Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished the first Mistborn novel and while I probably don't have anything to worry, I heard the next two aren't quite as good, but I feel like blind buying them at B&N tomorrow, so do they get a goon recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syphon posted:

I agree with that one guy. I loved the first Mistborn (and REALLY loved Way of Kings) but books 2 and 3 weren't anywhere near as good.

I thought Book 2 took a very long time to get anywhere, but that ending was Red Wedding worthy in how awesome it was. Then book 3 took a while to get off the ground and a lot of the book was just sieging but once they got out of that it was pretty cool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maytag posted:

We can never openly discuss these books because new people are born all the time.

I think only using spoilers for the first month or two after a book is released is pretty reasonable.

On the other hand, the Red Wedding.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dmccaff posted:

Just finished the Way of Kings. Thought it was quite sluggish up until the last quarter, at which point I couldn't put it down until I finished it.
My only real criticism would have to be Kaladins never ending self pity and doubt in his internal monologue, which I found quite irritating at times.

Considering reading the Mistborn trilogy now as I have a thirst for some more Sanderson.

Be warned that the second book is basically a lot like how you describe Way of Kings, except that the payoff is moreso in the last two or three chapters then the last quarter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's a basic spoilered synopsis, you can learn a lot more at the 17th shard if you want. http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/Main_Page

Essentially all the books share the same cosmere. Their different magic systems all came from a single God called Adolnasium. Adolnasium split into 16 different shards each of which represent a magic system. Mistborn had Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy, or 3 of the Shards of Adolnasium. Elantris has AonDor and whatever the evil Derethi monks used to etch symbols into their bones, not sure if it has a name yet. Warbreaker has Awakening. Finally, Way of Kings (Roshar) has Surgebinding, and Voidbinding, though we don't know too too much about these yet. There is a charecter named Hoid who shows up in each of his books in some fashion who seems to be able to travel through the worlds by using the Shadesmar we saw in Way of Kings.

There is a hell of lot more that I could get into, but its best to read the books yourself and then sift through the coopermind on the 17th Shard to learn more.

If that's true then my question is who has the shard of Feruchemy?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, after finishing Way of Kings, I have no idea how he's going to stretch this into a 10 book epic, but I eagerly await what comes next.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aggro posted:

I liked that Alloy of Law felt like a badly directed buddy cop movie.

I only wish it had been longer, although with what I don't know (maybe a better villain than literally a regenerator or something).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, I know. But I stalled long enough. :)

Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Legion-ebook/dp/B0099D4KEG

One button purchases, nooooo :negative:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Above Our Own posted:

I think that's just you defending the author by saying he made Wit intentionally unfunny instead of trying to make him clever and failing completely. I don't buy that he meant to do it because all the other "clever" characters are the exact same way.

No, that's like saying GRRM is bad at humor because Patchface isn't funny.

Both him and Wit personify the "wise fool" archetype, where someone who normally spouts nonsense has a lot more knowledge of the workings of the world/future than the smart folks.

e: VVV Yeah, but my point is that neither character is supposed to be funny. If you want to point at bad Sanderson humor look at Shallan and her pseudo-Victorian humor. VVV

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This Post Sucks posted:

I just started Elantris yesterday and after about 300 pages, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know why people have been saying it takes a while to get in to? Maybe it's like the Mistborn ones where the middle drags a bit?

It's because the flashy stuff doesn't happen until the end of the book. If you're the type of person who's entertained by a man struggling with his faith and a guy rebuilding a cursed city (I was) then you should enjoy most of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just finished Way of Kings, loved it, but count me in with the "Wit is horrible" crowd. This character is in every Sanderson book (seriously, Elend/Lightsong/Wit are all the same character dropped into different circumstances/life stages) and for me at least it gets more painful to read, not less, with each new series.

Good lord is Sanderson good at worldbuilding and providing interesting and believable protagonists, though.

He's actually literally in every book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

keiran_helcyan posted:

I love the idea that Sanderson comes up with his book endings first, then constructs the rest of the book to reach that point.

That would explain a lot about how his books are paced.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ulio posted:

Thanks I guess this will be more clear when I actually read it.
The second question's also sort of answered in the first book, or at least the reason why he's lived for a thousand years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm about halfway through the second book now and it's...not great. The first book was pretty consistent so this is a bit disappointing, I'm just not enjoying it very much. Maybe the first book coasted on the Kelsier character too much, I don't know but it's really boring with the focus being mostly on Vin and her character isn't anywhere near as interesting this time. I hope this gets better, avalanche or not.

The second book is really not fulfilling until you see the last Sazed chapter, then it's awesome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

soru posted:

What are you talking about?

Yeah, everything in Alloy of Law I can think of is either backed up from earlier in the text or from previous books (the whole compounding thing).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quiggy posted:

So I've been reading Elantris and it's kind of slow and boring. I know it's his first book so it won't be perfect, but please tell me that there's still a decent avalanche once I get in far enough.

I liked it, but I personally found the mystery of "why did the power go away" to be sufficiently captivating, along with the whole "guy tortured about his faith" angle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quantum Toast posted:

Yeah, this is a guy who takes a break from writing books by writing different books. I'd be surprised if he can burn out.

Dude is going to live to 95 and in his retirement is going to finish Tolkien's mythos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

Well duh. Everyone knows that if it's in the future it isn't 'magic', it's 'psionics'.

Starcraft is probably the best example of this. Space elves with floating crystals fight space bugs that can shape shift and both of them fight just normal humans that have shunned not-magic users.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The known ones for each book are in the back of each Mistborn novel. Alloy of Law has all of them and what a bunch of the combinations do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This has probably been reported but there's a new GRRM & friends short story collection coming out, with Sanderson and goon favorite Jim Butcher as well:

It comes out December 3, I might have to pick this up.

Story list:

quote:

• “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie – A Red Country story
• “Nora’s Song” by Cecelia Holland
• “Bombshells” by Jim Butcher – A Harry Dresden story
• “Wrestling Jesus” by Joe R. Lansdale
• “Neighbours” by Megan Lindholm (who also writes as Robin Hobb)
• “Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell” by Brandon Sanderson
• “A Queen in Exile” by Sharon Kay Penman
• “The Girl in the Mirror” by Lev Grossman – A Magicians story
• “Virgins” by Diana Gabaldon – An Outlander story

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 8, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Superstring posted:

Aren't Eragon and it's sequels supposed to be kinda bad?

Eragon and the first sequel are very heavily based on the first two Star Wars films, I never read the other two.

You can also tell that he wouldn't have been published if not for his parents.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

senae posted:

Well it likely would be person driven. Like, I could see a modern era mistborn having both cheap fossil fuel engines for personal use and more expensive, but less wasteful iron/steel engines being manned by a team of the appropriate metalburners. You could look at how having pewter burners (or pewter compounders) would change existing industries. How would people compete in law enforcement? Or construction? What sports exists.

What I'm saying is that there's a ton of material in mistborn even without considering atium.

So basically we're going to get Dune but with metals instead of Spice?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treeboy posted:

My wife and I enjoy discussing potential actors for our favorite Sanderson stories. Recently we've been trying to figure out who could ever play Vin in a TV series or feature length movie and I keep coming back to Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor). She's obviously much older than 17, but hollywood doesn't care about that kinda stuff.

Jennifer Lawrence would also be an easy pick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just finished the first book of Mistborn. Are you saying that I should just stop now? I really liked the first one though....

The second book is basically the first half of Captain America 2 up until he discovers that Hydra infiltrated and controls SHIELD. It's one long buildup for a reveal that retroactively makes a lot of stuff awesome. The third book is sort of a culmination of everything and it does tie everything up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm about 60% of the way through the second Mistborn book and man has this thing been a huge drag. Like the whole book has been them sitting around doing almost nothing. I'm so close to just dropping this series right here and now.

Please tell me SOMETHING happens to make this book worthwhile soon.

The ending makes up for it.

As for me, I've just finished Words of Radiance and I can't really wait to see what happens next. As always, the battles were great and I don't think Eshonai actually died either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quantum Toast posted:

Fantasy Heist seems like a rare combination too, for that matter. There probably are a few besides The Final Empire, but I can't think of any.

Skin Game in about 5 days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huskalator posted:

Ugh I'm just over half way through and I'm just not enjoying the new Stormlight book. I'm finding it unbelievably slow. I'm just skipping 3 pages at a time until something interesting happens. Pretty much any time Kaladin is just hangin out with his bridge buddies gets skipped all the way through. I don't feel like I'm missing much.

EDIT: Not trying to be a total downer, I really like the world he created and that keeps me going I just feel at least the first half of the book could have been condensed a lot.

If you're not interested in class conflict then a lot of Kaladin's chapters are kinda meh but he has some pretty good ones before the avalanche starts. It's much more Shallan's show though, and both of their chapters get better when they meet up with each other (especially if you've been hating the Adolin rivalry Kaladin's got).

The interludes are also all pretty good although there's one with a child Radiant that's a little long.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khizan posted:

This is how I feel about basically all of Sanderson's stuff. In Warbreaker. the entire big war was seemingly averted at the last minute cause the guy went "Oh, here's my ancient invincible army, you can have it". In Elantris, the big end war was basically averted because at the last minute they all went "Oh, we have our powers back now and already know how to use them". Hero of Ages had "Oh, it's actually an entire army of atium mistings!" The Way of Kings sets up the betrayal of Dalinar and then Kaladin goes full anime and saves them. And then Kaladin does it again in Words of Radiance.

All of his endings seem to end up in a deus-ex-machina and so they all pretty much fall flat at the ending.

That's not really what happened in Words of Radiance. I mean yeah Kaladin did go full anime at the end but the only one he fought was the Assassin. The Parshendi army was fought with the human army and they only got out by the skin of their teeth from the two stormwalls colliding.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khizan posted:

My wording was unclear. I meant that one in a more generic "Kaladin went full anime and saved the day" kind of way.

But he didn't really save the day, he just saved Dalinar. In Way of Kings he gets all of the bridges reassigned to Dalinar which effectively saves all of their lives. If he hadn't been there in WoR one more guy would've died (albeit with a large focus on the story but that's beside the point) and the rest of the army probably would've made it to safety.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is book 3 or book 4 the Dalinar based book? I'm betting we find out more detail on the old magic in that book, right before it screws over him or someone close to him.

Book 3 is supposed to be Szeth, I though Book 4 was supposed to be Eshonai.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

senae posted:

A more elegant way to do that would be to make szeth explain a different binding each intermission, but that would probably be a bit straightforward for Sanderson

To be fair he basically did that in Words of Radiance with the Parshendi forms.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thespaceinvader posted:

He lays out the tiniest of tiny parts of the magic system at the beginning. Surgebinding is literally one of the two major abilities of one of the ten groups of magic users using one of the two (possibly three) magic systems on Roshar, which is itself a world in the Cosmere with a dozen or so other worlds, each of which has at least one, sometimes two, three or more different magics systems, many of which are often mis- or incompletely-understood.

It was by no means elegantly done, but it's not like it strips the mystery out of the books.

There's this too. Outside of the prologue and climax of Book 1 you find out jack poo poo about surgebinding and it's only into book 2 that you find even a sliver of understanding (and then Sanderson turns it on its head with the revelation that Szeth didn't need a Spren to surgebind because of his sword).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pile of brown posted:

You're a loving crazy person, a main pov character for five books dies in book five.

It's very unclear that they're dead (and very unlikely that they don't come back). In any case, stuff like the Red Wedding was foreshadowed a lot more heavily than (e.g.) Kelsier getting stabbed.

Actually the whole Kelsier thing is very equivalent to Ned Stark in a lot of ways.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Karnegal posted:

On a book note. I finished WoR and I wanted to know why people seem to be upset that Adolin killed Sadeas. Is it just an "honor" thing because at this point the dude has pretty much said he's angling to take his family out and has proven that he's willing to see thousands dead to accomplish that. I am 100% cool with him murdering the dude, though 'm sure the books will frame this as bad because the Knights Radiant wouldn't do such a thing. But as a reader, I'm not sure why people object to it.

It's because it came out of nowhere and that a significant part of the book was kind of devoted to that antagonist, even though there wasn't really much else you could do with him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Another Poster posted:

Just finished WoR. Feeling a little bit sad for Adolin. I liked him. At least I hoped we can see more Lift. Lift is full of awesomeness.

When is the next book planned to be release? Hope it's not 4 years between each.

Supposedly Spring of 2016, the delay between books 1 & 2 was reported as being due to him finishing up Wheel of Time.

e: He wants to have it out by fall of 2015 but his editor is thinking probably in 2016.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Dresden one is funny because there's a book where he goes through a monumental change (but it only lasts for that book) and they couldn't get the regular guy so you can pretend like the new guy is the protagonist in this new form.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ithaqua posted:

Meanwhile, I find the characters that use contemporary English expressions to be far more jarring. Like that character that used the word "awesome" constantly. That was so bad that when the preview chapter was posted, I was sure it was an early draft and the language would be fixed later.

There's a balance between "talks in a ridiculous made-up language" and "talks like a 15 year old kid from Nebraska".

That's because you're used to old timey English (which didn't actually exist) for fantasy.

Meanwhile, using phrases like "He ejaculated quite forcefully at me" would have taken even more people out of the narrative.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Damo posted:

Man I only just finished WoR a few months ago but seemed to have forgotten like 90% of the book. So much poo poo happens. I'm definitely gonna be lost regarding where the story stands by the time the next book comes out.

-Evil Wave appears

- They discover some Radiant ruins

- Dalinar bonds with the Stormfather

- Everyone knows Kaladin can do magic

That's about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quinton posted:

I actually feel like it's the other way 'round now -- the timeskip would have allowed us to not have to plod slowly with everyone place to place and check in with the characters once things had advanced a bit -- I feel like things have really slowed down and dragged out in the last book or two as a result of just going straight through instead of skipping forward.

I completely accept GRRM's statement that he couldn't make it work and decided against it, but I think the *idea* was not a fundamentally bad one...

It was bad for GRRM's story because some POVs you can jump into without any flashbacks (Arya mainly, but I guess Dany also) but some require a large amount to figure out what's going on (Cersei, Jon, Bran especially, everyone in the South really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

IIRC, they mostly cancel, but are slowly giving him a bias for inaction.

That wouldn't really make sense though since Preservation is unbalanced by default, so he's been siphoning off some power into atium.