Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

syphon posted:

Although admittedly, I skipped some of the flashbacks parts, since the way the story was written, I knew exactly what was going to happen in them (with the exception of finding out Kaladin had a chance at a shardblade and turned it down, only to get screwed over).

I think that's really the problem. He's not a horrible character, but his flashbacks were so soul-crushingly boring and predictable that my hatred of them transferred to him. When that reveal happened, I was thinking "oh god finally the flashbacks are over".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Anyway, I have a question: do Szeth's intermission chapters take place at the same time as the rest of the book? Because I'm sorta wondering if Shallan's father was on the list Szeth got.

It's actually impossible to answer any part of this with anything except "keep reading".

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What I thought was funny in WoK is Jasnah and that King guy were arguing about the existence of god and Jasnah was making pretty solid arguments for atheism, but the King didn't have poo poo.

Of course, you have to take into account that God is literally dead in that universe.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Is there any significance to the Kholin family's naming pattern? The almost-palindrome pattern seems to be universal among major lighteyes, so it's weird we don't even get a throwaway comment about them not following it.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Kruller posted:

There was a very short mention of how the symbols of the houses are all mirrored, and town names are all mirrored as well. It felt like a "Yes, this is important, but not right now" sentence, to me.

Well, yeah. It was just that every other mirroring I can think of got an explicit mention, so I assumed this one would be too.

There better be a lot more about Kalak in book 2. This is very obviously his fault, but I want to know why he corrupted the names of all the other heralds to palindromes.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

I wouldnt say the characters suck, but they are very simple in terms of motivation and personality.

I mean, I wouldn't say Goku sucks as a character either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

api call girl posted:

Maybe if that first chapter took place from the POV of someone else who was unfamiliar with the magic, like someone who barely survives being smashed by furniture flying around, then manages to get to but is too late for the last bit when Szeth kills the king?

And then the next time we see Szeth in action it's from his POV, thus giving us the names of the abilities.

Unnamed character POVs are almost always awkward, and the message in blood means Szeth or Gavilar are the only named characters who could do it. A Gavilar POV would have to reveal some detail about the message, so... yeah. I agree that the first chapter is annoyingly infodumpy, but I don't think Sanderson could have made a better first chapter without changing the plot around.