Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

A Nice Boy posted:

I completely agree on basically all points, although I don't think it bothers me overall as much. I think he's very good at worldbuilding, and his plots are interesting enough to make the books worth reading, but they're nowhere close to the level of the genre greats who're working right now, like Abercrombie/Erikson/Martin. In ten years, I'll be rereading the Malazans or A Song of Ice and Fire, but I doubt I'll ever reread Mistborn.

And I was kidding about liking you better before. :)

I wonder if writing the epic Stormlight Archives will give him time to develop his character writing skills? I really enjoyed the first one (even though it was insanely long) and am interested in seeing where it all goes, and maybe writing such a long series will give him a chance to build on the skills he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

He's got a Warbreaker sequel planned

Awesome, because it is actually my favorite. I really liked it, but felt like it was somehow incomplete and wanted to know more about the magic system and the world so a Warbreaker sequel is the best news I've had all day.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

The next book is tentatively titled Nightblood so your in luck.

Amazing. I'd be down for a prequel, honestly. Although if it's a side project we might not see it for a long time.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

A Nice Boy posted:

I think it's that his stuff is pretty accessible, is highly readable, and is fantasy. That's about it. I don't think anyone is going to say that his stuff is as nuanced or well written as GRRM's or Erikson's or Abercrombie's. He's not on their level, in my opinion. But being a step below the greats is still a pretty good place to be, right? His stuff is still great to read, he writes a ton, and it's way better than the "safe" poo poo that authors like Eddings/Feist write.

The level of accessibility in his novels helped hook me into fantasy, and allowed me to get more into Abercrombie and Glenn Cook's work than I think I would have been before reading Sanderson.

The YA comparison is pretty spot-on, actually.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

That is pretty much the most awesome thing I have ever heard. If he writes a book that combines all the worlds into one I will be first in line to buy it.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

IRQ posted:

Yes. His books all have that character. His books all share a LOT of very, very similar characters.

You can either accept it or hate it. Honestly I think his writing is fun and light enough that I don't care. I will again point to my assertion that Sanderson really is writing books that are very close to YA.

I accept it and think your assertion about his work being almost YA is spot on. I also happen to like sassy princesses, so even though it is a common thread throughout his books I count it among the reasons why I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

What I usually tell people is that while you shouldn't read Elantris first (because it's noticeably rougher than anything else he's published), it's worth a go after you've gotten used to his writing style. And Warbreaker is just fantastic.

I loved Warbreaker, although I would agree with wellwhoopdedoo that it has more of Sanderson's cringe-worthy 'wit' than other books of his. Still, it sometimes seems like the LEAST popular Sanderson novel amongst goons and I never really understood why. I can't wait for him to return to the world.

Everything I read about Sanderson makes me think, 'drat, what a cool guy.' Every time I check out this thread there's something else posted that blows me away with how down-to-earth yet ridiculously productive he is.