Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Wasn't Ruin able to change what was stored in peoples metalminds? Was he able to do that without actually being able to tell what was in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I was just asking because if he could do it that it would seem like Harmony could without going through all the effort others were talking about above.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Warbreaker is good though, read it anyway.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Haha, that man has so many planned books its ridiculous. He has his book order (probably add in a couple novellas here and there) planned out until sometime in 2022...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

So when is the next Cosmere novel coming out? Preferably Mistborn world or Way of Kings world.

White Sands graphic novel is coming soon. 2 Mistborn books got released in the last 5 months or so. Hes currently writing the next Stormlight book which will probably come out early next year.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

bewilderment posted:

The Culture books are good and 100% accessible and readable.

Personal recommended reading order:
1. The Player of Games for a general grounding in what the Culture is like and it's a good opener.
2. Use of Weapons because it's pretty awesome but it helps to know what the Culture is like beforehand.
3. Consider Phlebas because, although it's kind of hit-or-miss...
4. It gives a good context to Look to Windward which is also really great.
And then just read whichever ones look interesting. Excession if you want a book that focuses heavily on ships and minds, Inversions if you want to know what it looks like to be a contacted civilisation, etc.

Actually, while Inversions itself isn't great, it would be pretty handy to give to someone in fantasy to break them into it. Give them Inversions, see them kinda shrug it off, then hand them Player of Games for the :aaa:

Player of Games and Use of Weapons are so good. Excession is wonderful as well. Consider Phlebas is this weird book where I could not stand parts of it but overall I really enjoyed the book and its general theme.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

When I was at those ages, I just read actual books and liked them.

When I was those ages I played video games and didn't care about books that I was not forced to read for school...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

the huffing paint post posted:

I'd guess it's referring to either the Dustbringers, since they were largely mistrusted so were probably pretty secretive in public, or the Lightweavers, since their whole thing is subterfuge. This might also explain how the church is able to soulcast

I think I heard something on the 17th Shard that it could also have been the Stonewards, although I can't remember why.

I kinda doubt it is the Lightweavers as we get plenty of talk with Pattern and I think that would have revealed if there were other Lightweavers that still had bonds.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tunicate posted:

It'll be interesting to see what brandon is churning out forty years from now, when his writing career is a comparable length to asimov's

God... given that hes written something like 20+ books in the first 10 years of being published by that time hes going to have releases like over 100 novels...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

Goodness. At this rate he may actually finish that series. I'm not sure I can process that feeling, given other examples in the industry.

I mean has written like 23 novels and a bunch of novellas in his 11 years of being published... so ya... he will probably finish assuming he doesn't have a horrible accident. He probably is gonna get done with the first 5 stormlight books before GRRM finishes ASoIaF.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

subx posted:

I think people just appreciate that he WANTS to finish his books. He is still excited by them, even after his huge success.

I really hope he never loses that enthusiasm. It's my favorite part of Sanderson.

Ya, its really great to have an author that really enjoys writing, wants to share the stories hes thought up, and really really wants to improve.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Demicol posted:

Speaking of short stories, I really liked Shadows for Silence but I haven't seen anyone really talk about it. I hope that world gets explored more in the future.

Ya I really liked that one as well, the world really captured my interest mostly.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

Hahaha, that update on Dragonsteel.

"Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author."

I literally laughed out loud in my office when I read that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The Gardenator posted:

It is possible that Taravangian could become a radiant since there are some similarities with Lifts experiences. After all, only a small fraction of the radiants have been seen and of that, a lesser amount having a POV with their spren.

I am actually expecting (and rooting for) Szeth to kill Taravangian if they ever meet again.

I would think that the methods Taravangian uses prevent any Honor spren from bonding with him. Would be a nice twist if he somehow bonds with an Odium spren and becomes his champion.

That could be interesting, although he got his ability supposedly from the night watcher, which is generally assumed to be related to cultivation. It would be odd for cultivation to give him his request, which I believe was something along the lines of the ability to save humanity, but have him fall to odium instead, as Odiums express purpose here seems to be to remove all humans from Roshar. I guess I could maybe see it if there is some way that Odium can attain what he wants without killing all the humans, and thus Taravangian allying with him to serve that purpose, but I don't know.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Odium is really more focused against the Shards themselves. He didn't wipe out humanity on Sel, for example--just splintered the shards and left (and breaking Aon-Dor with that chasm).
Which isn't to say the embodiment of divine hatred won't take swipes at humanity or hesitate to wipe them out of it helps distract the local Shards any; they're just far below his radar. The Desolations and the like are something probably forced by Honor, probably his trap to keep Odium imprisoned in the Roshar system.

I agree that its likely that the Desolations are something Odium must resort to because of honors trap, I just kinda assume destorying humanity from Roshar is Odium's solution given the mass destruction and kill rate of the desolations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm super disappointed about that as well. I think Sanderson's even came out and said that FOX doing Marvel's Legion killed any chance of getting those books adapted to TV or film.

He mentioned that they are looking into using an alternative name, but ya that's what he basically said somewhere.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

LolitaSama posted:

So, this post shows up on the first page of google for me when I was researching if I should continue with the Mistborn trilogy.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...is-coming-from/

This dude really rails against the author here. Was wondering if other goons feel this way and if I should just stick to what I know, star wars novels, instead.

Regardless of how you feel about the first books (I enjoyed them personally but they are far from Literature) the main thing about Sanderson is that he writes constantly, comes out with multiple book a year unless hes writing a Stormlight book, and most importantly he is constantly improving.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Just finished Way of Kings.

The only things of Sanderson I'd read before was the Mistborn Trilogy, and there's definite increase in quality, he's better, if not perfect, about defining characters now (Kaladin and Dalinari in particular do stoic badass in different but equally excellent ways).

He just keeps getting better. Words of Radiance is even better than Way of Kings.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Bummer. I thought it was the first trilogy and then I'm free to read it. I've been holding back as is, but 2 more books to go isn't bad I guess.

You can read Everything in AU without really worrying except Secret History (until you are caught up on mistborn era 2), and Edge Dancer (until you finish Words Of Radiance). I think everything else is short stories, although maybe one happens during the avalanche at the end of Elantris...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

WOT is great until you hit the point where he stops being able to wrap up plots in a single book. Then you get stuck with annoying stuff like one group of people hanging out in the same town doing the same thing for like 3 books and its gets horribly grating. The last Jordan book and the 3 Sanderson ones finish it well though, so its really a question if you can survive books 7-10. You will probably start noticing the issues in 7, bear it in 8, and then just hate books 9 and 10... I got stuck on book 9 for like a year or two...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Rumda posted:

Not in any good way.
Every thing about book 10 is awful.

Agreed. That book is everyone sitting around thinking about doing stuff and never getting around to actually doing it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Problematic Pigeon posted:

That's the one. It's basically a novel-length prologue to book 11. It ends just when things start threatening to maybe actually happen soon.

Ya, my memory of it was the book was supposed to be about people making big decisions, but all those decisions boiled down to getting off their asses for the next book.

Edit: Note that after reading book 10 book 11 looks really really good in comparison.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said that Windrunners in particular have lots of squires.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/29/oathbringer-brandon-sanderson-chapter-1-3/

Chapters 1-3 are up of Oathbringer.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

That was a good set of chapters, but boy did that chapter 6 end make me wish I could keep reading...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: I'm not sure that Kaladin knows what an "oath" is.

I'm guessing that punching a dude but not actually threatening his life is probably fine...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I'm kinda thinking that if Roshone is truly changed hes gonna laugh this off and say, okay, I deserved that, and everything will be fine without Kaladin pulling Syl out.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Since Kaladin's previous moral trial was to protect someone he hates, I'm betting next will be protecting an enemy (so long as it is right). I'm guessing Kaladin will need to defend some innocent parshmen against a pogrom. Even better if the mob is full of hometown people he just reconciled himself with.

I kinda assume somewhere along the line Kaladin is going to lead the towns folk to Kholinar and meet up with Jasnah there so that we have groups of main characters and have them interacting together.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

CoolHandMat posted:

someone will have to pick up the 3rd shard in this universe, if the Almighty truly is dead

Odium presumably shattered the shard. Odium at least thinks this means no one should be able to pick up the shard.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

insider posted:

Dalinar

It seems obvious to me that Dalinar will recombine the splinters of Honor and be able to take up the shard himself, but since he called himself Unity I think he is going to end up taking up both the Honor and Cultivation shards and pull a Sazed (and this seems to be Cultivations plan). I think its also possible Unity would be Honor + Cultivation + Odium (after they kill him and recombine his splinters) as that would be basically the Triforce. That's book 10 stuff though. I think Dalinar will become Honor by the end of this 5 book set at the very least.

I think Dalinar becoming Unity is him already pulling in aspects of each of the 3 Shards of Roshar. All 3 have invested in him (Odium's attention trying to make him be held by the Thrill), being a bondsmith, and Cultivations boon. He seems to have gathered more of Honor currently and I would guess he is somewhere along the way to becoming like honor, but probably needs to find the Sibling that gets talked about a lot first.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

spootime posted:

I agree with you guys on the previous page - I sure do hope there's a different reason for the recreance. I don't buy the whole ancestors committing a crime thing as a valid reason to essentially kill your bonded life partner. Hopefully he has a better reason or I'm going to be massively disappointed.

I think they touched on that. As part of finding out that they were actually the invaders they also found out that humans came to the planet because surgebinding had destroyed their previous planet. Normally when the Knights found this stuff out (apparently this was a regular thing) Honor was around and would tell them things like, hey, don't worry about what your ancestors did or did not do, and don't worry you are not going to blow up this planet things are better now (powers maybe more limited than they were in the past? Kinda like the changes Harmony made after he fixed the planet - no more Mistborns showing up). Instead this time Honor was dieing and going a little insane and started telling them that yes, they would destroy this planet to. That batch of knights took this disillusionment of their past righteousness and saw the supposed threat they posed to the world and decided the honorable thing for them to do, and the best thing for the world, was to break their bonds and kill their spren. The Stormfather even comes to realize during the book that the Lost Radients might have been misguided but they were working with bad information and actually did the honorable thing, even if it hurt.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Am I seeing this right that there's pretty much nothing coming out in 2018?

Nothing Cosmre at least. His new YA series Skyward is gonna come out in November and he has another Legion Novella sometimes this year as well. Hes working on some secret Novella which I assume might make it out this year as well. Next year we should get the last Wax and Wayne Book though.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

I hope he takes his time with the next Stormlight book. Oathbringer felt rushed.

I'm guessing hes going to try to work more time into his schedule for future Stormlight books. Prior to Oathbringer he was trying to write each one in a year, but Oathbringer went slowly and took a lot longer than that, and I think he still felt like it probably could have used more time.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Books 7-11 can have pacing issues. I still like even the chapters where no big things happen as an insight into the characters, but opinions vary wildly. If you find them boring but still want to find out how the story ends, looking up summaries is a good way imho.

Ya, books 7-11 have issues where Robert Jordan stopped being able to finish all his plot arcs in a single book, so you end up with some characters doing the same thing for like 2-3 books... Book 10 was just bad. Luckily its all uphill after that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Your criticisms of the characters are valid. Jordan was not great at writing women. Some get better. Others get much, much worse.

Ya, Jordan was not great at writing women (I would say he was pretty bad at it...). It was, however, a step in the right direction by actually having their be women main characters that were very important for a variety of reasons. I think the only female character I genuinely liked without reservation in the series was Verin.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

One of the more broken twin born combos would be double Chromium. Allomancy Chromium lets you destroy other allomacers metals by touch, which is meh, but the Feruchemy allows you to store luck. With compounding you could build a luck engine that allows you to store absurd amounts of luck to the point where if anything started happening you would throw your luck to million and everything would just work out randomly.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I honestly don't know if 11 was really good or just so much better than books 7-10 then it felt that way but ya.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I tried to read the first Malazan book. It felt like they were intentionally not explaining anything to try to make it mysterious, but it just made me have no idea what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's how I felt, and that's how the entire rest of the series is. At no point will there ever be any reader-friendly exposition. I kept thinking it would eventually click if I kept going, which is why I managed to read 9 books of a series and do not have the ability to explain anything about the plot. I can remember a few tidbits, like "there are raptors with sword arms", but I don't remember why or how that was important to the plot.

Like, I can get not wanting to have exposition on things, whatever, but if you are gonna do that I at least need a glossary to have some idea what in the hell they are talking about.