Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the chance of a paperback in the future, or is this a limited thing?

Cheapest price is $37 outside USA/Canada :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should at least release an ebook. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to buy it for me. :frogc00l:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also agree that Spook's arc was a great part of the series, one of my favourites at least.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the Night Angel trilogy, but when I read it I hadn't read much other fantasy at all. I kind of flew through it so I wasn't examining everything just enjoying the ride. I don't want to re-read it now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So when does Elantris start to get interesting? I'm 200 pages in and so far it's been a bit of a bore. I tore through the Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker and loved every second of it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can explain Vin in two words. Teenage Girl.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm about the only person who liked Elend

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never felt like he has ever gone over the top so no complaints here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kekekela posted:

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Elantris (listening on Audible) and am pretty underwhelmed so far. I could give less of a gently caress about any of the characters and find the incessant usage of "sule" and "kulo" cringeworthy (sorry if these are misspelled, again I'm listening so I can only guess how he actually spells them). Is it worth plowing forward or am I probably not going to like the rest of the book if it hasn't grabbed me by now?
I'm right with you there, it's not a good book. I'm slowly crawling my way through it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IRQ posted:

Elantris is rough, no doubt, but I liked it. Once everyone hooked up in fantasy diabetes city it took off for me.
I've started skimming until I get to that part.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even Lightsong knew we was lame.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

keiran_helcyan posted:

So you're saying Lightsong was a master of Dad Humor? I can buy into that.
I think that is exactly what he was going for.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Warbreaker probably has the most dad jokes. Don't be afraid of the size of the novels, they are incredibly easy to read. (Except I think Elantris is a slogfest, getting better in the last 200 pages though.)

I think it took me a week to read the Mistborn series, when it usually takes me two, three weeks to finish any other book. They were just that good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think you could easily get Elantris down to 400 to 450 pages from the 615 it currently is.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jorenko posted:

I didn't really like him at all until his last 3 or 4 chapters.
My thoughts exactly. I liked Raoden and his mates the best and Sarene was about half and half though there were some of her chapters that you can literally skip they are so boring and unimportant.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kekekela posted:

Finally finished Elantris, god-drat that was painful.
I love it when I read posts like theses because I think "thank god it wasn't just me"

Such a slog to get the the Sanderlanche.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Legion will be the first book I'll read on my Iphone because I'm just that desperate for more Sanderson.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an ebook?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But a lot of 16 year olds do act like 12 year olds.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You probably should have bought Mistborn first!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Ah drat, will I be missing out on things if I don't buy that?
Nope! But Mistborn is a lot easier to get into and a lot less intimidating if your not a big fantasy reader.

Mistborn is the best introduction to Sanderson IMO.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 27, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good plan, I like the cut of your jib kid.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot how metal the Inquisitors were and how it was such a big deal to kill one. Man Mistborn was soooo good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

404GoonNotFound posted:

And one had about a thousand years of a literal god of destruction whispering in his ear. That's enough to make anyone slip up a bit, morally speaking.
Yeah, The Lord Ruler isn't evil he is just mentally ill.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he will take 2 and a half years to finish each book. 1 and a half sounds more like it. So 12 years. 15 if you count breaks (in which we will get more books).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the cover for a really bad YA novel.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alloy of Law is finally a $7 paperback, woo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I'd wait longer than an hour to get a signature, I guess they don't really mean much to me. Meeting the guy would be more important to me.

What is the appeal in getting something signed anyway? Assuming you don't want it so it's worth more (which is just greed imo)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

It's a souvenir, you get to hang out with other fans, and it makes the book more personal. And if it's a new release signing, who cars if you have to wait in line? You literally just got a new book.
Yeah I appreciate that it might mean that. I can understand waiting hours in line for a brand new book and getting it signed would be a bonus, I still don't think I would do it though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've seen any TV show where "magic powers" as the main thing has been done justice.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When you think your own jokes are funny and you don't care if other people do that tends to say something about you.

( I haven't read Stormlight yet btw )

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think people are unfairly comparing a YA novel to an adult novel.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer Chloe Moretz over Ellen Page, she has attitude. I'd like Jennifer Lawrence though too but I love her :allears:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Promise of Blood was pretty drat good!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh great, I just realized that my hard copy will likely be delayed due to Mardi Gras.

God I loving hate this state :bang:
Just go party and read it later

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just read Mistborn

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Élantris, Warbreaker and then E Soul

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3) from noted Sanderclone Brian McClellan comes out tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Republic-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00KVK33AI/
gently caress yeah!

Also the library got in firefight! Woo!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xtanstic posted:

So I just finished Elantris. I found it fine but dull. It had it's moments but for the most part I just plodded along. Certainly I can cut him some slack because it's his first published novel.
I had the same feeling as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Firefight. It was pretty enjoyable!~

it really is a superheroes novel and it's done pretty drat well