Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

This is gonna own.

Is that the unnamed urban fantasy he's got 53% done on his blog? He's been working on that for like less than 2 months hasn't he? Guy's an absolute beast!

Guess he needed a book to come out in 2011 since AMoL is planned for early 2012 and was like I got a few months free, here's a novel.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

No, unless I'm mistaken, that's something completely different (a story about a pizza delivery guy with magical powers), meaning he's worked on *two* stories in his "off time".

I wish I had his work ethic.

What? I've been following him since he got signed on by Jordan's widow a couple of years ago and I don't remember ever saying he was working on a Mistborn sequel. Amazing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ElMudo posted:

Since he calls it a short novel here, this must be the Mistborn short story that he called "likey" in his big blog post on future books. In other words, this will only be a teaser for what we might see in the next Mistborn trilogy. I'm psyched to see how allomantic powers, even weakened ones, will interplay with technological advancements.

How short is short? 200 pages?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Nice Boy posted:

I'm reading Wok for the first time and I just got to another one of these:

Someone: "You've got quite a mouth on you sometimes."
Shallan: "Only sometimes? Where is it the rest of the time?"

*pounds face into desk*

I could totally see myself making that response to that statement. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Brandon Sanderson: He's written more than anyone in the last 5 years"?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Sanderson's set up a new forum. I can't believe I was able to register as Kaladin!

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/

Waiting another year for The High Prince of War is gonna suck. :(

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

patricius posted:

Finished WoK today after a marathon afternoon session. What a great climax. I'm glad we got some resolution to certain plot threads while leaving enough hanging to set up the story for the next leg of the series, and dealing with GRRM has made a year wait seem not that bad by comparison, especially since we know Sanderson is good for his deadlines. The appearance of the Herald at the end was a surprise, and I kept expecting Dalinar to get GRRMed right until the very end, and while that's still a possibility (especially with how the last Szeth chapter ends) I'm kind of glad it wasn't resolved in this book.

Brandon has said that Dalinar will probably be the main character of book 2 and that if so it will be titled The High Prince of War

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IRQ posted:

A lot of what came out so fast was written before he started really getting published. He's said a few times that the pace will slow down as that stuff is all out now.

He recently posted on facebook that it took him twice as long to write X number of words for the Wheel of Time as it takes him to write his own works, so he'll be back up to speed once he finishes A Memory of Light.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

I think the issue he ran into was that he wanted to write a Fantasy version of Snow Crash, because he's a huge fan of Snow Crash, but I can see how that would be difficult to pull off, especially with his writing style.

Snow Crash?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing ever goes into where or how he learned these leadership skills, really. Nothing ever explains his extremely powerful will.

He learned them in the army he joined with his brother.

Some people are just strong willed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

neongrey posted:

Bets on how many books he writes on the trip?

He'll write "The Winds of Winter"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

This is a dumb thing that people sometimes say when you compare something they like to something widely believed to be high quality. In your mind, you have these categories of "good" things and "just for fun" things and for some odd reason you invent a separate scale for each.
\

I've read lots of literature in college that was objectively good and intellectually stimulating but which I did not enjoy whatsoever. I can definitely understand people wanting to put good books and fun books on different scales.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

No, the others were bad. Shallan? Horrid!

But Wit was a humorous hipster, hyper-expanding the horizons of horrible jokes before it was cool!
Nobody else in the book found Shallan funny. She was definitely supposed to be that way, the Wit I think was more failure on Sanderson's part.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

I really wasn't looking for it, but in Chapter 34 of KoD, Furyk walks in on a grouping of Seanchan leaders and kind of runs through how they're all physically pretty distinct in coloring. So apparently Seanchan is rather gigantic and unified across quite a variety of people.

The Westlands are quite big (roughly 6 millions sq miles), but Seanchan is bigger and unified. Not counting the Lesser Blight, Seanchan runs from about 40 degrees north to 40 degrees south.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 23, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Good news, Radiance is planned to be shorter than Way of Kings.

Bad? news: It's currently 1650 pages in draft form.
That just means he'll have a head start on book 3! :downs:

Tunicate posted:

Apparently they're haggling over the date in January atm.

That's way to far away.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just finished Words of Radiance and wow...I thought that was his best book by far. Sanderson continues to consistently improve.

Gonna read this whole thread to see what people have to say, before I go further in depth.

EDIT:

Fezz posted:

That excerpt was posted on Tor.com.

In any case: The guy with the white scar has shown up a few times prior to that. Most notably in the two prologues and the Ym interlude. Speculation is that he's one of the heralds, the one linked to the just attribute and has gone crazy over the thousands of years and is now doing a sort of dark justice by killing new knight radiants in order to prevent the coming desolation. Similar to the herald who is going around destroying art from Way of Kings.
I am dumb. :saddowns:

While I figured out Judge Dred was a Herald during his appearance before Seth it never crossed my mind that lady might be a Herald.

I'm going to have to reread all their chapters now.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 31, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I found Alloy of Law and Words of Radiance much funnier than his previous works. Since my sense of humor hasn't changed in the last couple of years I guess he's finally getting better at that. :colbert:

EDIT: Changed Way of Kings to Words of Radiance

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 2, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WOR If the Spren can never really die and come back to life if their Knight regains his honor, then surely a Shard can never truly die either, merely be broken or merged with another.

I wonder if Odium merely dealt Honor the final blow. Unlike Ruin, Preservation or Cultivation, Honor is not based on a physical process but on an ideal. If the collective beliefs and ideals of people can so strongly effect the makeup of reality as is explained by Jasnah, then surely the betrayal of nine Heralds and then the Knights Radiant would effect Honor quite negatively, weakening him severely.

Conversely, if Kaladin and Dalinar bring honor back into this world, could not Honor be resurrected, or at the least his splinters greatly strengthened?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I haven't posted in this thread since 2,800 posts ago, but I noticed when preordering Oathbringer that there's a Stormlight novella coming out in the fall as well.

Since it's been out in anthology already, should I read it before Oathbringer, after, or not at all? What do you guys recommend?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It takes place between WoR and Oathbringer, so read it first. It's a Lift novel, so if you found her obnoxious, you may not want to read it.

Edit:Is that a Wheel of Time username, or just a coincidence?

Will do. I loved her. Yes.

socialsecurity posted:

Are you talking about Edgedancer? Yeah read it before Oathbringer.

Yeah, it's being released on kindle as a stand alone in October.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I reread The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and then powered through Edgedancer and Oathbringer in five days.

Wow. Edgedancer, went down like a fine appetizer. Lots of cool lore and some interesting plot development. Oathbringer though, that's the real deal. Every bit as good as Words of Radiance if not more. So much awesome stuff going down in this book, the culmination of Dalinar's arc was superb.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyways, for more interesting Adolin stuff.

It's clear that he's going to ressurect his sword Maya and become an Edgedancer right?

The sword told him his name and he was able to summon it in seven heartbeats instead of ten. That's a clear indication that she's starting to heal.

He remembers those left behind from that little boy in the battle with the Thunderclast, to the prostitute he defends in Sadeas camp in The Way of Kings.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
By the way, this really peaked my interest in the State of the Sanderson update

quote:

Dark One

My eternal “like Harry Potter from Voldemort’s viewpoint” fantasy sequence is still hanging out, buzzing at the sides of my brain. I wrote a really spectacular outline for it this summer, one I love quite a bit, and it got both television graphic novel interest—but these are deals still very much in the works, so I can’t talk about them yet.

I’m pleased with what I have though, and feel this series has moved for the first time in a long while. Note that I did end up pulling it out of the Cosmere, as it ended up working better as a dark secondary world fantasy than it did as a Cosmere YA series. It went both older, and more twisted, in the current outline. Hopefully, by next year’s State of the Sanderson we’ll have something more solid to announce.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think that will be the twist. He will definitely revive his blade, but it's not guaranteed that he will bond her. He might become a Radiant of a different order.

I don't think he'd be able to revive the blade if he wasn't bond compatible with it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Just take a moment to picture him as a squire to Lift. :allears:

Actually, given the descriptions of the orders by the preface to the chapters and Nale himself, Adolin is far more representative of the Edgedancers of old than Lift.

quote:

When Simol was informed of the arrival of the Edgedancers, a concealed consternation and terror, as is common in such cases, fell upon him; although they were not the most demanding of orders, their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

You also need to restore the bond to the same level as when it was broken, using the same exact words that were used for the oaths the first time.

This seems too percise. It's been almost 2000 years since the recreance. Even if the person who held the blade before was Alethi, languages change too much in that time for that to be possible

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ekeog posted:

Depends on whether Lift's thing was due to the intervention of Cultivation, rather than just the Nightwatcher. Dalinar's fading block was definitely her plan, so maybe Lift's aging is the same way.

Wyndle says that Lift has been in contact with his mother, who I assume is Cultivation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Strumpy posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-long-awaited-wheel-of-time-tv-series-is-heading-to-1829463189

Hopefully they make it a really tight 4-5 season thing and cut the fat + adapt it where it makes sense. Good casting for matt too also please.

Although I liked all the books, they can probably cut most of book 10 down into a single episode since a lot of it is reaction by the entire cast to the end of book 10.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks good on twitter at least

As summarized by a guy I know on another forum
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1039906603527417856

quote:

1. Rand & Elayne/Min/Aviendha won't be like in the books. Judkins is more interested in polyamory than polygamy, and from his answer it seems he's already put some thought into this plot point.

2. He wants to follow everyone's storylines as fully as possible.

3. All writers will write for all characters.

4. There will be "pillow friends out the wazoo."

5. Judkins' mom has a "who killed Asmodean?" bumper sticker on her car. :D

6. While the world, gender dynamics and magic are all really fantastic, the heart of the thing is the characters.

7. He really likes Logain, and intends to expand his role.

8. He's going to be condensing events in the latter middle section of the books :p

9. Regarding the shadowspawn, he wants to go with practical effects as much as possible.

10. Judkins really likes Jordan's habit re: foreshadowing. This way stuff can be set up seasons in advance.

11. The five scenes from the first two books he's most excited at the thought of adapting: "Tam and Rand in the Westwood, Winternight, Tarwin's Gap, Toman Head, Egwene being leashed"

12. There is precisely one (1) braid tug in the pilot.

13. He can't wait to write Rand trapped in the box.

14. He thinks Egwene is going to rock.

15. If possible, he wants to avoid stuff like combining two characters into one. He likes the bigness of the world.

16. He really hopes he can do Rand's trip into Rhuidean justice.

17. He's not looking to cut major plotlines, more like reshuffle and repurpose.

18. Dumai's Wells is another event he's really excited at the thought of writing.

19. Nynaeve is the character he finds it hardest to write for so far. :D

20. He won't provide firm answers on what channeling will look like onscreen until he's discussed it more fully with a director.

21. He can't wait to see "a whole bunch of warrior gingers." Aiel, here we come.

22. It's hard to cast one horse for a bunch of scenes, so it looks like Bela will be a team effort aided by horse-makeup.

23. His all-time favourite moment of the series is Egwene's final scene.

24. He's going to add stuff that happened "off-camera" in the books.

25. He won't talk about dream casting, since that would make whoever is actually cast feel like a second choice.

26. Tel'aran'rhiod is going to be on the show in a big way.

27. Padan Fain is going to look less obviously "this guy is not on the level" than he did in the first book.

28. He wants the series to feel adult but accessible.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sanderson's clearly used hemalurgic spikes on those two to steal their writing powers.

:stonk:
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1211959143541563392
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1211921125271191553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leng posted:

He's also put the progress bar for Stormlight 4 Draft 2.0 - and it's already set to 40%. Time to start my third reread from the very beginning!

What? How?