Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It's cool y'all are talking about Warbreaker, because I just finished it and it was my first book by this guy. I've mostly read literary fiction, nonfiction and classics, but I love videogames with DND rulesets and magic and whatnot, so I wanted to try reading some fantasy stuff. I was told to try Warbreaker since it's kind of standalone, but I want to read Elantris and the Mistborn trilogy now. I haven't breezed through hundreds of pages like this since reading Harry Potter as a teen.

Bad: These princesses are labeled as protagonists while being useless without the men they fall in love with (and surprise, at the end the book's title is revealed to be another name for Vasher, a male character). It was interesting how each sister became more like the other throughout the story, though. No idea why a third sister was mentioned at all, she never appeared or impacted the plot. Halfway through reading I learned Brandon is Mormon, and it left a bad taste in my mouth when Lightsong, a character I loved, near the end of the book describes Blushweaver as being more beautiful when she wore clothes that covered herself up. It's like the Mormon values tried to poison Lightsong's character.

Good: Lightsong's arc took a long time to get there, but it was tragic and wonderful how learning of his sacrifice enabled him to do it again and save the day. Right as he learned who he was and that he had a brother all along, he gives it up to save everyone. What a guy. He is a god.

I also liked how many times the characters were just wrong about stuff. Thinga didn't go their way all the time, sometimes their plans were just bad and in the moment they realize that yeah, that could've gone better. It made them feel more real, you know?

I have many more thoughts, but yeah. It's hard to tell how much of my criticism was informed by learning that Brandon is Mormon. I loving hate Mormonism and the dude has a section on his website dedicated to it. So of course every time a female character is deferring to a male, I think, "It's the Mormon in him writing this part." But is it truly? It's hard to separate my bias and I hope I can read more of his stuff without being bitter about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I've dubbed this year my year of fantasy and nonfiction, and I've started it by reading Elantris. I have Mistborn on my shelf for later and I read Warbreaker last year.

I'm enjoying Elantris so far about halfway through. It's a super quick and digestible read. One question I have is about Sanderson's writing. I've lost count of how many times characters have regarded things "with a critical eye." There are critical eyes all over this book. I've read that his writing improves in later books (as to be expected), but please, tell me that his editors realized how often he uses this expression because it's become a fast pet peeve with how often it occurs. You don't even need a critical eye to notice it.

Besides that, it's like reading an RPG campaign and I'm quite down with it.