Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

After I got into Sanderson, I shouldn't have started Stormlight while there are still eight books to go. I hate waiting.

While he's not going to take GRRM times to put out books, he has 8 books to go so it'll probably be a decade and a half or so before I see the conclusion even with an insane pace. gently caress.

On the plus side he tends to put out 2-3 books a year, with a stormlight every second year, so you'll never go long without something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

Has it been confirmed that Cultivation is splintered? Honor is dead, certainly, but Cultivation not necessarily?

Odium has the advantage in his war against the other shards in that the nature of his shard favours aggression. Other shards may be limited in their responses to him by their natures (eg. Preservation) which he can then exploit to destroy them. Also, in secret history it was implied that splintering a shard was not public knowledge among shardholders and many shard holders didn't know how to do it, and would instead just fight to a standstill.

I've been assuming that's the case. My guess is that honor sacrificed himself in order to protect the rest of the shards, because obviously. There's no reason to think cultivation was dragged into that whole mess.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

I just finished my re-read of stormlight 1 and 2 and now I need a new author...

If you haven't read Robin Hobb's books you should read her stuff. none of her worlds have the same sort of magic system stuff that Sanderson does, but the worldbuilding is really good.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

Start with Assassin's Apprentice?

If Assasin's Apprentice doesn't grab you, you can check out the Soldier's Son trilogy, which is VERY different, and completely disconnected. The rest of her works take place in the same world.

She also does a lot of writing as Megan Lindholm (her real name) which tends to be lighter in tone and largely self contained.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Technically also a pen name (Margaret) and I have no idea how you got 'lighter in tone' considering most of it's about domestic abuse

Didn't realize that!

and not going to lie, the only writing of her's I've read was the "collaboration" anthology she did between the two pen names and I remember the lindholm stories in that being fairly light (though there were some dark themes, I'm remembering mostly the tone, if that makes sense?)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

Are some of Sanderson's works only available on kindle? I looked on Amazon for the emporer's soul and the mistborn secret history and it was saying kindle only. I hope that's not the case and I'm just bad at the internet

Looks like you can still get Emperor's Soul in his store: http://store.brandonsanderson.com/the-emperors-soul-hardcover/

Bit pricey compared to the ebook, obviously, but that looks like your option for something made of paper.

IIRC there's a collection of that and another one or 2 novellas coming out this summer.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

I didn't know it was actually possible, but I've gotten to the point where I'm almost done reading all of Sanderson's non-YA books and novellas. Currently reading Emperor's Soul (So good!) and then Perfect State. After that I guess it'll be Rithmatist and Alcatraz. This has been the perfect come down after Infinite Jest. Hopefully he'll publish 2-3 more books before I finish the YA stuff.

Halfway through Emperor's Soul, and it's been absolutely delightful. If it keeps it up it may end up my favorite, not sure why its hitting all the sweet spots with pretty much all the action taking place in a single room, but I can't get enough.

Sanderson is really good at short form writing. Almost everyone loves emperors soul.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I had heard it was bland - are people liking it now?

Given that it's been out for maybe like 2 days that's a pretty quick time to calcify your opinion and then have it changed.

(White Sands the book was pretty "early Sanderson", and therefore I'm sure pretty bad, but White Sands the comic just came out and is hopefully really good..)

My copy is sitting in the canada post depot right now, they were supposed to deliver it yesterday, today's a holiday, and they probably go on strike tomorrow. Everything is terrible.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Drunk Tomato posted:

I had a friend who did not understand why Vin would not choose Zane. She thought he was way better than Elend, who she considered boring and whiny. Still baffles me to this day... :stare:

Some people never get over their Hot Topic phase, I guess

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I liked Edgedancer a lot, but I have to think about the implications in there a bit before writing more about it. But while I was looking in Words of Radiance, I stumbled upon this part which didn't register with me before:

So one of the orders survived more or less intact?? Perhaps without spren to bind to, but the basic structure would have to be there! After reading Edgedancer, it could be the Skybreakers under Nalan. He already has three potential new Skybreakers under him. Or it's a diversion, since subterfuge doesn't really mesh with Nalan and his order's personality.

I'd guess it's referring to either the Dustbringers, since they were largely mistrusted so were probably pretty secretive in public, or the Lightweavers, since their whole thing is subterfuge. This might also explain how the church is able to soulcast

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

So BranSan actually mentions Asimov as one of his influences, how do his books compare to them?

Now that you mention it, I can kind of see some broad parallels, where Sanderson puts together a world and defines rules for it in order to see how it would function within those rules.

For the most part though:

Benson Cunningham posted:

Haahahahhaahahahhaha

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I like how everyone says Mat the lazy irresponsible one and Perrin is the thoughtful responsible one.

Then anytime the chance for Mat to run away and abandon friends, allies, or strangers comes up, he jumps into the thick of things and risks his life.

The second Perrin is given responsibility he risks the lives of everyone he meets and the universe itself.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I enjoyed that.

It's been a long while since I've read them, but IIRC mat was the one saying that like 90% of the time, usually just before or after he did something very difficult very well. The other 10% are people who knew him when he was a lovely kid.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'd say read Warbreaker first but mainly because it's not as well written as the Stormlight books so I doubt it holds up.

skip edgedancer is you're one of the funhaters who doesn't like lift (don't actually skip edgedancer he's pretty clearly making her arc one where she grows up over time and edgedancer is... pretty important there!)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm a nerd who likes to talk Power Levels. Are the Shards the strongest beings in the Cosmere? Harmony is afraid of whatever that red stuff is after all and he has two Shards.

Which reminds me. Somebody said he's technically stronger than Odium due to having Ruin and Preservation. Yet hasn't Odium killed other Shard-bearers? Why didn't he take up their Shards? Is it because he knew it could potentially gently caress up his abilities like with how Ruin + Preservation made Sazed kinda impassive?

I ask also about power levels because I recall the Stormfather - who is always presented as quite powerful and imposing - basically being reduced to a whimpering child when Odium appeared to Dalinar.

power levels are only one half of the equation: sazed could absolutely trounce odium on pure power, especially because odium is spread so thin BUT shards can't act against their nature. or at least it's very difficult. as harmony sazed can probably not take aggressive action without an incredibly good reason. it's the same reason that odium or autonomy likely couldn't ever take hold of another shard. odium because they are hate, and they hate everything; and autonomy because taking up another shard would change them fundamentally, causing them to lose their independent nature.

I'd guess having a shard like cultivation or preservation would make taking a second shard easier, and I could imagine being able to convince honour or endowment to give their shards up to you willingly

but sazed is probably just the strongest being in the cosmere yeah

(also WRT sazed being impassive, I suspect sometime soon we'll see him take action because another shard bringing war to his planet isn't exactly a harmonious action)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

[

we haven't actually seen odium's actual objective. Some of odium's enemies have said he wants to do that, but odium himself hasn't (and in fact, that insane fused Moash talks with is pissed off that they've been repeatedly shot down on their personal 'kill all humans' idea

Here's the reddit post of the Paalm theory

I'd guess Odium only cares about killing the other shards, and either doesn't want to kill all humans, or just doesn't care about killing all humans.

it's also possible that since the humans on roshar are from (presumably) odiums own world he feels some degree of kinship or responsibility there?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IMO best NA stormlight cover, looks great, A+

The UK cover is still better, but that's always how it is with Sanderson.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Dawnshard/RoW So Dalinar sometimes sees a mysterious light, and hears "Unite them", even when the Stormfather is not sending him visions. Is he already in possession of a Unite Dawnshard, without knowing it?

I think that specifically what that means is to unite the Honor and Odium shards and become the shard War, based on the entire book we all just read. I'd guess that this all popped off because whatever's left of honor knows that some time ago someone managed to combine two opposing shards into a single, less destructive force, and the same thing can be done with Odium.

Like, having a god of war running around would still suck, but wars have rules of engagements, and can be decisively won, or lost in a way that doesn't require complete annihilation

edit:actually wait, that's definitely Cultivation telling him to UNITE THEM so pretend I said that up there

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm wondering if two shards are more powerful than one shard or not. Because the book said something about that, something like all shards being essentially infinite in power so combining or not didn't matter to the overall power level, which was why odium was happy not combining and remaining itself. So maube what combining changes are the properties of the shards instead of the raw power. The new shard seem to have both the old magic systems, but if they are all infinte, still equal in power.

the entire premise of Mistborn is that preservation put the slightest amount more of itself into humans than ruin did, and therefore, eventually, ruin could destroy preservation utterly.

unrelated ROW spoilers from the signing livestream last week

Brando Sando posted:

Let's just say something weird is happening to make deadeyes. They didn't exist before the Recreance. There should be a relationship here that reminds you of something else you've seen in the Cosmere.

Damnit I'm going to have to reread elantris aren't I, this just makes me think of elantris for some reason.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

So spren are the spirits of Roshar, right? When exactly where the Shattered Plains shattered? Because that could be the parallel to Elantris, with the big wound in Roshar somehow changing the magic system and making deadeyes possible. Although I still think it has something to do with Ba-Ado-Mishram. Unless the plains were shattered as a result of her being captured, or in the process of capturing her.

iirc, the geographic change in elantris caused issues with their magic because it's actually based on drawing the geography around you - once that geography changed you needed an all new set of runes, you broke the old ones. it didn't impact all magic in the world, you could still carve runes into bone or rewrite an objects history, only elantrian runes were busted

so that means that the recreance caused a fundamental change to whatever rosharan magic is based on, so that whatever was supposed to happen when a human breaks an oath no longer happens, right? who could still remember what happened pre-recreance? Syl, The Stormfather, Maya, The Sibling, and Cultivation? all the other sprens who matter are post-recreance right?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I think the relation is more that (Stormlight/Elantris spoilers) in Elantris the problems come from the flow of power being blocked. People were set to receive it but it wasn't coming so they got side effects that were viewed as a disease. The Deadeyes are spren who are set to receive power from their oathbond, but that was blocked by the recreance and the result was also seen as an incurable affliction. Not a fundamental change to the system, people can still bond spren, but a mass-severing of the bonds that existed at the time. Similar effect, similar cause on a local scale, not the same cause on a global one.

I don't buy that because according to WOB, before the recreance a radiant breaking their oaths wouldn't result in their spren turning into a deadeye, that's a change in how that works.

so if the power is being blocked, what's blocking it? creating the bond clearly still works, but there was a process when breaking it and for some reason that's broken now, that process. like, if that was caused by the mass breaking of oaths, what thing in the world did that change?

at least, AFAIK, I still need to re-read elantris

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Hey, so I’ve blown through the first three stormlight archive books, and I’ve just started on the fourth, and it seems a lot more after-school-special-y than the prior books, with a kind of ham handed “here’s the basics of fantasy mental illness” taking the focus away from what made the other books fun. Does this continue through the rest of the book?

all of the Stormlight Archives books so far have been at least in part about mental health, and there's no reason to think that'll ever change, no?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

Besides the part about light, the Sibling being a godspren that's a child of both Honor and Cultivation, with a light that's a mixture of both implies that there is another godspren that's similar enough to be a sibling instead of a cousin. At least that's my speculation.

I'm running on the assumption that it's the Sibling of the stormfather and the nightwatcher, personally

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, so, Shallan RoW who did Formless end up being? was it just ... Shallan herself?

Yeah Formless was just Shallan, but she was just dissociating really fuckin bad.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Aren’t oceans land in the cognitive realm? Wouldn’t you just walk up to the weird box and pop it open?

do we know how aluminum interacts with shadesmar? there might be something there we're unaware of

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I think the problem is that when we get flashbacks to Kaladin and Shallan's childhoods, NOBODY talks like she does. Kal didn't, the kids around Hearthstone didn't, Tein didn't, Shallan and her brothers didn't. It's not just that she "talks in a childish way", it's that a lot of her vocabulary doesn't feel Rosharan at all.

"Starvin' voidbringer" works. "Awesome" and "Tightbutt" don't. Not for me, anyways.

this could also be an indication that she's very old. like, older than any of the other characters old.

It seems pretty likely that her wish to the nightmother was to never grow up, so she might have existed as she was for who knows how long before she first appeared, and also that Cultivation just doesn't keep her promises, rather she uses them as pretense to force people to grow in specific ways.

Lift's slang isn't modern, it's specifically old fashioned for roshar.

looking forward to the lift flashback book when everyone talks like her

(also you should read the lift chapter because after book 5 she's getting promoted to main character)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Lift physically ages, she was 13 when the true desolation started. She's been binding for a while, and the latest book talks about how she has trouble fitting into spaces now

Lift physically ages now. AFAIK we don't know that she has always been aging.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Totally agree with most of your quote, no major disagreements though I do have an explanation for this one. Mild Cosmere spoilers

The Elantrians' magic is basically like their technology and drawn from the AonDor, which is what happened when two Shards (Devotion and Dominion) were Shattered by another Shard and got mixed together. Dominion, being ownership of territory, and Devotion being faithfulness to it, tied every magic system on the planet to its geographic borders AND uses its shape in its symbols. It's also clear people have only a rudimentary understanding of why that is, made clearer in Emperor's Soul where a character isn't sure why their magic is weaker in another country.

As we've seen from Texas, people can be really bad at preparing for major disasters that completely negate the tools and technology they rely on for their society. When their magic collapsed they had no plan on bootstrapping it back into activation - indeed they might not even known the fundamental principles of their magic being tied to the land, only that it once worked and now suddenly doesn't, and were preoccupied with surviving.

Basically, their magical energy grid died and changed the rules by which it operated, and everything was so catastrophic there weren't any opportunities to learn how to fix it before everyone was in perpetual agony, assuming anyone actually understood how it worked in the first place.

Edit: A simple, mechanical explanation that everyone managed to overlook but is obvious in hindsight is a big part of my attraction to Sanderson's work

I'd also include the fact that this sort of thing may certainly have happened before, but Dominion was still alive at the time in order to correct it, either by undoing the damage or informing the elantrians of the change. I don't know how long it's been since they were shattered but it's not like geographically significant chasms pop up on earth very often so I'm willing to accept whatever timescale

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

I thought that was broadcast loud and clear, in a pretty heavy handed way. In everyone's point of view but her own, Navani is always a world famous inventor and artifabrian. Only she ever makes excuses about not 'really' being one. Plus she's revolutionized science and magical technology. Impostor syndrome, 100%

this 100%

I can't remember a single person who didn't suck (gavilar) claim she was anything but brilliant ASIDE from Navani. she didn't do the work of putting rubies in metal, but she invented flight! that's generally a p big deal.

also she had some hints as to what she was looking for because of the antilight from the start of the book

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Hitch posted:

Out of curiosity, have you read any of the Stormlight Archives series or whatever it’s called? I’ve only read Elantris by Sanderson and am interested enough to keep going. Was curious if I should start with one of yours listed or switch to what I assume is his premier series.

for a bit more detail: probably the best way to read Sanderson is publishing order: he gets noticeably better over time, and while some later books are worse than earlier ones (Well Of Ascension is the worst of the original Mistborn series as an example), you're exactly where you want to be in order to really enjoy his books. And than means reading Mistborn, The Final Empire next.

(if you're not digging a specific series obv you can bounce - if you liked elantris you'll probably dig Mistborn though)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
nah, navani is definately future trunks, she's super cool, mysterious, and has information that no one else has access to

as cliché as it is, since they're always showing up at the last minute to save the day lift is goku

edit:vvvvvv
let it be known that I'm dull as a bag of uncut gems, I meant jasnah

egg tats fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 19, 2021

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So do different magic systems work on different planets? Humans used surgebinding on their old world as well as Roshar, right?

I'm just reading Mistborn Secret History and Wit took that metal that makes you a mistborn and wondering if he can just pop that into anyone's mouth in the Cosmere and they become a mistborn?

yes but ALSO rosharians would call allomancy surgebinding and not really be wrong because it's an umbrella term. presumably the way humans surgebound before coming to Roshar was different from how they do now because Honor and cultivation weren't there

Larasium will have the same impact on anyone who eats it, because it's literally part of preservation. it also might not exist anymore because Laras doesn't exist anymore! sazeium might do something completely different

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you think we will learn more about the Oathpact next book?

Reading ROW has made me reread the whole series. And it's hard to view Honor as a good guy if he knew all along his chosen heroes would be mercilessly tortured, that the continued salvation of the world rested upon this. Just not a good look when you need people tortured.

But if this was some later fact that they did not know of at the time of the Oathpact's creation, that is more understandable.

of course he's not a good guy, people have done terrible poo poo to themselves and others for centuries in the name of honour.

that said, if you were to choose between making 7 people suffer forever, in order to prevent the end of all life, I imagine you'd make the same call

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno where to put this since it concerns two very different fictional works but the idea struck me after watching the latest dubbed ep of My Hero Academia and also talking to somebody on Discord who is presently reading Oathbringer for the first time.

Dalinar is, so far as I can tell, a solid contender for the best, most beloved main character in TSA. I agree with that - he's def my favorite. In spite of his past deeds, he gets none of the "I will NEVER forgive him" that Endeavor gets from a certain part of the MHA fandom. Maybe it's just apples and oranges but the contrast randomly hit me. I've never seen the concentrated vitriol for Dalinar that Endeavor got.

Perhaps it's as simple as Dalinar was introduced to us after already starting his path to redemption while Endeavor was introduced while still fully immersed in his shittiness.

I think the medium plays into this somewhat, and framing moreso. when we meet dalinar, he's well past his lowest point, and he's already working on improving himself. we also spend a lot of time inside dalinars head in a way that just can't really happen with a Manga or an anime. up until the current arc of MHA, we only really knew endeavour by the way he influenced his children. by which I mean the way he abused them! dalinar isn't shown doing anything, like, evil until book 3, and even then only then in flashback. we basically meet endeavour by his kid telling us how he got his zuko scar

literally the most important thing to get about dalinar early on, is that he is not the blackthorn anymore. everyone thinks that for better or worse that man is gone. endeavour is, like, still that dude.

(ftr, I don't expect that MHA will stick the landing with endeavor because, while it was societies expectations that drove him to abuse his family, I doubt the author is going to actually do that. Sanderson has the freedom to be able to say that the story is about a fundamentally bad culture without also having to imply that his own culture is bad in the same ways, you know?)

(even if by the way I see some Americans going on sometimes I wonder if y'all got The Thrill)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

Did he say he’s gonna do anything meaningful with the cosmere stuff? Like write books about it? Stormlight books kinda hint at a cosmic war but that’s all I’ve seen so far. Admittedly I haven’t read everything he’s written though.

my understanding is that dragonsteel, the post almost everything Cosmere series will be about the assassination of adonalisium, the God that all of these shards were broken off of. it'll be followed by one final series to cap everything off with.

also, somewhat more immediate spoilers for post Stormlight we've seen from the preview of the next sixth of the dusk book that radiants will be in conflict with allomamcers which is a more direct interaction than we've seen outside of hoid

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

You don't actually need to know anything abought Nightblood or read Warbreaker to understand its role in the Stormlight books. But like all Sanderson books you'll keep catching other characters from other book series pop up if you start reading them all.

while this is true warbreaker is both good and free so, you know, it's an easy reccomend

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Barreft posted:

He's pushing himself to do too much. Just my opinion but look at this:

realizing that Sanderson is more prolific than Steven King was at this point in his career has shaken me to my core

and Sanderson's only drug is mtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

eke out posted:

no idea what he's teasing but I imagine the reference is to GRRM consulting on Elden Ring for FromSoft?

I think he's just saying it's a mid-tier publisher, so not like Ubisoft, or Microsoft. epic would be out since he already did work with them (so not an infinity blade re-release or something)