Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This was pretty great. Also, Wayne is a cartoon character and I love it. He's practically Bugs Bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah, he gets injured way too much. Try Daffy Duck.

I was thinking more of the disguises, high speed blurred costume changes, and fast talking.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Xenix posted:

It's been a while since I read WoK, but didn't Szeth follow his peoples' code of honor to a fault? He was sold as a slave for some crime but believed he must endure the punishment and his owners despite loathing what they had him do, loathing himself because he did it, and having the means to end his captivity at any time. They are honor spren and not morality spren, after all.

Sanderson why are we spoiling this?confirmed that Szeth isn't getting his powers the same was that Kaladin is

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Algid posted:

Given what the current "big bad monster" is I don't think that's a very valid accusation.

Yeah, it's not even in the right loving ballpark. Worm is maybe one of the best things I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books across all sorts of genres.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I finished WoR and now I'm going to post a couple of things/observations/crazy theories for people to make fun of!

1) This world (Roshar?) was created by Cultivation. The plants, animals, and people of this world (that is the parshendi/listeners and not the humans) and most of the spren are of Cultivation originally. Honor (and humans and Horses and a few other animals) came to this place later, at the same time as, or sometime before Odium came to this planet.

2) Cultivation is destroyed, diminished, or bound in some way that prevents it (her?) from acting or changing this planet. Maybe Odium shattered her like he did the shards of the elantris world, maybe something else happened, but she's effectively gone. The parshendi/listeners feel as if the spren abandoned them, and turned to/found their "gods" in response. Their "gods" are of course Odium/Odium spren.

3) The highstorms are of Honor, as it is a splinter/spren of his that controls/causes them. The Highstorms bring nutrients (in the form of crem) that the life of this planet depends on to survive. The rains (or at least the rains of the weeping) do not. They also bring stormlight, which the people and spren of Honor use in order to fight Odium. The Highstorms are an attempt by Honor to make up for the loss/diminishment of Cultivation and a means of opposing Odium.

4) In Cultivations absence Odium has "take over" her creations. He uses his spren to transform all of Cultivations creation in order to twist it into a weapon for use against Honor. Every animal native to Roshar as well as the plants and the very stones can be twisted by these Odium spren.

5) Odium did not kill Honor, Honor committed suicide. Honor tricked Odium into making an agreement that would bind Odium to this planet, and as deception and manipulation are against Honor's nature, this act destroyed him.

I feel like all of these but #5 are sure bets. #5 is honestly just a guess based on the themes of these books and what I know of the nature of shardholders, and it's likely wrong, but I felt the need to get it out there anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blind Melon posted:

Wit does not have Taln's honor blade, and it being missing is a clue that something is not right with the whole story, per Sanderson. He also said that Taln's being the Herald of the same name was an assumption, which could be misdirection or a clue. Either way, something is going on there.

Which further muddies the Ghostbloods motivation, it they where/are aware.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

api call girl posted:

Huh, he seems pretty convinced that he is, and we've even had a, granted it's from a broken mind, POV from him. And the details seem to be that known only to the Heralds themselves. Huh. The plot thickens.

My guess the real herald has been getting people to fill in for him, either willingly or by force, giving them a shardblade and sending them to fight in his place until they are driven insane, then replacing them, only something has gone wrong this time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Why would the Heralds, who were given the Honorblades, which are basically piece of Honor be agents of Odium?

My guess is that there is actually something about how the Radiants opperate or get their power that is fundamentally incompatible with the first oath that they all share. Using stormlight is probably somehow destructive, or it's a finite resource.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I've always though that the Radiants abandoning their duties was due in some way to them discovering that the Heralds abandoned theirs.

I really doubt that. Everything we've thus seen of the Radiant's bonds makes it come off as a super deep and personal thing. Now the Radiant's might not have been aware of what forsaking their oaths would do to their spren, but I'll bet they did know, and felt it necessary anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wonder if Taravangian may have Gotten to the real Taln first and replaced him with someone he tortured into crazyness. Gets the "voidbringers are back" message out but lets Tarvangian keep the real guy and more importantly his honorblade. Plus the diagram could probably predict not only the reappearance of a herald, but there there is only one left and where he would show up.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I reread the part in Taravangian's chapter where he's talking to Szeth. It's mentioned that the Shin only have 8 of the honour blades, well now 7 since Kaladin claimed Szeth's. That leaves one unaccounted for. Also, the 17th shard says Zahel is actually Vasher, did I miss something?

Yes you missed that he's Vasher. But less jokingly, there are a ton of clues in the guys dialogue, fighting style, and philosophy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah Odium isn't just killing shardholders, he is smashing the very shards themselves into little bitty pieces, preventing them from ever being claimed in that fashion again.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TequilaJesus posted:

I have an oddly-specific question:

I listened to the first two Mistborn books on audiobook. I recently read the third the traditional way. Given that the writer of the chapter openings is actually Sazed, whose voice did the narrator use when he read those sections? Obviously, he had to keep it a secret, right? Or did we start with Sazed's voice saying "I am, unforunately, the hero of ages?"

I really don't want to buy another audiobook just to figure this out, but it's really bugging me for some reason.

It doesn't give it away.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So are the Fused really the souls of ancient Parshmen, or are they actually the souls of the original Voidbringers/humans?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One thing that keeps nagging at me about the Stormlight Archives and Honor in specific is that, while typically in fiction swearing an Oath(making a pact, signing a contract) is a way of gaining power, usually directly from the guarantors of the contract, breaking an Oath usually gives the entity granting the contract quite a lot of power over the one who broke the thing.

But we've seen no sign, as of yet, that the guarantors seem to be getting anything.

Hell, in the real world breaking a contract usually comes with some sort of penalty.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Contracts usually come with penalties for those who break them.

So... what's the penalty for breaking those contracts? Mere forfeiture of the power the contract granted would be extraordinarily lenient, especially when you consider that those breaking those oaths are Odium's people originally.

The only real penalty we've seen is suffered by the Spren, rather than the one that actually broke the drat contract in the first place.

This seems like an omission, and Sanders isn't the sort of omit things on accident.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

should just turn every drat character into wayne

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is why I'm looking forward to the eventual timeskip and the books that take place after it (even though we probably won't see them for another decade since they'd be books 6+). You just know we're going to get characters from the Wax and Wayne books ending up on Roshar at Harmony's urging, especially if/when he figures out that the external threat he's dealing with is from Odium. It probably won't be Wax but I'd love for it to be Wayne, MeLaan(?), and maybe someone else to make the trip. Bonus points if they get to use the Bands as well since the only thing that'd freak people out more than guns or a shapeshifter (who probably can't be hurt by shardblades unless you destroy their spikes) would be a gunman who has powers that make most Radiants look like frail children.

But really I just want Lopen and Wayne to meet and start trying to out-bullshit one another before joining forces to kick rear end across the Cosmere.

I think if Lopen and Wayne met, Wayne would immediately try to copy or impersonate him, succeed, and the whole of the Cosmere would collapse into itself from the strain.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wayne could probably juggle multiple Nahel bonds.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

jebrown84 posted:

And any Kandra we don't know about.

Seen a theory that Dalinar's guide to the Nightwatcher might have been a kandra.

Anyway. I wonder if maybe the Kandra can crossbreed with humans now and Sazed just didn't tell them because that would gently caress with their free will. It seems like the sort of thing Sazed would do, and he did give the Koloss a way out of their racial dead end.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been saying since before this book that Adolin's going to revive his sword. The previous books showed that unlike most shardbearers, Adolin had an almost religious reverence for his sword. After learning about the true nature of the shards left behind by the Radiants he got even more appreciative towards it and gears are beginning to turn. Wonder if he'll ever think to ask Dalinar (and the Stormfather) about it and if they can do anything to help Maya out.

His actions to defend the prostitute in the earlier book, and the child in Oathbringer, was clearly him acting in accordance with the Second Ideal of the Windrunners to protect those who cannot protect themselves. :colbert:

...but it'll be a cold day in hell before Adolin becomes a squire to Kaladin. :v:

Adolin's sword is a dead Culltivationspren, not an honorspren.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I think that will be the twist. He will definitely revive his blade, but it's not guaranteed that he will bond her. He might become a Radiant of a different order.

iirc WoB is that the nahel bond is part of reviving a dead spren

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Yaarp. You also have to be suitable for the bond to develop, ie someone the spren would have liked

Adolin is perfect, go figure

You also need to restore the bond to the same level as when it was broken, using the same exact words that were used for the oaths the first time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's WoB, unless i'm remembering really really wrong.

it's supposed to be a really loving hard thing to do, bordering on impossible.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

As much as I want to see Adolin bring that spren back, I want to see someone with two or more nahel bonds more.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Whoever ends up being the one who can juggle two sets of oaths and two spren is probably going to be a bit of a nut case. Maybe if one of their orders was lightweaver that would make it a bit easier.

I doubt we'll see it until the second half of the series anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Nightwatcher had the sword before Nale. I figured Vasher gave it to her/it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, my expectation is that the "Unite them" voice is actually Cultivation, who knows, thanks to her being good at foresight, that she's going to get shattered. It isn't a commandment to put Honor's shard back together, rather it's the command to put honor's and cultivation's splinters together into a whole new, combined, shard

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wayne and Lopen can't meet because that would just invalidate all of Hoid's stupid schemes and plans and poo poo in one burst of searing awesomeness. Plus I'm quite sure Wayne would rapidly end up bonded to every one of the great spren on Roshar leaving not a loving one for anyone else. All of the spren would be certain that they'd bonded a different person.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

You say all this like it's a bad thing. As mysterious and intriguing as Hoid is, I would LOVE to see him taken down a peg or two.

Wayne is probably my favorite Sanderson character. As of the end of Bands of Mourning, I'm pretty sure that it's Wayne, not Wax, who will be best-remembered and celebrated by future generations. His philanthropic efforts in pushing scientific progress will revolutionize Scadriel. Wax will be remembered as a Wyatt Earp type, a folk hero, but Wayne is going to be their Edison.

Don't forget that Wayne appears to be the first person to start a real relationship with a member of a dying race.

Unless Sazed actually intends the Kandra to die off, I expect this will lead somewhere.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

mewse posted:

Lol Wayne starting a new race of half kandras would be so silly

Imagine what anyone raised by Wayne and MeLaan would be like.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

aggressively, boringly, normal

a normal so honed and sharp that everyone who interacts with them ends up committed to the nearest asylum

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Mistwraiths are all gone. Or at least, no one from the Elendel region has seen one. Marasi mentions this while exploring the graveyard in bands of mourning.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mistborn Era 2 contains some of Sanderson's flat out best work and best written characters, these books are so much better than the original Mistborn trilogy, they really put them to shame. In themes, characters, dialogue, all of it really. They are easily some of Sanderson's best stuff, only really being overshadowed by The Emperor's Soul.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

How was the book about the spaceship?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Finished Skyward. Not Sanderson's best work, very very YA. I wouldn't call it bad, but I care more about the setting and it's mysteries then I do about any of the very very shallow characters, which is bad compared to even Sanderson's early stuff where at least one character would be interesting.

Also That slug is totally an alien spy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Literally just finished Skyward as well. They certainly were pretty shallow, but I still found myself caring for Spensa more than anyone in Wheel of Time :)

That said, I guess I missed it - how did Cobb know about M-Bot

I definitely enjoyed the last 2/3 more than the first 1/3 and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

I'd guess that M-Bot contacted Cobb on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sanderson will eventually write all books.