Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It does, but we won't know if it's a true homage until we know who those characters are, and if they do indeed wear hats/goggles.

It's mentioned in the synopsis that the main character of this novel is named Waxillium Ladrian. Ladrian was Breeze's real name. So he's probably a descendent of his.

Skapegoat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

treeboy posted:

I was rereading through parts of WoK and Elantris and remembered a suggestion somebody made (I can't remember if it was here or on another forum somewhere) that the men chasing Hoid in WoK are in fact Roaden and his cadre. The physical descriptions seem to fit, personalities too.

Didn't Raoden and most of his gang become shiny haired, shiny skinned gods towards the end of Elantris? I don't doubt that the people looking for Hoid are from the Elantris world (forgot the name), but they probably wern't Raoden or any of the main characters from Elantris.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

IRQ posted:

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but the others are relatively small settings that could just be isolated continents/time periods on the same world.

The deities and magic systems don't seem mutually exclusive at this point.

The worlds are named, Elantris- Sel
Mistborn- Scadrial
WoK- Roshar
Warbreaker - ??? (I think it was mentioned, but I forgot it)

The most telling evidence that the books take place on different worlds is that in his letter in WoK, Hoid mentions "One need on­ly look at the af­ter­math of his brief vis­it to Sel to see proof of what I say."

This shows that the Elantris world is a different place and is still around. Also, he's probably refering to the massive earthquake that caused the land to be deformed, causing the Shaod. <- Elantris spoiler

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Hey guys, check out the official Brandon Sanderson forums (link on his website) if you haven't already. Brandon posts under the name "EUOL" or "Evil Undead Over Lord". He answers some fan quesions and talks about things we can expect to see in the mistborn sequels.

e.g. Is Sazed blinded by metals, like ruin was? Yes!

or How did Inquisitors find Atium mistings?

They spike the drinks at one of the nobility's balls with trace amounts of Atium, then cause a bit disturbance. (Often, the Inquisitors themselves arriving will do it) and burn bronze and watch for brief pulses. The body will burn metals instinctively if it can, which has been shown quite often in the series. This is also how they get a lot of their secret information about who is a Misting and who isn't. It's not a perfect method, since you have to watch for Copperclouds messing things up, but it is effective once in a while.

Any time an obligator who is not a Misting joins the Ministry, he is unknowingly given a larger chunk of atium and then forced into a series of rituals that will drain him physically and get the body to react and burn the metal. This was how Yomen was discovered.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I just finished Way of Kings, in audiobook format. Holy.. poo poo. What an amazing book. Sanderson is an insanely entertaining and talented writer. Is this his best writing? Mistborn has always sounded like an amateur teenage read, totally unfounded I realise. However, I was blown away by Stormlight and now I'm curious. Of course i love his contribution to WoT, so with those two considerations, is anything else he has done been equal or above these two amazing pieces of prose?

So far I found that Sanderson gets progressively better with each book. I havent read his WoT books yet, but I was definately surprised at how much I enjoied Alloy of Law.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I don't really care about exciting fights for the sake of there being fights, but as I said, in IB:A he builds up this big sort of challenge by way of an enemy palace full of tough as heck monsters and then skips even the barest description of the fights, and it's kind of a let down. It kind of cheats the reader out of the pay off, I feel. Does he do that sort of stuff often?

Well, to be fair (mild Infinity Blade 2 spoilers): You play that part as the tutorial of IB2

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

This Post Sucks posted:

It's only got the 8 base metals too. :(

That makes sense in the context of the game. It's supposed to take place several (hunderd?) years before the trilogy, when Vin discovered most of the new metals.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Yeroc2 posted:

Good news! A new Sanderson book is coming out in December 2012. It sounds pretty interesting. Its called The Emperor's Soul

Its supposed to be half the length of Alloy of Law, and set in the Cosmere somewhere.

What's the betting that he wrote this on his way back from that Taiwan trip he took earlier this year?

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

OneTwentySix posted:

That family was the worst. I didn't like any of them, they didn't seem at all like normal people, and were more along the lines of being a fairly sheltered Mormon's idea of what a normal family is like.

I guess you're gonna hate that the kids are gonna be the main characters of the planned Elantris sequel.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I bought it as soon as I saw the reviews. I haven't got to start it yet, though.

Same here. Bought it based on the recommendations in this thread.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I downloaded it for reading after Forge of Darkness, but hopefully he'll get picked up by Tor or someone and won't have to self-publish if it's as good as everyone says.

http://anthonystuff.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/an-announcement/

tl;dr: He signed a contract with Berkly Publishing group for print versions of the Ravens Shadow trilogy. Probably dropping sometime 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Hantama posted:

Is there any good summary, preferably by chapter, of the first stormlight book?
I read it and liked it, but I don´t remember a lot of details somehow and want to be ready for part two.

There's a re-read of the Way of Kings on Tor.com. It's not completed yet, but it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-way-of-kings-reread-on-torcom

Edit: wow. Beaten like a red-headed step child.