Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just finished ROW, and holy hell the majority of that book was super bleak but the payoff was absolutely worth it, basically every major character's arc got finished though.

I guess the next book is gonna mostly be about the next ten days? I wonder if it's gonna focus less on Kaladin and Shallan since they've pretty much finished their arcs. Less of them and Navani, more of Dalinar and Jasnah? Probably Adolin and Maya too. I feel like the narrative is kind of in a weird place since some characters have a lot of development left and some don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

eke out posted:

im really excited to see how each order's plate probably has their own special ability (and that crazy mobility is windspren's)

this seems extremely likely to me, it fits in with the windrunner fixation on protection allowing them to put their Plate on other people too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I really like how people in this series get superpowers by literally yelling their character growth out loud

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was honestly expecting Adolin to bond Maya before the last trial scene ended, I totally bond-ship them

Granted I had the same reaction toward Rlain and the Sibling and look how that turned out

I do really think that the Sibling just getting over themselves and bonding Navani already makes a whole lot of narrative sense though and I found it satisfying, even if it means Rlain got bonded by a rando spren ex machina instead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As for who Odium's champion is, obviously we're supposed to expect it'll be Moash, but I'm honestly leaning toward it being Szeth. Taravangian is Odium now, and he has a lot of experience making Szeth do stuff, especially since he's not dumb anymore. Szeth is about to go through some serious poo poo in Shin, and I'd be surprised if Taravangdium couldn't somehow twist that to his advantage. If you could choose between Moash and Szeth, wouldn't you do everything in your power to go with Szeth?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

That would definitely be a twist, given that Szeth has essentially sworn himself to Dalinar as one of his ideals

Taravangian could definitely justify it -- losing the duel makes Dalinar Odium's champion and as such immortal, and when you think about it isn't that really the best outcome for him etc etc etc. It wouldn't even be against Dalinar's orders necessarily, since Dalinar is contractually obligated to do this duel, and as such if Taravangian picks Szeth as his champion, Dalinar might be forced to tell him to just do the duel since the alternative would put him in breach.

Infinite Karma posted:

And also Moash is blind and no longer magically, completely, fearless and confident.

this part I actually literally forgot about somehow lol

a whole bunch of poo poo happens in like the last 40 or 50 pages of this book, it is a very dense climax w/r/t narrative progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do the Fused not have healers? Like, I get how that might not work on Moash's blindness, and I get how they could very believably not give a single poo poo about healing anyone else, but it does seem like kind of a big hole in their capabilities

but maybe I'm just tainted by RPGs having "healer" as one of the base archetypes

is this enough spoiler-tagging? Having trouble judging lol

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 4, 2021