Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Downloaded, read, and enjoyed the hell out of TWOK while on vacation. For some reason I assumed that he already had the second one out and I was late getting into the series. I was pretty disappointed when I found out there's that much of a wait for the next one. Thank God Sanderson is a beast at writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

I felt the same way, but looking back it all paid off really well. I've only read WOK and his WOT books so I have no original basis of comparison, but everything pretty much has a purpose and payoff, enough of which are in this book to make it not feel like 100% world building slog.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thinking about it, the best way I can praise Sanderson's tWOK is by saying I almost want him to finish the second book before A Memory of Light. Like 60/40 divided on it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I'm interested to see where it goes, but I'm far more eager to close out the WoT, it's been such a long time coming.
Yeah it's been a long-awaited payoff for WoT, but now I know I'll have a new book series to look forward to once it's (finally) over.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I read ToM in one day, even though I stayed up way too late doing so. My train of thought was "okay once I get two boring chapters in a row I'll stop."

Then I hit the chapters that were a line of :clint::hellyeah::black101::rock: and couldn't put it down.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.
I need to give this man more of my money.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Re: Sanderson's Anime/Movie writing.

While I love the WoT One Power fighting scenes in books, they don't quite translate over in my head as well as most of the fighting in TWoK did. It is a lot easier for me to imagine a group of screenwriters being able to make a dude running around on walls, giant suits of armor with power swords that can kill 3+ people in one swing, and a guy running around on walls stabbing people with a spear + possibly flying eventually look way better in a live action movie than people concentrating while weaving threads that end up exploding.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jorenko posted:

I actually think that if Sanderson's books were to be adapted into visual media, an animated series would probably be the best choice -- they're not quite grey and sexy enough to get the HBO treatment, like ASOIAF. They're a bit too complex for movies. And they'd be way too expensive to film for any network to do them live-action. An animated series with a target age range of, say, 15-20 seems to be just about the right thing. For Mistborn in particular, giving each book a 13 episode season should work quite well. Unfortunately, though, those types of shows are much less common in America than elsewhere (Japan, for instance.

Take the team behind Avatar: The Last Airbender and give them control over some of Sanderson's stuff. I would watch the poo poo out of this.

Edit: By your avatar I take it you would agree with me..

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My friend and I had the same reaction to WoK: we thought it was interesting and would read a few chapters before putting it down. Suddenly, we both hit points around halfway through the book and couldn't put the book down until we finished it at like 3am. This was also on Kindle so it made it a bit more difficult to flip around to review parts of a characters storyline though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm about to study abroad in Europe for a month, and the trip involves a bunch times where I'll be sitting around for a few hours, such as the plane ride over and bus rides between cities. Should I go ahead and download (kindle user) the Mistborn books? I already blew through WoK earlier in the year and really enjoyed it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dammit, just started on Hero of Ages and, being on a school trip and incredibly busy, have no time to read it outside of bus trips. I can sense the Sanderson Avalanche coming though. Mistborn owns.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy.

:aaaaa:

I'm so glad Sanderson writes at a ridiculous speed. I need more books.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Assuming Harmony is Sazed, I really like how one of the main tenets of his religion is "don't waste time worshipping me."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No Brandon, don't describe the dresses. It's a gateway drug. Next they'll be smoothing them. Then braiding their hair.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Affi posted:

He also shouldn't describe environments or how people look either because you are a retard.

Totally bro.

What I really want from this book, but I'm not sure we'll get, is a (spoiler from Mistborn trilogy) Sazed point of view. I want to know what all he's been while he's been Harmony for 300 years. And if Marsh is still around, why can't/won't Sazed control him?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

He'll find a way to finish the series before he's 40. Mormons must have a time machine or something.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like Sanderson for all of the reasons mentioned above, and the fact that he's working on fixing his Sanderson Avalanche problem.

But I want it to come back as THE Sanderson Avalanche that encompasses all of the book series he wrote in his giant Cosmere thing. I want a huge book full of ":psyduck: How did I not see that?!" moments.

It probably won't happen that way, but there's hope.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I honestly like the Sanderson Avalanche, I just hate when I hit it at 11pm at night and then can't put the book down until I finish it.

I also really liked the Spren one-off guy. I want to see more of him in the series.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

arioch posted:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/08/the-alloy-of-law-chapter-five

Alloy of Law, Chapter Five

Things get real.

Dammit, why do I let myself read these chapters. I want more now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/j5spj/if_you_were_transported_into_the_world_of_a_book/c29gmic?context=1

This is why people like Sanderson.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm just excited that he, even at a fairly slow pace for him, can pump out 1 good-great long book every year or two and another good-great short book in between.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What the hell, forgot about this release day. Time to get my kindle back to work and order this.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

gently caress I need to get on this book, I can't stand black bars if Sanderson's work is involved. Officially avoiding this thread until I read the book myself.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

^^ Yeah, I'm thinking Hoid is the one who wrote all the analysis at the end of the book as well

I really liked this book, I'm hoping this was just a taste and there will be another huge trilogy involving this plot /time in the future. I loved references to all of the events in the Mistborn trilogy as well. I wonder if Sazed and Marsh talk a good amount, just to keep Sazed entertained.. Also, who was the Sliver supposed to be?

I'm really hoping for Sanderson to include a giant explanation that captures some key points about all of the worlds, just enough for everyone to have a good grasp of what is going on. Also for Vin/Elend to come back as Mistborn somehow

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ah thanks, that completely slipped my mind just now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

So I just finished book 1 of Mistborn, and can't for the life of me push myself into book 2. Kelsier just left such a giant void in the story for me.

Should I just grit my teeth and get through it? Does it pick up to the same level of awesome?

Yes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I actually picked up on the whole shardblade thing right away, but I guess didn't pay it any attention because I never saw an area of the plot where it would have been that useful. I'm sure we'll be seeing it in the next book or two though.

Or tenth, knowing Sanderson.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sanderson owns because people are all like "drat the Stormlight Archives will be ~10 huge books? That's a big series" and he pulls out the "yeah but since all my books are in the same cosmere it's more like a 20 book series."

that he'll write in the next 5 years because goddamn

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

It also feels like he knew where the ending was going and foreshadows a LOT of it really blatantly. It just becomes frustrating as a reader to basically know the broad strokes of what is going to happen, but be put through a lengthy process of it spooling out.
For example, it becomes clear what Kaladin's whole business is fairly early on, and even though the abilities we know he's going to possess have been demonstrated REPEATEDLY, including in the prologue even, we still have to sit through a rather dry exposition of him discovering them. Really, Kaladin's entire plotline is trite and kind of on rails.
To me, this is why Shallan's plotline reveals were more interesting, since they were nowhere near as telegraphed and not as formulaic.

I agree with the on rails thing, but I liked Kaladin's story because when he did do his final "power up," it was satisfying and :black101: :rock: :black101: as gently caress. In my opinion, at least.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shallan was my least favorite of all the POV characters in WoK, but she started building positive momentum once the Sanderson Avalanche started. I think her story has the potential to go to some interesting places.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just re read the first Mistborn book and holy poo poo is there foreshadowing everywhere. I don't know how I didn't catch some of this stuff.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Maytag posted:

That said I really respect what he's doing and his dedication and I think he deserves our support and our money. Just lose the hard on guys, he has a long way to come as an author.
I'll keep my hard on thank you. I like Sanderson for his dedication and enthusiasm and insane work ethic. He pumps out books like no tomorrow and has shown clear improvement, even if he isn't the best at character writing. His world building is very solid and makes up for most of the qualms I have with his awkward humor writing and dialogues.

He can definitely still improve his writing, but that doesn't stop him from being one of my favorite current authors.

Of course, this opinion is coming from a guy who put down Game of Thrones after getting a few chapters into the second book because I don't have enough time to invest in a slow burn series with more politics and characters.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I get more and more excited every time I read more about Sanderson's whole Cosmere thing. This quote:

quote:

Adonalsium was something or someone else. You will find out more. There are clues in Warbreaker and The Way of Kings."
made me want to get my books out and start clue hunting.

Also, this whole answer (MISTBORN SPOILERS)

quote:

Well, here's the thing. What Sazed is right now is something of a god in the classic Greek sense--a superpowered human being, elevated to a new stage of existence. Not GOD of all time and space. In a like manner, there are things that Sazed does not have power over. For instance, he couldn't bring Vin and Elend back.

Where Tindwyl exists is beyond space and time, in a place Sazed hasn't learned to touch yet. He might yet. If you want to add in your heads him working through that, feel free. But as it stands at the end of the book, he isn't yet with Tindwyl. (He is, however, with Kelsier--who refused to "Go toward the light" so to speak, and has been hanging around making trouble ever since he died. You can find hints of him in MB3 at the right moments.
is just..goddamn it Sanderson.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'll disagree and say I liked the original trilogy more than Alloy of Law. I marathoned the trilogy, so my brain went into "skim until an awesome part shows up :downs:" mode that set my initial memories of the books to Awesome. I really enjoyed Alloy of Law as well, and I hope we get more stories from that time period before shooting up in time again.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Legion is awesome, this is the second one-off (for now) book of his that I want him to continue. Just devoured the book in 30 minutes on my kindle.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Dammit, you guys are really making me want to stop my Dresden re-read halfway through Proven Guilty to read this :argh:

Do a Sanderson with reading instead of writing. When taking a break from reading a book, read a shorter book!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is The Emperor's Soul worth buying? Just took a work break and checked out his site and Sanderson said he thinks it might be his best writing yet which has me intrigued.

Basically, do I get it now or later?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

They just un-spiked themselves and were still safely within the Homeland caves when the sun came up. It was intended to be a suicidal action (at the very least, robbing them of their sentience and returning to being simple mistwraiths), but Ol' Ironeyes could have easily fixed them up again, now that he has a direct line to Harmony.

Imagine how annoyed Sazed could make Marsh, with him being the only one who knows who Harmony was before he got his powers. He could spend centuries going "Hey Marsh, lets have a philosophy battle, but I already know all the answers"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are his novellas connected to his overworld? Because the Imperial Fool is totally Hoid

Just starting the Emperor's Soul ebook so I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I reread the entire Mistborn trilogy a few weeks ago and accidentally mistimed my reading speed. I hit the last part of the third book, the giant Sanderson Avalanche, around 10pm. You don't sleep until you ride out the Avalanche.

I was very unproductive at work the next day.