Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like the voidbringers being the parshendi is either a bluff or nowhere near the full story. The fact that the answer just came so easily and in the first book makes me suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Emphatically disagree. The climax of book three is the standard for the Sanderson avalanche.

Heh, there's actually a word for this? I remember reading Way Of Kings and commenting to my wife after I finished that it was awesome but it felt like a shitload of stuff happened in the last 10% of the book.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I the only one that was not at all surprised Jasnah lived? I doubted it during chapter 7 and I doubted it even more when some of the questions Nanavi put to Shallan implied she had faked her death before. I was completely unsurprised when she was alive in the epilogue. I was surprised when Szeth was resurrected, though it didn't bother me very much since it seemed like it was done so Szeth could suffer a clean break from his past.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Was reading about some stuff he's said at signings and apparently he regrets killing Szeth instead of just having Kaladin take his honorblade

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Damo posted:

I did it. I made it through Mistborn: Well of Ascension.

gently caress, that wasn't exactly the greatest book ever. Really hope Book 3 makes this all have been worth it. As it is, I'm almost of the opinion that I would have been fine without ever having read this series.

I also really hope this dude upped his game seriously for the Stormlight Archive novels, because gently caress if I can imagine reading a 1200 page book of Sanderson right now. I'm being a bit unfairly harsh right now. I don't hate the guy's writing or anything, but I really need Hero of Ages to kick rear end, real bad.

Way of Kings is better than Mistborn, and Words of Radiance is better than Way of Kings.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Altered Perceptions is fully funded now. Hopefully the subject of the campaign can get back on his feet.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I could have sworn I read something about safehands having to do with the occupational differences between sexes (like men being farmers and warriors and women being artists and scholars)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not sure I'd recommend Mistborn too much at this point given the number of people I've seen in other threads saying they gave up on Sanderson after reading Mistborn.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xaris posted:

I dunno I read Mistborn first and loved it. Originally I'd almost say I'd prefer it as whole over Way of Kings (although Words of Radiance was clearly better).

I see a lot of people say 'I couldn't get into it because it felt like stealth YA' which I can totally see even though I enjoyed it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

High chance Shallan/Kaladin/Adolin is a thing. Someone asked him to confirm he wasn't going to go the obvious route and make them a love triangle and he seemed taken aback by the question.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Contrary to popular opinion I actually liked Shallan in the first two books but wasn't big on her sections in this book. She spends most of her chapters either being a completely different character or having a not-particularly-convincing identity crisis.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oddly enough one of my main problems with Oathbringer is that it feels like it revealed too much about the central mysteries of the series too early. I feel like my top 5 unanswered questions are answered now and we're only on book 3.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vladora posted:

The Kaladin album is available on Spotify/Amazon/iTunes/Google Play:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Rg6jC3HxOC3B9Xz7QOELC?si=NIUA-PNxRier6fY9nOZBZA

I listened to it while painting today and liked it pretty well.

Listening to this is a strange experience for me. I've never listened to an album based on a book, I occasionally hear bits and I'm like 'I wonder if the composer was thinking of this particular bit in the book at this part?'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He did a good job with Kaladin's depression but Shallan's dissociative fugue didn't seem that believable to me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would say GRRM is legitimately good at writing violence. Better not to speak of his sex scenes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Who cares if a prologue is bad, it's usually like 2-3% of the book.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The amount of people I know that grew up in poverty and also have anxiety disorders in adulthood is almost 100%.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It always spooks me a little how normal Sanderson is. Like a lot of times artists are tortured in some way and you get the opposite vibe of that from Sanderson. Like he's the reference model stamped out in the human factory or something.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's out now, it just appeared in my Kindle library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's Sanderson's 'Han shot first' moment, really.