Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Literally the minor-est of spoilers for Tress, about a quarter of the way through: At the start of chapter 24, Hoid refers to himself as a Worldbringer. Is that a typo? Sigzil has always referred to himself and Hoid as Worldsingers.

There's old WoB that he's a feruchemist (may or may not still be canon) so he's possibly one of the OG worldbringers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some stuff is being saved for the next 6+ books

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Anyone remember/know when the physical books are supposed to be showing up?

apparently they were delayed by the printer so he swapped the January and February rewards

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

logically it's odiumium

or the shard is actually named odi

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently there were enough issues that some copies of Mistborn got printed by a self publishing hosue

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I kind of feel like being late by 1 or 2 months is early fulfillment for a kickstarter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I will say it is a hilarious way to make sure nobody agrees to give you an interview again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If he just wanted to write a hit piece on a fantasy author, dude, piers anthony is still inexplicably not in jail

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He actually sold the rights a few times and nothing got made, and they eventually reverted to him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zelazny

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a43438119/brandon-sanderson-profile/

Esquire just put out a profile that's not a weird hit piece.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megazver posted:

Someone saw an easy opportunity to get a viral article and took it. Good for them.

Apparently they started it 5 months ago

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And for the most recent books, the coppermind wiki has a 'time machine' feature that lets you browse it at checkpoints set the day before each book's release, so you can look up info without spoilers from that book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it's pretty carefully phrased since the last few chapters of HoA have Sazed freeing the kandra from the Second Generation's coup, so anyone reading tress first would think it was that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a new hit piece is out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wangsucker 69 posted:

This prose discussion has me wondering, because I’m no English/literary expert, what fantasy works are considered to have good prose? I’m curious.

Zelazny

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Not making sense is the point. Historical texts all lie to you. All narrators are biased and unreliable.

I never really understood it but I at least finished the original 10.

I mean that's a huge part of the Witcher too but you still understand what's happening

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh it's simple. Brandon was stalled on shadows of self so he wrote bands of mourning first to unjam himself without telling anyone
So he submitted his final draft of shadows of self to his editor and then at the end of it snuck in a full additional unannounced novel.

They thought it was funny enough that they wanted to do that to the fanbase too, which they did with secret history

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technically a sufficiently caught-up-on-dumb-poo poo-like-brandon-writing-a-fanfic-for-a-character-tournament fan could know that between mistborn 3 and 4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Which one is closest to Sailor Moon.

Tress, by a long shot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vin 3.0 is the third clone of vin, also known as Viiin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The character in question signs the maps, so you know the name if you read it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's the highly produced graphic audio but they're expensive

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

End of Warbreaker spoilers: I still don't know what the deal with that ball throwing game was. Was it just a gag about him being lucky or is there some significance/clue to his identity that I missed?

That game is a coded reference to the entire plot of the cosmere, and if you're deep enough in the lore the connections are obvious.

or maybe he's just really lucky

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stormfather tried to get a physical body and goes all Akira on Roshar, end of book 5

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the first thing you have to understand is that the colors of the balls correspond to their point value or something, gently caress if I've read that scene at any point in the last 10 years

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think Isåac Stewart, one of the artists is gonna get to write a Nazh novel at some point

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A different viewpoint character than Szeth could have worked, and would have made the first impression a bit less videogame tutorial-ey

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

How is there a Shallan pin I don't have and people are eBaying a Vasher pin I don't have, what the gently caress, I thought there weren't supposed to be boxes on book months? I'm genuinely annoyed.

I only got the book and it came in a box??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alkanos posted:

Yumi / Final Fantasy X spoilers
I love how he brought up FFX in the afterward in a way that didn't spoil the whole Tidus Zanarkand ending. He's all "FFX was a big influence for their fantasy jobs" which is perfectly acceptable sounding for someone who hasn't beaten it. But anyone who has finished it knows exactly what was influenced by the game. So it's a nice nod to the fans without ruining things for someone who decides to give the game a try.

Did you read the second epilogue where Yumi kicks a booby-trapped soccer ball and it explodes, killing her again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

You're going to have to give people at least a temporary and provisional pass on the slavery thing if you want to like anyone. It's systemic. I'm spoilering this bit not because it's a spoiler, but just because I can't remember if it's something that's been explicitly explained to you yet or not: they live in a world with an actual separate species who are, in fact, only barely sapient. Unlike our world, there's a very strong possibility that the Parsh, left to their own devices, would simply die because they're incapable of caring for themselves.

Well, except that
given that they have had thousands of years of cultural transmission of their burial rituals, and parshmen that act too smart get punished, I think the Alethi perspective is at best a semi-intentional self-delusion

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nobody tell him about [spoiler]Xaladink[/spolier]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

to be fair, if you have read the other books it's a fair guess that the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room is hoid

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Definitely do not read this new readers unless you are super caught up, My friends keep pushing the "Shallan's mother was Chanarach" theory which while plausible I kind of hope isn't true since it would add yet another layer of insaneness to her already overloaded backstory.

shallan IS chanarach, she had a mental breakdown when killing her daughter and out of grief and guilt convinced herself she was shallan instead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The soul inheritance can result in weird things. Like how the Royal Locks in warbreaker are not inherited biologically, but following the royal line of succession

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was so cool to learn he was lucky because [Spolier]kaladin's brother from the dark timeline is protecting him via time travel, the reveal that the "highstorm thunder" and "small brass drinking cups" kaladin keeps finding are the sound and shell casings from his brother sniping kaladin's enemies with a M1 Garand are a big highpoint [/spoiler]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There was a bug for that in some printings iirc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be fair a competent leader could have just said I have witnessed two men win shardblades in the arena, against a staggering disadvantage, and in admiration of their feat, I grant the right of challenge to both brightlord Adolin and brightlord Kaladin.

And it would have made the challenge even more legit, a darkeyes winning a shardblade unarmed it the type of legendary poo poo a boon is for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pik_d posted:

Kaladin isn't a Shardbearer on account of Shardblades being a dirty lighteyes weapon, unlike the good and honest pointy stick. They have talked about the fact that it is possible to make new Shardblades, untainted by the treachery of the Knights Radiant. I really want him to make a Shardspear though, instead of a Shardblade.
The drama of him having to choose which of them he hates more would have been great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon is on record saying that if he ever adapt it to a movie he is changing that bit.