Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.tor.com/2022/09/26/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-3-4/

chapter 3 and 4 are up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Perhaps wrath is a better descriptor. We know odium is what his enemies call him, rather than being the inherent name.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have this one a bit backwards. (Mistborn arc 1 and 2 spoilers) The Lord Ruler is that way because of Preservation's power imprinting on them during the brief period they wielded the Shard's power. It's why he's driven to preserve the world as it is. IIRC Harmony makes a comment to this effect at some point as well in Lost Metal or Shadows of Self.

mistborn 1 he was always super racist though, his ideology of 'people with magical power should rule over those who lack it' is consistent

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They are from a couple places, but mainly Ashyn, the planet they ruined

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Maybe Cultivation used Nightwatcher as a proxy for Taravangian and Lift? Or has it been explicitly stated that cultivation met with them?

been stated WoB that it was her, yeah

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On the other hand [era 2 spoilers]sazed immediatley whitewashes the lord ruler and seems to view people largely as chess pieces to manipulate* rather than as being worthy of respect, so I wouldn't necessairly trust his opinions. That said I think Klesier is generally a lot more moral in his behavior than Sazed.

*the way he treats Wax is a continuation of his era 1 arc where he fully develops his philosophy that people should be given beliefs based on the usefulness of them possessing those beliefs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

Can we really put all the blame on him for that, when Brandon was the one who started it?

Those sections were written in-character.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

On Kelsier I don't know about a psychopath (maybe?) but Kelsier is definitely a sociopath. A lot of people use those words interchangeably so Brandon could have meant the latter.

He murders indescriminately, manipulates the poo poo out of everyone around him for his own goals, and has a huge God complex. Yeah, he cares about and even loves some people, but his empathy is in the background if it exists at all, and his plan to save the world is more about his own glorification and martyrdom than actually improving the lives of the people.

I would say there are moments when he veers into psychopathic behavior but it's not that common. But he is definitely a sociopath lol

I wouldn't exactly call Kelsier indiscriminate considering how absurdly over the top evil Final Empire nobles are.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

About 1 in 3 nobles are publicly known to be rapist murderers, I think it's a very fair default assumption that any given noble is guilty of something heinous.

It's certainly a lot better than Elend's "don't punish any of the nobility because of the economy" stance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

Like, I'm a total "eat the rich, acab" etc type person but that doesn't mean literally every cop and millionaire deserves murder lol. Just removal from power!

Only the really verifiably bad ones driving the bad systems deserve public justice :nsa:

I mean, when one in three of them are publicly known to rape and murder skaa on the regular, and the rest of them don't do anything about it, I'd say they're all involved in driving the system.

The problem is that Brandon way overshot how evil he wanted these guys to be, for how they're treated in later books.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 13, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Radiants all have a slew of emotional problems, kaladin fighting at 100% is different than kaladin having a ptsd breakdown.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clearly the solution is to manufacture ghosts, which you then bind as artificial spren to gain incredible magic powers. Ambitious? Yes, but nothinf could possibly go wrong with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh yeah what did folks think of the TLM chapters

https://www.tor.com/2022/10/17/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-ten-and-eleven/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaladin made the wrong decision at the end of WoR, and made the wrong decision at the beginning of OB, and I'm hoping his arc comes around to realizing that acting as a hitman for the lighteyes doesn't really protect anyone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Obviously he joins odium and changes his name to Zellion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

i had a bunch of notes I had taken while going through WoR but I lost all of them.

Two things I do remember I wanted to comment on:
1. Some Radiant spren are of Cultivation. But some people think she will be the villain of the books, or at least antagonistic. How would this effect her spren like Lift's Wyndle? Are Cryptics of Cultivation? They seem to hate Honorspren.

2. Some people think Shallan's mother was a Herald? I remember thinking she was like Teft's parents, she and her mysterious friend waned to test Shallan. But I seem to have remembered wrong since even as a young child Shallan had manifested her powers pretty blatantly. Still, dunno why some speculate she's a Herald.

1. They're all blends, 'honorspren' won the debate as to being the most pure honor and got the name, but others (like highspren) argue that they themselves are purer

2. Basically because of the timeline, a physical resemblance, and the character not appearing elsewhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe Harmony should be less of an rear end in a top hat if he wants to remain on speaking terms with people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have read a couple books where a fatal dose of radiation leads means the protagonist has nothing left to lose, and spends his 'walking ghost' phase on One. Last. Job.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there's some WoB that he's leaving 'are cognitive shadows actually the original people, or are they just a reanimated corpse of their astral body' ambiguous, along with most of the 'is there a true afterlife' type questions, since it's more interesting if there's in-universe debate and uncertainty for this kind of question

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CK07 posted:

I encourage anyone who was surprised by this to go read some Agatha Christie novels, to prepare for life after high school.

I'm kind of excited to have started following this thread as a new book is coming out, really looking forward to having someone explain whatever obscure nonsense happens in the last ten chapters. Perhaps I will then comprehend the events and their significance within a day or two instead of months, making me look really smart and not at all annoying and pedantic in front of my partner :actually:

oh it's simple, the entire alloy era plot was an elaborate heist for Hoid to obtain the final dragon ball

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't believe MeLaan tells Wayne that he was an incredible bang, best in history

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shallan is also super racist, and is vocally blind to it in a very familiar and grating way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

I don't recall this, what are instances where it happened?

*meets kaladin*
*immediately robs him while doing a racist Unkalaki impression*
Later:
Kaladin complains that lighteyes treat darkeyes like their playthings and don't respect them or treat them as equals.
Shallan: "Oh yeah, well since WHEN have I EVER done anything to you HMM? Maybe YOU are the real racist?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the ending wayne detonated ettmetal next to trellium - and replicated wax's accidental lerasium production on a massive scale. so there is now a huge plume of vaporized lerasium and atium blowing over the most population dense city on the planet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Ghostbloods they seem to follow Kells concept of "crime, for the greater good", while without supervision Mraize and his group seem to be "crime, for my good". I'm sure the Scadrial Ghostbloods themselves also get

End of The Lost Metal Physics It really bothers me that Harmony told Wax the boat bomb would destroy both cities. A few hours apart by ship is 75ish miles, and a massive explosion loses more of it's energy to the upper direction as it grows. To do even what the water + Harmonium reaction did at that distance would still be around 5MT. Even if each of the bombs was a Gigaton of TNT equivalent it still probably wouldn't destroy both cities. Sterris was very wise to be concerned about tidel waves though.

nukes don't cause tidal waves, but it at least is something people were thinking about irl before it was tested so she gets a pass.

I'd assume these are closer to a theoretical antimatter bomb when detonated fully, instead of the 'fizzle' wayne caused

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

my understanding is that he literally stops this specific thing from happening

Wax accidentally makes it by doing full on Cosmere Fission to a tiny amount, Wayne specifically stops that from happening and only detonates the Harmonium ensuring that Cosmere Fission does not actually happen

Wax got his powers from the accidental second explosion in his basement, which was due to detonating ettmetal next to trellium, rather than the first bigger explosion which involved the polarized electrified ettmetal.

This is also probably why the Set didn't figure it out - they were all in on polarized ettmetal and didn't futz around with splitting vapor from normal ettmetal blasts

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

TLM epilogues I'm surprised Kelsier immediately accepts Sazed's claim that any lerasium produced from the splitting experiments is "destroyed by the explosion". Granted that Sazed has had hundreds of years to become more practiced at lying, but it still strikes me as the sort of thing Kelsier would want to investigate himself just in case.

Kelsier knows Sazed is lying because Sazed turned Spook into a mistborn already

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it was the person who first touched them, who immediately left with the Malwish afterwards

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.tor.com/2022/11/01/mistborn-era-2-everything-you-need-to-know-before-reading-the-last-metal/comment-page-1/

Tor has a good pre-TLM recap

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, coppermind has the nice 'time machine' feature where they let you browse the wiki as it was the day before release

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think we will give you superpowers if you train to kill this guy, and if you succeed, you will be well paid and god will give you extra benefits is an offer that there is no shortage of takers for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

TLM secondary character spoiler: I've now seen elsewhere online that Moonlight was Shai, and... what? Are there some pretty major clues I missed somehow, or are people really doing that solely off of "is a female Forger"? Because Shai would have all her self-changing Essence Marks (and the ultra martial artist one would have come in handy), she wouldn't be so amateur as to forge a mark where she wouldn't know if she'd remember her true self afterwards, and I'm pretty goddamn sure the timeline in no way lines up.

Her name is shai, but with the elantrian pronunciation when she transforms. I'm guessing she had some issues with bringing her magic to scadrial, explaining her relative level of unpreparedness

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I'm glad Sanderson seems to have dropped is the idea of "snapping" or "being broken" as a requirement for special abilities. It makes certain events from TSA backstory sound perfectly good and rational if suffering and near death situations bring out magical powers.

So far as I know, Wax and Wayne can just do their thing, no need to nearly die for it. The idea was also really stupid considering there were hundreds of Radiants once upon a time. You can't build a military order by hoping your recruits get hosed up.

From what I understand, in stormlight it's still there, but as something that makes things easier but isn't required. In mistborn it got changed because god didn't like it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only times that sazed seems to be capable of acting is when he's destroying things. People keep talking about his imbalance being a problem, but maybe it's the only reason he can act at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

He did Preserve Wax after the explosion, but that was a relatively small scale thing. And he worked quite hard to preserve the cities in the Basin, so I'm not sure I agree with the statement that he can only act when he's destroying things.

wax survived without any direct intervention - the time sazed seened to actually be actively helping him was in the tower when wax went into a berserk fugue

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whoops must have missed that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Missed opportunity forher to call Wanye a fantastic bang instead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i am not sure if trellium gets depleted in the process though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Something I don't think I've seen anyone discuss ITT: Any hypothesis about who drained the Bands?
[/spoiler]

The most likely suspect is the person who last touched them, said they were drained, and then immediately left with the Malwish ambassador. she's a leecher or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

I'm really impressed how he's basically picking a public fight with Audible. I love audiobooks and so as a consequence I use Audible because that's all there is, but man I would love an alternative. Hopefully one that isn't Spotify, though.....

Speechify?