Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished WoR. I powered through the last 300 pages in one sitting. That was seriously his best ending yet, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krypsis posted:

Kind of annoyed Jasnah came back (

I kinda figured that was happening. He makes such a point of Stormlight healing terrible wounds, and the land/sea inversion in Shadesmar, that it all kind of clicked into place halfway through

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xachariah posted:

The only names in Sanderson's books that have made me roll my eyes are Wax and Wayne in Alloy of Law. Maybe Newcago in Steelheart too? Other than that he seems mostly fine for naming, far better than many other fantasy authors I have read.

I thought Wax and Wayne was kind of clever, I didn't even notice the joke until I was talking to one of my friends about it and we both realized at the same time.

Also, was anyone surprised that Sanderson had Adolin mention that he's "shat in his shardplate" in WoR? Yeah, I mean, he didn't say "poo poo" per se, but it's the first really profane thing I've seen in his books.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobsterpillar posted:

I assumed that was Hoid that he tells the story about. Time dilation, maybe?

Demoux is an Atium burner, so maybe he got chummy with Harmony and got atium feruchemy, so can do what the lord ruler does.

I thought he was a full Mistborn, since he was sick for 16 days instead of one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd probably call them main characters rather than protagonists in a lot of cases, since in many novels they'd actually be the antagonists if it weren't for them getting the most screen time. KJ Parker really gets on my nerves for just this reason. I love his writing style so much, I really enjoy his worldbuilding and his plotting, but I can't get on with his novels because of just how unlikeable the main characters are.

The Folding Knife was interesting in that the main character was looking out for number one and making things better for everyone else as a side effect (for most of the book, at least...). A good read for Sanderson fans, too, it's pretty funny and has that whole Avalanche thing going without a dragging middle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

insider posted:

Yea its crazy what an actual work ethic will accomplish.

Him and Stephen King both treat writing as an actual full time job and it shows with their level of output. It’s crazy compared to a lot of authors who put out maybe one book every two years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I believe he said it himself that he was like, "I wanna be extremely self indulgent with Stormlight, and drat it am I ever"

I can take Sanderson’s self indulgence a lot easier than a fair few other authors. It helps that he’s actually really good at putting details into the world building and magic systems that can become incredibly relevant later, so when he goes and worldbuilds for a while it doesn’t feel like it’s diverting from the plot all that much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

insider posted:

Has anyone ever asked him if the worst were to happen (hit by a bus, car crash, terminal illness, etc) would he allow another author to finish the Cosmere like Jordan did with WoT?

The fact he can estimate how long it would take him to finish the whole thing at least points to him having notes/an outline for the whole thing. Means the odds are better than most authors.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing I liked about Sazed’s studies in book 2 was He reads something about Trell in there, and I was really surprised when that one or two sentence bit came back in a big way much, much later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Surface Detail by Iain M Banks is a good sci-fi version of “hell is a hosed up idea” if you’re looking for one of those.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I like the era 2 stuff more than the original trilogy. The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages were very plodding for the most part and some of the characterization seemed off in places like they were shoehorned to make sure the plot hit certain beats.

Also this

Agreed. I like the actual plot of the original trilogy more but the pacing of book 2 was a goddamn train wreck. The structure and actual prose of the new trilogy is miles ahead and the mistborn gunfights rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

My complaint with Era 2 is that because most of the characters are just Mistings they have much less interesting usages of their powers. It's just a lot of, "Make myself light and shotgun jump around in the air". Generally not a fan of guns-n-wizards in general.

By the end of Bands of Mourning I was definitely excited for the next book, even the next trilogy, but I still think Final Empire is my favorite.

It did make up for that somewhat with the combinations of allomancy and feruchemy but I did miss having full mistborn characters most of the time. Though I did appreciate the new powers from bendalloy and whatnot being a thing now.

I can see why he got rid of mistborn being a thing, because it lets him give characters feruchemy without them having an “I win” button to have to write around but drat if it isn’t kind of dissapointing.