Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
If atium was the body of ati (ruin) and larasium was the body of laras (preservation) would those both even grow anymore? Wouldn't sazed have his own body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ShadowGlass posted:

Just out:

Deleted Interlude from Words of Radiance

It offers some amazing insight into a minor (but important) character. It contains significant spoilers for an early Shallan scene in Words of Radiance, so only read if you've at least finished Part 1!

I love the idea that shallan caused a stick to have a major identity crisis and expect that interlude to appear in any future editions, in the last block of interludes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

api call girl posted:

On the other hand, he only starts absorbing Stormlight when he's around Elhokar.

Maybe squires need loyalty to two knights? or orders?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

Where did people come up with the idea that teleporting has anything to do with Shadesmar? I don't believe we've gotten anything that shows that.

Because in the last chapter wit says

quote:

"you've been making quite a disturbance on the other side," Wit said, "It's been a long time since the spren had to deal with someone alive, particularly someone so demanding as yourself."

I'd guess that you can only teleport to Shadesmar if you're a soulcaster as well

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

Right, and all the names I chose are pretty traditional Christian names. I didn't go into Li or Abdul or Mtembe or Miyamoto territory.

One of the problems is that he tends to give people one word names and a last name if they're related to other people. Think about Taravingian, is that a first name or a last name? Is it supposed to be Vorin? Or the Kholin family, how is it that a large and powerful noble family like that has two branches (Dalinar and Gavilar->Elhokar)? What was Kaladain's last name? Even if he was a commoner he'd likely have something about his parent's profession unless every single person has a different first name (as it appears they do, Sanderson doesn't seem to repeat names often).

Lots of cultures didn't do the last name thing though. Kaladin might have been just "Kaladin son of Lirin" officially, while not having a last name. The only last names we see are house names and that might be intentional.

Hell, Kaladin has a proper last name now too, it's Stormblessed.

Edit:vvvv that's not even szeth's last name! He takes it to avoid shaming his father, traditionally it would be Szeth Son <DAD'S NAME>:eng101:

egg tats fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 14, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Wait wait wait, literally anyone thinks that we were supposed to think that Eshonai was supposed to have died? Was this your first book or something? I'm pretty sure there are laws against killing off a major villain with severe turnabout potential, before examining them in any real way, let alone one in literal magic power armor.

Edit: also I just reread warbreaker with the annotations (they're baked into the Kindle edition now!) and you all were right:Lightsong is the best character!

egg tats fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 26, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So I just thought of the most :Sanderson: possible scene, do we know what happens to a spren when the parshendi merge with them?

I'm imagining a point in one of the later books, where Kaladin is separated from syl somehow, and shen takes on honorform with syl to mount a rescue mission :black101:

egg tats fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 27, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I think it's spook, actually. The writing style doesn't sound like Marsh

I just got the feeling that Marsh is just a really bad writer. Or he has severe social anxiety after a few hundred years of deification.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I don't understand why you're reading books by an author whose style you clearly dislike. Stop making yourself miserable. Warbreaker is very different in setting and plot than Mistborn, but it's not like Sanderson became a different person when writing it (in fact, I'm pretty sure he wrote it simultaneously with Mistborn.

edit: welp that's what I get for not reading your last few paragraphs. never mind!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Damo posted:

To be fair, you are kind of mixing up events here. At the beginning of the book Sazed makes a rubbing of the steel plate in the Convetical of Saren, true, but that was before he knew about Ruin's capabilities regarding manipulating written stuff. Marsh kind of hustles him out of these before he has a chance to finish rubbing the entire metal plate, and he only discovers the last bit that explicitly says and explains why that "only stuff written in steel is safe" when he comes back to the Conventical at the end of the book and reads the part of the plate he didn't realize he missed the first time. Which is also after he witnessed this capability of Ruin first hand when something (Ruin, as you discover with Sazed) kept snipping pieces off of / changing Sazed's and Tindwyl's notes on the prophecies regarding the Hero of Ages.

At least, I'm pretty sure that' the way it went down. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yeah, I think sazed read the first line out loud, but stuffed it into his metalmind (where ruin could gently caress with it). So he wouldn't know it seconds later when he makes the rubbing. Marsh was wholly under ruins control at the time.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I do remember his chapters being a bit of a slog, but the thing about Spook is that his actions post-Mistborn trilogy dramatically impact the world and will probably influence the next two trilogies in that world. He didn't do much to impact the overall plot of the original three books though.

apt gangbang posted:

I do remember his chapters being a bit of a slog, but the thing about Spook is that his actions post-Mistborn trilogy dramatically impact the world and will probably influence the next two trilogies in that world. He didn't do much to impact the overall plot of the original three books though.

What happened there?

And yeah, just like Vin was used in book 1 to examine Allomancy, and Sazed was used in book 2 to learn about Feruchemy, Spooks chapters were used to teach the reader (not the rest of the world) what Hemalurgy can do.

Also, seeing the church of the Survivor pick up Spook as a new survivor was pretty vital to Sazed's arc so I'd disagree that it wasn't important to the immediate plot anyway.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
TOR has some Q&A from Sanderson on their site, with some interesting bits

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Would an Awakener be able to awaken a corpse that was soulcast into stone more easily because it used to be living, thereby being able to create lifeless similar to Kalad’s Phantoms without having bones in the framework?

Yes. That would definitely work.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The way Sanderson set up Way of Kings, the prologue was necessary so the reader could figure out before Kaladin did that Kaladin is Surgebinding, and what that means.

Sanderson is a fantasy writer who uses scifi conventions (wherein everything has to make logical sense by the end of the story) so his magic systems tend to be rigid and thoroughly explained.

A more elegant way to do that would be to make szeth explain a different binding each intermission, but that would probably be a bit straightforward for Sanderson

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

api call girl posted:

Some of this is going to get cleared up pretty satisfactorily by the end of WoR. Including your spoiler block. Don't read this next block. Dalinar's motivation in this arc isn't that he distrusts Kaladin.

Oh man, I forgot about that. Yeah, that was super satisfactory.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I didn't read "I'm a lesbian" off of Ranette, and I'm legitimately concerned that by more obvious he means "openly hostile towards men".

Drunk Tomato posted:

I would bet good money that the reason that BranSan hasn't had a major LGBTQ character is because he is afraid of not writing them well and realistically. His religion plays a bit into that fear, in that he had likely very limited exposure to LGBTQ people while growing up. Thus, he does not feel comfortable writing about someone who may take great offense at his ignorance. He is a very thoughtful and kind dude, though, and I bet if you outright asked him he would say that he would love to include a major LGBTQ character some day, when he knows he can do it in a skillful way that doesn't make them a "token" character. Hell, knowing him he probably already has a trilogy with such a character in the preplanning stages.

This is probably correct. Since I started following Sanderson a few years ago, he's been slowly changing his views on a lot of things. His starting point, largely, is whatever the lds church says, but that doesn't mean his end point will be. He's no Orson Scott Card, at least.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

api call girl posted:

On the other hand, Sanderson did say human-Parshendi hybrids was possible :toot:

actually he said they exist, and they are the horneaters!

I'm really excited about whatever rock ends up becoming.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Eshonai (sp?) as well i think? or was she going to be in the first five... I remember something about that from the signing I went to.

IIRC, she'll be a regular POV character in the next book, and the primary POV character in the book after, but I could be misremembering.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

Elantris is all right, but it's the roughest that reading Sanderson gets (excepting his unpublished books). He sticks to a strict POV rotation between his characters, where each chapter is told from the POV of the next in line which... doesn't work. If he was writing it now it might be better, but the three characters are basically "talentless privileged Vin", "really dull Elend (but with some neat magic)" and "battle-monk Sazed".

It's not the worst book in the world, but don't go expecting it to be as good as his other novels.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

You've come to the right place. ;)

I'm hoping the same. Same core happy kid, tempered by life's lessons. Doesn't have to be brutal or grimdark or anything like that.

Hopefully she'll have moved onto soups.

Real time action soup drinking.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Apparently he's writing it as two 5-book series.

I've heard Alloy Of Law fits into the gap, but dunno if it's true - timelines are kinda screwy.

You're messing up the series. The alloy of law trilogy is in between the first two trilogies of the Mistborn trilogy³. There's also going to be an empty space in between the fifth and sixth Stormlight books, but that will definitely be filled in with flashback chapters in 6-10.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ScaryJen posted:

I have a couple other books to read after Elantris (Clariel came out last month and I haven't even flipped through it yet), but I'm either going to pick up the next two Mistborns or Way of Kings next. I had pretty much written off the new steampunky Mistborn book, but according to the thread it's actually good? I might have to read it after all.

Definitely read the next 2 Mistborn books, because while Sanderson is kinda poo poo at writing a forbidden love story, he's fantastic at writing an "everything is going to poo poo" story, so at least book 3 is good.

Alloy of law isn't steampunk, it's a proper Western in a fantasy world.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Could also give you it all, or at least the knowledge of it.

Sazium. :colbert:

God I hope that ends up being the name of an alloy of atium and larasium

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mortanis posted:

Somewhere right before Alloy of Law dropped I swear I read that Sazed/Harmony was slowly corrupting under the influence of the shards he held - either the fact that shards themselves subsume hosts due to their semi-divine nature, or due to the fact that he's holding Ruin. We didn't see any evidence of that in Alloy of Law that I noticed, so I'm wondering if that was just a rumor and not something Sanderson said somewhere though.

Just so everyone knows, this is basically from one of of the pre-chapter segments in Way of Kings. I believe it was in Hoid's letter, he states that the shards slowly change a person's personality to be more like the shards, but that the person can't influence the shard in the same way. He brings up Ati as an example of someone who started out as a good person but was corrupted by Ruin (And odium was already a right bastard before he got his hands on his shard). Given the timescale involved, I doubt Sazed is really changed during any of the Wax/Wayne or Stormlight books, but that we might start seeing that take the forefront in the third or sixth currently planned Mistborn trilogies.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

syphon posted:

So, was Regalia's ability to communicate with Calamity, and urge him to boon powers to new people a new mystery that was left unanswered, or did I just miss something obvious?

Yeah, I expect that'll come up in the next book.

As to Davids powers, I need to re-read the last few chapters, but it seemed to me that he was being given something related to the bridge under the water, not the water itself. Controlling steel, maybe? There's no reason to think the power is related to the fear, just the weakness

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
It just occurred to me that since calamity consciously chooses the powers and weaknesses of epics, he's literally a self-insert.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Well, he's depressed to start with, and he also hates the rain.

On a planet with regular hurricanes.

Sucks to be him.

Not to mention that month of just steady rain, that kinda blows.

apophenium posted:

Also the guards would have been introduced first and developed as characters and would have been incredibly sympathetic, ensuring emotional impact when they got cut down by Szeth.

And imo this is really a shame, because I find Sanderson to be really good at introducing a minor character in such a way that you know they don't matter to the plot, but you also care about them. Like that skaa elder from the Mistborn prologue.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 9, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Warbreaker is his other "early" novel. It's worth a read if you're a completionist.

Otherwise, pick up these three:

Way of Kings (Stormlight 1)
Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)
The Emperor's Soul (novella)

Emperor's Soul is probably his best work. It's short, sweet, and very very good.

Stormlight just owns in general.

It's worth noting that mistborn was written before Warbreaker.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rumda posted:

Thats the point though your supposed to feel frustrated mood disorders ARE frustrating and persistent. What gets me is people who say thats bad writing or poor storytelling, its not.

Same thing happened with The Magicians on here, with goons acting like quentins depression was somehow a negative as opposed to the entire point.

Goons don't like sad brains.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

I read Sanderson's WoT books, then the stormlight archives.

Now I've started on the Reckoners books, though they seem more young adult than his other stuff.

After that I'm planning on his Mistborn series.

Will that give me the breadth of his cosmere stuff? Or are there some of his short stories/one-offs that I should read?

Reckoners and anything else that takes place on earth don't take place in the cosmere, they're pretty good.

You're missing a few books. Warbreaker and Emperor's Soul are definitely worth reading, Elantris is probably about 1/3 of a good book, and it's safe to skip that unless you'd like to see how bad Sanderson was when he started out (so bad). Sixth of the Dusk is also Cosmere, and I'd recommend picking it up.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mallamp posted:

During that timejump internet will be invented and books 6-10 will have Lift yelling memes

Stormlight Archives, book 8, page 743 posted:

"Imma chargan ma awesome!" Lift shouted, through a mouth of half chewed pizza rolls.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

What? It's not even 5 & 6? So when is the actual 5th main storyline Mistborn book coming?

Mistborn was planned to be 3 trilogies, spanning 3 different time periods. The books we're waiting on are the first two parts of a previously unplanned sequel trilogy to Alloy of law.

Alloy of Law was an unplanned novella that takes place between the first two trilogies, and was written during a flight. :getin:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Read the shorts? Read them next if not.

Could someone list the entire set of Sanderson's shorts? I... haven't read them yet either. :v: Only remember Emperors Soul off the top of my head.

Firstborn - non-cosmere sci-fi, pretty worth a read
Defending Elysium - I've never heard of this, but it's on his wikipedia page
Perfect State - also non-cosmere sci-fi, also really good
Mitosis - the direct sequel to Steelheart, and I found kind of skippable
Infinity Blade: Awakening/Redemption - 2 short stories based on an IOS game
Sixth of the Dusk - Cosmere colonialism from the POV of the colonized
Emperor's Soul - Obviously

I think that's the lot of them.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Khizan posted:

I liked Elantris more than Warbreaker and the Mistborn books, easily. Hrathen was a more interesting character than anybody in those books and the ending was not that bad compared to Warbreaker's "Oh, the invasion of your homeland that you've been worrying about? Here, you can have my invincible golem army! It'll resolve the crisis in two sentences!"

Yeah but hrathen is The Good Thing about elantris, and if that's not enough it's going to fall flat.

The invading army bit of Warbreaker isn't the point, so that criticism falls apart pretty hard. It does suffer from having 2 female leads that are the same character at different ends of the same arc though, elantris is better in that way because it only has one of that character.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So is anyone else pumped as hell about this post I found on reddit:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

It will have four trilogies now. (Though part of me thinks I might need another interim cyberpunkish one between 1980's and full Space Opera.) Right now, though, I have four eras planned.

As for your original question, Harmony is excited, but also worried, perhaps in equal measure.

Bring on the Cybermistborn.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Oh god, it starts again! A reminder that Bands of Mourning are coming soon.

Here's chapter one!

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/07/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-one/

I'm going to do what I usually do with Sanderson, and only read the first one of these. So before this thread becomes an unpenetrable mess of black bars this is a pretty good start IMO.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Who are you talking about? I can't recall anybody matching your description.

I forgot their name but I think fluffy is talking about Adolin's little brother.

I don't actually remember what they're talking about, but that's the only character that seems to fit. I should re-read these soon.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I imagine a lot depends on how 'alive' you need to be. And what happens if you just insert the spike while the guy is alive, but don't rip it out until after they've passed.

Mostly just talking about hemalurgy in future mistborn books now, so I'll forgo spoiler tags:

Really, if one of the Mistborn books doesn't feature an old money type family that passes on their powers to the next generation using hemalurgy I'll be extremely disappointed. It's such an obvious use of the power that Sanderson has to have considered it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

broken clock opsec posted:

David beats Obliteration, Obliteration takes David to Regalia, Regalia turns Prof, David kills Regalia, Prof goes for David, Megan reincarnates without her "dark side" (because of why she dies) and saves David, driving Prof off.

e: just blew through all of Calamity

Also David might be a secret magneto now, but just said lol nope so he's not evil. I'm assuming that scene is explained better in calamity, but I'll find out in the next 2-3 days.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I secretly hope all those other non-cosmere books would crash and not sell so he could spend more time on Stormlight.

Sanderson isn't the bottleneck there. This is an author who manages to accidentally write a novel while on vacation.
I expect he has a team of editors at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I follow him and a bunch of fantasy/scifi authors on twitter, and the cover is really something. He even name dropped the cover artist's deviantart page.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/705467892020609024

edit: I didn't know linking to twitter throws up images as well - is that leeching? :ohdear:

Given that it's a thing lowtax had to have specifically made, no.

Twitter can spare the bandwidth.