Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IRQ posted:

I wish he would stop bringing up the mormon thing though, it makes me remember I should hate him. But I don't, because he's awesome.

Internal conflict :smithicide:

He's one of the good ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

Haha, that's pretty great.

I still love Brandon's description of what he thought Harry Dresden would've done in last year's Suvudu match:

quote:

"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

senae posted:

Are we done with spoiler tags now?

I haven't read this series so I can't figure out what should be in spoiler tags and what shouldn't, so yeah, everyone please make sure they're putting spoiler tags around anything from a book that's been published in the past six months,as per the rules thread ("If you *are* in a discussion thread for a specific author, book, or series, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year. ") This includes quoting blocks of text from other people who didn't use spoiler tags when they should've.

If you've accidentally posted something without spoiler tags that should've had them, please go back and fix it. Otherwise I'll have to spend all kinds of time reading this thread to figure out what is a spoiler and what isn't so I can properly enforce the rules, and that will make me grumpy. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Habibi posted:

Sanderson is not great at dialog for the same reason he is pretty good at fights - it's all god drat anime. It hit me a while ago when rereading Towers (or whichever the penultimate one was) in prep for AMoL. Rand is like the animeist character ever when Sanderson is writing him.

Which is part of why he was such a good choice for WoT -- WoT is basically a western anime, right down to ten year's worth of plot dilation and three love interests for the main character conveniently color-coded by their hair.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because I looked up wheel of time after finding out it had 14 books and then saw each book was like 500-600 pages and maybe you all are accustomed to it at this point but to an outsider a dude writing a 10,000+ story is kind of astounding

Like, Henry Darger wrote a 15,000 page novel but he was also a shut-in schizophrenic who just endlessly rambled about little girls over and over and even then it took his whole life and he never got it published and this dude wrote 2/3 the length of that and published it

It's a job, they work at it. Wheel of Time is actually even "larger" than the published works -- there's something like 10,000 pages of background notes etc. It seems like a lot but when you figure writing five pages a day, for twenty years, it adds up. It's easier to keep working steadily on something when you're getting paid for doing so.

It seems kinda crazy yeah but then Tolkien did essentially the same thing -- there's like fifteen volumes now of additional Tolkien background notes that have been published. Tolkien and Jordan were both combat vets though (Jordan was a helicopter door gunner in viet nam) and I suspect in both cases the fantasy world was a way of dealing with the psychological trauma of combat.

That said, Wheel of Time does have a lot of lovely filler but there are passages within it that I think even you might like, Mel -- primarily a very staccato, pointillistic way of describing battle scenes and some interesting depictions of the PoV of characters who are gradually (or rapidly?) going insane.

With Sanderson I think it's more that he's just got that protestant work ethic and he treats it like a job and works at it with goals and timetables. He's very open about his writing process -- he seems to almost have it down to a kind of production line. It may not be artisanal but it's definitely professional.

Also how the hell did you only just now find out about Wheel of Time, you've been here long enough to remember when it had 300+ page threads in this forum, I kinda don't believe you that you only just now googled it

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 11, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am sitting at a book store while my dog gets groomed. Might as well crack one of em open while I wait.

The general consensus is it's a "start at the beginning and keep going till you feel like stopping" series. The first book is probably the strongest, maybe the third. Most people give up somewhere between books seven and ten. If you make it through to book 11 the quality curves back up again but there's no point in forcing yourself to get there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

With all due respect I am only going for maybe 100 pages. I gave up on the presumption of actually finishing these things back with Gene Wolfe

Oh yeah sure. If you read up to Shadar Logoth in the first book - maybe 200 pages in or so? -- you'll know everything you need to know about the whole series, at least the Jordan-written parts (Sanderson has a noticeably different descriptive style -- more Lord of the Rings, less Apocalypse Now).

The first 100 pages or so they're still in their home village and Jordan used a more "standard fantasy" style deliberately to make readers feel "at home".

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BananaNutkins posted:

The first book reused almost all the beats from the fellowship of the ring, but with a sexy wizardess instead of Gandalf.

Yup.

The counterpoint is that at the time having an actual female in actual charge making actual decisions in a genre fantasy novel was approximating the revolutionary. Whether you think that's still a thing worth caring about in 2018, or ever was for that matter, is debatable of course.

That said, Jordan's more personal style does show up at a few points even early on in the first book:

• The prologue
  • Moiraine's little speech as they leave town
  • The various reality-breaking bits that start to happen as they get on the road
  • the staccato descriptions of combat in and around and before Shadar Logoth

some of them just don't work -- like, he tries to do some weird things with narrative order in the story section on the road to Caemlyn, but it doesn't come together and is just confusing instead of reflecting the protagonists' mental confusion.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 11, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok before I continue is the main character a chosen one and possibly the reincarnation of the old king dude from the prologue and is he tasked with fighting a returning and eternal evil

Look, I told you it was pulp fantasy, what did you expect?

What made it different at the time was the bit about how everyone in the setting views the return of said Chosen One as a bad thing and blames the Chosen One for loving it all up the last time. Again, revolutionary (within the genre) (at the time). Fantasy-novel-protagonist-as-vietnam-vet + gender_stuff.

What if the Chosen One is . . . bad?

If you're not a fan of the genre :shrug: it is what it is. It's got some good moments.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

NinjaDebugger posted:

Sanderson is like someone took the adage that the first million words you write will be garbage and decided to just do a million a year to see how far he could get.

Yeah. I think if I'd read Sanderson at the age I first read Jordan I'd probably like his stuff, but 1) I've only read Sanderson's first couple novels where I think his prose was a lot weaker and 2) by the time I got to Sanderson I'd read so much other genre fantasy that I'd kinda lost interest. He's not bad he just strikes me as a bit too formulaic for my present tastes. I probably haven't given him a fair shake though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jesus christ you absolute fuckers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Hi, I'm told this is the closest thing to a WoT thread that there is right now, and also from context I assume that it isn't packed with die-hard fans who will not welcome my bad-faith barbed questions about it.

I have this friend who lives his life according to WoT this and WoT that and who will not shut up about WoT no matter how much I silently nod and try to change the subject. Now that he finally seems to believe that I actually have read it and am not just faking it through cliff's notes and wikipedia, he insists to me that the only reason I don't recognize it as the apotheosis of literature and writing skill the way he does is that I didn't read it carefully enough and I should read it again.

Specifically he says I should pay careful and close attention to Rand (the most interesting character ever, because he is running for Pope and President of the United States at the same time and he is just so awesome) and the way he treats Mat and Perrin, the way he treats Moiraine, and the way he treats Cadsuane as the story goes on, and that this is supposed to give me clues and deep insights into the character development process and how supremely skilled writers craft a world, and how I should do it if I were to harbor any aspirations to write fiction of my own. I don't know, for my part all I remember is that he progressively became more and more of a supercilious egotistical twat toward them all, intentionally, because he kept chanting to himself that I MUST BECOME HARD and :sever: himself from any human emotion or weakness because if he showed any kind of vulnerability or empathy his enemies would attack him through his loved ones. Apparently there's more to it than that, and when I asked for details he just said "read it again and pay attention this time". Did I miss some super important but impressively subtle subtext and thread of clues woven throughout his arc, or am I just being gaslit?

(nb: I enjoyed the Sanderson books approximately one million times more than the preceding slow-motion trainwrecks. Holy poo poo, something is actually happening! Rand reached rock bottom and did something and now he's becoming a person again! Oh yeah there's a character in there after all!)

uuuugh

If you want to drop a truth bomb on this dude, do this:

Rand is intended as a study of / response to a war veteran with PTSD. The series was originally conceived with Tam -- i.e., a war veteran trying to return to life on the farm -- as the protagonist, but it got changed later to be about kids because that sells better. The whole "I MUST BECOME HARD" thing is Rand going insane and it's supposed to be a bad thing, that's why Rand rejects it at the end. Rand's the protagonist sure but that doesn't mean the work endorses his every action or viewpoint -- most of the time he's making one degree or another of horrible mistake, and usually suffering as a result. (Much of Rand's storyline even in the final books was Jordan-drafted with only minimal revision by Sanderson).

I think some people get REALLY into WoT because 1) sunk cost fallacy and 2) if all you've ever read is genre fiction then an actual character study of a protagonist with actual mental health issues and real stress and protagonists who make mistakes etc. can be a revelation. It's also got unusually independent female voices for fantasy genre fiction, etc.

:shrug: Compared to what was out there in the late eighties / early nineties, WoT deserves credit for moving the genre forward. At this point the genre has moved past it in a lot of ways though. For example, what were gender-forward steps in the 80's now often seem stereotyped ("Women do things like this, men do things like That").

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 18, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

yeah I think we're at the point where we can admire that WoT is a historically important series to the genre at large, and even its many flaws were often done better than a lot of its contemporaries. but it's a huge red flag if someone defends it in the way Data Graham described lol

Yup. The best possible interpretation of a dude like that is that they've never read anything else except for lovely pre-1990's genre fiction. Which is its own kind of condemnation.

I mean, you look at the jacket quotes for Eye of the World, one of them's from Piers Anthony. Late-eighties American fantasy was a morass. Even like, Pratchett and Gaiman were still over in England then and not really known to American audiences.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yeah, on one level, Rand has the PTSD bad just from the experience of being who he is going what he's going through

On the other hand he also has Fantasy Magic Insanity that doesn't really follow any rules

And both are happening at the same time in the same head.

:shrug: it is what it is. Jordan was attempting to write a better fantasy series than what had come before. He succeeded in a lot of ways but it's still a deeply flawed work.

I'll also give Jordan this credit: his battle scenes are well drawn. He has a great flash-bulb staccato style of depicting combat that I think does draw on his combat experience and which I haven't seen another genre writer match -- everything's first person, everything's happening all at once, nothing's understood till afterwards. There's a marked contrast with Sanderson's battle scenes, which always come across as if directed by Peter Jackson and shot from a helicopter camera -- they're clearer and better depicted but much less visceral and immediate.

If you just want to give the guy poo poo, make him defend the fifty four page bath chat scene in book 10. That's fifty four pages in hardback. Of Elayne taking a bath.

Also your friend is an idiot because Tolkien fought in the Somme

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

if stormlight is ever filmed and is not wuxia, i will be furious

actually that reminds me

another good way to troll WoT discussions:

"It's just a western, text Anime."

Then you go through and list anime tropes that are present in WoT -- the three different color coded girlfriends (one brunette, one blonde, one redhead) being the most obvious, but then the cartoonishly described magic, the immensely overwrought length, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its weird not to be

It's actually not *that* unusual for successful genre fiction. Look at how many Tarzan novels Edgar Rice Burroughs pumped out -- twenty four, each about 200 pages long, and that's while also writing his John Carter series, his Pellucidar series, etc.

There is a difference that Burroughs was writing a serial whereas WoT is a singly conceived work, but hell, Malazan is longer.

It's just a different kind of professionalism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How come more fantasy novels don't have sports in them

Rowling has commented on this, apparently the quidditch matches were the hardest part of the series to write. It was a necessary part of the school-days setting but it was apparently quite difficult for her to 1) set up a set of rules for a fantastical game in a fantastic setting and she felt she kinda failed because the game doesn't really make much sense, and 2) even harder in an ongoing series to tell new quidditch stories every book and still have them be original and interesting.

Data Graham posted:

e: oh there it is, of course, "mirrored stand-lamps", "bustling", how could I have forgotten

Looks like it's only 4-5 pages before the pirate ladies come in though

My favorite detail is the scene where the bathwater goes cold and has to be re-warmed. Like, even he knows this poo poo has gone on too long.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Does chess count as a sport?

quote:

The three of them manage to reach the isolated city of Manator. Gahan ventures into the city seeking food and water, but is tricked and taken prisoner by the inhabitants. Tara and Ghek are also captured. In Manator, captives are forced to a fight to the death in the arena, in a modified version of Jetan, a popular Barsoomian board game resembling Chess; the living version uses people as the game pieces on a life-sized board, with each taking of a piece being a duel to the death.

Because that's some classic poo poo right there

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm more thinking of a sport that isn't chess and can't involve a weapon like fencing and isn't people just boxing

You end up with poo poo like pro bending I think because there's not a whole lot of intersectionality between sports fans and fantasy writers

You also end up with the Tournament Problem

Games and sports are inherently, almost definitionally, unimportant. Whatever the book is about, it's almost certainly going to be inherently more important than the sport game, so why are the characters all playing sportball when the world is on fire or the orphanage is about to be condemned or BuckBeak is gonna get executed or ToonTown is going to be Erased or whatever it is? So in poo poo like Dragonball it's half the world is on the line and the other half of the time for some reason we're supposed to care about some dumb-rear end tournament.

The other reason sports are important in the real world is that they function as proxies for tribal identities -- Philly, America, etc. -- and none of those tribes are present in a fantasy world soooo why would we care about their sportsball?

You do occasionally get things like Myth Directions where it's just "The Gang Plays the Big Game" type plots

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I think it works when the sport is part of the storyline like in the video game pyre where everyone's stuck in this lovely situation and the only way to escape is to play ritual fantasy basketball under your captor's rules to escape

In fantasy or SF though that usually turns into Game of Death style thing -- Hunger Games, Hunters of the Red Moon, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The problem with most fantasy sports is, holy poo poo, why aren't the fields littered in corpses

Like given Quidditch speeds and heights it's played at bodies should just be droppin'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Like quite literally the only thing the book does is replay the events of the one worthwhile chapter from the previous book, from several different charactersí / partiesí perspectives. Itís like the whole goal was to release a book without covering any ground at all.

(Which may have been true as he was writing to cover his wifeís medical bills at the time)

Jordan admitted in later interviews that that book was basically a failed experiment -- he was trying to do "reactions to Big Event, happening worldwide" but it just didn't pan out right.

Sab669 posted:

As much as I bitch about these books I do appreciate the recap, Torrannor. It's so easy to lose track of important details even if you're heavily invested in a series, never mind when you're not :) I forgot he was foretold to marry her / everything else the foxes said.

Yeah, the other relevant detail on her is that she's basically the heir to the Seanchan throne.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wait Sanderson has a Murderbot in addition to the Murderbot who has her own book series by Martha Wells?

I confuse so easily these days

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I think the WoT prologues are so long because 1) he has to recap EVERYTHING and 2) for a while there they were releasing the prologues for free on the internet before the books themselves came out to build publicity

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

Galad is obviously Galahad, but what are all the other names influenced by / based on?

Grabbed this list from Reddit, even it's only partial:

quote:

Rand as Artur Hawkwing, the dragon reborn -- King Arthur/Hawking unites the kingdom, etc

Luthair Paendrag as Uther Pendragon (b. 8, p.523)

Queen Morgase -- Queen Morgause, Sister to King Arthur, Mother of Gawain (Has a sister named Elaine) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgause

Gareth Bryne, the queen's military adviser -- Gareth is the youngest son of Lot and Morgause http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth

Gawyn -- Sir Gawain, one of the greatest knights. mies.

Galad -- Sir Galahad,
Thom Merrilyn -- Merlin,

Al'Lan Mandragoran -- Lancelot,

Egwene -- Guinevere initially loves Arthur, but falls in love with another person. Or perhaps the Lady of the Lake (Avalon).

Tor Valon as Avalon, the mystic isle where Arthur goes to die.

sa'angreal as san graal -- the holy grail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangreal

Callandor as Excalibur, the sword that none could touch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur

cuendillar - heartstone -- "cuer" old french for "heart" http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cuer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

https://twitter.com/WoTWritersRoom/status/1141390183641866245

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161671427117867008?s=19

Braids confirmed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

Who is playing Perrin and Egwene?

I've never heard of anything listed on this person's IMDB profile, other than Power Rangers (but even then I'm not familiar with this particular series, only the 'brand') so :shrug: Doesn't inspire confidence in the same way that the announced talent for Sanderson's cosmere works also doesn't. Hopefully I'm wrong in both cases :)

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161673919436185600

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161672659534413824

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161670278448947201

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161668876720984064

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1141390183641866245

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Do we need a new wheel of time thread?

I like how Moiraine is the one white lady.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

I would be perfectly OK if they do not be speaking like an illainer, honestly.

Also book 14 ch 37 is TWO HUNDRED FORTY PAGES long what the gently caress

Book 10, chapter 12 feels longer

yes that's the fifty pages of bathtime

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Goddammit

the last thing i need to do is re-read goddam Wheel of Time again

I'm gonna do it aren't I

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

socialsecurity posted:

They should just do Wheel of Time as a musical, magic can be like Fantastia and Rand can do duets with the voices in his head.

The Ring Cycle already takes a full week to stage.

You'd have to set aside all the broadway theaters at once and have them do each book in parallel.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 15, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

seaborgium posted:

Had a stroke and is still recovering, though he would be an amazing Thom.

Oh no

well at least he has tad cooper

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

For a few of the later books the "prologues" were essentially teaser trailers for the books, and released early, so that kinda got them bloated I think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DarkHorse posted:

I always thought he'd be the seed for the next Dark One or something after the original was defeated

I still kinda think this was what Jordan was planning. We can get metatextual up in this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wheel of Time is way light for the HBO crowd. If anything they're gonna sex it up heavily.

I mean say what you will about the casting decisions, they're all forge-melting hot

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

i think the real question is which main characters they make gay, as that is probably necessary for any sexy young show

you already know the answer: Egwene, Moiraine, Siuan

Maybe Matt ends up extremely bi / poly but I doubt they go there. They'll stick with sexy lesbians.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

By the way, someone please confirm for me that this name is pronounced with an "Ah" as the first syllable and not an "Ay"

(Friend of mine who is way too into WoT insists that it's the latter, and HE TOTALLY WENT TO ROBERT JORDAN'S HOUSE AND SPENT DAYS TALKING WITH HIM AND HEARING HIS STORIES AND THIS IS HIS VISION)

If this series is in fact going to get made, this will become an issue I will personally have to deal with

Did he really?

Annoy him by insisting on pronouncing all the names with a Seanchan accent (ie an exaggerated southern drawl)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Egwene definitely has a lot of both high and and low points, especially in the later books, but also I think a lot of the hostility comes from her being a career woman who chases her goals without compromise and who isn't all that concerned about catching a man.

The one who really irritates me is Elayne. Just all privilege all the time, constantly fails upward, never really catches a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There is apparently a website called http://www.thedailytrolloc.com/with updates about the tv show.