Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, after reading Warbreaker a while ago and finding it decent, I decided to check out Mistborn. Aahhhhhhhhhhh those last three chapters, I must be getting very slack, as I saw none of that happening. (Other than the return of the darkdeepness)

Thank you people in the Dresden Files thread for reminding me about this author. It was worth burning a Sunday to finish this book in one sitting.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

senae posted:

Are you talking about the end of The Final Empire or Hero of Ages, because with Sanderson's (well done) foreshadowing, you should have a pretty good idea of where everything is going. fake edit: Well, almost. I missedSazed being the Hero of Ages.

I was talking about The Final Empire, although I just spoiled myself because I quoted you. Woops. This is why I should not post as soon as I wake up. I've just started the second book (At Part Two) and I'm starting to worry about characters dieing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I misread that as WoK and got really excited even though I know the next Stormlight book is way far out. I just finished WoK last weekend and I'm loving jonesing, man.

I know. I just finished WoK as well, he really teased the magic system this time. He better not die before he finishes this series. I will be very angry.

I like those characters, I want to see them win. All of them.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yes, it is a very good book. I started and finished it last night. Ow, my back. It's a great book that is not hurt too badly by being self-published. I'm glad he got picked up. :3:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If you have not read Elantris, and you liked Stormlight, then you must. It's a very slow book that grows on you, then it all falls into place. It also ends at a point that feels fulfilling and empty at the same time.

Oh, and don't read it in a day. My spine and eyes are planing to murder me.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I guess what we should remember about The Rithmatist, is that it's core comes from six years ago. Even reworking it, how much of his older style is still showing through?

I think the future books in the series will improve on this one.

Also, I could not stop thinking of this story as a Harry Potter parallel. With special agent Frances Principle York standing in for another headmaster.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Steelheart, just...

:stare:

I was a bit iffy at the start the grand rules of the magic system are still very undefined yet, but... that ending felt amazing.

Also, I read that character, in that voice. Thanks Futurama.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Read "The Emperor's Soul" next. It's a great short story.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm going to end up reading the Emperor's Soul again. Thanks thread.

Legion too, I think.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Read him at his best:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Emperors-Soul-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/1616960922

Still one of the books that I'm going to keep no matter how much I move around in life.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Welp, that was different but good. Holy crap, that ending was amazing. It's such a older sci-fi feeling ending.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cicero posted:

The difference is that Sanderson's series entries get more spread out because he keeps getting more total series and random standalones; his average time between books as a whole has remained the same.

The same? Or has it gotten faster?

Sometimes I swear that he somehow puts out 5+ books a year.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Sanderson's ideas and world building are very good, but his prose, characterization and dialogue always read like Young Adult material to me. He's fast, but he's mostly fast because his writing is hitting just above fan-fiction level. Worse, I don't necessarily think he's gotten that much better over time. Jim Butcher dwells in the same general sphere as Sanderson in my head, but Jim has, at least, improved his craft over time. At least more noticeably than Sanderson, anyway.

The emperor's soul and Perfect state were pretty dang good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Theowulv posted:

Chapter 6 was great. That was pretty much the best way Kaladin's homecoming could have been handled. His parents were loving and supportive AND he got to punch that scumbag in the face!

Nooooo. I don't want to read until it's out, but this is so tempting.