Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

He looks so happy with those Hugos. I know I would be too.

I like how he has a pen in his pocket. Because you know he probably cranked out another novella on the back of his placemat while he waited for the other awards to be presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Narmi posted:

There's one for voidbinding

I like how all of the surge glyphs are mirrored along the vertical access, whereas the equivalent one in the voidbinding chart has one side also flipped horizontally (transformation, division, and adhesion don't fit this pattern quite as well as the others).

I also wonder what is the deal with safehands. I figure it has to have some meaning lost to the current generation who are just passing it down as tradition, similar to the way lighteyes are still given social stature. It's mentioned too often to not have some hidden purpose (ala in Mistborn Vin's earring).

Also on bondsmiths: Wasn't it mentioned there were only three? Maybe only whoever bonds Honor, Cultivation, and Odium shards gets to be bondsmith? Though now I know there is a whole separate thing for voidbinding, bonding Odium doesn't make sense for creating a surgebinder. Also, the name "bondsmith" sort of implied to me that they eventually hand out spren to figure out who gets to be surgebinders and of what type. Makes even more sense given Dalinar is assigned to re-found the Knights Radiant.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I still want to know how the mechanical Allomancy from the southern continent works.

Batteries are basically just two types of metal sharing electrons with each other. Perhaps having a coppermind instead of regular copper results in some sort of super battery.

Or maybe it's even simpler, like using a misting's super powers to pedal-power a machine or generator or something. "The allomantical revolution triggered rapid growth and prosperity, until it all came crashing down when we reached peak pewter."

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It will probably something else entirely, some insane combination of several world's magical system.

It's probably related to the shardpools. Sanderson confirmed that the one in Elantris (where Elantrians go to "die") and the one in Stormlight (in the Horneater peaks) are related. Rock tells a story of seeing a "God" walk out of the pool (probably Hoid).

(on second thought, not Hoid because Rock would recognize him as Wit)

JagGator fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2015

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Not really a spoiler, but Bands seems to have way more jokes about boobs, dicks, and lesbians than typical Sanderson, which is to say there are more than zero.