monstrous threats, where one or two of them could wipe out a squad of soldiers. I know in the epilogue Hoid said that things were different this time, so maybe their individual fierceness isn't the same. Overall, despite how much I really liked the book and most of the character progression, I can't help but feel like we got too many answers and now we don't have the same kind of obvious questions that we did after the first book. IDK, maybe I've just read too much Wheel of Time.

api call girl posted:

Worldbuilding, end of book I think the Everstorm actually unleashes all the Odium-spren. Venli had to get those stormform spren from somewhere special--if those spren were already out and about some listeners would have already turned to stormform/etc. before now.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. I mean while the stormform parshendi are obviously dangerous, they don't really seem like the type of threat that could literally destroy the world. Even with them being scattered so much through the world as slaves, I still can't help but feel like there are more dangerous forms left. Plus we had that vision of dalinar's with that giant stone monster, and we aint seen anything on that scale yet.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 6, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

spootime posted:

That he's a bad king IMO. Or he's failed his fathers legacy or something like that.

Do we have any indication that he is even aware of what he is? He clearly had no clue by the end of book 1, and from part of his discussion with Kaladin, it doesn't seem like he knows by the end of WoR. Even if he speaks A Truth, does it count if he hasn't said the first oath or isn't actively embracing his nature as a radient?

Also, I'm going to a Sanderson book signing thing, so if anyone has some questions, I'll try to ask them

EDIT: Also, just realized that no one has mentioned Sadeas yet. While on one hand, I am glad to see him finally get killed, on the other hand, I really feel like he never lived up to expectations this book. We see three major plans from him this book: Trying to stop people from dueling Adolin, trying to assassinate Dalinar, and releasing the dream papers. While these are all pretty underhanded and dirty plots, I never got the sense that he might actually win the struggle with Dalinar. There was never really a sense that any of foreboding about these plots and I was never really waiting to see what he would try like I did in the first book. I just feel like he should have been a far bigger threat than he was, and now that he is dead I don't see anyone else in Alethi camp who can be the same kind of problem

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 6, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

This seems like a good time to mention that at the recent book signing I was at, Brandon did a reading from another series where bacteria and viruses have evolved to give people superpowers while they are sick to make themselves more likely to spread. No clue if it is Cosmere related.

He also mentioned that White Sands is being turned into a graphic novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

Cool beans. That book's called Silence Divine, right?

Any juicy Q&A?

In terms of comsere info, not really.

He did tell a hilarious about pranking a beta reader for The Gathering Storm. One of the readers hated Cadsuane, so he added in an extra scene to the epilogue where she revealed that she was a dark friend and then proceeded killed Rand and bring about victory for the Dark One, but only for that one guy. When they got to that chapter, he apparently freaked out and wrote a giant diatribe on the shared google docs thing they were using for the reviews. Everyone else thought he had gone completely insane.