Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I don't have any sources handy (I think it's probably buried in his blog somewhere), but I know he's said he's planning on writing two more trilogies. One's going to be with a modern-day equivalent society and one's going to be in a futuristic setting. Allomancy in space is going to be interesting, to say the least.

I've read the same thing. I've found the best place to read for tantalizing tidbits about Sanderson's planned works is here. There are a number of mentions of the future books he has planned in the Mistborn world. Be careful clicking around, though, as there are a ton of spoilers on those forums. Brandon himself posts there occasionally.

EDIT: And I can't wait for TWOK. I picked up Elantris and the Mistborn books when I heard Sanderson was chosen to finish WOT and I absolutely love the well-developed magic systems and well-written action scenes.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Since he calls it a short novel here, this must be the Mistborn short story that he called "likely" in his big blog post on future books. In other words, this will only be a teaser for what we might see in the next Mistborn trilogy. I'm psyched to see how allomantic powers, even weakened ones, will interplay with technological advancements.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 20, 2010

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'd say that's a fair guess, especially since he's been churning out 800-1000 page epics. He may have lost his sense of what a short story actually is.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cartoon Man posted:

Alloy of Law

I'm very excited that we're getting a glimpse of what the future Mistborn trilogies might be like. It's going to be interesting to see how technology interacts with feruchemy/allomancy.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

A Nice Boy posted:

Good. I should have said "thus far."

The only gripe I have with the book/characters so far is her character, and that's mostly because she's supposed to be really witty and funny, but all her "funny" lines in part1book1 come off as forced and not really that clever. It was like Sanderson was trying to write a funny character, and just tried too hard. Maybe she'll get better.

Contrasted to Wit, who comes off quite organically as witty and clever, I almost have to wonder if he's purposefully forcing it with her to show that she thinks she's witty, but she's really not. I haven't read it since release week and my memory is terrible, so I can't say if the book would back this idea up or if it's just legitimately bad characterization.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Haraksha posted:

I found Wit to be equally unfunny and have the same opinion whenever Breeze is trying to prove how clever he is. I chalk it up to Sanderson being a terribly nice person and not actually having any understanding of what sarcasm or wit is.

Just to be more specific on Wit, I felt when he was hurling insults, they were terribly unfunny and often painful to read. When he was pointing out a character's flaws, he was spot on. One requires you to be clever, the other just honest.

I'd agree that his insults weren't clever, but the fact that he was making them fit much better with his character. Shallan trying to be witty at all just seemed forced.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

A Nice Boy posted:

"Young Miss, what is it you intend to do?"
Shallan: "Tend the dew? I think the leaves tend dew quite well without my help, thank you."

Why did you have to remind me of this line? I was much happier with my fantasy that everyone else thought she was dumb. But now that you've reminded me, yes, you're right, everyone else in the story did act like she was clever.

Then again, they are just a bunch of dumb sailors, right?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

A Nice Boy posted:

Haha, that's not actually a line from the book. I made it up. I'll take it as a sign that my criticism of Shallan is spot on, however, in that the line was so believable that you raelly thought it was her. But yeah, I didn't have the book handy and was trying to make up something that sounded like one of her lines.

I didn't have a book handy either, but it did sound exactly like the scene with the sailors, where she makes a retarded pun and they all circlejerk over it.

So, kudos, you are correct, goonsir.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

IRQ posted:

It could just be my perception of them, but they seemed like they were laying it on really thick.

I just re-read it and while it does seem a little thick, there isn't any other indication in the text that they're just humoring her. I think it's just another symptom of Sanderson's trouble with dialogue.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Charlz Guybon posted:

I could totally see myself making that response to that statement. :colbert:

Maybe it's Mormon humor. Are you Mormon? You may want to consult a professional for diagnosis.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

veekie posted:

Or, a Mistborn Feruchemist storing his allomancy and then burning it. Then add duralumin. Fwoosh.

Or allowing anyone access to allomancy or feruchemy? They are storing the power.

Especially since feruchemists now only have access to one power in general instead of all, the ability to store the power of feruchemy/allomancy is probably most useful if you can then pass that stored ability to someone else.

EDIT: This might also give them the ability to recreate mistborn and full feruchemists. By wearing metalminds that have stored investiture.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Huh, just got an email from Amazon about The Emperor's Soul's release date being moved forward by two weeks. Nice!

My copy arrives tomorrow. I had forgotten about it till I saw the shipment email. I'm still amazed by how prolific is he.