Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

So I liked the Mistborn Trilogy and Alloy of Law. Still haven't read his WoT books because I've only read the first three (and I dread reading the ones after that based on what people have told me). So the Stormlight Archives series is pretty good though? I wasn't a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing is the only thing and the OP claims that it's comparable to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

All right, I guess I'll get on the WoT books after all. I do enjoy his writing so I would hate to miss out on any of his books.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

All right, after months of trying to read some other stuff like Pratchett and more WoT, I got back onto reading other Sanderson books and started Way of Kings today.

Can, I just say this poo poo loving owns? I read it non-stop for a good four hours today and I can already tell whatever flaws I felt were prevalent in Mistborn, he really cleaned up with this book. True, characterization and dialogue is still not very strong, but it still feels like a great improvement over Mistborn's. (Not that Mistborn is totally bad with characterization. Dialogue is another issue.)

Either that, or I'm just really excited to finally read about a new fantasy world and I'm blinded to its flaws in dialogue and characterization. I like Kaladin as a character so far, though.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Cartoon Man posted:

Have you figured out yet that all the books/worlds are tied together in a way that does not suck?

Not quite yet. This and the Mistborn series are the only books of Sanderson's I've read. They do both have interesting magic systems and are set in worlds that have horrible poo poo happen a lot. That's about all I can see though. If I keep reading, I'll probably find it.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

mystes posted:

Actually, it does suck. The very idea of them being a a shared universe (or whatever it is) makes Sanderson seem 10 times goonier.

I don't think that's entirely true in my own opinion. I enjoy a lot of stuff that has shared universes, but hey, that's just my own piece.

And hell, at least they're all on different planets unlike Marvel and DC comics where you have the X-men who are persecuted for being superheroes and then you got loving Spiderman who is loved for being a superhero and other poo poo like that. I mean at least with Sanderson books, the worlds are all separate and the magic systems are unique enough that I wouldn't have been able to outright guess any of this stuff unless I went online and looked it up.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

mystes posted:

I enjoyed The Way of Kings a lot, but I really hope the series doesn't follow the same trend as the Mistborn trilogy, or by the end it will be about as exciting as the rulebook for a roleplaying game.

I think I actually mentioned this once how magic in Mistborn felt like it was a giant game guide explanation. At the same time, I really enjoy his magic systems and find them very intriguing even if he does tend to focus too much on them. Way of Kings definitely reads less like the whole game guide poo poo that bogged Mistborn down and since that was written a few years after Mistborn series, I think he's starting to take the hint that yes, he shouldn't make the magic THE focal point. Maybe A focal point, but not THE focal point.

All in all, he's definitely improving in my opinion. Probably all uphill from here, but I like to be optimistic.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

I didn't mean to imply he's gone over-the-top. Maybe that's just how it came out. His magic systems are way cool, I'm just not used to reading books with intricate magic systems like his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Above Our Own posted:

Brandon Sanderson has an awful sense of humor, and what's worse is that he doesn't seem to think so.

At least you didn't have to grow up in Utah like me where that type of humor is considered to be standard.

People here try way too hard to tell jokes without using foul language or "toilet humor" as it's called. That's not necessarily a bad thing but you better be damned sure you have a sharp tongue if you're going to tell one.