Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nucleicmaxid posted:

Except she's not like Vin at all. Vin didn't sound like an after school. Cartoon character. :colbert:

Young, female thief, fish out of water, has cool powers with little idea of their sources which she calls by an unusual name, gets in SERIOUS hot water when she uses them for an audacious heist.

I know you can pick and choose bits, but I was reading her chapter and just thinking 'god drat he's writing Vin again'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wasting posted:

I really wanted to like Sanderson, since a few people to me have been bugging me to read him, so I picked up The Way of Kings.

I'm not sure if it's me, since it's been a while since I've read epic fantasy, but I just can't get past the cliches or even his prose, which feels like a laundry list of descriptions. The story doesn't seem to be going anywhere, either.

I really don't mean to offend, here, by the way.

I'm only a couple hundred pages in. Will things pick up? Is there another book of his you'd recommend?

.... Phone formatting

Honestly, Way of Kings is really not where I'd start with Sanderson. Mistborn is a much better introduction to his style.

I have to say, I think if I'd started with Way of Kings, I might not have carried on. It's good, but it's super slow to get going. As in, pretty much the whole of book one felt like a prelude to book two, to me. Book two picked up nicely.

Of course, it didn't help that it was published in 2 volumes in the UK, and I read the first one 6 months or so before picking them both up. Ugh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vasher is the main character from Warbreaker, and quite possibly a worldhopper, quite possibly a Herald and the person who created the sword Nightblood, which Szeth gets given at the end of WoR

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm the guy, I love Sanderson's dad jokes.

I literally laughed out loud at a few of Shallan and Kaladin's interactions with one another.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What's wrong with the names now? Maybe I'm just jaded to fantasy lit having terrible names (quite likely, I read a shitton of bad fantasy), but his names seem fine to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kraps posted:

He constantly tried to fight it whenever possible though, but I see what you're saying

He pretty explicitly didn't. He *gave up fighting and started enjoying it* in an effort to keep one tiny bit of strength back for when he could fight. For most of the series, Marsh was an outright, vicious, murdering, evil bastard. He managed to claw back enough to save the world at just the right time, but if that's not a theme of Sanderson's work, I don't know what is.

I can definitely see Eshonai going the same way, particularly given the commentary about the internal screaming post-stormform.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

berenzen posted:

I don't think Sanderson is fully capable of writing a big city. Luthadel is supposed to be millions strong yet it always seems to be empty unless it really needs to be full

This doesn't seem surprising to me - a: I don't think Luthadel's that big; the entire Final Empire is only a few million people, you're an order of magnitude out on size, from memory and b: this is a city patrolled by steel inquisitors and Mistborn, where are random someone might decide to pull or push on your belt buckle, coin pouch, shoes, whatever, and slap you to the ground without warning, would YOU want to go out?

Plus, it's not like the protags spend much time in the nicer areas or go to market.

Conversely, I do agree that there's something of a lack of any form of happening across anyone else in a lot of places in Sanderson's work, even when things really *should* be busy, like in the Alethi Warcamps.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Alloy of Law is the start of a NEW trilogy, not the end of anything. It's not even really a sequel to Mistborn, so much as a novel set in the same world hundreds of years later.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Three-off. Brandon doesn't accidentally add books to his trilogies, he accidentally adds trilogies to his series.

See, I thought it was part f a trilogy but I didn't think it was an accidental one. That said, it's no surprise.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

he literally lays out the magic system at the beginning.

He lays out the tiniest of tiny parts of the magic system at the beginning. Surgebinding is literally one of the two major abilities of one of the ten groups of magic users using one of the two (possibly three) magic systems on Roshar, which is itself a world in the Cosmere with a dozen or so other worlds, each of which has at least one, sometimes two, three or more different magics systems, many of which are often mis- or incompletely-understood.

It was by no means elegantly done, but it's not like it strips the mystery out of the books.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, yeah, it's pretty much identical in terms of who they are and where they sit in the series - the difference is that Kelsier planned around dying in that fashion, whereas Ned just hosed it up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Damnit, BranSan, could you not have done your UK book tour in the one month in my life when I can't afford to randomly take a day off work to shoot across the country for a signing >.<

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I see a lot of people say 'I couldn't get into it because it felt like stealth YA' which I can totally see even though I enjoyed it.

Which is weird, because it's not stealth anyfuckingthing, it's actually intended to be a YA series as far as I'm aware.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, thinking about it Tash-Kalar is surprisingly rithmatistish. There are a few things that launch projectiles and such, even. The major difference is that getting to the controller character isn't the goal of the game.

A rithmatist board game could be pretty sweet, actually.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also isn't Spook one of the many characters who inspires a religion?

And yeah, don't give up on Mistborn 3. Vin's death is basically the climax of the book, written amazingly well, and happens with a lot of style. It's worth reading.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, basically the whole of the Cosmere is a story about whether those shards will eventually reintegrate themselves into Adonalsium or not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

So far, he's been in every cosmere novel, though not the short stories

He was not in The Emperor's Soul on-screen, but only because Sanderson felt like he didn't fit properly and (miracle of miracles) cut him from it. He would have been the court jester the main character alludes to as having kicked off the whole plot.

There are basically no coincidences in the Cosmere, to be honest. The whole thing is one giant chess game between the basically-gods which are the Shards of Adonalsium, virtually every main character has some connection to a shard or art thereof..

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hughlander posted:

From book probably but he had that short story about the guy not living up to his older brothers military genius.

Firstborn, and yes, easily his most advanced tech, though not (to the best of my knowledge) Cosmere.

Also, excellent, and Sanderson should write more short fiction and more scifi.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It would be a lot better if someone from later on in the Mistborn future history turned up in their allomancy-powered spaceship.

This has been promised. E: (allomancy-powered spaceships, that is; I'm unaware of any promises for them to show up on Roshar)

E: again: I have no idea what to spoiler tag and what not to in this thread. There's so much unpublished material of which I have no idea how common the knowledge is.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 18, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's just Rithmatist, and it's surprisingly good given its YA-ness. Similarly, Alcatraz and The Evil Librarians is pretty fun if you don't mind YA and dad jokes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Doesn't Vin slaughter people by the platoon in Mistborn?

Pretty much, yes. She also bisects a man and his horse in one blow. Not to mention the whole blood-fountains scene and the fight that follows it. Mistborn is a pretty dark series at times.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Firefight was the most recent non-short I believe, so... 4 to 5 months.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Apparently it's set in the distant future, so it could be pretty much any of the cosmere stories IN SPACE

It's been explained out-of-story that Mistborn magic in particular (and probably some of the others) can be used for FTL travel - and presumably will be in the fourth of the trilogy of mistborn trilogies, to be set in the far future.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

People who criticise the opening of Stormlight for being too videogamey definitely shouldn't read Warbreaker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My point stands; Warbreaker is the most videogamey of his books so far, by a long shot. He's said himself, you can drat near see the bar detailing how many Breaths the characters have at any given moment, and the thresholds for what they do are innumerated perfectly.

I'd be surprised if some obsessive hasn't gone through the book and calculated the figures exactly, I'm fairly sure it would be possible.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Maaaan Sanderson's US covers suck balls

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

How would you guys rate Sanderson's superhero(?) books in terms of quality? Haven't read those or Elantris at this point.

I wasn't all that impressed with Steelheart and I've not been in a rush to read Firefight, mostly because I want a hard copy and they have yet to have it in my local Waterstones whilst I'm actually there.

Superheroes are not his wheelhouse, and it shows.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We will probably find out at some point, given that Hoid is on Roshar and has a bead of lerasium...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TequilaJesus posted:

I have an oddly-specific question:

I listened to the first two Mistborn books on audiobook. I recently read the third the traditional way. Given that the writer of the chapter openings is actually Sazed, whose voice did the narrator use when he read those sections? Obviously, he had to keep it a secret, right? Or did we start with Sazed's voice saying "I am, unforunately, the hero of ages?"

I really don't want to buy another audiobook just to figure this out, but it's really bugging me for some reason.

IIRC you can actually figure it out pretty early on anyway even in hard copy if you're a bit astute, because Sanderson is pretty good about consistency of style and grammar between his characters. Sazed in particular speaks in a way the other characters don't often.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

pile of brown posted:

I can't remember the author off the top of my head but the engineer trilogy, first book devices and desires, had lots of furniture building as well

K J Parker. Very good writer, horrible protagonists.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Khizan posted:

They're good protagonists, they're just horrible people.

I'd probably call them main characters rather than protagonists in a lot of cases, since in many novels they'd actually be the antagonists if it weren't for them getting the most screen time. KJ Parker really gets on my nerves for just this reason. I love his writing style so much, I really enjoy his worldbuilding and his plotting, but I can't get on with his novels because of just how unlikeable the main characters are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mortanis posted:

Sanderson strikes me as a good enough author to think "What would this character say" regardless of his personal feelings, rather than "what should I make the character say to prove to my fans I'm not a stick in the mud". Like Wayne posing a question of incest. I didn't see it as Sanderson trying to make his books edgier or to push his own personal boundaries or the expectations of fans so much as, yeah, that's completely something Wayne would say.

Not saying he's not also having a joke at his own expense, though, just that I think his "character's voice" comes first.

He has spent a lot of time in the past on Writing Excuses talking about how to write outside your comfort zone - and he's getting better and better both at doing it and at poking fun at his own foibles with it.

Specifically, there was a good early episode that talked about religious people writing atheists and peaceable people writing warriors (as well as men writing women and vice versa).

It basically boiled down to 'research it, you lazy bastard, and when you think you've done enough research, do some more, then show it to someone of that group, then let them tear it to bits and do some MORE'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And since I don't think anyone's posted the link, it is here http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

And it is rad.

And I'm not quite sure how the Sanderson thread of all places got onto it.