Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Words of radiance has been delayed. Looks like March 4th is the next target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warbreaker seems a lot more videogamey than it should be because of the built in powerlevel/mp meter mechanic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antti posted:

It feels like an underutilized idea in general - we have boatloads of pre-modern era fantasy, plenty of urban fantasy, but virtually no fantasy in a futuristic setting.

Well duh. Everyone knows that if it's in the future it isn't 'magic', it's 'psionics'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ShadowGlass posted:

Strange, I can't find the reference to this in the book, but I was sure I'd read somewhere that forgetting his wife was not the curse. Maybe it was an interview or something.

Other way around, it's confirmed that the forgetting was his curse, but we have no idea what the boon is. Curses are all neurological in origin, but boons can be anything, it seems, since at least one guy got a bunch of grain/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

So he never thought to ask his kids about their mother? Or did the person who took his memories tell everybody to just not let dalinar in on the secret, a la eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?

In one ear, out the other.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

This is something that bothers me, as well. There's SO much worldbuilding and cosmology that is released through fucknowswhat gateways, I certainly don't have a clue, which ties all of Sanderson's work together in the most intricate of ways, and it bugs me that I don't know where it's all coming from, and am missing some really significant details in the stories as a result - for instance, I'm pretty sure that all 16 non-God metals from Mistborn have actually been detailed somewhere (at least in what their Allomantic forms do), but it drat sure wasn't on the pages of any of the novels. It's kinda irksome. I know from his podcast how much planning he does, but I'd kinda prefer if he kept it away from the public except when he's releasing it in books.

It was definitely in the RPGs, and there were some two-sentence descriptions in the back of Alloy of Law.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

The thought of a mistborn surgebinder is… Well… That would be a really interesting passage to read about and would probably make me fully erect.

Edit: he would probably gently caress up and eat his spheres.

Apparently there's going to be some sort of cross-system battle or something at the end of stormlight 2. Possibly involving awakeners.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

So wait… Does that mean he already planned out mistborn before he even started writing the way of Kings? That said, what kind of chronology is there for the Cosmere?

I think it's roughly publication order, but the newer books are breaking the pattern?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, he was "busy" in the second book (although his effects were seen, see my earlier post) and Vin cased him out from afar in the third book before choosing not to meet him due to looking untrustworthy.

In the second book he's hanging out with the terris guys, leading their refugees to safety.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't think Hoid shows up in White Sands but I don't know if it's supposed be a Cosmere book and was just befre he envisioned Hoid or a stand alone story.

White sands? I haven't read that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not bad, definitely feels like an early work. All the normal criticisms of Sanderson are present, character-wise the protagonist are basically a carbon copy of the ones from Elantris. The world was acually pretty interesting, but the story itself kind of felt like a Star Wars/Dune mash up.

It's all the normal Sanderson problems taken up to eleven. I did find it kinda hilarious that literally everyone who could possibly be a traitor was a traitor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JagGator posted:

I like how he has a pen in his pocket. Because you know he probably cranked out another novella on the back of his placemat while he waited for the other awards to be presented.

With a new, trophy-based magic system.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

It wouldn't be the first series to have power vary inversely with experience. The Young Wizards series did it. As your power declines, you just compensate by applying your power more skillfully.

Yeah, and I always thought that was dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I guessed it was either going to be not being afraid of Steelheart, or being attacked by an epic and a human simultaneously, after the first chapter preview came out. Didn't get the megan thing - thought that she was a gifter, and the 'second-newest person to join' was a coverstory.

Other than that, it felt a lot like Darker Than Black.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

L-O-N posted:

Really? Because I can't recall any swearing in any of his other books either.

I think Hoid calls someone a slut once.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are also a lot of 'hell's and 'bloody hells' in Mistborn . And, surprisingly, nobody ever uses "Deepness!" as a curse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was Cosmere, but I'd find it a little odd, given that it's an explicitly alternate-Earth setting. I kind of hope not.

But yeah, Calamity being constantly capitalised, and indeed almost personified, does make me wonder.

That being said, I wonder if Calamity is actually an uber-Epic...

Nah, steelheart isn't cosmere.

I'm kinda assuming Calamity is a person, given that book three is 'calamity' and book two is 'firefight'... having it not be a person would break the trend.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also that cosmere short story in the Dangerous Women anthology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xachariah posted:

More disabilities amongst the people in Sanderson's books would be fairly refreshing. I mean, for being dystopias the people in the Mistborn and Reckoner's worlds are perplexingly perfect. No one has survived a disease or gotten into an accident or anything? No one happens to have a mental illness or genetic disorder? No asthma, back pains or deafness due to industrial machinery?

At least one of the guys in kelsier's crew broke his leg and it didn't heal right. Zane was crazy even before Ruin spiked him (Ruin said he wasn't, but Ruin lied), as was Vin's mom.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frabba posted:

Regarding the next book: It is not that surprising that it will not be in Chicago, there is going to be a massive power vacuum from the death of Steelheart and Nightweilder and it is unlikely that firefight is strong enough on her own to consolidate power under herself, or if she even has that kind of desire after the resurrection. It would make sense to see her ending up as a high level lackey for the big bad in NY.

Although Conduit could probably keep control of a lot of stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, with all the signings happening, is anyone going to be in a position to go to one of them?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

He hits up Seattle on pretty much every tour (as do most authors I follow), so if I don't see him this time around, I'll go the next time he's in town.

Ah, he's hitting Seattle exactly a week from now. Would it be too much to ask for you to record it, or at least write down any questions you ask him?

quote:

Big List of Signing Locations!

Portland, OR - Powell’s Cedar Hills Crossing
Date: Tue, Oct 08, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

Los Angeles, CA - Barnes & Noble – The Grove
Date: Wed, Oct 09, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

Bay Area, CA - Books Inc.
Date: Fri, Oct 11, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

Bay Area, CA - Barnes & Noble
Date: Sat, Oct 12, 2013 Time: 5:00 PM-8:00 pm

Seattle, WA - UBooks@University Temple United Methodist Church
Date: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

Tacoma (Military Only), WA - Fort Lewis AAFES (military ID required)
Date: Tue, Oct 15, 2013 Time: 4:00 PM-6:00 pm

San Diego, CA - Mysterious Galaxy
Date: Wed, Oct 16, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

Salt Lake, UT - Barnes & Noble
Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 Time: 7:00 PM-10:00 pm

New York, NY - Paolini, Dashner & Sanderson at the 92nd Street Y
Date: Sat, Nov 16, 2013 Time: 3:00 PM

Colorado Springs, CO - Superstars Writing Seminars
Date: Thu, Feb 06, 2014 - Sat, Feb 08, 2014

Provo, UT - Life, the Universe, & Everything 32
Date: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 - Sat, Feb 15, 2014

Atlanta, GA - JordanCon 6
Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2014 - Sun, Apr 13, 2014

Baltimore, MD - Balticon 48
Date: Fri, May 23, 2014 - Mon, May 26, 2014

Salt Lake, UT - Westercon 67 / CONduit 24
Date: Thu, Jul 03, 2014 - Sun, Jul 06, 2014

Avilés, Spain - Celsius 232
Date: Wed, Jul 30, 2014 - Sat, Aug 02, 2014

EDIT: I just spammed half the thread in PMs. I hope this is acceptable - I heard apparently they look down on people begging publicly or something.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 8, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

I have no idea how well my new phone would record something like that, but I can give it a go if I'm there. If that turns out crappy or something, then at the very least, I can take notes about what gets asked. And thanks for the PM. I'll have to read through that stuff after I'm done with the new Scott Lynch book (which just came out).

Thanks. Any idea what you're going to ask him?

I checked out a couple of signing reports from last week. The Mistborn video game has been pushed back to 2015, but the Mistborn TV rights just got sold, so that's cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Argas posted:

Any chance I could get one my way?

No prob

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doesn't necessarily mean that anything's going to get made, but hey, money in the bank. Brandon didn't say who it was, just that they were a fairly big tv company, and that he wouldn't have sold the rights if it weren't for the success of serialized things like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Apparently the option for Alcatraz movie rights paid Brandon more than all the books put together, even though the studio just held onto it for years and never did anything with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cicero posted:

How do these usually work? They do questions, then signing at the end?
Well, order changes around, but at the beginning Brandon talks for a while, and there's a public Q&A, and a reading of some unpublished book (or books), and maybe another Q&A or something. Depends on time and venue.

After that's done, there's the signing. Brandon encourages fans to ask him questions in person while he's signing their books because he's a nice guy (and I suspect because signing for hours on end with no conversation but 'I really like your books' is probably a bit tedious). He used to write out random cosmere hints on request, but he doesn't do that anymore - it's all questions. For spoilers or undecided things, he might give you a RAFO, which stands for Read And Find Out, a phrase he inherited from Robert Jordan. Rarer is the PAFO, which is 'Go ask Peter Ahlstrom, he's the guy I hired to handle continuity and I can't recall this particular detail at the moment'.

From the signings I've been to, most authors tend to have the people who bought whatever book is being promoted from the store in the front of the queue, and each cycle through you get three or four books signed - so if you bring a collection of like, fifteen books, expect to go through the line a few times. Typically you don't technically need to buy anything, but it's polite.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

I don't think I'd wait longer than an hour to get a signature, I guess they don't really mean much to me. Meeting the guy would be more important to me.

What is the appeal in getting something signed anyway? Assuming you don't want it so it's worth more (which is just greed imo)

It's a souvenir, you get to hang out with other fans, and it makes the book more personal. And if it's a new release signing, who cars if you have to wait in line? You literally just got a new book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

Yeah I appreciate that it might mean that. I can understand waiting hours in line for a brand new book and getting it signed would be a bonus, I still don't think I would do it though.

Well, you get the book right at the beginning, so you can read it in line. Getting the book is the quick bit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a WoR prologue reading on youtube as well. Not sure if I linked it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

keiran_helcyan posted:

Sanderson seems to love groan-inducing, lame, Dad humor. It's an acquired taste.

He used to put lame puns of the week up on his blog ( http://mistborn.livejournal.com/ )

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wait what's the Sixth of Dusk thing? Sanderson has so much going on that it can be hard to keep up with.

Some story with magic birds. From a prompt on his writing blog apparently. A fragment of it is up on steelhunt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

Blerg. I ended up staying a lot later at work than I intended, so by the time I got out of there, I wouldn't have been able to get to Sanderson's signing before 6:30 or so. Last time I showed up that late, I didn't get out until after midnight, so I'm gonna have to catch him the next time he's in town. :(

Darn. You're still a great dude for offering, though!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In principle you could shoot him with a hemalurgic spike to steal his gold (there was a question last year about that). Problem is, aiming like that you'd basically need divine intervention to actually hit the spike point.

Presumably said divine intervention is one of the reasons the lord ruler didn't like guns. Too easy to spike people subtly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

The Lord Ruler survived decapitation supposedly. Was that likely because he also had Pewter to help with the physical healing?

Apparently he healed up so fast the blade never managed to sever the entire neck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Steelhunt just added a shallan's sketchbook. Seems to be of some sort of giant... jellyfish...island... turtle monster.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Basically, I was countering the argument that the power=dick thing is pure human psychology (i.e. absolute power corrupts absolutely because people are natively dicks, they just have too many limits to exercise it) - that's pretty clearly not the case. The powers make the Epics evil when the Epics use them, but not when Gifted to non-Epics (apparently).

It's apparently a concentration thing - gifting all to one person *does* make them evil.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

So, apparantly one of the steelhunt excerpts is from Words of Radiance. What's the best way for me to get that excerpt? If it matters, I'm currently in Ireland and I don't have PM's enabled.

If you have a reddit I can send it there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Can I have it too? I have PM's.

Sent.

Interesting, in a few weeks it looks like Sanderson is doing some event with Paolini and Dashner in NY. Seems like a bizarre combination of authors.

They also did a twitter chat

quote:

Mr Rippers ‏@Enchantedbooks 45m

@BrandSanderson Would you ever collaborate with another author, on writing a book? @paolini #fantasychat @randomhousekids
Expand
Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson 42m

@Enchantedbooks @paolini Collaboration is TOUGH. I tried it once (excluding the Wot) on a book, and it didn't turn out well. #fantasychat
Expand
Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson 27m

Fun story. Twice now, I've gotten on a plane and unexpectedly found @paolini in a seat near me. We sat together instea

Wait a second! They were on TWO plane rides and no collaboration has manifested? Unacceptable!

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

You'd want it to? I'm not sure I want Mistborn|Eragon.
It'd be like reading a trainwreck. Couldn't stop turning pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Can someone explain Compounding to me?

I'm re-reading Alloy of Law and they just explained Miles' being a double gold or whatever.

Is it he burns gold like a normal allomancer and this allows him to recharge his metalminds which he taps to allow him to burn gold like an allomancer?

Because doesn't the metal need to be ingested for the allomantic abilities to happen?

Basically, you take 10 hp of damage to create 10 black mana and put it in your goldmind.

Then, you eat your goldmind, discarding it to the graveyard. Doing that gets you ten times the mana you put in, so you now have 100 black mana. Take your 100 black mana and put it in 10 goldminds.

Tap goldmind #1 and convert 10 black mana into 10 hp. You now have 90 black mana stored. If you ever take damage again, you can turn the stored mana into hp as usual, and you can always take your stored 90 and turn it into 900 - so long as you have some goldminds to put it in.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 25, 2013