Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

'Skapegoat" posted:

Didn't Raoden and most of his gang become shiny haired, shiny skinned gods towards the end of Elantris? I don't doubt that the people looking for Hoid are from the Elantris world (forgot the name), but they probably wern't Raoden or any of the main characters from Elantris.

treeboy posted:

they can disguise themselves no? The suggestion being the closer the disguise to 'normal' the less likely anyone would discover it?

Their powers decrease significantly the farther they get from Elantris, which serves as a giant power-amplification spell, so I don't see them world-hopping. They couldn't teleport back from Theod? or wherever at the end of the book because it was too far away for the spell to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Haraksha posted:

So she's basically Vin, again.

Not really. When we meet Vin, she was meek and was dependent on her brother and her crewleaders for anything. Shallan is the opposite of that: she comes into the story as an inventive, assertive (and as it turns out, ruthless) person, despite being saddled with the punniest dialogue I've seen outside of a Discworld novel. At least Pratchett knows what he's doing when he writes it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Just finished Alloy as well. I thought it interesting that at the end Sanderson goes against the cliche and the engagement continues.

I'm also glad that nobody in this book was supposed to be witty, that grew pretty tiresome in WOK.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

omnibobb posted:

I felt Wayne was his witty dude and it came off well, amd had me genuinely laughing at his and Waxs interactions.

The two things that pulled me out of the book were "Waxillium" & "Wax and Wayne". Waxillium is a dumb name and wax/wayne is a dumb pun.

Jesus, I can't believe I didn't get that. :ughh:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I loved the poo poo out of Emperor's Soul. It's short but intense.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I think he is aware of his lameness, and used Steelheart as a giant inside joke. It seemed to be very self-aware or ironic or what have you, unlike every Shallan chapter when he thought he actually was witty.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

No, he's GOOD at bad jokes.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Adnor posted:

Finished Secret History yesterday and immediately looked at Hero of Ages searching for all the references. Sanderson really plans everything ahead.

The next Wax and Wayne book is scheduled for 2017, right? Kinda sad, but I can wait. I think I'll read Warbreaker now, somehow I've skipped that book until now even when I know it's important for the cosmere.

I don't think that there are any more Wax and Wayne books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

He was a dick from the start.