Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

treeboy posted:

That being said Brandon is awesome and a total nerd. He brought his cards and played Magic with fans after the signing.

He seriously is. I think I mentioned this in the WoT thread, but at Dragoncon this year I hung out in the WoT track room playing games (not Magic) and chatting with people until late. When I left at 3am to get some sleep, Brandon was still going strong playing Magic with people.

I just finally finished listening to the 45 hour audiobook of WoK last night. Overall, I liked it a lot. I thought it started a bit slow and stereotypically fantasy, but got a lot better as details got fleshed onto the framework showing why this is this way or that is that way.

Although if he doesn't come up with a cool answer for why there are safehands other than fashion/mores I will be irked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Argas posted:

At least I can expect him to get something out eventually, he's not GRRM after all.

Maybe I spend too much time reading the bad thread, but I can't help reading this:

quote:

I do believe that as a writer who has begun series, it is my responsibility to see that the other pieces of the story are written in a timely manner.
as a shot at the GRRM.

Anyways, Brandon's always been up front about timing; WoK was done relatively quickly because he had a draft of it already complete. At Jordancon this past year before WoK was out, he was saying WoK out in the summer, Towers probably November, maybe slipping to spring 2011 since publishers don't like putting out major books in the holidays, the final Wheel of Time probably Nov 2011 or Spring 2012. The next Stormlight wasn't likely before 2012 anyways, so I don't really see much of a schedule slip so far.

Both Stormlight and Wheel of Time likely have common audiences, so I'm not sire how bad the wait really is.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the order of the flashbacks

I think they needed the lighteyes betrayal shown early to show Kaladin's progression. You know he hates lighteyes, but that needed to peak before showing his path towards trusting one. Tien's death is meaningful mostly to understand the flashbacks and why Kaladin sometimes acts like he does, not really for character growth.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I think he's said that he's expecting to do a much bigger book tour come A Memory of Light, the end of the WoT series. I may head up to the NYC signing in a couple days. I had a friend who decided to head down to VA for a signing this weekend from the Philly area. If she'd have told me before leaving, I might have joined her.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

senae posted:

Counterpoint:Crossroads of Twilight

Crossroad's biggest issue is that the book following it wasn't out for several years. Stuff moves forward, just no big climactic scenes. I didn't find the "slump" anywhere near as objectionable on a reread as I did while waiting for the books to be released.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

IRQ posted:

And the books by Sanderson are WoT worship so you're not getting anything drastically different anyway.

If you don't like WoT by book 5 I don't think it's worth bothering.

If you didn't like The Shadow Rising or Lord of Chaos, you're probably not going to change your mind with the rest of the series. I can respect wanting to finish the series if you're a completionist, but you're also entering the section in the series where the number of subplots seems to approach infinity and the story slows until they start to resolve. I actually found it a lot less annoying on a reread than I did reading as the books came out, mostly because when I got to the end of the book, I didn't go "That's it, and now I have to wait 2 years for the next one?"

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

It's not out in mass market paperback yet, that's end of May. It's cheaper that the Dec 30 2010 paperback that's up on amazon.co.uk for £9.69. I'd expect the price on the Kindle flavor to drop around May 26 or so.

Has anybody compared the Kindle version to the print version, specifically around the interior art? I've only done the audiobook so far and was looking to see some of the art inside the book people have spoken about...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, being a practicing Mormon kinda cuts down on your downtime options.

He still has cons where he'll play Magic until 3am. Being a Mormon doesn't mean in bed by 8, up writing by 6 or anything.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So I learned something new (to me at least) yesterday listening to Brandon speak at Worldcon. Mistborn was originally marketed to the publishers as a "trilogy of trilogies," so while you have the original trilogy, you have the new one he's writing in the steampunk era age of industry, but he also has plans taking the Mistborn series to the SciFi realm, where the magic system, notable the time dilation power introduced in new book, allows for faster than light travel. All because he was tired of the way in standard epic fantasy the world doesn't change in thousands of years.

I think it was mentioned here earlier that he was talking about a sci-fi book, but still :aaa:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Odette posted:

Oh my god yes.

This guy is an awesome writer.

Hmm. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Loved Snow Crash, liked Zodiac & Diamond Age, but he really went off the deep end of the historical "look how much research I did" novel. I barely made it through Cryptonomicon, and gave up about half way through the first book of the Baroque Cycle.

Maybe I just like my plotlines simpler.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

quote:

We have an exciting announcement today. A novella I wrote—INFINITY BLADE: AWAKENING—has just been released as of this posting, and you can find it on all of the major ebook retailers. I hope you guys enjoy reading it! It's intended as a bridge story between the iPhone/iPad game INFINITY BLADE and the sequel to that game, though I did my best to write it in a way that one does not have to have played the game to understand the story. (Though you should totally play the game. It's heaps of fun.)

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1020/New-novella-INFINITY-BLADE-AWAKENING--Updates

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Affi posted:

I just choose not to believe this. I believe they told the crowds this because that scene in particular got a lot of critisism. LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

I suspect the RJ sections that had been written and not edited when he died may have been less critically edited after, since he wasn't around to agree or disagree with the edits and make his own changes. Trimming/redoing sections RJ wrote would make it less "his" novel.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just got to the chapter A Visit From Verin Sedai in The Gathering Storm. I don't know if Jordan or Sanderson wrote it, but oh my god. Easily one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, and Verin's death and Egwene's last words to her was one of the few moments in this series that really had an emotional effect on me.

And it makes it so much more fun on your next reread to try and catch all the foreshadowing of the reveal and that character's actions.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

It's done. Well, except for the revisions and editing. And Brandon said probably Fall & outrigger novels seem unlikely.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Maytag posted:

Seriously how many people read the last book before it was printed and didn't notice all those errors? Unless she's making nuanced tweaks to the story's flow all the time that we're not even aware of, she has no business being an editor.

And considering RJ's seeming opinion of women, he was probably all, "Sure, wife, you can proofread my book. Aw that's cute."

Lots of people read the book and didn't see the errors. Hell, I read the book and didn't see them. A decent chunk of the fan community leadership were beta-readers and didn't find them (the ones listed in the dedication). The last book was very rushed, and the long edit cycle for this last one is a (possible over) reaction to that.

She's been the WoT editor all along (and did Ender's Game prior to WoT). In fact, that's how they met. Were there lots of errors in the previous books? I don't remember many, but I've already admitted I didn't see them in the latest book, so I'm a poor judge.

Harriet white-knighting in this post. Which reminds me, I should register for Jordancon soon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Kruller posted:

I've now read everything Sanderson has put out, and I need something new to read. I've read the Wheel of Time series twice, and I refuse to read any more GRRM. Any suggestions? I really enjoyed Sanderson's stuff.

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)

It's a trilogy with the first two books out. Not as complex (or dark) as GRRM, but still well crafted epic fantasy. SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Greed posted:

Also the gooniest series ever.

I hope I didn't recommend the series to a non-goon! :ohdear:

Seriously, it's not that bad (although I can see why people would say he has too few flaw). Or maybe I'm just way too goony myself. I don't see Kvothe as any worse than, say, Harry Potter or the like. Like HP, a big draw of the books is discovering the world the author built. There's also an implied flaw in/failure of Kvothe that puts him in the position he's in where you meet him in the first book which is presumably going to crop up eventually (I hope).

Sanderson link: I discovered Rothfuss when I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this past year. He wasn't originally scheduled to be on the panel, but Sanderson pulled out his cell phone to "cast Summon Pat Rothfuss" and it worked.

Oh god, I am that goony. :ohdear: And so is Brandon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, Brandon is loving awesome. Would GRRM have taken the time to fly to Taiwan and knight his fans?

Yes GRRM would have; GRRM likes travelling for cons (except Dragoncon). He just wouldn't have written while doing so.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clinton1011 posted:

He sets writing goals for himself and when he meets them his prize is to open a pack of Magic The Gathering cards.

He is a really big nerd if you haven't realized yet.

And when at cons he sets up Magic tournaments. And plays Magic until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Maybe he just never sleeps....

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

or the legendary evil chicken of doom!

quote:

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

I dug the quote up for the Goodkind discussion in the Audiobook thead, seems appropriate here too.

I tend to keep reading series I start even if they go downhill. Hell, I'm still reading Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. But I had to give up on Sword of Truth after whichever book had the statues so beautiful they converted an entire nation to Objectivism.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Wondering at all the spoilers for a 3 year old book reminded me to remind everyone you can still get the ebook of Way of Kings for $2.99, at least for the Kindle and Nook (likely all others as well). And Tor doesn't DRM their books anymore.

Also, if you pick up the Kindle version http://amzn.com/B003P2WO5E then it looks it's a Whispersync audiobook as well, and if you buy the Kindle version they'll offer you the Audible.com audiobook for $7.99. 45 and a half hours of audio with the same narrators as do the Wheel of Time Audiobooks. And the Whispersync means it'll keep your position constant and you can switch between reading on the kindle and listening on the app and stay in the same place.

(Think it's $7.99 at least; that's what it's offering it to me as, but I already had it in my Audible library. When I'm not logged in to Amazon/Audible, it's $47.95.)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Jorenko posted:

Heh, so did I. I'm up to book 9, and I don't think I'll be done by the time Rithmatist hits. The first two books were good, if pretty formulaic, but three was excellent, and the pressure never lets up after that.

Book 9 & book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) are considered by many to be the weakest of the WoT books, mostly because there are so many characters and subplots and one subplot in particular just goes on and on never seeming to end. But persevere, Book 11 Knife of Dreams is awesome (and the last book by Jordan before you hit Brandon's work).

Think most of us old-time WoT fans are mostly grumpy about those two because we had to wait years between books. Crossroads actually isn't too bad if you just think of it as the first half of Knife of Dreams and can move directly in to it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

navyjack posted:

I just finished the Rithmatist (no spoilers) and I have to say that the 16 year-olds act a lot more like 8-11 year olds. I'm not thinking that YA is going to be Sanderson's wheelhouse, which doesn't make me have a lot of confidence in Steelheart.

Which kinda makes sense since it's aimed at the 5th-7th grade, same as his other YA series, Alcatraz.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not just you. I suspect were Robert Jordan still with us we'd have just finished Book 15 and the plot would have been about two-thirds of the way through The Gathering Storm.

It's also a factor of the series wrapping up and there being fewer subplots rather than more. You see the speed-up start in Knife of Dreams which was written by Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Re Jasnah:

With the epigraph at the beginning of Chapter 8 right after she "died":

I seek not to use my grief as an excuse, but it is an explanation. People act strangely soon after encountering an unexpected loss. Though Jasnah had been away for some time, her loss was unexpected. I, like many, assumed her to be immortal.
—From the journal of Navani Kholin, Jesesach 1174

the "immortal" line had me thinking she wasn't really dead, especially with it being chapter 7. You don't kill major characters in chapter 7 unless you're GRRM. Jasnah coming back made more sense to me than Szeth, but I can even forgive that since he died in chapter 86 and was brought back quickly in chapter 88;
you weren't misled for more than a chapter or two.