Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A Parshendi main character? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'll second The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. It uses a system of color magic that I describe to my friends as Sandersonesque - by which I mean it's got consistent rules and a full system all planned out ahead of time, just like Sanderson's magic systems (or at least it sure seems so). And this is color magic where different colors all do different things, as opposed to Warbreaker where it was simply color in general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The fact that Sanderson's magic systems are clearly defined and laid out before he does anything with the stories is probably my single favorite thing about his writing. I am a massive sucker for well thought out and rule-driven magic systems and I love reading his books and seeing how he plays around with every system while never breaking any of the rules. Internal consistency is one of my favorite things and Sanderson is superb in this regard.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dravs posted:

I mean, you could kill someone with that!
That is exactly how I describe Way of Kings to people. And this is bigger.

:getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

Just finished The Way of Kings. Waiting for my kindle preorder of book 2 to unlock. How is Mistborn for the interim? Same world? Random other world? Good? Bad?
Different world, different story, really goddamn good. Read it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I kind of like the Sanderson avalanche, to a degree. It felt wonderful in Way of Kings, but in, say, Elantris or Warbreaker...it's a bit more of a tossup.
The Elantris avalanche is a bit much at times but child that I am I was so goddamn worked up for Hrathen's last scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yessssssssssssssssssss.