Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Tunicate posted:

Bransan's got an open Q&A going in about fifty minutes

https://www.goodreads.com/author/38550.Brandon_Sanderson/questions

There is a lot of really good information in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Cutting way of Kings down to a two and a half hour movie sounds painful. The first mistborn book probably wouldn't be that bad to do as a movie. Books 2 and 3 on the other hand I don't know how all this will transfer to a different medium.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I don't know about the rest of you but I read the lightbringer series to see what kind of poo poo Andross will pull to stay in power and protect his position. I don't think kip is even a top 5 character in the series. Kip's I am little goon with a Mary Sue problem does start to dissipate as the series goes on.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I was watching Sanderson's most recent BYU lectures on youtube, they are really interesting. He recommend the Powder Mage series and boy was he right. This series is great if you like Sandersons work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCZ_Yq-hCQ9kmCiNdDeIrbgA?videos

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Is Kip Karris's son?

No.

Blood Mirror Spoiler
Andross seduced kips mother who was a librarian, so he could get access to some documents. Andross got her pregnant. Andross didn't believe her. So she seduced the real Gaven, and stole the binding knife from him and ran away. She then became a drug addict and lied to kip about Gaven being his father. Kip doesn't know any of this.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Cosmere/Roshar/RoW question: Do we actually know the state of the Honor Shard? Odium killed the host but shards can’t be destroyed right. I guess you could break it into small shards but the conservation of energy applies in cosmere.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think Legion would be Sanderson the best piece of writing for film/tv adaption but we will never see it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mistborn as a video game would be like Assassins Creed meets crackdown

Pretty sure this died in Alpha at least once

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Cosmere Civilization sound fun.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have been thinking about this to much Marsh vs a Herald. I keep siding with Marsh even if you ignore atium allomancy.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I thought there was still some mystery around what some Helamurgy spikes actually do.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I want more nightblood

Calidus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

hemalurgy isn’t losses and depends how much magical power your donors has. Marsh is probably as close a perfect roll as you can get. He got the best donors the empire had to offer and the people doing it knew what they were doing. The really terrifying thing about Marsh is he has had a hundreds a years to use feruchemy and compounding.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

His previous editor Moshe retired in 2020 iirc.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Shallan works better in the audiobooks, for obvious reasons. I think a fair number of readers have the same opinion as you.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

This seems like the exact same play music stars use, get a big enough fan base then build out your own label/publisher. Brandon Sanderson basically Taylor Swift for nerds.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

TOR must be quite nervous now. Unless they already have an agreement to publish all SA books I guess.

Something I missed (and I don't have time to watch a long live-stream), we can buy the e-books even if we don't back the kickstarter, right?

Yes, but I don’t think he committed to day 1 release. I think the same goes for audiobooks. The physical books are the real lock in item.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

$225 per pledge average might be more impressive than the $40 million

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

About 110k hard cover sales

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just realized these books aren’t eligible for the NYT best seller list

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Why not? While the NYT list has an unknown weighting for sales source, the sales do still count. Its only known that you can't make the list with single source sales only.

I got impression that the books will be single sourced. Though I guess nothing stops them from tossing the ebooks up on every market place on or after the release date.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Skyward is much better than Reckoners imo. The inter team relationships are much better written. The romance also isn’t painful to read.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I'd have Emperor's Soul way higher

Emperor’s Soul is funny because it’s probably his strongest writing but it’s very different than his mainstream works in that it’s short and it doesn’t have any super hero fight scenes.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dark one novel co-written with Dan Wells sounds cool.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Butcher and Sanderson have both moved towards the middle as the age they just started at opposite ends. Your going from reading mid 20 year grad students turned professional writers to guys in there mid/late 40s with kids.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I should really buy a print of that cover

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Skyward is much better than reckoners, and probably adapts well to TV.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sanderson not needing the money and not having a “The Dresden Files” tv show on his record is really interesting. I am kinda curious if he can make outrageous budget demands.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

MartingaleJack posted:

If it's Mistborn on some kind of contract, I expect the genders of the crew to swap in several places. Sanderson himself has more or less said he would do that if he could go back. So who's it gonna be? I vote Breeze.

Breeze would be last crew member I would change. Change all rest imo. Ham is easy choice, having a women be your muscle just highlights the magic system. Clubs and Dickson would work too. Spook’s internal book 3 issues probably hit different if he is girl.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sandman on Netflix is giving me hope. Neil Gaimen is basically proving that authors being involved is a good thing. Sounds like Sanderson is demanding that level of control.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

They eBay for a stupid amount of money.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dan is becoming a full time employee(VP of Narrative) of Dragonsteel to help Brandon manage the cosmere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6nd9yrHnI

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I watched the keynote and he basically wants to turn Dragonsteel into Marvel (pre Disney). It’s kinda insane considering he writing giant novels not comic books.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

TLM Kelsier doesn’t know about the investing of spikes via average people because moonlight is missing and Marasi doesn’t bring it up. Curious if Marasi just doesn’t think it’s important or if she made a choice to not tell him.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

By the way, I'm still waiting for the explanation what compounding copper actually does, Brandon!

It’s interesting that he decided to just break compounding for everyone not named marsh

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

It probably only really matters if Wax has more kids. If he doesn’t it’s pretty meaningless.

Edit: I take that back I guess it does matter as a source of making mistborn.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

After reading the state of Sanderson, I am really curious what kind of deal he got with Spotify for his audiobooks, they basically bought their way into podcast via Bill Simons and Joe Rohan.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Recording and distributing audiobooks would be a significant undertaking for him/his company...

Him getting some sort of ownership stake in another business makes way more sense, that’s I brought Spotify’s podcast history.

I am wondering if he has Michael and Kate on retainer yet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sanderson is worth much less money than I would have guessed, his net worth is in $6-8 million range. I suppose all the insanely rich authors actually made most of their money via TV and Movie contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I really like secret project 1, I am wondering if it’s my new recommended Sanderson Intro book. It has the benefit of being a stand alone novel which Mistborn doesn’t. I am curious if none cosmere fans find the ending satisfying.