Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

kissyboots13 posted:

I wonder if writing the epic Stormlight Archives will give him time to develop his character writing skills? I really enjoyed the first one (even though it was insanely long) and am interested in seeing where it all goes, and maybe writing such a long series will give him a chance to build on the skills he has.

The only character I didn't like in Way of Kings was Shallan. She just seemed to incredibly flat. With her newfound soulcasting like Jasnah, she will be fleshed out into something more than a girl looking to fill a family debt and killed her father in the process. I also hope that the characters don't become a mouthpiece for his personal beliefs like Terry Goodkind did with the Sword of Truth series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I've never had a problem with sex in fantasy/sci-fi, I have a problem with the way it is clumsily handled or the way that it feels like the author is living out his or her own fantasy through the characters. In my opinion, I think that it more often detracts from the story rather than add anything significant.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Streebs posted:

I thought it was his best book by far. Yes there is a lot of world building and setup but there is a contained storyline and the world building is pretty loving awesome

The stormlight and the soulcasting (even though we don't know much about it) is one of the coolest magic systems I have seen...well, imagined how it would look. I love how the ecology of the world is completely different as well.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

He probably ment to say the Kaladin flashback chapters. They didn't bother me that much, but some thought they were too many and they were too lengthy.

I absolutely loved every single Kaladin chapter, honestly. Having seen what he has gone through, and how he slowly starts to realize what he is becoming and how he utilizes stormlight, is basically kept me reading. I want to know when he's going to realize how much power he actually has and who will be his jedi master.

It took me the whole book to get there, but I wan to know what happens with Shallan, as well.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Affi posted:

I loving love Marsh, I hope he shows up in every Mistborn book.

Have you just read the first book?

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Have you not read the last book? The world would be doomed by Vin's idiocy if he wasn't there.

Yes, I have read the all the currently published Mistborn books. I was trying to get a feel for where Affi was in the series.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Affi posted:

I've read it all and Marsh is still alive so..?

I was going to say something along the lines of "just wait and see because Marsh is pretty much a badass" if you hadn't read them all.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I'm just glad that I try to keep away from anything spoilerish for everything I like. Movies, books, games, etc. For example, I haven't read the Song of ICe and Fire thread since the book came out because I haven't finished it yet, and am afraid of spoilers. Also, I haven't read the Malazan thread yet either because it's on my "list of stuff to read" and I don't want to read it and chance spoiling something :(

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I don't mind the Sanderson Avalanche, honestly. I loved WoK and the Mistborn series. I haven't read Elantris or Warbreaker yet because I am in the middle two other books right now.

To the point that he is very approachable as an author, I would have to agree. The example that comes to mind for me is that he did a Q&A with the Fantasy Bookclub subreddit on Reddit on while ago. I found it pretty cool that he would do something like that for such a small audience (at least in that subreddit).

I'm looking forward to the next Mistborn and WoK books.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

IRQ posted:

Last I heard that was still his (eventual) plan, Alloy of Law is just a novella.

Guy has seriously a lot on his plate though with the final WoT, 9 more Stormlight Archives books or however many, and god knows whatever else he's kicking around.

Let's just hope he get's WoT out of the way right quick so he can actually work on good series. :v:

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

quiggy posted:

This is awesome, but I just don't really see where he could go from here. Nothing in the same universe seems like it could be as epic as the first trilogy.

Read Way of Kings.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I've been wanting that inside cover image since the book first came out.

A thousand times this, but I've only been looking for it since I read the book earlier this year.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Snow Crash?

Book by Neal Stephenson

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

fordan posted:

Hmm. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Loved Snow Crash, liked Zodiac & Diamond Age, but he really went off the deep end of the historical "look how much research I did" novel. I barely made it through Cryptonomicon, and gave up about half way through the first book of the Baroque Cycle.

Maybe I just like my plotlines simpler.

I read Cryptonomicon, and really only enjoyed the Bobby Shaftoe parts in WW2. The later day stuff was kinda blah.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I would rather Hollywood/tv people/whomever leave it alone as well, but things like this seem inevitable these days with popular books and people looking to capitalize on that popularity. I just hope that if it's going to be done, it be done well. Lord of the Rings is my example, that I always use. I understand that due to the nature of books, some things simply have to be left out (Tom Bombadill). But despite the things that were left out, I feel like LoTR camptured the epic quest and the feel of the books. I hope that same thing happens with this.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Man, I love my new Kindle. I'm going to buy all the brandon sanderson books I haven't read yet from the kindle store. This guy can't have enough of my money.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

warbreaker is free as a PDF on Sanderson's website

I tried this, but I'm definitely not a fan of how PDF shows up on the kindle. Is there something that will change the format so I don't have to zoom the page and pan around?

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

That was the impression I got during the storm, yes.

That said, wouldn't the shards be pieces of the god(s) as well? I've only read WoK and the Mistborn Trilogy so far, but judging by that (the atium), I would imagine the shards would be in that vein as well. Possibly even the spren in some way.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I preordered Alloy of Law on my brady-spankin' new Kindle last night. :3:

I need to be careful with this thing. Hopefully my local library will start lending out Kindle books soon.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

It shipped :neckbeard:

...is it tomorrow yet?

I don't know which book to read now. I may have to put down my current book on the Chciago Outfit as well as Memories of Ice by Steven Erickson to read Alloy of Law. Or I could just read all three at the same time.

Also, I ordered it on my Kindle so I'll be getting it sometime...tonight?

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Haven't started reading it yet, but it's downloaded to my Kindle. I have to put off reading it until tonight because of a busy day today :(

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

So I had a busy day yesterday, and only got through the prologue and first chapter, but I am liking the wild west/victorian magic with guns thing. I'm reading this on my Kindle, and sadly, it seems that this version doesn't come with maps that are most assuredly in the actual book. Does anyone have a link to some scans (if, in fact, there are maps)?

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

BannedNewbie posted:

There are maps at the beginning of the book, they're included in the nook version.

Edit: Here are the images from the nook version:
http://i.imgur.com/T087x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EGDHI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZblyF.jpg

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I finished Alloy of Law this evening and was rudely interrupted during the Avalanche by dinner. I was interesting to see the tricks that could be done by a skilled allomancer and feruchemist with his limitations. As was laid out in the first three books the allomancers learn the subtleties of their metals while full Mistborn only seem to scratch the surface of what each metal does.

I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the plot.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

syphon posted:

For some reason, the first battle in Alloy of Law really sucked me in, I thought it was fantastic. The Avalanche™ seemed pretty meh to me.

Really? You didn't like the part where Wax collapsed the entire loving building?

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I think I'm going to have to read WoK again after seeing all this discussion. I don't remember anything except the over-arching plot. I'll look forward to the spren researcher chapter, though, I liked that guy. :)

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

A bunch of scenes for what? Stormlight book 2? That Chalkboard Starcraft book he mentioned? The entirety of the second Mistborn trilogy over a particularly lazy weekend?

Looks like it is the last of the WoT series. When I checked this morning, he said he only had one more scene to write and then would be inserting the ending that Robert Jordan had written.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Clockwork Gadget posted:

This is a good order, but also

I actually read Way of Kings first then went to Mistborn. That was mostly due to him doing a little Q&A on reddit about the book, so I figured if an author was cool enough to do that, I should read his book. Not a bad decision!

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I really liked the Spook arc in the 3rd book as well. I thought it showed him trying to emulate Vin and Kelsier to such a degree that he ended up hurting himself, and was also being manipulated by ruin. I thought he had great character development in the series and came into his own as an allomancer.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I liked reading the Sword of truth series. I disagree with the Ayn Rand stuff, but I actually found them extremely fun to read. Book four, Temple of the Winds, was my favorite. The book that I really hated the most, was book 7, where literally none of the main characters even appeared until the very end in the last 10 pages. My friend introduced me to the series in 2002 in my freshman year at college, I read it in 3 days.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

typical self-insert fantasy

If you take out the parts where you mention Night Angel in this post, it's almost like you're talking about Patrick Rothfuss.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Were any of you at GenCon this past weekend? Brandon had a booth set up and was signing books. I would've waited in line and just bought one of the books that was on the shelf but: A) I had packed days full of events, and had to be somewhere, and B) the line literally stretched from the front of the exhibit hall to the back of the exhibit hall that he was in.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I finished Warbreaker a few days ago, and I enjoyed it. One can definitely tell that it is an early novel. However, I did think that it was a little predictable, in that I knew Lightsong was going to eventually heal Susebron, but I just didn't know the circumstances. I really was not expecting Bluefingers to be the actual traitor, however. I really was hoping it would be the priests.

I really feel like the ending was set up so he could eventually write a sequel, too. I would definitely like to explore some of the other continents and characters like Vivenna and Vasher.

edit: didn't catch a glaring error when I posted this, and I apologize.

pakman fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 5, 2012

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Just thought I'd share.

:neckbeard: I haven't been this excited for a book since A Dance with Dragons, except ADwD came with crushing disappointment.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

platero posted:

I finally convinced my wife to read Warbreaker recently, so now I have non-Internet people to talk to when I want to gush about Brandon Sanderson, and my "Sanderson Avalanche" phrase will make sense.

Sadly, I am the only one in my family that reads fantasy. :smith:

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I just finished Legion, and it was a pretty quick and good read. I enjoyed Steven a lot as well as is aspects. I sincerely hope that he expounds on this setting and the characters in it. I really would like to know how everything works.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Superstring posted:

Not very is pretty much right. Hoid is (more likely than not) referenced but not named. And, there's a mention of one of the empires that played a part in Elantris. Those are the only real references off the top of my head.

Rather happy to see a fantasy story take place in an asian inspired setting for once. Also, was totally making Bruce Lee noises in my head during one part.

Speaking of Hoid, was he mentioned or referenced at all in Legion? I can't seem to recall a reference.

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

I finished Steelheart earlier today while, and noticed that I had gotten an email from Amazon telling me that Words of Radiance had been delivered to my Kindle. I had completely forgotten that I had pre-ordered it and that it was coming out soon because I stopped reading the thread around the time Steelheart came out to avoid spoilering myself. So now with WoR here, I need to reread WoK because I don't remember any of the details except for the over-arching plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 26, 2011

Well, I avoided reading this thread until I finished Words of Radiance, and that was two(?) years ago, I think. Well, I finally finished it today and it had quite the ending. really interested to see what happened with Jasnah and what will happen with Szeth. I also really hope we get to see all these other people awakening as radiants that we get to see in the Interlude chapters. One of them still bugs me because I can't figure it out and that's the Trader that goes to the Reshi "island." I like how we finally get closure to Shallan's story about what really happened with her mother, and it kinda makes you feel bad for the Father, but just a little. I was always trying to figure out why she was able to summon a blade and it didn't scream or why Pattern didn't seem to object to it. I had always assumed that she took it from her father somehow because it was implied that she had killed him, but when you find out how she did, no blade materialized.

I haven't read any posts as I finished it about an hour ago. I just wanted to post my initial reaction.

edit: Oh, I forgot about Adolin murdering Sadeas. I really thought it wouldn't come to that and he would be able to hold back. I really hope that doesn't mean his character starts getting darker because of it :(

pakman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 4, 2016