Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
About 40% through WOR, liking it but is Brandon actively trolling with his 'tempest' use now? One page even had tempest 3 times on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Shakugan posted:

Noticing when authors overuse a particular word is awful, because you'll never not notice it from then on. I went on a LE Modesitt Jr (the imager series in particular) binge a few months back and noticed he used the word "sardonically" practically every page. It's possible they use a word so much that it really distracts the reader and brings them out of the book.

I always wonder why their editors don't point out to them how they are overusing something. It's particularly bad when the word isn't really used in everyday language (tempest is a fairly common word, but I'd never heard someone use the term sardonic before Modesitt).

Brandon even admitted he realized he used it too much back when WOT readers were busting his rear end for it, so I'm surprised to still see it so much.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
What really bothers me about Sanderson's writing (Besides his horrible character/place naming and humor) is he never adds things that would give a bit of weight to a scene. When Kaladin and Shallan had to survive in the chasm, half the text was his stupid loving dad humor. Why not be serious and add some gravity to the situation?

We're two 1,000ish page books in, does anyone give a poo poo about any of the characters? Kaladin is a whiny jackass most of the book, he's a carbon copy of BS's Perrin in Wheel of Time. If the whole world blew up in the beginning of book 3 would anyone care?

Also how many times can you call a storm a tempest before your editor grows the balls to tell you to pick up a thesaurus?

e: He's a good YA author, but if you're expecting Malazan/WOT/GRRM level fantasy I'd lower expectations.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 12, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
"Oh no we're lost in plateau valleys and a storm is about to drown us at any minute, better pull out pages of stupid rear end puns instead of show the gravity of the situation*!"
*apply to almost any serious situation in the books.

I can't wait for next book where the Shadesmar is going to blow up but first Syl and Pattern need to fit in a witty pun or two, haha!

Kaladin: Hey Syl, What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
Syl: Nacho Cheese.
Everyone: Hahahah, oh you!

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 13, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Fellwenner posted:

I guess you have a point to a certain degree, but how much fun would that be? Do you really want to read fantasy version of The Road?

I'm looking for some seriousness from a 10 book epic series. If it was labelled Young Adult I wouldn't have minded. I'll still read his books, cause he's really good, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying he's a bad writer. He's just a corny writer.

His short stories are great. Having to read 1,200 pages of mormon dad humor is TORTURE. Every dialog that starts you just know, "Here we go, okay we're going into the den of death, lets pull out a pun.".

e:

"Hello, My name is Mraize, you sure are strange, I have a question."
What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?"

Shallan quickly says, "Anyone can roast beef.".

Mraize the assassin king is stunned, "Mein gott".

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
All random quotes:

“Why hasn't anyone killed him yet?”
“Dumb luck,” Wit said. “In that I’m lucky you’re all so dumb.”

--

“I ain't grouchy,” Teft snapped. “I just have a low threshold for stupidity.”

--

“I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.”

--

Warbreaker spoilers
“Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

I mean we're all adults here, we can roll our eyes at this. I'm not on some brigade against Brandon.. cause he finished WOT and he is a good writer, very good. But holy poo poo his faults are not getting better. I'm not even bringing up his character naming. I've found I completely lose myself (in a good way) in Brandon's writing until either a name comes up or dialog comes up.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 13, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

That last quote is a pretty massive spoiler. It's the sword from Warbreaker, and for anyone who read it, that's a massive holy gently caress moment. Please spoiler it.

Oh, really? I never read Warbreaker my bad, fixed.

Though that makes me realize the whole Cosmere thing is going to be a loving nightmare for spoilers.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

api call girl posted:

Like, have you considered maybe that's a personal problem of yours rather than some failure of his?

No because it's literally his biggest criticism. He even admits he's horrible at making up names, I can look it up if you want but yeah he admits it.

I only know this because I followed him through his making of the last 3 Wheel of Time books.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

api call girl posted:

Fantasy naming has an incredibly low bar. And you're saying for you he doesn't even clear that.

No I'm saying he himself has said he doesn't clear that.

e: And I know anyone can call bullshit, which is fair, it's in http://www.theoryland.com/wheel-of-time-interview-search.php somewhere.

e2: Oh poo poo I didn't realize this quote site had more than one page.

quote:

“How . . .” Dalinar said. “You fell into a chasm!”
“I fell face-first, sir,” Kaladin said, “and fortunately, I’m particularly hard-headed.”

quote:

“You have quite the clever tongue on you!”
“I’ve never actually had someone’s tongue on me,” Shallan said, turning a page and not looking up, “clever or not. I’d hazard to consider it an unpleasant experience.”
“It ain’t so bad,” Gaz said.”

quote:

“We actually killed the thing.”
“Sad, I know,” she said, feeling depressed. “It was beautiful.”
“It would be more beautiful if it hadn't tried to eat me.”
“From my perspective,” Shallan noted, “it didn't try, it succeeded.”
“Nonsense,” Kaladin said. “It didn't manage to swallow me. Doesn't count.”

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/16482835-words-of-radiance

Okay sorry I'm done, tl;dr like his stories hate his dialogue/humor. Honestly can't wait for more short stories cause I think those are his strengths.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 13, 2014

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

redreader posted:

I just finished the stormlight archives. I find the amount of resurrection bullshit and I totally expected what happened to Kaladin at the end although I really hoped he'd just stay as an unpowered 'could have had it all, but you had to gently caress it up' guy, I knew he'd get his spren back and at least went for the hope that he would hate himself once he became a lighteyes, and yep at least he hates himself now. He's just a little too much of a gary stu to me. Also the bit where the other people who are dead get resurrected. Really? really? ok, so if anyone dies in the future I won't be worried. Clearly sadeas is coming back from the dead later. It just reads a little too much like... well-written fanfic.

Sanderson is pretty fan-fic. It sucks but us fantasy nerds need something right? He's not bad but his stories read of a teenager writing the same. His writing is just so.. immature? Maybe it's him being a mormon, I dunno.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Democratic Pirate posted:

It never once crossed my mind that Eshonai died because Kaladin and Shallan both survived a fall from roughly the same height with a small amount of stormlight but no magic stormlight armor.

It also crossed my mind that Sanderson is the Jimmy Fallon of fantasy. He cornered the market on being earnest and positive about things instead of going the GRRM cynical route.

No, he got loving lucky that a legend died and Jordan's wife picked him to finish WOT.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Was it the 2nd chapter in Words of Radiance where Jasnah and.. Shallan? basically have a tutorial guide about their powers and how to work them? That was boring as poo poo. He's way too much of a "Okay you do this, then you do this, then this, and this, and here's the explanations." writer.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Xachariah posted:

Gotta agree with this guy. It's exhausting the amount of times the opposing topics are brought up in both threads.

Sanderson's magic system is over-explained and formulaic, yep, yep, been brought up every other page for 145 pages over the last 4 years (and in the Mistborn thread before for a few hundred pages). Yep, Erikson's books under-explain and seem to start halfway through the story and it can be confusing. Both of these things are true... So? If you don't like Sanderson's books try out Erikson's, if you don't like Erikson's try out Sanderson's, if you don't like either try out some other books. :shrug:

This is a discussion forum and no one cares if you find it exhausting.

:shrug:

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Yarrbossa posted:

Just finished the 4th Alcatraz book thinking it was the last one. I realized about halfway through that there was no way it was going to wrap up that quickly and found out he doesn't even have plans to write it until they figure out what's going on with the movie adaptation. Goddamnit I need to know what happens!

All in all, for a series written for kids it's pretty entertaining. I actually laughed out loud when he made a reference to the whole "who killed Asmodean (from Wheel of Time)" thing. I'm totally picking these up for my little brother.

Can you elaborate? In spoilers if you need to, I always loved the who killed Asmodean theories and debates that went on forrrreeeverrrr.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Yarrbossa posted:

Sure. The spoilers are the big reveal of book 1 and a minor bit from book 3. In Alcatraz vs the Shattered Lens (book 4), he's discussing his mother and talking about how evil she is, and at one point he mentions that she was the person who killed Asmodean. The actual quote is "I hadn't forgotten how my mother'd given Himalaya up to be executed, nor how she'd sold me her own son to Blackburn, the one-eyed Oculator. Or how she killed Asmodean".

It wasn't even funny on it's own, but I really enjoyed all the shout-outs Brandon has been giving his other books/other authors books.

Haha so he literally said his name and everything? That's great. I love Sanderson and I'll be forever grateful for him finishing Wheel of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
I would say I agree, but my favorite series Wheel of Time used swears such as "Blood and Bloody Ashes" etc which I love.

I would basically consider all of Sanderson's works as Young Adult. He's a hardcore mormon, it's just who he is.

Honestly if you want some real poo poo, read Malazan.