Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Just finished this. It was pretty good except the chapters were a little... uh, too varied.

Reading Kaladin chapters was like reading Raoden in Elantris.

Shallan and Jasnah were the two princesses from Warbreaker.

Dalinar is sort of Mistborn.

They didn't really seem particularly cohesive.

I also question how he can stretch this for ten novels, as the first novel felt a little stretched.

But, yeah, pretty good.

Irritated by the hamfisted references to yellow, purple, orange, blue, and red, though. He sort of keeps shoving those down your throat.

I can only assume that the heralds are a magical rainbow.

Also, spren: same thing as atium/larasium, yes/no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

arioch posted:

Er, well, I don't remember larasium as being the container for the power of one of the Adonalsium Shards, but yes, I think the spren are roughly equivalent to atium.

The Section 2 "bumper" text seem to be the text of a letter sent from Hoid to some other person, who sent agents (seen in one of the "asides" chapters) to hunt Hoid down for some reason or other. But in this letter Hoid apparently names the other people (who are at least somewhat like him and this other unnamed person, the "old reptile" who's for "nonintervention") who hold (or are?) one of the Shards of Adonalsium, Ati was mentioned who is obviously Ruin/atium, Aona is obviously behind the AonDor powers (Elantris, ChayShin, Dakhor), Skai is probably the Seons, and Rayse is probably Odium.

Skai is on the Elantris-world too, actually.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

arioch posted:

I guessed that Skai had something to do with the Seons (if I remembered that name right) which are the energy spirit familiars in Elantris, Sel is the name of the world. Brandon hasn't quite answered that question for me, he probably hopes to leave that for a potential Elantris sequel.

Oh, right. I'm sorry--it's been so long I completely forgot about what seons are.

Also, I feel like the first novel laid too many cards on the table. I should have more faith in Sanderson's writing ability by now, but it seems like too many plot threads have already been revealed to continue the series for another nine novels.

I suspect nearly all of them are wrong.

Also re: Elkohar and Shallan, any clues as the motivation of those spren? Are they spren related to soulcasting? That would seem to be the obvious answer, but I wonder if there's a curveball coming in regards to that.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

So what are the chances of Kaladin eventually absorbing all the Stormlight and becoming a replacement shard god to fight Odium?

I'm thinking 80%.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

In regards to future Mistborn novels (recurring character spoilers?) Sanderson has suggested that Sazed will go insane from having two conflicting shard influences and become evil.