Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Okay, so I just burned through Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in two weeks and I need more. I just picked up the mistborn series as well. What's the reading order for other Sanderson stuff beyond mistborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just finished Hero of Ages and I'm impressed with how everything wrapped up neatly. Not entirely sure how I feel about the ending but having read Words of Radiance as well does this mean Sazed could potentially kill Odium since he has the power of two gods? Or has Odium "ate" the gods that he has killed? Now I need to read the rest of his works to see if there's any insight

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Are some of Sanderson's works only available on kindle? I looked on Amazon for the emporer's soul and the mistborn secret history and it was saying kindle only. I hope that's not the case and I'm just bad at the internet

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Welp, I'm through both sets of mistborn books (and finally found secret history), both stormlight archives, emporer's soul, and just finishing up warbreaker probably today.

Though that got shelved for the past two days as I burned through the library at mount char, thanks for whoever suggested it in here. I want more!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Finally finished Warbreaker. Been putting it off since I had it on my phone and it Ives me a headache to read on it after awhile. Rather pleased with the ending. Between that and Mistborn secret history, I wanna know more about the people who travel between worlds seeking to gain the powers of each. Seems like someone is trying to become as strong as the original God, or at least an approximation of it? And where does Hoid fit in? How many powers or which has he retained? Maybe the fifth heightening? Anyone have any clues as to who the dude is in secret history that eats the magic mist born rock at the well of Ascension is? Sorry if this has been debated before but I avoided reading the spoilers earlier.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 10, 2016

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

hoid is also a feruchemist, according to brandon, which now makes him a lord ruler on top of his other bullshit

Guessing that's what he was doing up in Terris in secret history? Also, I read the stormlight books first, so I'm forgetting, where does it confirm that it was Hoid in secret history?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got the 2nd book in physical form and it's loving huge (think its pretty cool), this one is even longer based on the page count.

I think the storm light bricks on my bookshelf actually deter my friends from starting to read Sanderson :smith:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Isn't it lightsong? Did I read that entire book and remember his name wrong the whole time? :ohdear:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Unfortunately, the Well of Ascension is the weakest book of the first Mistborn trilogy. I still like it a lot, but it can drag a big in some sections. Hero of Ages on the other hand is a great finisher for the trilogy.

He probably could've cut a hundred pages from WoA and still been fine, but I didn't really mind it as much as everyone else in this thread seemed to.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I thought warbreaker was fantastic and I’m happy we are seeing its characters cross over first. But gimme that twinborn in Roshar please. Or maybe someone with the hands of mourning?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

As far as mistborn series two goes, I'm still a the real Mare died before book 1, and the one Kelsier knew was Paalm impersonating her truther. It makes the arc in series 2 better, especially if the main villain of mistborn overall ends up being Harmony

I would not be surprised if Harmony ends up doing horrible poo poo for the greater good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

eke out posted:

yeah that's basically wax's whole storyline

Guess I need to reread those books, it’s been awhile. I don’t remember it being particularly egregious. I was thinking more Cosmere level consequences.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Second windrunner is probably Lyn - she seems to be set up as a more major character from the chapters released so far.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

eke out posted:

sanderson's been pretty adamant that Alethi need to be played by asian people and that it's not an optional thing (even though hollywood will definitely want to just cast white people)

Bollywood would handle this better than Hollywood obviously

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Leng posted:

There are so many people rooting for Jasnadin since Oathbringer.

Leshwadin would be way more interesting!

Isn’t a Leshwadin situation how you ended up with horneaters? We need more of them.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Shallan is actually a Kandra, you heard it here first.

I feel like there’s gotta be at least one on Roshar by now. Too much going on that Sazed would want to be in the loop about.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

While this wouldn't make her any better it'd be hard to make her any worse.

I don’t really get the hate for her (though it’s been awhile since I re-read WoK and WoR). I’m just hoping we get a Sanderson style huge pay off to her weird adventures.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

Adolin is a wonderful friend and a hilarious doormat to his wife. No, wait the totally different person who inhabits his wife's body and doesn't love him. If Sanderson wasn't a prude I would assume Veil's antics were setting up a cuckolding conflict.

lol if you think one of Shallan’s parts (probably veil)isn’t gonna bang someone else by the end of this. These chapters have been great I’m happy I’ve been reading along but gently caress me I need the whole book.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

PlushCow posted:

I hadn't read Warbreaker first and I thought the Nightblood stuff was really jarring and out of place in WoR and Oathbringer. It didn't feel in tune with the worldbuilding in the novels up to that point. It still doesn't, but I'm interested to see how far Sanderson goes with it in Rhythm of War. Haven't read the preview chapters in case it's mentioned already.

I've read, and enjoyed, Warbreaker since then so I'm okay with it now but I would understand it rubbing a reader the wrong way if reading Stormlight in a vacuum. For the future I hope Sanderson stays vague and keeps out hard details of the magic systems from his other novels. Kaladin learning there are other worlds and someone shows up in a mistcloak, chugs a vial and flies off, great; don't tell me they drank steel and you need twenty breaths to make a stick-man etc etc.

Sanderson writes “hard” magic systems, so you’re gonna know how many breathes for a stickman since it’s sometimes plot relevant.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Y’all allergic to exactness or something?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Think we will get the new generation of Radiants as the portraits for the back half?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it immediately makes sense. Perhaps Dalinar can reforge the Oathpact? This could give them much needed time, which would explain the time skip between SA 5 and SA 6.

There’s been hints of this in the preview chapters. Well, less hinting and more outright musings from main characters in the latest one.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

eke out posted:

this is totally random but i saw this

this extremely specific phrasing about how the Rysn interlude is from a very different viewpoint in a way he can't say? that's gotta be the larkin's perspective, right

That would be my guess. Are they sentient? Or maybe spren like?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yeah second one is a bit of a soggy middle, since the first one is standalone but the second one is mostly building up for book 3

Iirc, the second one was hated more because of not having the third one immediately available to read by some posters. I know I blew through all three in short order and while the second is the weakest I still thoroughly enjoyed them all.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Leng posted:

And here I thought people hated the second one because of the love triangle. The pacing also slows down a lot more just because of the nature of the plot. Personally I enjoyed seeing Elend come into his own.

I mean yeah that part was a bit ham handed but I guess it didn’t really bother me much.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

So someone just tell me. Elend Venture - is he cool or does he suck?

Because on one hand, death to all noblemen. But on the other hand it would be nice to have a nobleman who actually was cool. At the part where there were more balls, winter is ending, and Kelsier is about to leave to see the army. (I'm ready for the action to pick up again.)

I just at this point am so distracted by Elend Venture, nothing about him in particular, but his character role in whether he's a potential love interest or he's a betrayer and we're going to have to go through that drama. It's distracting because the story is just in this waiting dread period of "is Vin gonna make a series of bad choices and get hosed over by Elend?"

So is he cool or does he suck? That's all I want to know. That way I can just enjoy the story more.

They already had a meetcute! I hope he doesn't suck.

Read and find out :sun:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I appreciate it. I attribute it more to Sanderson’s writing not being tricky for the sake of being tricky. People don’t just immediately change personalities. So when you have a journal where two characters are featured - one humble, one who believes in superiority/domination/extermination, there are only so many conclusion to draw.

People act how you could reasonably expect them to. Maybe it makes it easier to “solve” the story, maybe not. I really like his writing though because it doesn’t feel like he’s ever trying to intentionally deceive the reader.

Have no fear, there are in fact a good number of surprises that Sanderson does a good job of hiding deep in the text. There are passages in book 1 that won’t reveal their relevance until the back half of book 3.

Also, fuuuuuuck I need Dawnshard now!!!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Dawnshard comes out on amazon on the 10th for anyone else who missed the Kickstarter and has not been mashing f5 on amazon like I have.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

It's completely insane that it's so much easier to get a DRM free ebook via :filez: than through legal means. I'll buy the book once I can get it legally, but it's pretty stupid that I can't do that yet.

That said, dawnshard was pretty good. I really didn't like Lopen in the stormlight books, but he's a lot better when you see the world from his perspective.

I’m just gonna wait. I’m off Tuesday/Wednesday anyway.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo

A lot I have to parse but just finished Rhythm Of War. Woo, looking forward to reading everyone else’s thoughts and posting some of my own tomorrow.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
RoW spoilers:

-Glad to see some progress on the mental health of kaladin and shallan
-setting up Ishar and Taravangian as the big bads next book seems cool
-who the gently caress is “El?” Maybe...zombie elhokar?
-end of book 5 prediction: Dalinar gets smoked in a duel by either Nale or this mysterious El dude, setting up a cosmere wide war as Taravangian tries to “save them all”
-unstable szeth continues to accidentally deus ex machine the main plot is hilarious
-maybe radiant adolin next book? When dalinar falls?

More thoughts later after work

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah we don't really know anything about him yet, but he must be someone important if they let him kill the pursuer like that. I expect him to be involved in book 5 a lot

I kind of expected the pursuer defeated one to get some more time before he got got

Oh and I thought Moash inherited the pursuer title, not this new guy El. They said something about giving it to a human so I figured Moash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
RoW
I am more than a little surprised at the disparity among which characters everyone likes. I went back and skimmed through some stuff after putting the book down for a couple days. There’s a decent amount of bloat but outside of trimming up navani/kaladin under siege in the tower, it all kind of needs to be there. Shallan has been my least favorite character up until now, but I feel like she was way more entertaining in RoW and we finally had some progress. I don’t get the hate for Adolin. He’s one of the most interesting characters in the whole series.

Anyway, what’s the deal with Renarin? I really, really want more of his scheming. Where the gently caress did a Vasher go? How long until I tell my friends that a talking sword is one of my favorite parts of the cosmere?