Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Even if we accept that the war on the Shattered Plains was genocide -- and it's stretching the definition real hard to do so, given that they have no reason to believe the Listeners are a separate race from the Parshmen, no reason to believe that all the Listeners in existence are at the Shattered Plains to be killed, and also they've never once killed a non-combatant which, to me, seems like sort of an important detail? -- that's not why Kaladin decides Elhokar needs killing.

Their goal was explicitly to "wipe out" the listener race (as the terms of the vengeance pact were set). Exterminating a race is like, the definition of genocide. They recognize that the 'parshendi' are a separate group from the 'parshmen' (even giving them different names), that they are only on the shattered plains, and the alethi measure their progress based on how many they kill. Their goal is unambiguous - the only time Dalinar considers any other outcome for ending the war is when he finds the other highprinces are (A) insufficiently committed to killing parshendi, and (B) the kingdom's political stability appears to be negatively effected by the war.

The main strategy is starving them to death (as dalinar outlines in WoK). The alethi accomplished by driving the listeners from their homes and fields, then killing any hunters that go foraging for wild animals, and any wild animals they could use as a supply of food, in what is a very obvious analog for how western settlers did the same thing

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Words of Radiance Part 3

Whew.

TLDR: This part had some great moments and then ended with me audibly shout "oh gently caress off!"

Okay, lets try to make this brief.

- Kaladin is a loving idiot. Goddamn he annoys the poo poo out of me. "This is what you get for trusting lighteyes. I'm never trusting them again!" is when I yelled "oh gently caress off!" I can't tell if he or Elhokar is the more petulant child in this situation. Does Kaladin stub his toe and then blame the lighteyes for that as well? At least at this point in the story, I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would like this character. Dalinar was literally advocating for you immediately after you hosed up all of his plans and yet you still want to bitch and moan. gently caress off.

- I guess this is what will get Kaladin on board to kill Elhokar.

To be fair, a darkeyes without a shardblade defeating a shardbearer is the type of legendary badassery that the king's boon is for, not the contrived poo poo that adolin was trying. If elhokar had just granted it instead of storming off they'd have caught sadeas more securely than they had otherwise

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

True, but we all know, and Kaladin knows, Elhokar is an idiot. Elhokar specifically says “What would you like for your book, Adolin” and then Kaladin makes it about him.

Kaladin is like if Kelsier was an idiot.

Worse than that, Elhokar is canonically a narcissist, which makes everything about him come into sharp focus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think Raboniels suggestion was... well she was just petty, it's the closest surge to Honor and the one they lack, so she denigrates it as a defense. "oh that, well I didn't even want it anyway and it sucks too!" That's how I interpreted that personally.

Oh, no, she's totally correct, there was a post book 4 magic system retcon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but he'll be dead and I'm sure whoever inherits his estate likes money.

depends on how much other authors like GRRM. Zelazny told one of friends once he didn't want him writing amber sequels (since he wanted amber to be his own possession), and in response everyone who was his friends in SFF circles (people like brust, neil gaiman, grrm, etc) refused to work on it, and told other people not to do it either.

The estate eventually found someone who was willing to bend the rules enough to do a series of prequels but it was some no-name and they kinda sucked.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I strongly disagree. There's absolutely no logical or competent way to get to King Bran, and Dany turning heel is completely unworkable because she's been an unabashed savior whose greatest flaw so far is that she's so desperate to give her people a good life that she accepts a series of obviously bad deals and treats an insurgency with kid gloves. (And don't give me "oh she killed a bunch of people" because those were loving slavers, and yes actually, it is completely morally justified to massacre slavers wherever you find them.)

In the show absoltuely. In the books she has internal monologues where she all but states she'll burn the city to the ground the moment she gets a chance

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Related, is it explicitly stated that the safehand is always the right? I assumed it was just the non-dominant hand since I don't remember it being explicitly mentioned

the left hand is always covered, which means lefties have more trouble

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats more a thing from his earliest unpublished books from before Elantris. They get mentioned in The Lost Metal and are relevant to the worldbuilding of Tress but otherwise not at all (yet) related to the main plot of the cosmere.

e; Nobody should go click on coppermind links unless you're caught up, even if youre careful its hard not to spoil yourself.

If you are reading in publication order you can use the time machine and filter out spoilers based on when things were published.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I really wish coppermind would implement something like the Dwarf Fortress wiki - at the top of every page is a major version selector, and it displays the page applicable to that version, all the way back to 2007

You don't even have to do it by book, just like some major demarcations.

Taht's the time machine. It's a wiki wide setting, checkpoints before each major book release

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Rhythm of War is related to [spoiler]the Beat of Battle, the Sonata of Slaughter, and the Orchestra of Overkill [spoiler]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also, when thinking of “Hollywood version of Stormlight Archive,” none of the protags would be “ugly.” Even if that’s a character trait in the books. They’re not going to cast someone unattractive to be a protag.

the term is 'character actor'

socialsecurity posted:

All the Stormlight actors need to be like 7 feet tall to be book accurate, so when the crossovers start happening you can tell the other world hoppers by how short they are at like 6 feet.

easy just cast the only major offworlder, Hoid, as Danny Devito

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I just wonder, if you can bond multiples, why hasn’t someone who owns several — like the king — ever tried to dual-wield them? Why do people who win another Blade immediately look for someone else to give it to?

they're already impractically big

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Stormlight spoilers, also content warning for sexual assault (was gonna abbreviate this ‘SA’ but, well) The alethi practice cultural genocide and chattel slavery against the listeners, there’s pretty much nothing that’s beneath them in my mind. The only reason there aren’t heavy themes of sexual violence perpetrated against so-called “parshmen” is that Brandon’s imagination isn’t nearly violent enough to include such a heinous practice in his books, I think.

Edit to add I’m not really clamoring for that kind of content, in fact I read these stories because there’s a refreshing lack of over-the-top sexual violence relative to a lot of modern adult fantasy.

It's all over the place in mistborn so I think we can assume there's some reason it doesn't happen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

- Dalinar (or was it Adolin?) mentions how they sent messengers to try to open talks with the Listeners but they were all killed.

Iirc the messengers weren't killed, they just (according to the alethi) refused to give an answer. we know the leaders gave at least a partial explanation to jasnah before they were dragged off and tortured, so the alethi party line on this doesn't match what's shown.

probably the alethi didn't want to believe it - there's a great bit of characterization for jasnah where instead of trying to figure out what the hell her dad was doing, she hides any evidence he could have brought it upon himself and instead spends half a decade trying to prove he was killed by literal demons from hell

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

SA speculation spoilers: That could have been "ordinary" interbreeding, but when you have people who can redesign other people's bodies there's other ways that the two peoples might have intermingled over however long this cyclical conflict has been going on. I am also very suspicious that at least one of the Unmade might be able to create a cross-bred human/listener, and possibly more than one. Ba-Ado-Mishram appears to have expressed Connection, and her imprisonment seems to have disrupted Connection across the entire planet, so perhaps she was involved.

I missed my chance to make first-read posts, but before I forget some of my initial thoughts and reactions I want to make a few summary posts here. This first one covers Mistborn era 1, so spoilers for that:

Overall, I really enjoyed these books, and thought many of the twists/mysteries were fairly done. I did get upset about the Book 2 twist that Ruin can change text written on any non-metal: there's almost no indication that this is possible until the twist becomes known, and there's no way to intuit that a being called "Ruin" would be able to change words instead of simply making them unreadable.

The main clue there, comparing the versions of the text in the epigraphs against the versions in the rest of the book was a neat hint, but in a few regions overzealous publisher proofreaders actually made them consistent

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My favorite story about him finishing WoT is that the only explanation in jordan's notes of who killed asmodean was a printout of a fanfic where sherlock holmes solves the mystery, and a penciled in note "this is correct"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

That's amazing. Is the specific fanfic publicly known?

https://fanfiction.net/s/4975913/1/Sherlock-Holmes-Examines-the-Death-of-Asmodean

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I decided to read TWoK to give it another fair chance, and the Prologue is interesting in two respects. First, it's hilarious how Szeth is an overpowering force of nature for the first two books, but looking at him with four books' worth of knowledge, it's obvious just what a weak reflection of a Radiant he is. He can't hold Stormlight worth a drat and spends too much to do too little (he says it'll take him hours to recover from a broken jaw, and couldn't recover if a Shardblade took out a limb), needs ten heartbeats to summon his Blade, can't shapeshift it, and couldn't wear Plate without it interfering with his powers. All he has going for him is being an out-of-context problem and his superior training. Second, and more disappointing, is that Sanderson is cheating, which is something he very rarely does if at all. The narration repeatedly and frequently refers to Szeth's Shardblade. He knows drat well that's not what he's using. It's a cheat.

they're all subsets of shardblades, yes even that one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

When is the "right time" to take the Knights Radiant quiz? I remember taking it in the past, though I don't know what my results were.

Also, almost done with Edgedancer and Nale is such a good antagonist. There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than people who are super rigid about the law.

I believe it launched with book 3

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

taco_fox posted:

What is his aversion to selling things through a regular storefront

He saw the power amazon has over authors and wants to make sure there is an alternative.

Apparently him playing hardball with audible has actually budged the needle on general author contracts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

here's the post about the audible negotiations, looks like he's improved things a bit for everyone
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/regarding-audible/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Either those are deliberate lies or Testament is a retcon.

My take is that pattern was the spren in the soulcaster fabriel

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

four books later we find out that stonewards get ten shardblades at the first oath

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brando has issues differentiating admiration and arousal

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He did a bit of streaming ER when it came out, the main thing he'd troll the audience with was refusing to spend his souls and referring to thr counter as his highscore

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just wear aluminum body paint, never leak investiture. Easy!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon forgot how evil he made the final empire nobles

also, backerkit is over 100,000 preorders, wow

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 30, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean, based on the numbers in thr books, if you stab three noblemen you'll have hit one serial rapist and murderer, so you dom't have to be thst extreme to see them as basically irredeemable by default.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New lore dropped

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/1bsu1oa/sharing_my_personalized_the_lost_metal_which/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No, I think Keisier just has a very Vorin name

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Unrelated note: Brandon Sanderson going this four-week break means we will get another secret project and, finally, a step forward for the Mistborn Movie/TV series since he said he is heading to Hollywood.

E: The more I think about it, the more I realize the Cosmere is a sitting diamond mine worth billions in terms of entertainment value if it's developed and adapted properly for Movies and TV Series.

official word from the latest weekly update is not to make a big deal about it, apparently it's fairly routine stuff but he didn't say what it was (maybe WoT season 3 consulting?)

apparently the previous mistborn movie got as far as putting people in mistcloaks and casting a lord ruler before it fell through

" it really is no biggie. He’s meeting people and doing things, but it’s not anything exciting enough to announce or even tease."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

We already have a CCU, the Graphic Audios are a movie in your mind!

Also Brandon would probably get burnt out desperately trying to prevent Hollywood from whitening the Stormlight cast.

Just make it in bollywood

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Which annotations? There's the author notes which you shouldn't read on a first reading

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I think it's a fantastic moment. It frustrated the hell out of me to. I was listening to my audiobook while driving and literally shouted out "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!"

Like, Kaladin is right. The system is hosed. The caste system is hosed. He should be able to challenge Amaram. The thing is - Kaladin is one dude. No matter how right he is, he can't just bypass the entire system of society in that moment. Young Dalinar would probably agree with him. But older Dalinar has seen the limitations of what one man can do.

to be fair If elhokar hadn't hosed up and thrown a hissy fit, Kaladin totally could have gotten a boon and it would have made the plan work better. A darkeyes defeating a shardbearer in defense of his lighteyed master and becoming elevated for that is the stepped-out-of-a-legend type of once in a lifetime accomplishment that a king's boon is for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I mean that's debatable. Kaladin may have defeated people in the duel, but the shards are Adolin's, not Kaladin's.

Nobody is going to raise that objection, if the head of House Kholin and king says the shards were won by Kaladin, they were won by Kaladin, and it isn't like Adolin would object to it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course if we really get into the weeds adolin technically cheated since
Maya + Adolin + Renarin + Glys + Renarin's Bladespren + Kaladin + Syl + Pattern = 8 people on Team Adolin,
while his opponents were only four dudes with three shardblades, or 7 people

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

That is a very stupid theory that makes no sense. We can start with the fact that Chana is the patron of the Dustbringers, not the Lightweavers, move from there to the part where Nale is repeatedly mentioned as the only Herald to actually join a Radiant order, and keep going from there, if anyone really wants to.

nale is explicitly the only one to join his OWN radiant order.

Also if we are talling order representations, the dustbringer is missing on thaylen field and we have two lightweavers. Swap out the lightweaver radiamt for the dustbringer herald and the numbers work out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

WoBs confirmed long ago that Chana is Shallan's birth mother and Lin is the father

That doesnt preclude Shallan being a very real biological daughter who is now dead and being impersonated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

How and when did this daughter die, and why does neither Shallan's father nor brothers notice? Is your theory that when Shallan kills her mother, what actually happened is her mother killed Shallan, whipped up a Lightweaving to disguise them as each other, one which held up even though whatever funeral arrangements were done on the mother's body, and then constantly kept it up for the next five years, even though "Shallan" had a small child's body and her actual adult body was still there and could be noticed by being bumped into, was fitted for clothes which she then wore, grew at a believable pace even though growing is imperceptable day-by-day, oh and also she's somehow maintained this illusion both times she's been in Shadesmar and has had periods of days or weeks where all the Stormlight has run out and she quite explicitly has none and no way to get more?

we've seen herald reflexes. as depicted, there's no way a small child could possibly successfully kill a herald.

shallan tried to kill her mom (as depicted), but instead of succeeding, her mom instead immediately killed her.

out of grief (and herald brain syndrome) chana went from wishing she had been the one to die instead, to CONVINCING herself she was the one to die instead. as with any highly invested cosmere entity, the body reflects the self image (as in yumi), so she then took on shallan's appearance. It is possible she may have committed suicide and Returned as Shallan, creating the body however heralds do that.

this explains several mentions from "shallan"'s pov that "shallan" is a fake identity.

formless is the original totally nuts chana persona, suppressed so hard "shallan" refuses to give a name.

Brandon was asked about that theory at dragonsteel and said "That's uh... that's really dark"

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also for avoidjng spoilers. The coppermind wiki does have a time machine mode (where you set it to the wiki as of the day before a book was released), but it only really works well for like, oathbringer and on when they had a decently built wiki