Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finally finished Words of Radiance after a couple days of doing nothing but reading it. Good book. It absorbed me as much as the previous Stormlight book did a few years ago, even though I'd wondered with being older and with all the Game of Thrones seriousness since then whether I'd find Sanderson's fantasy too sanitized. Thankfully that wasn't the case, though sometimes the characters do seem too noble and the story filled with too many made up fantasy words.

It was only in this book that I realized all of Sanderson's works are related through this "Cosmere" thing, and that Wit has also appeared in Mistborn under another name. That means the villain of Stormlight could end up very similar to how Ruin was in Mistborn, which I didn't like. Evil forces that are evil because that's their nature but are also sentient are uninteresting. I prefer either the mindless conquering force (white walkers) or people with ambition who believe they're doing the right thing the whole time. So King Taravangian of Kharbranth is a much more interesting villain than this "Odium" they're facing. I hope he continues to have an interesting part to play over the next few books.

I liked how Adolin killed Sadeas at the end of this book. I wasn't looking forward to another book of Sadeas and his plots and Adolin killing him sets the stage for a new dynamic that's different from what we got here.

Also they talk about how the Everstorm is going to go around the world. But I thought the storms always got broken up when going around Shinovar. So I guess Shinovar is gonna get hosed up by the Everstorm then? Kinda sucks.

Anyway looking forward to reading the next book in a couple years. Good thing Sanderson is a faster writer than Martin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But the question is will it protect them from the Everstorm? Or is Shinovar about to get wrecked.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's one of my problems with Sanderson's writing. His magic systems are cool, but he's a bit too into copiously explaining them. For every passage in one of his books where he's reiterating or revealing more about the intricacies of the magic system is what another writer like GRRM would be using to reveal more about the character's mental state/feelings and forge a better emotional connection. That's why I care more about some minor characters in Song of Ice and Fire more than I do about a lot of major characters in The Stormlight Archive.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They're all gay, don't you see?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm not requesting anything. I'm observing that in Sanderson's fiction, rape and consensual sex are equally shameful things.

Not depicting something does not make it shameful. Just not relevant to the story to describe it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Cosmere is just such an insane project. The only other guys I can think of who pulled off such an ambitious world and character building project was Jack Kirby and Osamu Tezuka.

The funniest thing is he'll probably finish his 10 book series before Rothfuss or Martin ever put out another volume.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A human heart posted:

How about Balzac?

True. Though I'm guessing Tezuka was even more of a workaholic, what with the "four hours of sleep a night" trend he started among manga-artists. The bastard.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Data Graham posted:

poo poo, I knew something was tugging at the back of my mind about this subject.

FWIW I thought that pro-bending stuff worked really well in-universe, I loved the whole idea of it and it made total sense.

Yeah pro bending made sense to me. It seemed like the rules were well thought out and there were no obviously cheap win conditions

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wasn't the first Lightbringer book released before Name of the Wind, and the series has now concluded with I think 5 books? That alone makes it better than NotW/makes Brent Weeks a better author than Rothfuss.

I could never agree with one of BotL's core premises, that magic must be mysterious, and having well established rules is just wrong. Many important plot twists in Sanderson's books wouldn't work if Brandon were following that school of thought.

I enjoyed BotL's posts but a lot of his criticisms of the book were very odd. For example saying certain sentences didn't work because they were a combination of Anglo-Saxon and Latinate. I do agree there is a vagueness about Rothfuss' writing. For example saying a town is "halfway between a farming town and a mining town." Alright, I have not been given a description of either of those, guess I'll try imagining the combination now. Or "he moved with the subtle certainty that comes with knowing many things." Again, difficult to imagine what that really looks like. The effect is of a vague, pressing tension, though I suppose a writer creating any sort of tension among a plethora of scenes where the narrative never advances is a positive as it keeps people reading.

I'd take Sanderson's straightforwardness over that sort of poetic attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I woulda put some blue energy around the coin to suggest he's controlling it, but whatever. I'm shocked that there's a Mistborn character in this game, though I'm sure it will sell to fans who wouldn't normally buy any specific skin though because they want to represent their smaller fandom.