Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I'm almost done with the Mistborn series. It's funny, the first one didn't really grab me 'til I was about halfway through it, and then I read the 2nd half in one sitting. Actually, that's happened with all three so far. I feel a Hero Of Ages marathon coming on. I'm really liking the magic systems, since it gives him room to come up with all sorts of crazy new poo poo to add in, but since the rules are so defined it never turns into some sort of way for the heroes to always win. I did get the sense he thought Atium was too powerful for the protagnists to use and still have tension in the story, though, since I don't think I remember Vin burning it past the end of the first book.

I think I'm headed on to Warbreaker next. Is that one as good as Mistborn, or should I pick up a different one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I finished the mistborn trilogy last night, and I have to say it's impressive how much every little detail came together at the end. The earring and Spook's pewter were both big "loving duh, saw that coming a while ago" things, but I liked how the Kandra/Atium thing turned out. Actually, the whole Atium arc in general was great. I've heard people say the whole ending was foreshdowed by the first 100 or so pages, but I can't remember that part well enough to know if that's right or not. I wouldn't be shocked, though.Definitely a big fan.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Ika posted:

the new mistborn book is coming out this year, but its admittedly rather short.

I think it's supposed to be around 400 or so pages, last I heard. I'm pretty psyched for it, it'll be cool to see how he handles Allomancy with the higher tech stuff. Even if I'm still a little dissapointed there's no Spook as a mistborn sequel. I don't really get why the end of the mistborn trilogy had Sazed as god being like "Hey Spook, you're a mistborn now, k?" and then nothing's really going to come from it. Eh, maybe it'll come up as some sort of historical thing in the sequels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dammit, just started on Hero of Ages and, being on a school trip and incredibly busy, have no time to read it outside of bus trips. I can sense the Sanderson Avalanche coming though. Mistborn owns.

Once I hit the halfway point in all three books in the trilogy, I literally read straight to the end in one go because I couldn't put it down. HoA, especially. Just wait, it's awesome. The ending was just one :drat: moment after another.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I like how Wax has his steel in whiskey.

I've always thought, the Allomancers in Mistborn must be raging alcoholics. Metal is polar, alcohol is nonpolar, they won't dissolve each other. But they're always carrying their metals in alcohol "solutions" they down all the time. Why use alcohol? They must be drunks.
Edit: The fact that Wax is a coinshot/steelpusher+ able to make himself heavier/lighter at will is gonna be pretty awesome. There's a lot you can do with that combination..

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Yes there are and they are quite good!

But literally nobody who says a fantasy series should be animated is talking about anything other than anime.
I doubt Genndy Tartakovsky would do it, but a Mistborn series with the Samurai Jack type style in terms of how he uses movement and all that would be amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Haraksha posted:

Not sure I'm digging this. It's a little too wink and nudge for my tastes, like we're supposed to be in on the joke about the steam-punk stuff. "He grabbed his REVOLVERS and put on his BOWLER HAT that he wore with a DUSTER. Heh heh."

I got a more western-y vibe from everything that wasn't Wax-related. Wasn't there even a line in the prologue about how weird it was he was wearing that stuff? The over-the-top dandy aspect fits with what I'd expect from a descendant of Breeze, anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Dramatika posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

I don't know if it was atium per se, since though there could be some left from Zane's caches, and I think Marsh has some extra, I doubt it would be enough for someone to realize they're an Atium misting. From the line about seeing God/Death/The Survivvor, though, he might have some sort of secondhand use of whatever Ruin powered Atium with.

Haraksha posted:

The thing with Western and Victorian is that they occurred at the same time. The fancy cities, such as Elend, are going to have a Victorian feel, and the rugged outskirts, like Weathering, will have the more Old West vibe.

The men at the party were described as wearing suits with tailcoats, and the women had "narrow waists and dresses with many folds". That comes across as way more Victorian than the Western duster he was wearing while out in the Roughs.

So, yes, it has both, but that's not surprising given that the two worlds existed at the same time. Wax is our guy who's caught between them.
Yeah, when I posted that I somehow hadn't realized there was another chapter up besides the prologue. Chapter 1 was pretty Victorian-esque. I'm kind of getting a vague Arcanum vibe from the mix of the magic and the technology, though I'd love to see more of a western focus. I'm not usually big on steampunk/victorian stuff. It looks like it could be pretty cool, though, and the twinborn combinations are a nice trade for not having any mistborn anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Dramatika posted:

Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

I was just looking through the preview again, and it says that Tan stole a shipment of bendalloy, which according to Wikipedia's mistborn article lets people compress time in a bubble around them, so that's probably what happened, actually.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I feel like any sort of real time game would be a bitch to actually play just from a controls standpoint. I can't think of a good way to target which piece of metal to push/pull on, for instance. Id still probably end up at least trying to play the poo poo out of it, because it definitely has a lot of potential.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Affi posted:

Quick (?) question about Alloy of Law

The main character can allomantically push metal by burning steel plus he can make himself lighter/heavier with Feruchemy. Can he make himself weigh several times his own weight in order to make his pushings that much more effective?

I recall in Mistborn you had to have an anchor, can he be his own anchor? If so then he (walking around 3/4ths lighter most all the time) has probably saved up a lot of weight and should be able to push like a motherfucker.

OR!

Would his body not be able to withstand such an increased weight? I can't remember if Sazed used pewter at the same time or not when he made himself weigh so much as to crush Koloss?

Sazed was tapping strength to make himself able to move his increased weight. Wax couldn't anchor himself, since there'd be nothing to push off of, but he could push much heavier things while increasing his weight, or use smaller things as anchors if he makes himself weigh less. It's like a newton's 3rd law type thing, where when they push there's an equal and opposite push back, and one thing's gotta move.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

MajesticMonkey posted:

Another quick question about Alloy of Law.

How come Wax can only use Feruchemy to change his weight (mass?)? That allomantic powers grow weaker over generations was established in the original trilogy, but I dont remember anything about feruchemy being likewise affected. As far as I can recall all the feruchemist(?) could use all of the feruchemy powers....

If I remember right, the only Feruchemists were from Terris who did a lot to hide that it still existed, and it wouldn't have spread out as much as allomancy did prior to the original books. Once they ended up intermixing with the non-Feruchemists, I guess the same thing happened as did with Allomancy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

404GoonNotFound posted:

According to that giant chart poster in Sanderson's store, Cadmium and Bendalloy are able to alter the flow of time in a small area around the user. Cadmium makes time slower, Bendalloy speeds it up. These would be "the two unknown metals" mentioned by Sazed in the Hero of Ages epilogue.

I wonder if there are any bendalloy feruchemists, or if they all died from heavy metal poisoning from being in contact with the stuff all day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

What I really want from this book, but I'm not sure we'll get, is a (spoiler from Mistborn trilogy) Sazed point of view. I want to know what all he's been while he's been Harmony for 300 years. And if Marsh is still around, why can't/won't Sazed control him?

I kind of want another set of chapters from Marsh's perspective, to see what his link to Sazed is like and what his time as Ruin's puppet left him as

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I just finished WoK today, and hot:drat: was that ending amazing. Kaladin vs. the Parshendi was way badass, and now I'm pumped to see Bridge Four and Dalinar kick rear end in the next one. I think this series might end up better than Mistborn. .

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

arioch posted:

I'm more surprised the Inquisitor is bare-chested. I'd figure there'd be more spikes all over the body, but I guess that's a latter-part-of-the-trilogy Ruin innovation thing.

I think even for the first book there were more spikes in the Inquisitors, since they had all the powers of a mistborn (one power per spike) and at least the power of storing up health with feruchemy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

A Nice Boy posted:

Heh, he just posted on Facebook teasing about the new WoT book. Apparently he's 40 percent in, and enough major characters have died that he's had to keep a running list, and was teasing spoilering it.

I misread that as WoK and got really excited even though I know the next Stormlight book is way far out. I just finished WoK last weekend and I'm loving jonesing, man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

L-O-N posted:

I can forgive him for that in the first book of a ten book series since they might show up in later books.

Also, the chapter with the random spearman was a great introduction for Kaladin and an awesome setup for later. I thought it was the best use of a oneoff PoV character I've read in a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I just realized the two lawmen of Alloy of law are "Wax" and "Wayne". As in wax and wane. That's pretty awesome. Not a bad pun, considering how Sanderson usually does witty. Or tries to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Considering wax can push bullets off course, Wayne can heal himself at will, and poo poo's already gone sideways, there's worse courses of action.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Liesmith posted:

yeah somebody a couple posts up praised it as an example of good Sanderson humor. That's literally Stockholm Syndrome talking though

Comparitively good. He didnt rub it in like he usually does with a big ok "LOOK HOW WITTY THIS IS!!!" sign.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Liesmith posted:

It's OK Ugly In The Morning, you're safe now. We'll get you the help you need

I think what's-her-face in Warbreaker's dialogue broke me a little on the inside. I won't even get started on Shallan.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

TenaciousJ posted:

Did I gloss over something? The names Ati and Leras aren't bringing anything to mind.

Ati actually came up in one of the chapter markers for Way Of Kings, where it said he was a kind and generous man before he got his shard and went all apeshit.
(Way of kings spoiler?)
Odium was always a dick, though, even before he got his shard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm re-reading Way of Kings, and I'm paying a lot more attention to the chapter headers this time around.

Is the second batch of headers--that is, not the set of peoples' dying words--Hoid, talking to <someone> about whatever it is he's doing in regards to the Shards?

Yeah, one of them is definitely him talking about how Ruin used to be a nice guy before he was Ruin, and that Odium was a total cock before he was Odium. I kind of vaguely think Hoid might be a depowered Adon...The big god dude, after losing his shards, or at the very least held a shard at some point..

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 6, 2011

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

subx posted:

It's pretty scary how easy it is to go through 5-6 books in a month when you can download whatever/whenever.

Always be on the lookout for deals on books, it can save you a bunch.

I have a long commute every day, so this was crazy magnified for me. I went through 12 books in September. At least a lot of them were on sale.

I found out Sanderson is doing a booksigning near me on 11/16, so I'm probably buying Alloy of Law in hardcover. I can't wait to read it. Come out already!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

After I finished AoL today, I was flipping through the first book when something caught my eye. So, the (Alloy of Law/Next mistborn trilogy spoiler) Trell thing that Miles mentions as he's being executed? The diety in a religion Sazed tries to convert Vin to in Mistborn 1. They're the ones who worshipped stars. God dammit Sanderson, how do you keep track of all this poo poo?.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I just finished Alloy of Law and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Wax's uncle was a kandra.

But Kandra have a direct link to Sazed through their spikes, and I don't think he'd take kindly to the kind of poo poo he was doing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I was at his book signing tonight, and I was right! The "Worship Trell" thing Miles said was from the old religion that Sazed was telling Vin about in Mistborn. My theory is that Terrismen who know an old religion of Trell (since who else would know the old religions?) will spark a holy war, and have been studying nicrosil (the last metal, and the only one not yet explained) feruchemy in secret.. Just a guess, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

omnibobb posted:

It starts off with a lot of world building. But it gets so drat good.

Yeah, it's more expository, but the Kalidan and Dalinar chapters rock, as do the random one-off worldbuilding characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Capntastic posted:

I don't really care about exciting fights for the sake of there being fights, but as I said, in IB:A he builds up this big sort of challenge by way of an enemy palace full of tough as heck monsters and then skips even the barest description of the fights, and it's kind of a let down. It kind of cheats the reader out of the pay off, I feel. Does he do that sort of stuff often?

Pretty much never, actually. Whenever you'd think "Awww yeah, it's on!", it really is on. Mistborn books especially.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Maytag posted:

I thought Alloy of Law was pretty bland and even more bordering on YA than Mistborn was. The characters were all obnoxious and I agree with what was said earlier about what an action movie it was- mass killing of faceless henchmen and big explosions.

Sanderson is still writing like a fresh-faced young author- big ideas, lots of enthusiasm, not much depth of character.

That said I really respect what he's doing and his dedication and I think he deserves our support and our money. Just lose the hard on guys, he has a long way to come as an author.

I've felt that Mistborn is more his "concept" series- Magic physics! What happens if we move it to different technology!- and WoK is where he really lets his characters come through. Dalinar, for all his cliches, is probably my favorite so far because even if he's "badass" for a fantasy novel, his self-doubt about his honor/seizures is really well done and he makes some hard choices. Meanwhile, mistborn is a really well-imagined Harry Potter that loves the left side of the periodic table.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

This Post Sucks posted:

It's only got the 8 base metals too. :(

I like how the new 8 metals were all things that they didn't have the technical aptitude to produce. He actually picked a good setup for numbers 9-16. I'm not surprised to have them absent in a prequel.

That said, I was hoping for a studio that had made some decent titles at some point, drat. My hopes for this are pretty low.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

Or is this fantasy?

(Yes. Yes it is.)

When the Sanderson Avalanche part hits, will you be caught in a landslide of escape from reality?

:v:

I really can't wait for Stormlight 2, the first was way more than I expected for a 10 book series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm so happy someone got that. I bet you liked Lightsong's humor too, didn't you. :)

:hfive:

Not gonna lie, as much as I roll my eyes at Sanderson's humor, I did enjoy Lightsong. Partly because everyone thought he was a douche, partly because I've been known to make similar jokes from time to time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It's not so much that it was incomplete, it's that he introduced a new plot thread that then went unresolved literally in the last scene.

So I'd like a sequel, but yeah. More Stormlight first. :D

whoops, gotta ninja-fix those spoiler tags

He has it planned, it references one of the old religions from the first Mistborn, and I asked him if they were connected at a book signing. He said they were, but obviously couldn't say how, exactly. Let me find the old post I made and I'll edit it in here.

EDIT:
Post 1:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

After I finished AoL today, I was flipping through the first book when something caught my eye. So, the (Alloy of Law/Next mistborn trilogy spoiler) Trell thing that Miles mentions as he's being executed? The diety in a religion Sazed tries to convert Vin to in Mistborn 1. They're the ones who worshipped stars. God dammit Sanderson, how do you keep track of all this poo poo?.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was at his book signing tonight, and I was right! The "Worship Trell" thing Miles said was from the old religion that Sazed was telling Vin about in Mistborn. My theory is that Terrismen who know an old religion of Trell (since who else would know the old religions?) will spark a holy war, and have been studying nicrosil (the last metal, and the only one not yet explained) feruchemy in secret.. Just a guess, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

- and in the end surprisingly dark. The wild chalklings being vague nightmareish monster-scribbles that crawl along the floor and get into your skin and devour you alive ends up working a lot better than I thought when I heard of 'drawn chalk monsters'

I didn't really know what to think when I first heard that, but if it works, I'll buy it. The lady reads a fair bit of YA stuff on the train, and usually bums my kindle for it, so at least one of us will like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

nucleicmaxid posted:

Just turn on weight absorption so your ship becomes truly weightless, and it'd be super easy to launch.

Then, when in space, you can do almost zero energy launches because you can render your ship's weight nothing at any point in time, such as during initial speed gains. Also, if you have a big enough feruchemical battery, or some other weightless process, you could go the speed of light with 'realistic' (haha) attainable energy usage.

edit: It could also create some amazing weapons, if you temporarily removed the weight, got it moving to like 99% the speed of light, then put the weight back and have it slam into something.

It could also be used to create unlimited energy, since you need substantially less energy to get it moving than it puts out when it hits.

Mistborn Effect?

If I remember right that's basically exactly what Element Zero did in Mass Effect.

Also, just started Words of Radiance, and it took a bit to get going but I really like it so far. This might be the first "Gigantic endless fantasy series" that I finish since the Dark Tower.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

WoK and WoR have both felt like the writing is way worse for the first 100 pages or so, and I can't put my finger on why, exactly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Szeth's tutorial levels.

It lasts way longer than that, though. The prose just feels off for a while, and it's not like it's Sanderson's strength in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Xemloth posted:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the second mistborn trilogy was going to start with a misting SWAT team against a mistborn serial killer

I need that in my life.

Holy poo poo, that sounds amazing.

Jorenko posted:

The Wax books are not part of the original Mistborn plan, which is:
1. medieval fantasy trilogy
2. modern fantasy trilogy
3. space fantasy trilogy

The Wax and Wayne books are 1.5: westerns!

Yeah, it was planned to be a one-off, but Sanderson being Sanderson it kinda grew a little bit, because he needs more stuff to write on airplanes, I guess. It's a great setting, though, so I'll take it.