Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

api call girl posted:

The new Way of Kings book is titled "Words of Radiance" and not "High Price of War" or "Book of Endless Words".

I always thought the title (The) Book of Endless Words would fit a philosophical/absurdist/self-referencing/metaphysaical book more than a fantasy book, so I don't mind him not going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Actually, I believe Sanderson mentioned who'll be the main characters of all the books, but I can't find the quote anymore. I did find this, http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive#cite_note-.3F612.237-0 , which claims the 4th book will be about the parshendi shardbearer we saw in book 1 (but fails to cite this convincingly).

If I remember correctly, I believe the flashback characters also included one of the heralds, Taravangian and some other family members of Dalinar (Jasnah/Adolin/Navani). But again, I can't confirm this and Sanderson has changed his opinions about stuff like this befoer.

Irrelevant side note: Sanderson has been uploading some videos of his writing process. It shows him writing an interlude chapter. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3g-w83Cb5pEAu5UmRrge-A

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2013

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I view that as a given, pretty much. The point is it seems obvious to me that Renarin is being set up to be a major character with basically a Male Siri (ignored non-heir child suddenly thrust into the heir's responsiblities) flavor of development.

Yeah, I've had this impression as well. Either that, or Dalinar and all his family will get separated in some way soon. If only because if Adolin, Kaladin, and Dalinar (and Renarin and Moash) are all in one fight, Sanderson will have too much trouble showing how cool each one is without one getting overshadowed and without making the fight take way too long.

So, if I could bet, I'd bet on there being troubles in Dalinar's home country soon and that some (but not all) of the protagonists will go back home.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, I finished it (ill today D: it's very distracting attempting to cough your lungs up about once a chapter) and it was very, very good. The minor plot issue that bothers me though, is the Transfersion - wouldn't it have made everyone's clothes and shoes metal too? Heck, their hair should have been affected. Steelheart doesn't seem the type to be kind enough to ship in a city's worth of clothing.

No, it was mentioned twice in the book that Steelheart's powers don't affect living tissue and everything nearby. It was also mentioned that didn't make sense scientifically.

For what it's worth, things I did and did not realize ahead of time:

- I feel very silly for not realizing what steelheart's weekness was, it's pretty obvious in hind sight.
- I was completely convinced that Megan was an illusion Epic after the scene in the power plant and I also was certain she faked her death somehow.
- I thought about Prof being a giver Epic once the term/possibility was explained and I was certain of this once he told David to try using the tensors anyway.
- I still don't completely get why Megan didn't kill/stage an ambush on the group much earlier. In hindsight, I find it weird that such a supposedly powerful epic did so little.

Great book, read it in one sitting. I do feel the good guys group should have been a bit more numerous to make it more realistic, because they simply did too much for such a little group with too little consequences. Like, steelheart brings a huge police force (and some other epics) to the final fight and the good guys still have no trouble holding them off without casualities. As it is the bad guys seemed comically inept at times.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 30, 2013

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
So, apparantly one of the steelhunt excerpts is from Words of Radiance. What's the best way for me to get that excerpt? If it matters, I'm currently in Ireland and I don't have PM's enabled.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Tunicate posted:

If you have a reddit I can send it there.

Made a reddit account, username is just "Walh".

Thanks in advance!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

treeboy posted:

Really? How so? I'm not criticizing, I'm honestly curious what clues you're looking to for this.

Basically, Brandon confirmed in an Q&A session that every single herald was mention/seen in book 1 at some point. As such, people have been looking for heralds in the book and Baxil's mistress being one might be the best supported one. Baxil's mistress apparantly is busy destroying statues of the herald Shalash (Brandon confirmed the statue of shalash Seth notices is missing in his first chapter was destroyed by her) and that combined with her appearance makes people think she is Shalash herself.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I wish he would be more of a RAFO kind of guy. I love all the information, but come on bro let us figure it all out instead of giving us it.

I don't mind him saying we saw all heralds anyway, it leads to fun theorycrafting but nothing more. He did reply with a RADO on the question wether Baxil's mistress was Shalash. It is likely that the question "did baxil's mistress destroy that specific statue of Shalash?" would never be explicitely revealed in any of the books, hence he decided to answer/clarify it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

omnibobb posted:

So, if we've seen all of the Heralds in book 1, who do we think they are? I hope Gaz and that's what happened. He got called to Herald it up.

Some popular theories/guesses. In all of these the herald icons each chapter have are used as evidence as well. Sanderson has also stated that many clues are red herrings. Spoiler for people who didn't read the book yet or want to think of theories/want to find it out themselves.

- From the prologue in TWoK: Elhokar, the king’s son and heir, sat at the high table, ruling the feast in his father’s absence. He was in conversation with two men, a dark-skinned Azish man who had an odd patch of pale skin on his cheek and a thinner, Alethi-looking man who kept glancing over his shoulder. There is a dark-skinned azish man with an odd patch of pale skin in several of the preview chapters for The Word of Radiance (jashan prolgue, ym interlude, lift interlude) and in those he shows signs of the attributes just and confident (in a corrupt/exaggerated way), so one theory goes that he's Nalan. The Azish man might very well be a herald as well then.
- From Axies the Collector's interlude: the old beggar in the street who built a town from rotten vegetables shows signs of the attributes "building" and "confident" (in a corrupt/exaggerated way), which is apparantly enough for some people to think he's Kelek.
- The old lady in the library in one of Shallan's chapters could be a Herald, simply because she get's a big amount of attention. In that case she could be Palah (learned, giving) or even Battar (wisdom, carefulness).
- The nurse in the Taravangian's death room might be Vedeledev (loving, healing).
- The drunk guy Seth meets in the prologue that asks "have you seen me?" might be a herald because he spoke in gibberish and was next to the statues of the heralds.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Speaking of the WoR cover art, it's funny in a way that it's a Kaladin cover given this is supposedly the/a Shallan book (haven't read the preview chapters). Sort of implies that the publishers realise that it's in their best interests to trick people into thinking it's a Kaladin focused book. I can't say I blaim them, Shallan is a terribly dull character, certainly in comparison to Kaladin and Dalinar, and it's a shame we're getting a book focused on her so soon... or at all really. I trust that it's happening for world building purposes and will all work out. But yeah, if it's necessary, it's a necessary evil.

I really hope that Sanderson doesn't write himself into a Rand-esque corner where where we only get a handful of chapters from the perspective of everyone's favorite character and/or the protagonist per book. World building is great and all, but world building using uninteresting characters, especially when it takes up a large part of a book, is one of the most frustrating things about epic fantasy.

Shallan was a dull character in the first book (although I actually found flashback Kaladin way worse), but that doesn't mean she'll be boring in the other books. It's quite hard to write a character studying all the time in a non-boring way so it's no surprise she wasn't that interesting in the first book, but it appears in the second book she'll be busy surgebinding and looking for this lost city. Also, from the first preview flashback chapter I certainly expect her history to be more interesting than Kaladin's.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

THe Book of Endless Pages would have been an appropiate title. Sadly not my picture.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 6, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Sanderson and all the other people who know the story already must be having a great time watching fans trying to find meaning in those glimpses. Some of the theories offered for some of them are truly bizarre, which I guess is kind of the point.

For reference, the 7 glimpses so far are:

1. "Thirty-eight days," Renarin read. "The end of all nations."
2. She felt and heard the storm approach. The ground shook, the air roared. Bits of leaves swept across her in a chill gust, like scouts before an oncoming army that charged behind, the howling wind its battle cry.
3. In places, it flashed with light from behind, revealing movement and shadows within. Like the skeleton of a hand when light illuminated the flesh, there was something inside that wall of destruction.
4. Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.
5. Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master?
6. "He thinks you're a god. You shouldn't encourage him." "Why not? I am a god."
7. HE COMES FOR YOU, LITTLE TRAITOR. I AM SORRY.

Glimpse 6 is the most confusing one to me, I doubt we've seen whoever it is about yet.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like the voidbringers being the parshendi is either a bluff or nowhere near the full story. The fact that the answer just came so easily and in the first book makes me suspicious.

Yeah, I agree. There must be something more to desolations than just the parshendi, simply because there are not enough parshendi around to cause the amount of destruction that is expected. In previous desolations 90% of the world poulation died, I just can't see how that could be done by the parshmen/parshendi alone consider how few there are. There are quite a bit of parshemn around, but they're still vastly outnumbered by humans. After all, in Kaladin's village (probably 500+ people at the very least) only Rashone had some (probably less than 5) and parshmen are described as much rarer than human slaves (which are only a very small part of human poulation themselves). Midnight essence and thunderclasts are also obviously not parshendi.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Since nobody actually talked about wether they found the book good or not: I really liked the book with the exception of one plot line Moash and a certain trope he used too many times despite claiming he dislikes it (very big spoiler: the trope of people who appear and are assumed by all to be dead not being dead).

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Also, that's totally Wit at the fair years ago with Shallan, right?

Confirmed later in the book. The chapter also gives a clue that Wit is a mistborn

api call girl posted:

His widow. Well, that and Mraille and the other Ghostbloods/misc factions.

Speaking of factions, I can't help but think there are WAY TOO MANY of them now. Diagram, Ghostbloods, Skybreakers(?), the dude Szeth picks up at the end, whoever Amaram is working with, the Seventeenth Shard, Hoid, etc. Too much happening under the surface, and more than half of them seem to be doing the same things for different reasons but are still working "against" each other. It even seems like more than a few of those factions shouldn't even exist by now since the Final Devastation/Everstorm has actually arrived, yet there they are.

It's a big series, having plenty of factions makes sense as not all of them will be relevant all the time. I like it honestly. But there are a lot, yes. A list so far:

* Ghostbloods
*** Leader: Thaidakar
*** Members: Shallan's Father, Kabsal, Mraize, Iyatil (the masked woman), etc
*** Objectives: kill Jasnah, spy on and kill Amaram, ???
* Sons of Honor
*** Members: Amaran, Gavilar, Restares
*** Objectives: bring back Heralds & old gods Parshendi (might be the same), resurrect the church
* Skybreakers
*** Leader: Darkness/Nin
*** Members: Shallan's brother, Szeth?
*** Objectives: kill Amaram, kill Lift, kill Ym
* Diagram
*** Leader: Taravangian
*** Members: Graves, Moash, friends with Gavilar
*** Objectives: save the world by following the Diagram, kill Dalinar
* Envisagers
*** Members: Teft's family
*** Objectives: bring back the Knights Radiant
* Stone Shaman's
*** Members: part of the Shin
*** Objectives: control Honorblades, ???
* Hoid
*** Members: Wit
*** Objectives: defeat Odium?
* Ardents
*** Members: all ardents
*** Objectives: ???
* Stormwarden
*** Members: group of scholars, seen with Amaram and Taravangian
*** Objectives: predict highstorms, ???
* 17th Shard
*** Members: These people in the purelake
*** Objectives: Find Wit
* Oldbloods
*** Members: Teleb
*** Objectives: ??? (pretty much never mentioned)
* Unknown
*** Shallan's mother & friend: wanted to kill Shallan for being a surgebinder

It is possible that The Sons of Honor and the Diagram work together.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 6, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Aren't fabrials just imprisoned spren? I recall reading somewhere that is what they truly are (and its hinted in an interlude in book 1 by the spren researchers "this might change the way we make fabrials"). So shardplate would still need a spren at some stage to give it 'life'

Worldbuilding spoiler. Yes, but apparantly gems (and gemhearts) also contain spren, probably also imprisoned.

Hopeford posted:

Nearly done with it, but before I forget, gotta make a comment about one of the early interludes. I really like Rysn, enough to remember her from the first book. I don't really know why, I just think that her chapters--especially this book's interlude--were really fun to read. I kind of hope we see more of her in the next few books. There's just this perfect balance of "...Wait, what?" with "Okay, I'm rolling with it" that made her interlude one of my favorite bits of the book.

I expect that she and Lift will be among the main protagonists of the books 6-10. If I recall correctly, there's a time skip planned, so in these books they should be old enough to play an important part.

The Sandman posted:

Also, it's interesting that stormspren are apparently a type of Voidspren, given that the Stormfather himself is more-or-less the ghost of Honor and is the progenitor of the normal spren. Something odd going on there, I think. I'm also left wondering if there are any spren linked to Cultivation instead, to say nothing of whether Cultivation is still alive (although I'm guessing she is, since I doubt Odium/Rayse would still be in this solar system if he'd murdered and splintered all the local Shards; at the very least, he'd be on Roshar itself instead of Braize).

More worldbuilding spoilers, some of it from Q&A sessions of Brandon: the normal sprens are either from honor, from cultivation, from both honor and cultivation, or from adonalsium (although these appear to be uncommon). It is heavily implied that voidspren are from Odium. It is certain the nightmother is either Cultivation herself or of Cultivation, many people believing the former.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

That all said, I do hate how everyone was a radiant at the end. Like, absolutely hate it. We had 2 books of struggle from Kaladin about learning to use and accept his powers. Shallan had a book of coming to accept her powers too, and what it meant. We got to see them meet their spren, learn and grow.

And then half of the cast is also a radiant. It takes away from that.

Obviously we need other radiants to come about -- and I really liked what they did with Lift's chapter for that. We don't need to see them all grow, but we need to see that it's out there happening. Not "We see a radiant... oh, guess I'm one too!"

About the last criticism, I think it's not a problem yet but might become one. I especially hope Adolin, Navani, and Elhokar stay normal as there are already enough Kolin radiants, but I doubt they all will. Teft, Rock, Skar, etc should stay normal as well and I hope Lopen is just one of those "squire radiants" that can glow with stormlight but don't bond with a spren and get no surgebinding/shardblade. Regardless, Brandon has always written from the point of view of powerful/influential characters so it's no surprise. Plus, since there are 10 different kinds of surgebinding, we're bound to have at the very least 10 surgebinding protagonists/antagonists by the end. We currently have 5.

senae posted:

I don't think that seeing the future is actually a thing of odium though, since end of book one of Renarins radiant powers is seeing the future. That myth was probably a reaction to the heirocracy rather than actual scripture.

Actually... Syl confirmed that seeing the future is a thing of odium. Also, by process of elimination we know that Renarin is the same kind of Radiant as Ym who did not mention seeing the future at all (which means Renarin has the illumination and regrowth surges).

edit: finally found where she said it:
“Something bad is going to happen,” Kaladin said. “Things can’t just continue to be good for me. That’s not how life is. It might have to do with those glyphs on Dalinar’s wall yesterday. They seemed like a countdown.” She nodded. “Have you ever seen anything like that before?” “I remember  .  .  . something,” she whispered. “Something bad. Seeing what is to come— it isn’t of Honor, Kaladin. It’s something else. Something dangerous.”

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 88). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 7, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

mallamp posted:

I have no doubt it's great but a) is first chapter supposed to be 'weird' and b) will there be any reminders of book 1 events and stuff is what I'm asking?

There are a lot of reminders of book 1 events, I think you'll be fine. The prologue contains a lot of stuff that isn't relevant at all yet and the first Shallan's chapters are worldbuilding infodumps.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was wandering around the coppermind, and found that Hemalurgy could potentially be used to steal a shardblade. Perhaps Hoid can do this, and this is how he takes Talns honorblade? Mind you, honorblades are different to regular shardblades, perhaps meant to be shareable, so maybe he just took it.

Ehm, difficult to believe. Wouldn't somebody have noticed if Hoid had stabbed Taln with some spike (and impaled himself with it)?

Call me naive, but why do so many people assume that Taln doesn't have his honourblade anymore? Perhaps he simply bonded it and dismissed it? After all, in the prelude in WoK both Kalak and Jezerian summon their blade so they don't/shouldn't have to permanently lug it around unbounded.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

The Blade used to catch Amaran out (which Dalinar bonded to and started using) came along with Taln - that's where they got it. It should be an honorblade, but it doesn't match the physical description of Taln's Honorblade given earlier. Also, Dalinar hears screams coming from it after he bonds with the Stormfather, which shouldn't be the case if it was an Honorblade.

Yes, I agree entirely. Basically, there are 2 questions:
- where did the unbounded cleaver-like shardblade come from?
- where did the original honorblade Taln had go?

I don't know the answer to the first question, but to me it seems like the answer to the second question could easily be that it didn't go anywhere, he just bonded it and dismissed it.

Velius posted:

On that note, why didn't Amaram just grab the Honorblade and pretend-radiant with it? If he's part of some weird secret society venerating the Heralds, and he's willing to pretend to be a radiant for Dalinar (which was totally random), why not go all the way?

The blade Amaram grabbed was not a Honorblade.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

treeboy posted:

edit: ^^ Rlain hadn't switched over yet, the suggestion is that the transformation will *not* be optional at some point in the future, possibly when the Everstorm comes around the next "full" time (they summoned it on the plains? it didn't seem to have traveled the whole world.

I kinda expect that only parshmen are forced into stormform/other voidbringer form, parshendi who already have a peaceful spren may not need to change. After all, if this wasn't the case, a certain plotline wouldn't make any sense some of the parshendi escaping Eshonai.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
It should be noted that we don't know what broke Shallan since she already attracted Pattern and started surgebinding before any of her flashbacks took place.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Superstring posted:

I would have thought having her own mother try to kill her would have done that.

Chicken and the egg problem. Since it seems like Shallan's mother wants to kill Shallan because she is a surgebinder.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Faction based question: What exactly do the Ghostbloods want? I get that they're opposed to Amaran, and therefor Gavilar's, plans, but I don't really know what they're up to beyond that. Are their goals aligned with the Diagram?

We don't know. Side note: when Gavilar died, he assumed that the assassin had been sent by the leader of the Ghostbloods (and said to Szeth he should tell them they're too late).

NinjaPete posted:

Question: How many Heralds have we seen in the present day? I know the Justice-guy is one, but anyone else? Regardless I need to do a re-read soon. Has Sanderson indicated of he'll do annotations for WoK anytime soon like he did for the Mistborn series?

According to Sanderson, all Heralds where seen or mentioned in the first book.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Habibi posted:

Oh are there? I thought it was just the three. Well, anyway, re: the spren allowing or not allowing, that would still be a really lazy and cheap mechanism to essentially correct an issue that shouldn't have come up in the first place (oaths with senseless loopholes).

The intention behind the words seems to me to be much more important than the words themselves. To start with, I really doubt you have to speak Alethi to be a king radiant, so presumably anyone can speak the words in their own language as long that the intention behind them is correct.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
In reference to the epigraph: “He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!”. It's probably relevant that the signs of house Kholin are the tower & the crown.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Tunicate posted:

She's actually like 11-12, right? 1.1 Roshar years to 1 Earthyear?

I thought it was 1 roshan year = 1.1 earthyear actually.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I googled it, apparantly there were already some fans who calculated everything, see think link: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/5662-list-ages-of-stormlight-characters/ .

For reference, it claims Lift is 14 in earth years.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Wasting posted:

I really wanted to like Sanderson, since a few people to me have been bugging me to read him, so I picked up The Way of Kings.

I'm not sure if it's me, since it's been a while since I've read epic fantasy, but I just can't get past the cliches or even his prose, which feels like a laundry list of descriptions. The story doesn't seem to be going anywhere, either.

I really don't mean to offend, here, by the way.

I'm only a couple hundred pages in. Will things pick up? Is there another book of his you'd recommend?

.... Phone formatting

The story picks up, the endings of Sanderson's novels are pretty renowned. The prose doesn't improve.

If you don't think you'll survive that long, read one of his recent short stories like Legion and/or Emperor's Soul instead. They're among his best works (emperor's soul actually won a Hugo award IIRC), edit: but so is TWoK so don't expect them to be way better. Keep in mind though that his style polarizes quite a bit, in the sense that people either really like his work or can't enjoy any of them at all.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Right, and all the names I chose are pretty traditional Christian names. I didn't go into Li or Abdul or Mtembe or Miyamoto territory.

One of the problems is that he tends to give people one word names and a last name if they're related to other people. Think about Taravingian, is that a first name or a last name? Is it supposed to be Vorin? Or the Kholin family, how is it that a large and powerful noble family like that has two branches (Dalinar and Gavilar->Elhokar)? What was Kaladain's last name? Even if he was a commoner he'd likely have something about his parent's profession unless every single person has a different first name (as it appears they do, Sanderson doesn't seem to repeat names often).

Ehm, you lost me here. Obviously the only people with a family name are people in a renowned family. Kaladin, Lopen, Moash, Gaz and all the other darkeyes don't have a family name. Which is pretty normal, really. Commoners only got lastnames in real life in the 19th century (code Napoleon)*. Taravingian is also a first name and may or may not have a family name, but since there is no reason for us to know his family name (since he has no family) I can't say I care.

*) well, we don't really know, when there were multiple people with the same name people would automatically refer to one or the other using occupation and the name of the father and stuff and you could perhaps consider this their lastname (although this lastname could change multiple times over their lifetime and depend on circumstances/location + you could have multiple and/or nicknames), but that's besides the point. Kaladin, Moash, etc aren't referred by their occupation and/or name of the father because they're the only one with that name around, as would have happened in real life before the 19th century among commoners. If Sanderson had used the same name for 2 people, we (you) would be calling him lazy and stupid for doing so.

edit: apparantly how recent family names (for everyone, not just the elite) are varies a lot from country to country, but it was generally only after the 17th century.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 14, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Hrm. I was under the impression that the Domesday Book established family names for everyone in England at that time, grabbing whatever descriptor people were using at the time (like "Smith", or "Steven's Son") and locking it in forever. I don't know about the rest of Europe.

England is a very big exception (edit: if this is true).

edit: I don't think that's true. Quotes from wikipedia (horrible source, but too lazy to find primary source): "As Domesday Book normally records only the Christian name of an under-tenant, it is not possible to search for the surnames of families claiming a Norman origin; but much has been done, and is still being done, to identify the under-tenants, the great bulk of whom bear foreign Christian names."

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 14, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Actually GRRM brings back dead characters too like frankenstein Clegane or Catelyn Stark. A few characters also obviously have plot armour, the plot won't really go anywhere if characters like Tyrion and Daenerys bite the dust. Arya Stark has the fabled my-wife-will-divorce-me-if-I-hurt-her armour.

GRRM just set a good precedent with Ned Stark and reinforced it with the Red Wedding. He kinda cheapened the latter though by bringing back Catelyn from the dead.

In addition, there are tons of fake deaths as well (which I have no problem with whatsoever, but it can be pointed out) like Bran/Rickon, Davos, Aegon (???), Arya's eyesight, probably Jon (??) and probably Loras.

That said, I thought there should have been much more time between the revelations that these characters survived. If the chapters hadn't been right after each I think it would have been fine.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

berenzen posted:

I don't think Sanderson is fully capable of writing a big city. Luthadel is supposed to be millions strong yet it always seems to be empty unless it really needs to be full

I agree completely. I can't think of any city or warcamp that felt big/busy to me. It just feels empty with few people and everything right next to each other. On the other hand, very few fantasy writers can manage to write a big city convincingly in my opinion, China Mieville is really the only one I can think of.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Wow!

Where has he gotten a Radiant with sprenblade from?

My guess is this will end up being Jasnah in disguise.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Can we please keep Abercrombie chat in the other thread?

I agree with the assertion that writing a fantasy novel is more comparable to writing the script of a movie/tv show, while writing a literary book is more comparable with creating a true art paintwork. So it makes sense somebody like Sanderson can write much faster than more literary authors.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Movie/tv scripts, famously meant to be cranked out without regard for quality.

Quality != artful/literary.

A book doesn't need to be an artwork brimming with innovative techniques and awesome prose to be very enjoyable (good world building, character development and plot). Neither does a movie/tv script.

If you want to create true literary art it's probably impossible to match the writing output as somebody like Sanderson. I think Sanderson can write so fast because he focuses on the story and world building more than on prose and art.

That said, compared to most other fantasy authors his prose is still decent, just nowhere as good as real literary geniuses.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

A human heart posted:

it's good to know that even people who read fantasy think it's a shoddy poorly made type of art

I don't think it's shoddy or poorly made, just not art per se.

I mean, I also read non-fiction. Do I consider Jonathan Sumption's books artwork? Of course not. But it's still very interesting and enjoyable to read. Same with fantasy.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 12, 2018

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Just popping in to say that skyward is pretty good and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Finished Skyward. Not Sanderson's best work, very very YA. I wouldn't call it bad, but I care more about the setting and it's mysteries then I do about any of the very very shallow characters, which is bad compared to even Sanderson's early stuff where at least one character would be interesting.

Also That slug is totally an alien spy.

Regarding the spoiler: nah, I think it's the thing you put in the FTL machine.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Dawnshard comes out on amazon on the 10th for anyone else who missed the Kickstarter and has not been mashing f5 on amazon like I have.

It's completely insane that it's so much easier to get a DRM free ebook via :filez: than through legal means. I'll buy the book once I can get it legally, but it's pretty stupid that I can't do that yet.

That said, dawnshard was pretty good. I really didn't like Lopen in the stormlight books, but he's a lot better when you see the world from his perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Dawnshard

Apparently there are theories for both UNITE and SURVIVE to be dawnshard commands. Unite because of dalinar's visions, survive because of some things that Kelsier mentions/hears.