Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, Sanderson never does inserts of himself.

Isn't Elend considered a self-insert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Mistborn isn't supposed to be YA. Sanderson just writes very simply, and has soft, family friendly sensibilities due to his religious beliefs.

Although these are less true as of The Way of Kings and Warbreaker, respectively.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

senae posted:

No! Not at all!

I mean, I disagree with you, and a lot of other people in here do too. It's the Brandon Sanderson thread, we all like his books!

But we're also able to tell that the prose is less then stellar! That tends to be the sticking point for most people.

His prose isn't exceptional, but it's consistently tolerable.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

He also had child rape in his first book.

Considering Straff's hobbies, this is an odd thing to complain about in this thread.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

api call girl posted:

At the risk of going all reddit here, iirc Straff likes them young but certainly post-pubescent.

Fair enough.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amuayse posted:

So I just finished Way of Kings and I thought it was pretty good.
I kind of liked how Dalinar finally got his poo poo together in the end and stopped being so indecisive. Shallan was eh, but I didn't mind the slice-of-life and teenage girl naivety sections in contrast to the other characters. Szeth's sections reminded me of a Platinum action game. And Kaladin...I think he's okay. He keeps flip flopping between despair and hope but has a massive amount of self-pride despite it all.

I actually liked Shallan's chapters and Kaladin's flashback chapters the best. Shallan has a memorable personality (some people say all Sanderson's female leads are all the same, but this isn't true; Vin is basically the opposite of Shallan) and she was mostly trying to figure out the same aspects of the setting I was interested in. The flashbacks had the most plot progress of any of the narratives. Dalinar's chapters got kind of repetitive, and Kaladin in the present was just draining to read about because the universe just kept making GBS threads on him.

I liked Words of Radiance better, in part because it gave Dalinar and Kaladin interesting things to do for more of the book.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 16, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

Doesn't Vin slaughter people by the platoon in Mistborn?

Not in very graphic detail, though. Sanderson loves his high body counts, but he's pretty averse to descriptions of gore (which is probably part of the reason why Shardblades work the way they do).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 23, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The only time I remember finding modern language in Sanderson really jarring was Adolin suggesting that Jasnah was "sexist," which doesn't really make sense in terms of Alethi ideas about gender roles. It felt like Sanderson forgot an important element of his setting for a moment just to set up a bad pun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Fantasy languages with a half dozen apostrophes per sentence are way more egregious. Or reversing it like in Kingkiller Chronicles and having a character declare only wines from Vint can have a vintage, just to be clever with wordplay in a fantasy setting.

That sounds like a pretty funny satire of champagne snobs, actually.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I just finished stormlight book 2 a week or so ago. I understand why people have complaints about Lift and her awesomeness, but I don't care. That interlude was the best one of both books and a welcome breath of fresh air in the series. Can't wait for her to meet up with Kaladin and crew.

I must of missed it, but was it ever mentioned what her age was? In my mind she's somewhere around 12-14.

She's around 13. She claims she's been 10 for 3 years or something like that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thyrork posted:

And that's why i liked Mistborn. The lord ruler wasn't very good at what he did! And Vin did exactly the same thing!

Yeah, most of books 2-3 is Vin and Elend screwing up horribly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

They do it in Stormlight Archives ("Storms") and Mistborn, too. ("Rust and Ruin")

Mistborn characters say drat and hell as well, though. Even though it doesn't really fit the setting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

No.

Emperor's Soul and Elantris are on the same world. Easy to remember because they both start with "E"

They're not really related, though. They take place on different continents and focus on different magic systems.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Yeah, I accept that Sanderson is a super smart guy, but he writes pulp. I wish everything he did was more like The Emperor's Soul

Reading some of the annotations on his website, I actually got the impression that Sanderson is not a very deep thinker, and it's kind of surprising that his books are as good as the are.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 5, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrath posted:

I'll say not to start with Elantris, I put that book down for months because I just didn't find it too engaging.

I also don't recall the 2nd Mistborn book being that terrible so I may just have bad opinions :v:

I basically agree, although I can understand why people don't like Well of Ascension. The protagonist spends a lot of time coming up with reasons not to take a straightforward course of action, and in the end takes that course of action anyway is kind of a weird plot structure (although it is also the plot structure of Hamlet, come to think of it).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

I had a friend who did not understand why Vin would not choose Zane. She thought he was way better than Elend, who she considered boring and whiny. Still baffles me to this day... :stare:

I think Sanderson says in the annotations on his website that a fair number of beta readers wanted Vin to end up with Zane as well. :iiam:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I finished Bands of Mourning a few days ago and really enjoyed the whole series. It's amazing to binge all these books and watch Sanderson improve as a writer in real time; aside from Mistborn 2, each successive book was better than the last. I'm not looking forward to waiting for the next book, but at least it will actually come out within the decade.

I haven't read Secret History, and I don't think you can even buy it until September, so I'm gonna start on Stormlight 1 and 2 to hold me over until Arcanum Unbounded comes out.

Semi-spoilery questions:

- The "meat" of the cosmere story is currently in the Stormlight books, right?
- Am I supposed to know who Nazh is?
- Someone (VenDell, I think) in BoM mentions that four people have held the power at the Well of Ascension: Rashek, Vin, Sazed and Kelsier. But I don't remember Kelsier doing that. Am I dumb, or is that a Secret History thing?

You're not really supposed to know who Nazh is. Looking him up at http://coppermind.net/wiki/Nazrilof reveals that he made a cameo appearance in Words of Radiance, though.

Kelsier holding the power is indeed in Secret History.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Argas posted:

Used to read Sanderson, not really sure why I stopped. At the time I didn't have a Kindle and his books were getting huge so that might be a factor.

Lately I've been enjoying the Cradle series by Will Wight. First book is Unsouled. He builds a magic system in a similar vein as Sanderson, laying lots of hints and foreshadowing here and there, but I don't feel like it ever forms the cornerstone of the story or plot.

I like Cradle too, and I've discussed it a bit in ADTRW's webnovels thread. Cradle is an actually decent series in a generally terrible subgenre.

He also wrote the Traveler's Gate books, which I'm more ambivalent towards; they feel kind of...YAish, and there's some intangible elements to the characterization that don't quite work. Also, while some may think it odd to criticize an F/SF series for not having enough exposition, there really isn't enough exposition, particularly in situations where you'd expect the characters to be demanding and giving clear explanations for things. (This does get lampshaded a bit later on.) Wight has admitted that House of Blades in particular suffered from his desire to keep the plot moving, at the cost of both exposition and character development. On the other hand, there's some really neat setting elements; the short stories do a good job of fleshing out the Territories that only appear in passing in the main novels. Also some cool fights.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 16, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hopeford posted:

One thing that always surprises me about Warbreaker is how different it feels from normal Sanderson books. The hallmark things are still there - the optimism, the religion, the magic systems...but it also features more gritty situations than any other books, I'm pretty sure it also features more nudity in it than in literally all other books Sanderson wrote combined and multiplied by seven, and it also has a character whose thing is being funny actually being funny(Lightsong). It just seemed to go to places that his other work(before and after) never went to.

Like don't get me wrong, I love Sanderson's work and I can't wait for Stormlight 3 - but the reason I'm dying for Warbreaker 2 is that I'm hoping it will feature that same "UnSandersony Sanderson story" that Warbreaker had.

I think Sanderson said that he had just gotten married (and lost his virginity) before writing Warbreaker. I think that made him more comfortable writing about sexual stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's a pretty creative in-world explanation for why everyone with superpowers needs to have a tragic backstory.

This is also how it works in Worm.