Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm in the same boat, though finishing up book 2 right now.

Boy are these early 90s fantasy characters stupid

Sure we'll go through the Waygate with you Liandrin, I'm sure you're not Black Ajah or anything :downs:

Speaking of the Black Ajah, if Aes Sedai can't tell a lie why the gently caress don't they just ask every single one 'Are you a Black Ajah?' and warn them if they answer with anything other than a simple 'no' that they'll kill them.

Black Ajah can lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Eh, it makes some sense IMO. The mechanic is they are swearing three new oaths to Shai'tan which replace the ones they give to become Aes Sedai: Don't reveal any current plots that are in play by the Black Ajah, and to keep my secrets until the hour of my death(which comes into play later in the series). I don't think they ever reveal what the 3rd oath is.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

kznlol posted:

If my understanding of book 9 (I think) was correct, the Oath Rod can be used to remove previously binding oaths, even without swearing new ones

Does the black ajah actually use the Oath Rod? I'm re-reading the books so I can finally get to the last one. I'm only on 7 and have probably forgot a bunch of stuff.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Ika posted:

The oath rod is actually a rod of binding which was used on criminals in the age of legend. I think somewhere someone mentions the nine rods of domination which might be the same thing.

Yeah, I remember that, Sammael talks with Graendal about it at some point IIRC. Also, there is supposedly a chair of binding, which will work on non-channelers (I don't think it's ever actually shown).

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

SerSpook posted:

ETA: I'm almost certain the Chair of Binding is used in the middle of the series as a means of questioning the black ajah.

I thought that was the chair of remorse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I think they are two separate things. :goonsay: I just looked, and according to the wiki, they are.