Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Psh, I'm just gonna go to some book store, grab the book and read until finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

In the last week I bought and read steel heart, legion, rithmitic, and emperors soul. Someone give me more Sanderson before I die. Also is dune any good?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

gently caress yes. Come out soon please

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

That was amazing. I'm still confused about all of the orders. What does he mean I wasn't sure which one you'd be? When he said she was an edge dancer. Does that mean each spren has two orders bound to it?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

When does he sleep? He is ridiculous amazing

Also, I love how Mistborn is supposed to be three sets of trilogies, and then he just starts adding in more books, unrelated from the actual intended story.

And how it's not even his main series. It's a side of the cosmere.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ika posted:

My copy was waiting for me when I got home, so was the one a friend ordered, now I have to choose between finishing my current book and starting this one early. The book itself is just as massive as the last couple of WOT books, and even is thicker than lord of chaos.
My god. I'm so excited.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

I think I bought the three book set? Mistborn Trilogy kindle book?

I'm really confused about whether I should stop or not now.

The scope of the story changes between the books is all. They all rock.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Keep in mind people are now naming their children khaliseei

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Tulul posted:

I think that all Epics can gift their powers, most just choose to use it for themselves. Since you can clearly stop using your powers long enough to realize what they do to you, it does put the blame pretty squarely onto the Epics. Also, given that the rest of the book isn't particularly subtle about it's foreshadowing, I'm guessing that Megan's theory about why they were given powers is correct.

Speaking of Steelheart, the actual number of Epics is bugging me. In the beginning, the Professor mentions there are thousands of Epics in Chicago alone. The guy they target at the start was supposed to be mid-level in Steelheart's empire, not even part of his inner circle. We're even introduced to two minor nobody Epics near the start, who are much weaker than the big ones. But then every single one of them drops into a plot hole and is never seen again. Mitosis seems to imply there literally aren't any Epics left in Chicago, so I suppose Sanderson just forgot about the whole thing.

Although that sort of just ties back into my bigger criticism of Steelheart; most of the book feels weirdly small and empty, despite taking place entirely in a giant crowded city and a lot of it in a bunch of cramped underground tunnels.

What was her theory again?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ok but Lift is literally the worst character in the history of fiction. I am so depressed that we have to read her as a POV character in later books.

You're wrong and dumb

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Holy poo poo, I just read this. A Sanderson book with nudity? And ready world cursing? And an awesome blend of something I can't even talk about because it would spoil stuff? This is going to rival Emporer's Soul as my favorite novella of his.

I really want a sequel. Or an entire saga. That is amazing. How does he have so many ideas in his head?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

gently caress yeah, a Monday I have off so I can make it down to Oak Brook.

I'll see you there fellow Illinois nerd

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

New book tomorrow. I'm excited as heck

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Because of this I saw a book I haven't read yet. Shadows of Silence. It's amazing. And has tided me over.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I really enjoyed seeing a mortal talk to a god so gently caress off

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

FYI Anderson bookstore in napperville IL is having Robert Jordan's wife doing book signings November 12th. I assume some of you guys are crossover fans like me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

When does the next book come out?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

This will get much worse once the book it out ;)

Just finish reading Bands of Mourning when it comes out before you come in here, there was that one inconsiderate poster that didn't spoiler tag the big reveal in the last chapter of Shadows of Self before it was out even a week. I pity everybody who saw that before finishing the book.

I remember that. I was mad and I wasn't spoiled

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Superstring posted:

Maaaaan. Kelsier is going to end up being a bad guy isn't he?

I hope not

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

The Revolution won't rest until all Shards are splintered! Suffer neither Gods nor Kings! :ussr:

So, uh, what should and shouldn't he spoiled? We seem to be erring on the side of caution since Secret History.

I propose a spoiler thread and a spoiler free thread.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

What do you consider a spoiler? Why would it need its own thread when this thread isn't that heavily active to begin with?

My guess is if not Harmony then a shard such as Compassion would do so, though by all accounts Honor was that balancing factor and Odium destroyed him just as Ruin killed Preservation but failed to shatter Preservation.

I mean a Sanderson spoiler free thread and a spoiler thread. There is a lot of content out now and he's going to keep churning out 4+ books a year. It gets pretty active around a new book

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Someone refresh me on the firefight ending please

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm now on book three of red rising. Its amazing, thanks thread

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The black prism so far reads like Kip is the writer when he was a fat 15 year old. All it talks about is how every girl is the most beautiful girl ever blah blah blah

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is Kip Karris's son?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kip txt 'when he looked at Karris, he couldn’t help but notice her dress. Karris had been thought-freezingly gorgeous when Kip had seen her wrapped in a heavy black cloak over her Blackguard garb. In the thin black dress she was wearing, her beauty ripped Kip’s breath out of his chest, stomped on it, and set it on fire.'

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What's all this edgedancer talk? Is it out?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

How do I get this book

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Can we just kind of pause here for a moment and admire Semirhage? She wakes up from her thousands year nap and takes over in an empire where they routinely capture and enslave Forsaken-level channellers.

Yeah she's pretty boss.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Who is the old man in edge dancer?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is there a dune thread? I just started reading it today

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Book 9's climax is one of the best in the series. Books 7 and 8 likewise have important and exciting chapters. All three thus have something in the way of redeeming features.

Book 10, though, can just gently caress right off. Nothing of value happens in the book.

Book 11 is good, and Sanderson's final three are also fine.

Does book 10 have Mat in it? If so that one was ok imo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Technically if you get REALLY happy it causes the same effects - but it's a hell of a lot more common to be driven to negative emotional extremes than positive ones.

I'm the positive extreme

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jorenko posted:

Next chapters are up. Well, RIP my voidbringer theory. And I had a feeling Adolin would get saddled with investigating himself. Didn't see the copycat coming though.

Link?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Brutal

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

"Syl, the granary --"

"KALADIN YOU GOON, DO YOU NOT LIKE GETTING LAID? "

I love her

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Please post all the spoilers you want (in spoiler tags, of course). I enjoy them.

Same

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Book was great. gently caress the haters.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

This was fun

(very Oathbringer spoiler-y)

What does that imagine mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ekeog posted:

Confirms that Renarin's doing some voidbinding - probably the crazy version of seeing the future we see at the end through his perspective is whatever the voidbinding version of Illumination is, since his healing powers seem very normal

So it's A good surge and a bad surge? Does this mean we will get 19 orders?